PDA

View Full Version : Hiking alone

Waterbuffalo
12-09-2005, 16:12
I going to throw this one out there since today I did my first solo day hike. I found out I hate hiking alone all of my trips have been well planned with a couple college friends.Today I decided I didn't want to work so I took a hike. Anyone else not like hiking alone or am I freak of nature?

snowhoe
12-09-2005, 16:22
I too didnt really like hiking alone until I started doing more of it and now it doesnt bother me if someone is with me or not. Try getting a walkman or cd player and just start hiking. I think you should hike alone sometimes because it really makes you take a deep look at yourself inside. Whats really going to get you is try a overnight backpacking trip by yourself.

Mouse
12-09-2005, 16:30
I love hiking alone, but met many and many on the Trail who did not. So you in good company!

bfitz
12-09-2005, 16:56
I love going out alone...you never know who I'll meet... I've made some really good friends that way.

Rough
12-09-2005, 17:26
Have solo day hiked the past couple of summers and last summer several multi-day solo hikes. Loved it - met some great folks on the trail, hiked at my own pace, made all the decisions about how far to go, when/where to stop - in fact, the anticipation of solo overnights led me to chuck my 2-person tent and buy a Clark hammock. The hammock worked great and kept me out of the shelters!

Of course I checked in with my wife at least once/day via cell phone so was I really alone?

Seeker
12-09-2005, 18:07
i love hiking solo... no phones, customers, kids, wife, tv, or anything... complete selfishness and freedom... go where you want, walk for as long as you want, stop when you want, start when you get the itch to move again, eat when and what you want, and sleep when you want... you can think about what you want for as long as it takes to puzzle it out.... it's my preferred 'style'... after the second day, there's an indescribable peace that settles into you... like you're part of the environment, just another animal crawling over the face of the planet... all your senses come alive again... you can hear and smell things you'd never thought of before... you sleep deeper, dream better, and are yourself again after about a week of it... if you're lucky, you get to exist in this 'new' world for another 3 or 4 days until it's time to come off your two week vacation... longest i've gone completely without running into anyone is two days though... hard to really get away from everyone in most places these days... still, folks going in the opposite direction are good for information, and they ask me the same stuff (water, top of hill, next intersection/shelter/campsite back, etc.).there is safety in numbers though... man is designed to be a social animal, in my opinion... but it's nice to get away from it all once in awhile, and just 'be'...

smokymtnsteve
12-09-2005, 18:26
I dig hiking alone ...have been out in the winter in the smokies and not even seen anyone else for 3 days....

now I like to dog mush alone...nothimg like being out under the northern lights at 20 below with just your team of dogs..

last feb I spent the whole month up in a cabin that was a mile and half off the Parks hwy, in Healy AK, which is inthe middle of NOWHERE,,,the closest grocery store is in FBKS which is a 125 road miles away...I had all my supplies stocked for the month so I didn;t leave the mtn top that month,,,

but then again I might be the freak nature or even a nature freak.

I just love going snowshoeing at midnight at 20 below...there was this frozen lake a couple miles from the cabin,,,Iwould get up at night and hike over and then hang out take a nap in this igloo I had built there, wasn't totally alone I would always take Ganges with me.

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=6366&catid=member&imageuser=477

MisterSweetie
12-09-2005, 18:38
I love hiking alone, but camping alone is a different story.

GolfHiker
12-09-2005, 20:59
Good topic.. When I decided to try my first solo, I went out for a weekend. I loved it, saw only 2 or 3 other people, and just enjoyed the solitude. Next I did a 6 day hike in the Smokies, only seeing folks along the trail and in the shelters. Best of both worlds. Hike your own pace during the day, and have company at night. Mostly I discovered that when you're on your own, all of your senses kick in, and since you don't have anyone else to rely on, you just seem to do things better, smarter, etc. I love it, but would not want to just go solo, since the social aspect of hiking is so much fun.

Auntie Mame
12-10-2005, 00:46
I dig hiking alone ...have been out in the winter in the smokies and not even seen anyone else for 3 days....

now I like to dog mush alone...nothimg like being out under the northern lights at 20 below with just your team of dogs..

last feb I spent the whole month up in a cabin that was a mile and half off the Parks hwy, in Healy AK, which is inthe middle of NOWHERE,,,the closest grocery store is in FBKS which is a 125 road miles away...I had all my supplies stocked for the month so I didn;t leave the mtn top that month,,,

but then again I might be the freak nature or even a nature freak.

