PDA

View Full Version : Thru Hikers AT "tag" for backpack?

capehiker
12-19-2015, 11:25
This past summer I often saw, for lack of a better word, a luggage tag style AT symbol on Thru Hikers backpacks. I remember something about it in the forums but since I wasn't Thru hiking, I didn't pay too much attention to it. Now that I am Thru hiking this coming year, I am interested in learning more about it.

Is it affiliated with the ATC or the AT passport?

Offshore
12-19-2015, 12:43
Those were distributed by the ATC to those that registered their thuhike start dates. No practical function other than little bit of pack-swag.

bemental
12-19-2015, 14:44
Those were distributed by the ATC to those that registered their thuhike start dates. No practical function other than little bit of pack-swag.

Yeppers. .

capehiker
12-20-2015, 06:11
Thanks. I thought that was who gave them out. When I registered for my Thru next year, I didn't see anything about it. I'm not expecting pack swag, but wouldn't mind one as a memento.

squeezebox
12-20-2015, 09:41
You might check out the ATC store to see what they have.

WingedMonkey
12-20-2015, 11:29
The voluntary thru-hiker registration is a tool that helps prospective thru-hikers share their start dates with other thru-hikers and plan their itinerary in order to avoid the social and ecological impacts of overcrowding on the Appalachian Trail (A.T.).

:banana

http://www.appalachiantrail.org/home/explore-the-trail/thru-hiking/voluntary-thru-hiker-registration

capehiker
12-20-2015, 11:34
:banana

http://www.appalachiantrail.org/home/explore-the-trail/thru-hiking/voluntary-thru-hiker-registration

Apparently I didn't read too deep. :)

From the site:

Commemorative 2016 A.T. Leave No Trace tag you can hang from your pack, with Official 2016 A.T. length (mailed to you - may take two weeks to reach your address)

fastfoxengineering
12-24-2015, 20:58
Dutchware also has cool titanium AT tags as well as other trails. Could be of interest to you

Lauriep
01-30-2016, 12:35
The 2016 hangtags, mailed free of charge to all who participate in the voluntary thru-hiker registration, are still in production. This year, they will be blue, and will feature a different Leave No Trace principle on the back.

We are supposed to have them sometime early next month, and will start sending them out soon after. Anyone who has registered so far should receive them before the end of February. Once we catch up with the backlog, it should take 2-3 weeks to send them out after you register.

Anyone who registers can also opt in to a free ATC membership, with a digital copy of our magazine, A.T. Journeys. You will get a membership card that will entitle you to discounts at some businesses along the Trail (ask whenever you are in a business) and at the ATC Ultimate Trail store (at www.appalachiantrail.org/store, at ATC HQ in Harpers Ferry, and our regional office in Boiling Springs, PA). You also get a free postcard (with stamp to put on it) of your official hiker photo at ATC HQ. Your membership packet will probably be sent separately from the hangtag, and will probably come later.

Currently our website (and the thru-hiker registration page) is down, due to server maintenance. It should be back up soon, but I don't have an exact projection.

Barricade
02-01-2016, 12:34
The link isnt working...?

Water Rat
02-01-2016, 13:44
The link isnt working...?

The entire ATC website has been down for a few days now. It doesn't seem that they have an exact time as to when it will be back up and running. You might want to check back daily just to see if they have finished their server maintenance.

TexasBob
02-01-2016, 21:05
The 2016 hangtags, mailed free of charge to all who participate in the voluntary thru-hiker registration, are still in production. This year, they will be blue, and will feature a different Leave No Trace principle on the back.

We are supposed to have them sometime early next month, and will start sending them out soon after. Anyone who has registered so far should receive them before the end of February. Once we catch up with the backlog, it should take 2-3 weeks to send them out after you register.

Anyone who registers can also opt in to a free ATC membership, with a digital copy of our magazine, A.T. Journeys. You will get a membership card that will entitle you to discounts at some businesses along the Trail (ask whenever you are in a business) and at the ATC Ultimate Trail store (at www.appalachiantrail.org/store (http://www.appalachiantrail.org/store), at ATC HQ in Harpers Ferry, and our regional office in Boiling Springs, PA). You also get a free postcard (with stamp to put on it) of your official hiker photo at ATC HQ. Your membership packet will probably be sent separately from the hangtag, and will probably come later.

Currently our website (and the thru-hiker registration page) is down, due to server maintenance. It should be back up soon, but I don't have an exact projection.

Thanks for the update.

AlyontheAT2016
03-09-2016, 22:58
Any word on these tags and packets? Has anyone received theirs yet?

KDogg
03-10-2016, 03:23
I received mine on Friday. I'll try and take a picture of it in the morning. It is blue with the AT symbol on the front and the leave no trace guidelines on the back. The text of the guidelines is almost too small for me to read with my reading glasses on.

Lauriep
03-10-2016, 07:06
By the way, the hangtags are being sent to thru-hikers who participated in the voluntary registration in the order of hike start date rather than registration date.

In other words, someone who registered in January to start at the end of April would get their hangtag later than someone who registered in February to start in March.

If someone didn't get their hangtag before they left home, they will be able to get one from a ridgerunner or caretaker in Georgia.

Casey & Gina
03-10-2016, 18:50
I'd prefer a patch I can sew onto my pack - does the ATC produce such a thing?

Sandy of PA
03-10-2016, 20:50
You can get a lovely ATC patch for becoming a member.

Barricade
03-10-2016, 23:00
Nothing so far....embark in less than 3 weeks!

samb.
03-11-2016, 09:11
Nothing so far....embark in less than 3 weeks!

I leave in a week and I still don't have mine.

jbmundy87
03-11-2016, 10:01
I emailed ATC about this. Here is their response:

"If you haven't received your hang tag yet, it should be arriving shortly. We didn't start sending them out until about a month ago, and that was chronological by start date, not by date of registration. I believe we are almost caught up.

However, if you don't get your tag before your start, the A.T. Caretakers at Springer Mt, Hawk Mt. or Gooch Mt. shelters/campsites will give you one if you show your registration confirmation. If that fails, let us know and we'll send one to one of your mail drops.

I hope you have a great and uncrowded A.T. hike!"