PDA

View Full Version : Hike between christmas and new years 2015-2016

flocos
12-19-2015, 15:16
Any one have suggestions on a place to go hiking in the southeast between Christmas and new years? We are looking at doing a 4-5 day hike, a loop would be nice but we could do a point to point hike and go half way turn around and come back. Ideally i'd like to go park the car and start hiking from a trail head not need to get someone to drop us off. We would be driving from baton rouge, LA.
I've thought of eagle rock loop but not 100% on that one yet with all the rain coming the river may be high.

any suggestions appreciated.
thanks

Tipi Walter
12-19-2015, 15:23
There are thousands of places to go---anyplace on the AT from Georgia to Virginia. Shining Rock wilderness in Pisgah NF North Carolina is nice . . . and cold.

Depending on the weather, I'd shoot for the overnight parking lot in Grayson Highlands near Mt Rogers and pull several loops along Wilburn Ridge, Lewis Fork and Wilson Creek wilderness areas. Very Cold though so be prepared but very beautiful.

I like the Big Frog wilderness which has several great trail loops and is backpacker friendly and somewhat gentle. You could park at Thunder Rock Campground on Ocoee River. And tie into the Cohutta wilderness if you have time.

Mr. Bumpy
12-19-2015, 15:27
Kings Mountain SC loop and Crowder's Mt. NC connector trail is a good bet. In fact I need to get a few things before I pack!

saltysack
12-19-2015, 15:52
Foot hills trail...I was planning between Xmas and New Years but it's looking like warmer and rainy weather so I may push back a week or two....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LittleRock
12-21-2015, 10:13
I am headed to Baton Rouge during that time, LOL!

It has been quite warm out here this month and next week is supposed to be more of the same. So the trails will most likely be clear and you may not need full winter gear. Lots of great loop hike options in the Smokies, and winter is the only time of year when it isn't crowded.

ChrisJackson
12-21-2015, 10:26
My calendar just freed up for the same time...strongly considering Georgia Loop (AT/BMT/DRT). In the rain...

EVC
12-21-2015, 11:57
Anyone interested in Springer to Neel's Gap. If we can get some people together to leave one car Neel's gap to drive back to Spinger at the end. I can leave as early as Wed 23-Dec or as late as the 27th. I have to be home by the 31st

Uncle Joe
12-21-2015, 13:51
I'm looking at doing a section from Indian Grave to Dick's Creek on New Year's weekend if the weather is right.

MuddyJim
12-21-2015, 23:27
I am doing the section between Reid's Gap and Buena Vista, VA. Temp doesn't look too cold or warm. Though rainy.

EVC
12-22-2015, 19:01
I am doing the section between Reid's Gap and Buena Vista, VA. Temp doesn't look too cold or warm. Though rainy.

Do you mean Rt 60, MM 806.4(NoBo) to Reid's gap at MM 842.5(NoBo) ?

MuddyJim
12-22-2015, 22:21
We are hiking from Rt 60 MM 802.6 to Reeds Gap, VA 664 MM 838.7 NoBo (AWOL 2014)

EVC
12-23-2015, 12:32
Sent you a pm.

golfjhm
12-23-2015, 12:36
Alabama Pinhoti trail - close to home for you and well worn but not crowded. Weather is abysmal in AL for next 8 days so might make the decision for you. If you opt for it start at Adams Gap and hike to either FS 500 trailhead, Pine Glen Campground, Coleman Lake depending on your mpd. Would get the benefit of nice views in Cheaha and varied ecosystems once you drop off the mountain.

flocos
12-25-2015, 20:05
just looking at the weather it seems like it will be wet anywhere in the southeast...may be better end up going west

Dogwood
12-25-2015, 23:59
just looking at the weather it seems like it will be wet anywhere in the southeast...may be better end up going west

Long drive but ideal multi day(3-4 days, 35-40 mile) and day hiking weather is awaiting at Big Bend NP. Set up a scenic base camp at Chisos Basin CG upon arriving. Incorporate an out and back Emory Peak summit and night on the S. Rim with a Outer Loop hike (Juniper Canyon(JC) to Dodson(D) back to Chisos Basin). Consider caching H2O pre hike at Homer Wilson Ranch and/or at the JC/ D Tr junctions at the end of improved gravel Juniper Canyon Rd. while also getting reliable up to date water availability for Boot Spring, Dodson Spring. and Fresno Creek drainage. Ask last time it rained. PRESS the NP Rangers for current availability of water at these locations because they as a rule day say there is no water in the back country on this loop when in fact there MAY BE.

http://npmaps.com/wp-content/uploads/big-bend-map.jpg
http://www.nps.gov/bibe/planyourvisit/oml-itinerary.htm

Have a fast hiking party resulting in having an extra day after this hike drive down to Santa Elena Canyon Overlook and perhaps utilize quiet Cottonwood CG on the Rio Grande River.

ChrisJackson
12-26-2015, 14:29
My calendar just freed up for the same time...strongly considering Georgia Loop (AT/BMT/DRT). In the rain...
That...was...soggy.

EVC
12-26-2015, 14:31
That...was...soggy.

I'm still working on the logistics of getting back to my car but I hope to be down there tomorrow if it works out. Gonna do Springer to Neel's Gap. I hope

ChrisJackson
12-26-2015, 15:24
If you can't find a shuttle, you could park at Woody, hike north to the Duncan Ridge Trail, hang a left...hike over to the Coosa Backcountry Trail...do that loop...then take the DRT back to the AT...hang a right and hike back to Woody. Mileage is comparable. That Coosa loop is 12.8 miles I believe.

http://www.gastateparks.org/content/Georgia/parks/trail_maps/Vogel2010-trailmap.pdf

flocos
01-04-2016, 16:44
we ended up going over to big bend and doing the outer mountain loop. 4 days and 3 nights. We started the hike at the chisos basin and went clockwise. ended up taking 5 liters of water (each person) for the first two days and picked up 5 more at homers ranch at the beginning of day 3. Stayed up on the south east rim the last night and the view up there is amazing.
it was a pretty tough hike with all the elevation changes but the first day was by far the hardest doing the pinnacle trail and the juniper canyon in one day(we didn't get started until noon, so we didn't get to camp until like 7pm). also having the most food and water that day did not make it any easier. all the creeks were dry but there was a lot of snow on top of the mountain.
amazing hike, i would definitely do it again.