I just love going snowshoeing at midnight at 20 below...there was this frozen lake a couple miles from the cabin,,,Iwould get up at night and hike over and then hang out take a nap in this igloo I had built there, wasn't totally alone I would always take Ganges with me.

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=6366&catid=member&imageuser=477

Great pup and cabin shots. I can appreciate the cabin experience a little bit, have been spending 3-4 days on the last couple of weekends in a little spot, writing a grad. thesis and finding out how much I like to be alone. Not to leave for a few days has been wonderful for me, a whole month must be very powerful.

smokymtnsteve
12-10-2005, 00:49
Great pup and cabin shots. I can appreciate the cabin experience a little bit, have been spending 3-4 days on the last couple of weekends in a little spot, writing a grad. thesis and finding out how much I like to be alone. Not to leave for a few days has been wonderful for me, a whole month must be very powerful.

did U have running water, electricity or oil heat??

Two Speed
12-10-2005, 07:30
I believe a lot depends on your definition of solo hiking.

If you mean leaving the trail head as a party of one I almost always backpack solo. If you mean going days without meeting another person I almost never go solo hiking on the AT.

Skeemer
12-10-2005, 07:31
SMS says:
I just love going snowshoeing at midnight at 20 below...:eek:

Man U 1 sick puppy!

justusryans
12-10-2005, 07:55
did U have running water, electricity or oil heat??

Hey steve, cool photo's! Whatcha gonna do with your yurt?

Doctari
12-10-2005, 10:33
I was going to hike with someone who, like you, didn't want to solo. I always solo hike. So we came up with a plan, she would take off in the AM & I would follow about 1/2 hr later, as I am a stronger hiker I wold usually be just a little behind her. So, if she needed: help, companionship, etc. I would only be a little time in comming. We would then spend the night at the same camp or shelter. This worked well, she now has no problem going solo, which works as her husband dosn't like to hike and we no longer have the same schedule.

Doctari.

Shutterbug
12-10-2005, 14:47
I have hiked the Wonderland Trail (Washington) and the Colorado Trail (Denver to Brekenridge) alone. On one section of the Colorado Trail, I went three days without having a conversation with another person. At one point I could see a fisherman on a stream a couple of miles down the mountain, but he was just a speck in the distance. During the first day of the three days, I developed a kidney stone that I could not pass -- it turned out to be a long three days!! When I finally came to a road, I flagged down a pickup to take me to the hospital -- still, I value the experience. It is experiences like that one that builds confidence to make it in the wilderness alone.

Last summer, I planned to hike the 100 mile wilderness alone. During the 10 days in the wilderness, I didn't spend more than two hours without meeting someone on the trail. Only one night did I camp at a location where I was alone.

It is still possible to hike alone in Washington. I recently hiked a section of the Pacific Coast near Ozette, WA. When the tide came in, access to my camp site was cut off. For about 8 hours, I knew I was totally alone. It seems to me that when I know I am totally alone, my senses are heightened. The night sounds are awesome!! I hear things during the night that only my imagination can identify. During the dark hours there are lots of sounds of movement. If I shine my flashlight out of the tent, it isn't unusual to see beedy eyes looking back. Early in the morning, well before the sun comes up, the sea lions on the sea stacks begin to bark. They must awaken the birds, because it isn't too much later that the birds begin to sing (or make whatever sound they make). All of those sounds are mixed in with the sounds of the ocean. All in all, the sounds of nature with no human voices mixed in is a beautiful concert that can only be heard by hiking alone. I sure enjoy it.

smokymtnsteve
12-10-2005, 18:01
:eek:

Man U 1 sick puppy!

as the late great Elvis would say

"THANK U ..THANK u VERY MUCH"

Chef2000
12-10-2005, 18:27
Every long distance hike I have done was a solo. I hiked the Colorado trail this past summer from Denver to Buena Vista ( 200 miles). I saw at least one person everyday, but camped alone every night. The solitude was oppresive at times, but then i would remember this scene from a 50 mile sobo on the AT from Fontana to Winding Stair gap. I was camped alone at a spot right off the trail, with a sweet fire going. Around dusk a couple came hiking along from the south. They could not decide wether to move on or not. They were both really on the edge of an argument. The woman finally said " I just want you to f****in make a decision. " The man meakly answered " okay lets move on."
Hike solo. be in command of your own destiny. Stop when you want, go into town when you want, etc.

smokymtnsteve
12-10-2005, 19:12
or B able to make a ******decision :banana

lilmountaingirl
12-10-2005, 19:24
My first solo hike was a disaster and I swore I'd never do it again. I was lonely and I freaked myself out at night with every dang sound I heard. I tried it again (when the person i was going to hike with bailed on me) and loved it. My problem now is that I can never seem to get time to myself to do it. :(

It's not for everyone though!

