PDA

View Full Version : Your personal SPOT Gen3 "OK" and "Custom" messages

Learn Free or Die
12-19-2015, 21:19
I've programming my "Check in / OK" and "Custom" messages right now and I'd like to know what you all have used to communicate with those on your email/text lists.

So far, I'm going with:
OK - I've pressed "OK" w/i the last 20 min and safely heading to bed on the trail or in town. Check FB for details.
Since I'm connecting my check ins to facebook, this would be a good way to communicate the place consistently as well as I'm OK.

Custom - Would like to speak to someone in the near future for non-emergency support. Anticipate communication soon.
This is intended to be a level down from the "Hand-Hand" button where I'd request urgent support. While all on my list won't get contacted, they can expect to hear from me on my terms if I need them rather than have them reach out to me all at once and not have my issue be relevant. This is like "He needs something that may be from me when he gets reception, so I'll be sure to check my phone/email for it."

I'm up for even better ones based on your experiences and set ups - what have you sent out?

Venchka
12-19-2015, 22:29
I'm out of luck. I don't do Facebook.
I'll just have to get a PLB. They don't do Facebook either.
Good luck.

Wayne

Sent from somewhere around here.

B.j. Clark
12-20-2015, 00:10
I adopted the following from a reader on Skurka's site after not being happy with my original choices. My wife and sons are happy with this plan. Here it is in the words of the reader:

Every day, I send an “OK” message on leaving camp, at lunch time, and on arriving at camp. My family expects to see these, with the understanding that one may not make it through. I send a custom message with the text “Trip Milestone Reached” from certain points along the trip: summits, passes, major trail junctions, etc.My “Help” button is set to the following message: “Illness, injury, or other non life threatening situation exists. Please stand by for other alerts.” In the event that I need to use this, I will continue to send frequent “Help” messages to indicate that the situation has not worsened and to let family know whether I am stationary or moving. Sending an “OK” message after this indicates that the situation has been resolved.
My “SOS” button is only for life threatening emergencies.

gaineskj
12-20-2015, 00:43
I just use them morning & night, with tracking on during the day so they can follow.

Custom: Good morning I'm ok and starting my day
OK: I'm OK and reached camp for the night.

12trysomething
12-20-2015, 11:57
OK - "at camp, great day in the trail"
Custom - "Good Morning America, heading out for the day!"

Learn Free or Die
12-20-2015, 13:15
Thanks for all of these so far - I may choose a nightly "OK" and morning "Custom" to indicate that I'm heading out. I imagine these are best when not using SPOT to automatically track your movement throughout the day.

Does anyone use a set of messages in addition to movement updates and what are those messages?

B.j. Clark
12-20-2015, 13:48
The messages I listed are used in conjunction with the tracking. The milestone comment is a signal to my wife to be sure to check the location so she knows if I am getting close to a pickup or resupply point if I am not on a loop hike etc. or if we are just planning a meet up along the way.

iAmKrzys
12-20-2015, 21:40
Custom = "Parked or set up camp here. Sent from Spot3 gps tracker. Track me at http://goo.gl/..." - I use it on day hikes to let my wife know where I'm hiking or where I set up camp on backpacking trips.

OK = "Everything is OK. Sent from Spot3 gps tracker. Track me at http://goo.gl/..." - this an end of hike message for day hikes or "good morning" message on backpacking trips.

Note I had to use shorten my share.findmespot.com tracking address via goo.gl because it was too long for inclusion in a text message.

CarlZ993
12-20-2015, 21:56
When I used my Spot, my 'OK' message meant I was done for the day (shelter, tent site, hostel, etc). My Custom message stated that I had changed my itinerary or was in a dicey situation & would send an 'OK' message as soon as I could. My 'Help' message meant that I was in non-life threatening situation. If I sent the 'Help' message that was followed by an 'SOS' message, that meant that someone other than me was needing emergency help. Of course, the 'SOS' message meant I was in dire straights & needed emergency help.

Now, I use the DeLorme InReach device. My three pre-programmed messages are: 'Just checking in... I'm OK' (randomly during the day), 'my camp for the night', and 'Delayed by weather and/or conditions... I'll proceed when it is safe to do so.'

MuddyWaters
12-20-2015, 23:14
I just tell my family if they havent heard from me in a week, start to worry a little.
Two weeks, call someone.

Other than that, I told them if im in a remote area and they get a phone call to verify a PLB signal, ...say yes.

Turk6177
12-21-2015, 09:01
I use OK when I stop for an amount of time over 1/2 hour, like lunch. Then if anyone is following my tracks they won't wonder why new ones have not updated. I use the custom "I am done hiking for the day and camping here for the night" at the end of my day. I do that so someone knows my last point, and, I shut my spot off at night to save batteries. In the morning I just hit the track button and they can look up and see new tracks.

Uncle Joe
12-21-2015, 13:08
I use my OK message to let family know I'm OK. My custom is for them to know there's an issue.

OK: Hey! I am here and OK!

Custom: You may need to come get me.

Wise Old Owl
12-27-2015, 23:18
When I used my Spot, my 'OK' message meant I was done for the day (shelter, tent site, hostel, etc). My Custom message stated that I had changed my itinerary or was in a dicey situation & would send an 'OK' message as soon as I could. My 'Help' message meant that I was in non-life threatening situation. If I sent the 'Help' message that was followed by an 'SOS' message, that meant that someone other than me was needing emergency help. Of course, the 'SOS' message meant I was in dire straights & needed emergency help.
?
Now, I use the DeLorme InReach device. My three pre-programmed messages are: 'Just checking in... I'm OK' (randomly during the day), 'my camp for the night', and 'Delayed by weather and/or conditions... I'll proceed when it is safe to do so.'

Can you give the group a better idea as to why you personally switched?