PDA

View Full Version : Silly Question?

ATaBoy
12-18-2015, 18:25
Is there any resupply at all...to speak of at Clingman's dome visitor Center?

George
12-18-2015, 19:27
I think drinks and snacks at the gift shop - in season

johnnybgood
12-18-2015, 19:31
No. Plenty of Clingmans Dome merchandise to buy.

Christoph
12-18-2015, 19:54
I was extremely disappointed in the trek all the way down the hill to find out they don't sell soda's (or a even soda machine), just bottled water that was sitting on the ground, a very few cold ones in the frig, and the snacks were overpriced local made 'things' (the few that were there). Steer clear, even the personnel working there (who where real nice) said they don't understand why they don't have or sell any snacks.

George
12-18-2015, 20:02
being the Fed gov, probably a PITA for any vendors - bidding, insurance etc for 1 seasonal, low volume out of the way location

Lone Wolf
12-18-2015, 20:23

no. hitch to gatlinburg. it's easy

MuddyWaters
12-18-2015, 21:25
Or.....just carry the food to make it thru the park. Its only 6 days for avg person. Which means 5.5 days food. Not insurmountable by any means.

Dogwood
12-18-2015, 22:19

Not per say a resupply pt. YET, they have had LIMITED VERY LIMITED supply of chocolate bars, various honey, food/spice/seasoning baskets, jars of pickles, etc. https://www.smokiesinformation.org/info/visitor-centers-and-stores Give them a call to see what they have and what's going on when you anticipate arriving at Clingmans Dome. Don't expect much more than what I shared though.

I've been there during SPECIAL EVENTS when they were offering warm spiced cider, hot chocolate, pastries, donuts, etc. YES, I've seen Thru-hikers eat a whole jar of pickles bought from the Clingman's Dome Visitors Center(pretty good, I've eaten a few on occasion as a famished thru-hiker) or buy an entire basket because it contained one or two items it contained like a small smoked sausage or jar of jam.

Some good simple wildlife, plant, and NP history pamphlets, brochures, and books at the store.