MoBeach42
12-10-2005, 19:29
when we talk about being alone we're not talking about having a walkman or radio or ipod. books probably fit into this category too. All of those things are artificial companions that distract our attention from the fact that we are alone. It can be really hard to be truely alone, but walking in the woods can certainly be one of those times.

It's not untill we are truly alone that we can get enough space and find out whether we're truly at peace with who we are in those cold dark moments - and are able to find out if we're truely happy.

BW2006
12-10-2005, 21:19
I've gone out a few times alone and had a great time. I'm thru hiking the AT this year and so far am going it alone. Would love a partner though (at least one to start with)!!!Barbie

BW2006
12-10-2005, 21:22
Forgot to mention I'm looking for a female partner. If anyone's interested contact me. Barbie

Auntie Mame
12-10-2005, 22:55
Smokey Mtn Steve: To reply to your question, I have electricity, a tempwood, and bring in water. So, not primitive, but requires mindfulness to keep things running smoothly. At home we burn wood for 80% of our winter heating, but have runnning water and such. The camp is a much simpler situation.

Valmet
12-11-2005, 14:44
When I first starting hiking way back in 1970 I always went with a buddy or two. As the years went by they stopped but I could not get it out of my system. So I started going by myself. I can remember a time in 1973 when I was going from Springer to Fontanna damn there was 7 days when I did not see one person. That was amazing. I found out that I enjoyed my company, walked my own walk, and I also found out that I like being responsible for my own safety. To this day I usually solo hike. Once in a while someone wants to go with me, but I usually hike in the winter so not too many people want to go. Hiking alone is certainely not for everyone but for those who enjoy it, the crowd will never understand.

orangebug
12-11-2005, 16:06
I started hiking with friends, but got tired of constant conversation and the lack of opportunity to hear the trail or my own thoughts. My first significant solo hike was in winter in the GSMNP and a blizzard. I was freaked by it. However, once out of the snow and able to assess how well I had managed things, I was/remain very comfortable with solo hiking.

I changed that this year when I walked with Almost There before Thanksgiving. Sure, there were problems with scheduling and leaving town. Settling on a stopping spot during a nasty cold rain was an adventure. We still managed to walk mostly alone and had a very good time. His speed motivated me, and I got some good pointers about my uphill work.

Kerosene
12-11-2005, 22:05
I enjoy walking alone, but it is nice to meet up with someone at an overlook, for lunch, and at the end of the day. I don't mind going with an experienced hiker if they don't insist on walking behind me all day; we just plan for places to meet up and bring our own gear so we're self-sufficient. My wife prefers that I hike with someone, but I've gone solo enough times that she's comfortable that I know what I'm doing.

dragonfly7184
12-11-2005, 23:10
Hey BW2006: have you found any others interested? I'm craving doing an AT thru-hike someday. I think the most I could take off from my everyday responsibilities would be 6 to 8 weeks for this season. I'd love to talk further with you about your interests, expectations, background, etc. I'm new to this site so I'm assuming you can contact others separately on the side. If not, I'll keep watching this thread for a post back from you.
Anne

Alligator
12-12-2005, 00:02
... I'm new to this site so I'm assuming you can contact others separately on the side. If not, I'll keep watching this thread for a post back from you.
Anne
A private message can be sent to the person if desired. There's also a hooking up forum if you want a broader audience.

rainmaker
12-12-2005, 00:08
Some years ago I was invited by a friend to go on a winter backpacking trip to Mt. Leconte via the Bullhead Trail. I had never camped in the winter before , had minimally adequet gear and had only recently given up a pack a day habit. The night before we were to head out, it snowed and snowed and snowed. We went anyway. I soon fell behind. Little did I realize my friend was introducing me to solo winter backpacking. As the sun set, another member of our party offered to help but my friend muttered something about real mountaineers having to take care of themselves and not looking to others for help. Since then I have come to enjoy my solo treks . I now have the equipment, haven't smoked in over a decade , and am comfortable in my ability to overcome most obstacles and challenges. I suppose I should thank my former friend who no longer enjoys the same outdoor adventures we once did. He now plays golf. Ta ta ....

dragonfly7184
12-12-2005, 11:48
Thanks Alligator! I'll try it......

