PDA

View Full Version : Sparkly Permethrin?

Puddlefish
12-17-2015, 22:52
So, I sprayed down all my clothing and some gear with permethrin yesterday, since it was kind of warm and dry. The permethrin was about a year old, and stored in a generic spray bottle, because the Sawyer bottle leaked like a sieve. It seems to have crystallized, and all my clothing looks like I sprinkled glitter on it. The worst of it came out in the wash, but my backpack looks like a Twilight vampire sneezed on it. Bah!

Dogwood
12-17-2015, 23:26
You may have the female hiker fashionista version. Dirt Diva, Xy Weiss, Sequine and Barefoot Sisters would be envious.

Mtsman
12-17-2015, 23:41
Sounds like you went to a strip bar, got glitter on you, and needed to come up with an excuse. I think I will keep this excuse in mind for future use :)

Puddlefish
12-18-2015, 00:34
Sounds like you went to a strip bar, got glitter on you, and needed to come up with an excuse. I think I will keep this excuse in mind for future use :)

Always ask permission before bringing your pack into a strip bar.

George
12-18-2015, 03:14

I did this on a bus layover retuning from hiking - I think it was cleveland

Old Hiker
12-18-2015, 07:35

I am NOT going to ask my pack if I can go to a strip bar.
Now, if my wife finds out I’m even thinking about going into a strip bar…………………………………………

Old Hiker
12-18-2015, 07:36
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zRRHfRy6DqA

Dadburnet
12-18-2015, 09:19
Sparklefish? Glitterfish?

shakey_snake
12-18-2015, 23:53
You can't fax glitter!

Sarcasm the elf
12-19-2015, 00:04
You can't fax glitter!

Glitter really is the herpes of the craft world.

And no, whatever you do don't ever fax glitter! :rolleyes:

Dogwood
12-19-2015, 01:02
Hmm, coagulated Permethrin? Sure, you didn't mistake the bottle containing the fertility clinic's specimen you must submit with the Permethrin bottle?

4eyedbuzzard
12-19-2015, 09:03
Sigh, you got the stuff for blond bugs - they are attracted to shiny thingies.

Observation: Wow! We here at WB were, as usual, a most helpful and informative group. :rolleyes: ;)

Traveler
12-19-2015, 09:17
Its not a complete loss, you can always reprise the role of Glenda, the Good Witch and try to convince people their wish can actually come true!

Mountain Mike
12-19-2015, 14:16
Run out to the store & buy as much as you can. Also buy some womens shirts. You have stumbled on a way to fund your hiking! Bug protection with a fashion for women!

Offshore
12-19-2015, 16:25
Odd, some type of cross contamination - maybe a reaction with some residual material in the spray bottle you used? Sawyer gives their permethrin a shelf life of 10 years after manufacture so its unlikely that the permethrin itself went bad. I don't know if I'd trust your treatment due to the odd outcome. I'd retreat with fresh permethrin just to be sure until tick season is well over (like with a foot of snow).

Puddlefish
12-19-2015, 17:30
Odd, some type of cross contamination - maybe a reaction with some residual material in the spray bottle you used? Sawyer gives their permethrin a shelf life of 10 years after manufacture so its unlikely that the permethrin itself went bad. I don't know if I'd trust your treatment due to the odd outcome. I'd retreat with fresh permethrin just to be sure until tick season is well over (like with a foot of snow).

That was my first thought. It was a brand new empty bottle from the hardware store. The first thing I checked was the shelf life. 10 years if stored properly. No idea what they consider "properly." I did order it from Amazon originally, it's possible it froze, or was stored at high temps, or both. I now kind of wish I'd kept the original bottle to check the expiration date.

In the good news, it snowed today.