PDA

View Full Version : Canadian AT hiker information needed

Crankster
12-17-2015, 16:52
Love all the information available to hopefully plan and complete a thru hike of the AT in the near future. Most of the information available is for USA based hikers making it harder for international hikers to gain information on planning. I have a few questions i am hoping someone or someone's can answer maybe other Canadian hikers who have hiked the AT.
Thanks again for all the information.

- can you ship USPS resupply boxes from Canada into the various drop locations, also can you ship Canada Post boxes to these same locations? (will they except Canada Post boxes)
- do you require a special visa to travel into the States for 6 months as other international hikers have too?
- best option to get to Springer from Atlanta airport?

I am sure there will be more questions in the future.

Hope to hear from other Canadians who have accomplished this hike and can provide some insight into their experience.

Thanks

Odd Man Out
12-17-2015, 19:34
I am not a Canadian but I know many.

Our friends ship packages to our address on many occasions. I see no reason you could not ship to any other address. The origin of the package should make no difference. I suggest you comply with U.S. shipping regulations to be safe (no alcohol, fuel, etc...). Some things are allowed in other countries but not here. Not sure how they would know but best not try to find out. We did get a box full of wine and cognac shipped to us from Moldova once. I'm sure the Moldovans did not care but Uncle Sam would have a cow if he knew.

As for visas, can't help you there. Call the US Embassy in Ottawa. You definitely don't want to cut corners or bend the rules here. I would not trust advice from anyone else on this issue.

The Hiker Hostel (clse to Springer) is a popular way to get started. They have a thru hiker special that includes shuttles from Atlanta to the hostel and from the hostel to the trail. Also includes fuel (which you can't bring with you or ship).

http://hikerhostel.com/lodging/thru-hiker-special/

Kookork
12-17-2015, 19:55
Love all the information available to hopefully plan and complete a thru hike of the AT in the near future. Most of the information available is for USA based hikers making it harder for international hikers to gain information on planning. I have a few questions i am hoping someone or someone's can answer maybe other Canadian hikers who have hiked the AT.
Thanks again for all the information.

- can you ship USPS resupply boxes from Canada into the various drop locations, also can you ship Canada Post boxes to these same locations? (will they except Canada Post boxes)
- do you require a special visa to travel into the States for 6 months as other international hikers have too?
- best option to get to Springer from Atlanta airport?

I am sure there will be more questions in the future.

Hope to hear from other Canadians who have accomplished this hike and can provide some insight into their experience.

Thanks
For the Visa, there is a US consulate in Toronto . They have a website , go and check them. If you are not a Canadian Citizen, then you possibly a visa for staying more than 3 month in the USA. You can apply online and fill some forms and then they would give you a date for interview.

Sending packages is not cheap from Canada to US. that is why many choose to buy as they hike.

GoldenBear
12-17-2015, 22:42
http://canada.usembassy.gov/visas/information-for-canadians.html
https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/detail/a_id/619/~/visiting-the-u.s.---documents-required-for-canadian-citizens-%2F-residents-%2F
http://www.canadiansinusa.com/Visiting-the-US/index.html

"Canadian citizens generally do not require a visa to enter the United States directly from Canada for the purposes of visiting or studying."
"Canadian visitors are generally granted a stay in the U.S. for up to six months at the time of entry."
Just be certain to LEAVE before the six months are up. If you are even one day late, the next entry into the U.S. will be VERY problematic.

> can you ship USPS resupply boxes from Canada into the various drop locations
> an you ship Canada Post boxes to these same locations?
It would appear that Canada Post will ship packages to U.S. addresses, no problem.
https://www.canadapost.ca/web/en/pages/parcelscon/default.page#panel2-2

> will they except Canada Post boxes
That you should probably check with a specific place you are considering mailing stuff to. If you phone or e-mail them ahead of time; they can either re-assure you that they accept any package, warn you that they only accept US packages, or be ready to receive a "strange" package.

As for "General Delivery" to US post offices, it would appear that, as long as you use the proper address format, you can use that service.
http://pe.usps.com/text/pub28/28c2_033.htm#ep526547

Crankster
12-18-2015, 00:45
Thanks Golden Bear, Great info for me to continue pursuing my Thru Hike of the AT in the near future.

Crankster
12-18-2015, 00:46
Thanks for the Hostel link and information to my questions. Just more logistics to think about being from another country.

Crankster
12-18-2015, 00:47
I am a Canadian citizen so being away for under 6 months should allow me to hike without the need for a visa.
Thanks

George
12-18-2015, 03:23
if you do want to do some resupply boxes just mail them from the trail so the postage does not kill you - as I am sure you know there are few things you can buy in canada cheaper than in the US

GoldenBear
12-18-2015, 19:18
> As for "General Delivery" to US post offices, it would appear that, as long as you use the proper address format, you can use that service.

Coincidentally, I was at a US Post Office today, and I asked specifically about packages labelled "General Delivery" sent from Canada. The clerk at the window confirmed that, as long as the box is properly labelled as to the addressee, it doesn't matter if it was shipped from the U.S. or from Canada.