JoeHiker
12-12-2005, 14:00
This fall I did my first long distance hike (and first solo hike) on the Long Trail. Planned it by myself but then a friend decided to join me. I was thinking how I was going to miss out on some cool solo time but he's a cool guy so I figured it would be okay.

Then at the last minute he got a job offer he'd been waiting for a long time and couldn't come. So my hike was a solo one again. The first day/night was cool but my second day/night alone I started getting jumpy at night. It was the same every day/night after that. Each day I would see 1 or 2 people going the other way (I was heading North to South) but aside from that, I was alone. Every night at a shelter was completely alone.

The terrible weather didn't help. I spent a couple of terrible nights in shelters, being awakened by every mouse noise. Then I switched to my hammock and thought that every sound I heard was an approaching 12 foot bear. During the days I was soaked (forgot my pack cover and it rained for 8 days straight). After 8 days of solo hiking in that endless rainstorm I was getting downright loopy, talking to myself, etc. Plus I had a couple of close calls with falls in which I realized that

Finally one night I pulled off the trail and stopped at a motel. I have never been so happy to see people in my life. I just sat in the bar all night, clean and dry, just soaking up the conversations around me.

Funny thing is, after that I was fine by myself in the woods. But those first 8 days were tough and scary.

Jaybird
12-12-2005, 14:07
I going to throw this one out there since today I did my first solo day hike. I found out I hate hiking alone all of my trips have been well planned with a couple college friends.Today I decided I didn't want to work so I took a hike. Anyone else not like hiking alone or am I freak of nature?

Yo WB:

i enjoy hikin' ALONE....but, i might be a FREAK O' nature or somethin'!
i also enjoy hikin' w/ others....for short periods of time...:D

Shutterbug
12-12-2005, 14:54
After 8 days of solo hiking in that endless rainstorm I was getting downright loopy, talking to myself, etc. .

Eight days of hiking in the rain will make anyone loopy. After about three days of rain, I get loopy whether or not I am solo.

:datz

Seeker
12-12-2005, 19:13
Funny thing is, after that I was fine by myself in the woods. But those first 8 days were tough and scary.
happens to everyone...

Waterbuffalo
12-12-2005, 21:12
Thanks JB I knew already I was a freak of nature!(aren't we all freaks of nature)
So today I skipped work again I tried solo for another time and went up Blood mtn it was actually pretty good I guess I get paranoid being in the city to much has made me that way.

Moxie00
12-12-2005, 21:37
In six months on the AT I hiked alone 95% of the time. I bet I didn't camp alone more than 10 times,. You are never alone on the AT. I,like SMS, love to hike alone in the winter when it is 20 below. Once I was alone, about 30 feet up a steep ice face and I heard cleng, clang clang and looked down to see one of my crampons at the base. I made it down with one and an ice ax but since then I never go alone without a cel phone. Of course cel phones don't work nost of the time in the mountains of Maine but my wife doesn't know that. I do leave word where I am hiking and carry food and gear to spend a couple of nights, even on a day hike when I am alone. As for backpacking, I am slow and steady, my wife hikes like a race horse. Thus, we hike seperately and try to meet every few hours and always for meals and to make camp. It works for us. If we tried to hike together I doubt our marrage would have suvived 40 years. We might have killed each other by now.

Scribe
12-13-2005, 14:34
Never, ever, hike alone. Unless you know you shouldn't.

Footslogger
12-13-2005, 14:42
????????????????

HarleyHogPit
12-13-2005, 22:01
I like hiking alone but I think camping alone would be no fun. It would be great to have a hiking buddy that you really don't have to hike with but then at the end of the day you know that you will have a buddy to hang out with and talk to. I think that I would feel a lot safer too just knowing there is someone else there.

