PDA

View Full Version : What would you wish for?

CricketK9
12-19-2015, 14:53
Hi there! I'm new to the forum, although I've been lurking about. I'm currently a day-hiker, but aspire to start doing some weekend trips and work up from there.

My family and I are renting a house near the AT in southern NC in late March, and plan on hiking quite a bit on the AT. We would like to provide some trail magic, and of course would like to have items that through hikers would need/want. What suggestions to you all have; and is there anything other than food that would be helpful to have to offer? For example, if it's cold I was thinking about some hand warmers. I appreciate any and all suggestions!

CricketK9
12-23-2015, 07:55
Bumping this up, hoping for some input!!

MuddyWaters
12-23-2015, 09:08
Pool
We would like to provide some trail magic, and of course would like to have items that through hikers would need/want. What suggestions to you all have; and is there anything other than food that would be helpful to have to offer? For example, if it's cold I was thinking about some hand warmers. I appreciate any and all suggestions!

Cigarettes
Beer
Pot
Jack daniels

Hikers already have everything that they need.

Clean socks and underwear, and a large clothes dryer to fluff sleeping bags might be good.

A way to charge their cell phones so they can stay on top of facebook, instagram, twitter, etc.

And a big garbage can, take their trash so they dont have to carry it another 2 days, and might be less inclined to dump it in firepit at next shelter.

A hiker box so they can get rid of the stuff they excitedly grabbed from the last hiker box like it was Christmas, only to realize they really didnt want it either, they just wanted free stuff and didnt think about having to carry it..

Some replacement bear cord for the ones they left hung up in trees, and replacement tent stakes for the ones they lost. Toilet paper too. Maybe a few condoms.

And most importantly..replacement black sharpies so they can keep tagging everything in sight all the way to maine uninterrupted.

TNhiker
12-23-2015, 17:10
Cigarettes
Beer
Pot
Jack daniels

just bring the pot.........

leave the other crap behind.............

that stuff will kill ya dead............

Tipi Walter
12-23-2015, 17:19
I think he was trying to be funny or sarcastic. He should've said not just "pot" but a 10 lb bag of the stuff as AT thruhikers and backpackers love to suck up the weed while they sit in a shelter. It's a disgusting habit but then so is sitting here at the computer all day writing up this crap.

TNhiker
12-23-2015, 17:54
He should've said not just "pot" but a 10 lb bag of the stuff as AT thruhikers and backpackers love to suck up the weed

sooooooooooo........................that's why your bag always weighs near 80 pounds, eh? :P

Scrum
12-23-2015, 18:07
My family and I are renting a house near the AT in southern NC in late March, and plan on hiking quite a bit on the AT. We would like to provide some trail magic . . . I appreciate any and all suggestions!

It sounds like you may be hiking with children who may get a big kick out of giving treats to the thru hikers. If you opt to distribute something other than pot, I suggest bringing a few chocolate bars (I like the ones that come in a 3 pack at Trader Joes). Although the hikers may not need them, almost everyone will be happy to receive it.

When my kids were younger they would ask people we met on the trail if they were thru hiking, and if so, what their trail name was. If someone stopped to chat and was friendly, the kids would give them a chocolate bar. Ten years later my kids adults and we still keep up the tradition when on the AT.

For many recipients, the way the kids treat thru hikers like rock stars, and that the kids bring something to give them, seems to be the trail magic more so than the chocolate bar itself. This small gesture has resulted in some wonderful responses and memorable moments on the trail.

rocketsocks
12-23-2015, 19:34
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dh0Deay0DTc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dh0Deay0DTc

fiddlehead
12-23-2015, 21:44
Seriously, I believe the garbage can and a way for the hikers to charge their phones would be the best ideas.
Maybe some ice? (season dependent of course)

Mtsman
12-24-2015, 04:22
Hi there! I'm new to the forum, although I've been lurking about. I'm currently a day-hiker, but aspire to start doing some weekend trips and work up from there.

My family and I are renting a house near the AT in southern NC in late March, and plan on hiking quite a bit on the AT. We would like to provide some trail magic, and of course would like to have items that through hikers would need/want. What suggestions to you all have; and is there anything other than food that would be helpful to have to offer? For example, if it's cold I was thinking about some hand warmers. I appreciate any and all suggestions!

Here is the unsaid truth (actually, Muddy did a pretty good job of saying it) Hikers dont want any more unnecessary weight added to their packs than what they planned for. That is why food is the easy thing (that and they are almost always hungry or thinking about food just off the calorie burn alone).

I think through muddys sarcasm he really did mention a few things that would really help. I think this is where the meat of his thought process was:
A way to charge their cell phones so they can stay on top of facebook, instagram, twitter, etc.

And a big garbage can, take their trash so they dont have to carry it another 2 days, and might be less inclined to dump it in firepit at next shelter.

A hiker box so they can get rid of the stuff they excitedly grabbed from the last hiker box like it was Christmas, only to realize they really didnt want it either, they just wanted free stuff and didnt think about having to carry it..

Some replacement bear cord for the ones they left hung up in trees, and replacement tent stakes for the ones they lost. Toilet paper too.

Not that the other stuff he said wasnt at least partially true (if not completely true) but I think those items are feasible and possibly comfortable to supply to thru hikers.

Scrum
12-24-2015, 10:05
It is interesting that several of the replies seem to based on the premise that the OP would be providing trail magic at a trailhead. CricketK9 said he and his family would be hiking on the AT, which seems to me a great opportunity to provide the unexpected to a few thru hikers right on the trail.

I am not criticizing the suggestions about trash cans and power hookups, just noting a different perspective on the concept of trail magic. I wonder if it is an individual thing, or perhaps influenced by region. Is this a reflection of the now ubiquitous hiker feeds down south? You don't get the big trailhead hiker feeds up here in New England the way you do in GA, NC, and TN.