PDA

View Full Version : I'm outta here

chris
12-09-2005, 21:24
I'm hopping on a bus in 2 hours to go to the airport, then a long flight to Thailand for three weeks of fun where it is actually warm and the sun actually shines. For you 06 hikers out there, try to pass the time as serenely as possible, knowing that the start of your journey is but a few months away.

saimyoji
12-09-2005, 22:42
Keep your wick dry! Go south to koh samui, got to a place called munchies. Ask for the special menu, the mushroom soup (the mushroom pizza is good too.) Get a tuk-tuk or motorcycle taxi over to Marley pub (or you could walk the beach there) and the Green Mango. :D

Enjoy. :sun

Skeemer
12-09-2005, 23:51
Don't eat too many monkey balls.

smokymtnsteve
12-10-2005, 00:15
Remember to PLAY SAFE!!!

justusryans
12-10-2005, 08:06
I'm hopping on a bus in 2 hours to go to the airport, then a long flight to Thailand for three weeks of fun where it is actually warm and the sun actually shines. For you 06 hikers out there, try to pass the time as serenely as possible, knowing that the start of your journey is but a few months away.

Say hi to my dad if you see him, he's in Chang Mai. He's lived in Thailand for 20 years, married a nice Thai woman and is having a wonderful time. Amaising how far retirement pay will stretch in Thailand!!:D

chris
12-18-2005, 08:36
I could sing to the graces of Thailand for longer than Dostoevsky could write about insane people, but currently do not have the time to indulge in such a pasttime. I'm in Chiang Mai right now, having spent some quality time in Bangkok, Phitsanulok, and Sukhothai. I'm going to be here for another few days before heading south for a wedding (no, it isn't mine) and then, well, I'm not sure. I've heard that there are a few places south of Bangkok, but north of Phuket, where the seafood is impossibly good. So, I might go there. For now, though, I'm going to finish my Beer Chang before it gets cold and then hit the friendly neighborhood noodle woman for some quality eats. This has to be the best country I've been to.

sliderule
12-18-2005, 14:32
I could sing to the graces of Thailand for longer than Dostoevsky could write about insane people, but currently do not have the time to indulge in such a pasttime.

Could you at least tell us how a trip to Southeast Asia relates to the Appalachian Trail? I don't have time to figure it out on my own. So maye you could connect the dots.

Rain Man
12-18-2005, 14:59
Could you at least tell us how a trip to Southeast Asia relates to the Appalachian Trail?....

It doesn't. Not at all. There are sites for posting foreign travelogues, ... but alas. The WhiteBlaze moderators are exceedingly forgiving about non-AT posts, pics, ... whatever, ... even when they're not even posted in the Non-AT/Other forum.

Rain Man

chris
12-20-2005, 09:23
Could you at least tell us how a trip to Southeast Asia relates to the Appalachian Trail? I don't have time to figure it out on my own. So maye you could connect the dots.

Hey, don't worry! If you can't put it together, then you can't put it together. Maybe it is like a Zen thing: You have to experience it to understand it. If the moderators want to move the thread, then move it they will. If the moderators want to delete the thread, then delete it they will. However, Troll and Rock are much more clever than to go around deleting threads.

MOWGLI
12-20-2005, 09:54
Sliderule & Rainman:

This site actually transcends the AT for many of us. Its kinda like a community, where you can vent, bicker, congratulate one another, and talk about the things that make you feel alive. In fact, look at the top of the website, and it says "A Community of Appalachian Trail Enthusiasts". It doesn't say, "A Community of People Who Only Talk About the Appalachian Trail" - and thank goodness for that! Perhaps the best thing that ever happened for me on this site was reconnecting with an old hiking buddy - Youngblood. You know what we did? We organized a hike of the Benton MacKaye Trail!

Personally, I enjoy Chris' contributions. Some of us don't really have much interest in talking about shelters, sleeping bags, stoves, or hammocks. But for those that have an interest in that sort of thing, there are plenty of forums to while away the day in. That's what makes this site so nice. I guess that's why Baskin Robbins has 31 flavors.

Happy Holidays to all!

Alligator
12-20-2005, 10:31
Chris is exceptionally good about sticking to hiking related topics. I honestly doubt he knows where the Non-AT forum is, he's not subscribed to it. Go bug a serious offender.

P.S. I've got garlic in my soul and I'm looking for Whoville.

Mags
12-20-2005, 15:10
Have fun Chris!

And for those who don't like the posts...why the heck did you read the thread? :)

Tha Wookie
12-20-2005, 15:37
I agree with MOWGLI.

This is a community. We know each other, and are interested in each others adventures, no matter where they take us.

This site is certainly is more than just gear talk and hostel info directly related to AT trips.

For many of us, it's about community.

It's a place to keep in touch, share ideas, and inspire each other.

Chris does a good job at all of those things:)

By the way I'm overlooking the Caribbean Sea right now, just miles away from the deepest spot in the Atlantic Ocean. It's 83 degrees, sunny, and I'm about to head into the jungle for a couple weeks to shoot some photos about organic "bush" gardening.

you can see exactly where I'm sitting here:

http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?id=62245

:D

Bolo
12-20-2005, 16:13

Chris is an exceptional contributor to WB, as is Tha Wookie and many others. These folks have hiked many trails including the AT and continue to share their trail knowledge with us. They've also gone on to become world travelers, photojournalists and philosophers. As far as I'm concerned they can put their comments anywhere they want to, and I'll go there.

Bolo-

tiamalle
12-20-2005, 23:04
I agree with MOWGLI.

This is a community. We know each other, and are interested in each others adventures, no matter where they take us.

This site is certainly is more than just gear talk and hostel info directly related to AT trips.

For many of us, it's about community.

It's a place to keep in touch, share ideas, and inspire each other.

Chris does a good job at all of those things:)

By the way I'm overlooking the Caribbean Sea right now, just miles away from the deepest spot in the Atlantic Ocean. It's 83 degrees, sunny, and I'm about to head into the jungle for a couple weeks to shoot some photos about organic "bush" gardening.

you can see exactly where I'm sitting here:

http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?id=62245

:DWell Said Mowgli and Wookie,Happy Holidays to all You in the
Trail Community:clap From all of us here in Franklin,NC

smokymtnsteve
12-21-2005, 00:34
ROCK on Chris...have a great trip..and tell us all about it.

RIGHT HERE ON WHITEBLAZE.