BW2006
12-13-2005, 23:56
Let's get a group of women to start together! I'm looking to start late March or Early April! Barbie W

Spirit Walker
12-14-2005, 11:13
I started my hiking and backpacking solo. I loved it. You have to be comfortable with yourself - to like yourself enough to want to spend time in your head, with just yourself for company, thinking odd thoughts, singing old songs, observing the world around you, etc. Many people are so used to always having distractions - music, tv, friends, phone - they have never really spent time alone with just their thoughts. You may discover some interesting things about yourself by spending some time alone in the woods. You will also discover a lot more about the natural world surrounding you. I know I see more when I am hiking alone. If I am talking to others, especially in a group, I only superficially observe my surroundings. The internal chatter is not about "look at that interesting mushroom/rock/tree" it is focused on the conversation. To really see, to totally be present in the world of the trail, it helps to be alone (or with someone who knows how to be silent.)

That said, I have found that I am not happy with multiple days alone. On the AT, a day or two solo was a luxury. My first thruhike was solo, but I didn't actually spend a night alone until Max Patch. On the JMT, I was alone most of the time and I was not as happy. I wanted someone to share the high points with. When I ran into another solo hiker, we tended to talk and talk and talk. I loved the beauty, but it would have been nice to share that with a compatible partner. Luckily, two years later I went back for another solo hike on the AT and met my husband and haven't done any solo hiking since. We have the best of both worlds - someone to share the highs and lows, but someone who gives us each the time and space to enjoy our thoughts and observations in silence some of the time and in conversation at other times.

Seeker
12-14-2005, 11:40
man, that was deep... spending time with yourself inside your own head... i like that... thanks for defining it so clearly...

Grampie
12-14-2005, 12:44
I guess it depends on the type of person you are. Some folks always want to have someone to talk to and feel that if something should happen to them they have help. Other folks enjoy being alone, with their own thoughts and just the great outdoors around them and have enough confidence to deal with anything that comes along. On my thru I probably hiked 1,500 or so miles alone. I kind of felt that it was more of a chalange to be alone. I'll always remember my first night alone on the trail. I was hiking with three others and they decided to stop at Rainbow Springs Campgrounds and I decided to continue alone. I was having problems with my knees and when I got to Winding Stair Gap I had enough and decided to stop. About a mile after the road I came to a small camping area next to a brook and set up my tent. I thought that someone would come along and also camp. No one came and I was alone for the night. All kinds of things went through my mind, but I finaly fell asleep. I just said to myself," I'll probably spend a lot of nights alone, so I better get used to it.
I finished my hike in Duncanon, PA on Oct. 15, after I flipped. I spent the last three days and nights alone, not even passin another hiker.

SGT Rock
12-14-2005, 12:46
Hiking alone has a different type of reward in it that hiking with others, each has their time and place.

Getting out by yourself is a good time to be alone with yourself.

Gray Blazer
12-14-2005, 12:49
I love being out there alone. It's very spiritual to me. My wife would never let me go alone again if she knew how many ladies were out there walking the trail. Did I tell you about the time I met the Swedish Bikini Backpacking Team at Tray Mountain........

Grampie
12-14-2005, 13:04
I love being out there alone. It's very spiritual to me. My wife would never let me go alone again if she knew how many ladies were out there walking the trail. Did I tell you about the time I met the Swedish Bikini Backpacking Team at Tray Mountain........
Bear Bait... Watch what you say..You may screw a lot of guys up that have been telling their wifes that all the woman on the trail are old, fat and ugly.:datz

Seeker
12-14-2005, 14:50
I guess it depends on the type of person you are. Some folks always want to have someone to talk to and feel that if something should happen to them they have help. Other folks enjoy being alone, with their own thoughts and just the great outdoors around them and have enough confidence to deal with anything that comes along. On my thru I probably hiked 1,500 or so miles alone. I kind of felt that it was more of a chalange to be alone. I'll always remember my first night alone on the trail. I was hiking with three others and they decided to stop at Rainbow Springs Campgrounds and I decided to continue alone. I was having problems with my knees and when I got to Winding Stair Gap I had enough and decided to stop. About a mile after the road I came to a small camping area next to a brook and set up my tent. I thought that someone would come along and also camp. No one came and I was alone for the night. All kinds of things went through my mind, but I finaly fell asleep. I just said to myself," I'll probably spend a lot of nights alone, so I better get used to it.
I finished my hike in Duncanon, PA on Oct. 15, after I flipped. I spent the last three days and nights alone, not even passin another hiker.

i like how after about 3 days of it, you just instinctively know whether there is anyone else around... your senses just seem to take over and protect you... you only wake up if you feel something 'odd'...

no offense to the women out there, and maybe i'm just hiking in the wrong places, but i've never seen that many beautiful women on the trail... just normal people, like the rest of us...

i did run into the whole U-Tn women's volleyball team once though, on the way from newfound gap to charlie's bunion...

