PDA

View Full Version : Bridging an Experience Gap

GabeN
12-17-2015, 20:14
Hello everyone. So first a little background on my current experience. I have been doing full and half day hikes since I was a young child, with some two-three day camping trips thrown in every once and a while. Also, though it is irrelevant to the being in nature for extended periods of time aspect of things, I did spend three months traveling through Europe on my own, and found the lifestyle of always being on the move very much to my liking.

Anyway, on to the main questions of this post. The PCT is something I've wanted to do for a couple of years now, and next year, barring anything unexpected, presents itself as being the perfect year for me to accomplish this goal. My problem is, like I said, I have been doing day hikes and short excursions all my life, but up to this point my wilderness experience has been with my family, and I have very little in the way of practical knowledge and experience when it comes to planning and doing a long hike. So, I'm wondering if you folks could tell me how realistic it is to go from relative novice to a point where one can accomplish a thru-hike of the PCT in the four months left before the start of the season? Of course, I know that a good first step is to get out and hike and do some longer hikes to make sure that this is something that I wouldn't regret half way through(I highly doubt that to be the case, but I won't discount the logic in making sure), and this is already in the works.

Also, in addition to assessing the reality of the situation, I would love to hear any tips you folks have to help a budding hiker improve their skills, beyond the basics like getting out and hiking, and reading forums and books, if there is much more a person can do.

I apologize for my ignorance on the subject, and hope this post isn't taken the wrong way. Though I'm at the start of my research process I'm serious about this goal, and I hope that I can learn from those who know much more on the subject than I do. I'm searching the forums and other resources, and apologize if this question is redundant and I just failed to find the right thread asking it.

egilbe
12-17-2015, 20:28
Best way to get experience is to do it. Novice hikers complete long trails all the time. If Cheryl Strayed, a recovering heroin addict can msnage to hike it, anyone can. Seems most people like to write books about it, and you can learn from their stories what did and didn't work for them.

handlebar
12-17-2015, 21:39
A PCT thru hike is essentially a series of 5-day backpacking trips. One of my hiking partners for part of the trail was a 19 year old Aussie who did just fine once he lightened up his pack. The PCT traffic is such that you'll be able find a hiking partner or, if you prefer, have solitude once you clear southern CA. You'll be fine.

GabeN
12-17-2015, 21:48
Best way to get experience is to do it. Novice hikers complete long trails all the time. If Cheryl Strayed, a recovering heroin addict can msnage to hike it, anyone can. Seems most people like to write books about it, and you can learn from their stories what did and didn't work for them.

Thanks for the suggestion. I will definitely take a look at some of the books that have been written about it.

A PCT thru hike is essentially a series of 5-day backpacking trips. One of my hiking partners for part of the trail was a 19 year old Aussie who did just fine once he lightened up his pack. The PCT traffic is such that you'll be able find a hiking partner or, if you prefer, have solitude once you clear southern CA. You'll be fine.

I appreciate the response. Hearing that is really encouraging. Solitude is one of the attractions but since I would like some interaction with other people, I'm glad to hear that it is pretty easy to find a trail partner.

burger
12-17-2015, 21:50
I would say to pick up Yogi's PCT handbook. It covers everything: training, gear, dealing with resupply, water issues, snow and ice, yadda yadda. Plus she has notes for trail towns and issues you'll run into on the trail. It was super helpful for me, and I was more experienced than you when I set out to do the PCT.

http://www.yogisbooks.com/pacific-crest-trail/pct-yogis-pacific-crest-trail-handbook

My only other advice would be: backpack as much as possible between now and starting the trail. Gaining experience in a variety of trail/weather conditions is really helpful.

Dogwood
12-17-2015, 22:10
It certainly can be done. It's done by many. You could approach those four(4) months preparation just as you do a PCT thru-hike...in incremental steps. Chunk down the prep. What follows once on the trail can be likened to what Handlbar described... a series of many short hikes. Approaching things this way can help to not be overwhelmed by either experience...the prep or the trail runners on the ground parts.

You might want to immediately order Yogis PCT Handbook which is an excellent source for thru and section hiking PCT preparation and is a downright dollar bargain for the amount of regularly updated info it contains. http://www.yogisbooks.com/pacific-crest-trail/ Further, you can pay to have Halfmile's PCT topographical maps printed for you or you can access the maps for free and print them possibly yourself. https://www.pctmap.net/ These two sources are ALL you need to prep for the PCT. Reaerch some about what PCTers gear kits typically entail, then get some gear, doesn't have to be the latest greatest most expensive gear, and GO GO GO!

*And, PLEASE be aware and alert that you don't have to know everything or plan everything.... AND YOU CAN NOT. I say that as the amount of PCT info now available is staggering. Everyone has an opinion. Lots of folks, well intentioned folks, will tell you what they did as IF you must also do what they did. Don't be anxious. Work out your prep without anxiety and follow it up on the trail with joyful adaptability. That's really what hiking is about for so many. GROWTH. Embrace it confidently.

I say, go for it.

Uriah
12-17-2015, 22:54
I will definitely take a look at some of the books that have been written about it.

If you're scrimping to save for such a trip, use your local library (it'll have Wild, no doubt), or check the trail journals website for some fantastic PCT journals.

Be sure too to get your permit early, for the date range you'd like, as I imagine they fill their quota quickly these days, though I know I wouldn't let any bureaucracy stop me at your age, either.

I hiked the trail as a newbie way back when, and learned everything I needed to as I went. It's really nothing more than a bunch of walking with some necessary resupply forethought as you go and people your age are more adept and adaptive than us older kin. Arrange your trip to the trail beforehand and your trip home sometime during. Few trails rival the Pacific Crest...you'll love it!

GabeN
12-18-2015, 10:58
Thank you everyone. This is all very encouraging to hear. It seems that though some planning and experience is necessary, I may have been overthinking things a bit. I have Yogi's book on it's way and I will continue searching these forums and other resources for more information and start formulating more of a plan, as well as start working on my actual backpacking experience.

Also, thanks for the warm welcome everyone. It's not often people on serious hobby type forums like this are so welcoming of newbies asking newbie questions. I felt very welcomed here and I do appreciate it!

Uncle Joe
12-18-2015, 11:05
There are a plethora of videos on Youtube that can be helpful. Lots of folks chronicle their hike.