MtnTopThinker
12-15-2005, 01:22
I day-hike and overnight-backpack alone and have done so all my life. Just take extra care to avoid slips and falls and always let someone know your itenerary.

Have seen more animal life that way: coyotes hunting around my campsite one night in the Mountain Bridge Wilderness of SC; family of deer walked right through camp one morning as I sat quietly drinking coffee; nearly bumped into a yearling black bear at a creek crossing--we both jumped back and he took off running through the bushes. Know thyself....

kyhipo
12-15-2005, 10:21
I like hiking alone for days at a time, and enjoy people too so I personally can take it or leave it,when I was hiking on parts of the pct,muir trail and up in Oregon at times a visitor woul have been nice besides them nasy ole rattlers :D ky

Cookerhiker
12-15-2005, 10:34
I used to prefer hiking alone - I think that hearkens back to when I was working and needed to get away from people and conversation. I know that sounds anti-social but working 10 hour days of meetings, briefings, phone calls, presentations, gripe sessions, peformance evaluations, training, etc does make you wish for some extensive quiet time.

I've discovered that I like hiking with others but it's not always easy to find someone compatible. Fortunately I have 2 backpacking partners with whom I've hiked and whose company I enjoy.

As others have pointed out, you're rarely camping alone on the AT. During my 30 day hike of NH and ME this past Aug-Sept., I only had 2 nights alone of which only one was at a shelter - the other was a stealth camp. Of course, that depends on the time and place; on my 6-day winter hike in the snows of SW Virginia last year, I only had company one night.

Seeker
12-15-2005, 12:31
I day-hike and overnight-backpack alone and have done so all my life. Just take extra care to avoid slips and falls and always let someone know your itenerary.

Have seen more animal life that way: coyotes hunting around my campsite one night in the Mountain Bridge Wilderness of SC; family of deer walked right through camp one morning as I sat quietly drinking coffee; nearly bumped into a yearling black bear at a creek crossing--we both jumped back and he took off running through the bushes. Know thyself....

"mountain-top thinker"... now why didn't i think of that for a login? :rolleyes:

hawkeye
12-15-2005, 18:39
I planned to do 2 weeks on the Long trail this past Sept. Made it two days before I walked out. I have overnighted before by myself but this time I slipped in a root in the pouring rain and landed right on my tail bone. Never fell so hard in my life! My wife never liked me going by myself but I have always been safe about it. Now I am not feeling so great about going by myself. I want to get over the fear of hurting myself out there.

Mr. Clean
12-15-2005, 20:24
I love hiking alone, but camping alone is a different story.
I totally agree! I can hike forever with no one around, and frequently do, but when I get to camp for the night, it can really suck with no one around. This is especially true when hanging hammock somewhere in the woods. I can remember sleeping near the top of a mtn, and the sound of the silence was deafening. Couldn't wait for daylight so I could hike again, and the funny thing is that I never thought of myself as a person who needed others around, especially since I grew up in a rural area and usually found myself alone.
I've never been to a shelter where there wasn't someone there, so I can't say if I'd get that lonely feeling in a shelter or not.
Maybe if I'd talk to myself alot I would like camping alone.:D

cls
12-22-2005, 19:56
I have just returned from 5 nights in GSMNP. First 4 nights I was alone in shelters. The last night there was one other person. Did not see anybody at all till the 4th day and he was going in the opposite direction. I usually hike alone but this trip was a little lonelier than usual, though not unwelcome. It got me to thinking about the cliche "Freedom isn't free". The ability to hike as fast or slow as you want, stop and go as you want, sleep when you want, eat when you want, comes at a price. For me personally, that price, being alone, is a small one to pay. In today's world, when so many of the decisions on how we live our lives are made by other people or are the result of compromises, I welcome any opportunity to make decisions for myself.

Burn
12-22-2005, 23:19
one of the grandest discoveries for me while hiking in 04 is how antisocial i am while hiking. I did want to know who was around, so i would drop by shelters to check in and see what's up, but would hike away to solo camp near a hopeful water feature. Pretty much i tried to stay near one hiking buddy, Castro "super kewl", but for the most part, i found knowing everyone and everyone knowing me wasn't an asset to my hike.

funny thing is, at trail days, i love the crowd...i still have no clue why i am what i am.

middle to middle
12-23-2005, 20:59
On my first hike I thought I wanted solitude, after three days alone I was spooky, after five days seeing no one I met a grandmother and granddaughter out for a day hike, I was so happy to talk to someone I set my pack down and changed directions and walked with them. I could see that they became suspicious of me and afraid. So I turned around and left them alone; so sad to be alone again myself. Strange world we live in.

Mags
12-24-2005, 12:04
I'll quote from the Gosepl of Abbey before Steve does. ;)

I wait. Now the night flows back, the mighty stillness embraces and includes me; I can see the stars again and the world of starlight. I am twenty miles or more from the nearest fellow human, but instead of lonliness I feel loveliness. Loveliness and a quiet exultation. --Ed Abbey

And that about sums it up for me on solo adventures.

In the "real world" I enjoy hikes with friends as it is a large part of my social life. Can't think of a better way to spend time with people who mean a lot to me.

But, something about solo hikes. Gives me a sense of connectiveness..connectivness to natures, connectiveness to myself. I am both humbled at the scope of nature yet feel exalted for spending my time in nature as well.

I like 'em both for different reasons.

smokymtnsteve
12-24-2005, 18:14
yea ..ed was turning off the generator,,,in that ole govmint trailer house he wuz stayin in that season.

Cosmo
12-27-2005, 22:48
I really like to be out alone. I spend my working days dealing with people, helping them to collaborate and work together on projects. Managing the personalities can be trying...

So not dealing with others' agendas is quite liberating and realxing. That said, sleeping alone the first night out can be challenging. I talk to myself alot, but it takes a while to get used to the difference between the noises my house makes and those the woods make. Is that a bear or a raccoon moving through the brush towards the shelter....?

Cosmo

drsukie
12-28-2005, 00:31
I really like to be out alone. I spend my working days dealing with people, helping them to collaborate and work together on projects. Managing the personalities can be trying...

So not dealing with others' agendas is quite liberating and realxing. That said, sleeping alone the first night out can be challenging. I talk to myself alot, but it takes a while to get used to the difference between the noises my house makes and those the woods make. Is that a bear or a raccoon moving through the brush towards the shelter....?

Cosmo

I agree - I work with 20-30 people every day. Love 'em, but can't wait to get home most days. This time of year is the best: a cracklin' fire, a glass of vino, a dog (or 2) snuggling up - hey, it's all I got!

Remember - talking to oneself is fine. It's when you start answering that things can be a bit wonky... :sun Sue

TRIPNATURE
01-13-2006, 18:45
I had never backpacked/camped alone or backpacked at all for that matter and I spent like 200$ on gear, threw on some tennis shoes and hiked park of the AT for 5 days and never said more then 2 words to someone, except for the last day when it started raining and I had no idea what to do what it rains and I talked to a late thru-hiker and he helped me out a bit. It was early August and he was at Grayson Highlands about 50 miles into VA. I ended up going home because I had insufficient gear and no trail knowledge and my pack weighed about 50 pounds. But generally I enjoy hiking alone and camping alone takes some getting used to.

mweinstone
01-14-2006, 00:29
thru hiking the A T will bring most people near to there breaking point at some time.now....who's with you when you freak out and how you are able to enjoy someones company when in dirt and hungry ,lost and tired is what matters.look at the example of .....you meet a girl you like so much your actually happy to get a flat tire while driving with her cause you just met and you have brite eyes and a bushy tail wagging as you change the flat.or you could break your sunglasses while hiking with a friend and turn mean and nasty.we need to be alone and with people and never only one or the other.both.i cant imagine anyone i want to be tied down to in life and especialy on the trail [other than the perfect soul mate of legend]or my beloved son max.sure i wish i had a girlfriend who wanted to thru with me but i dont know if that could ever be the spiritual journey being alone on this trail is