PDA

View Full Version : New here, looking for advice and resources

Chris0617
12-21-2015, 12:04
Morning everyone! It has always been a dream of mine to thru-hike the AT. I'm planning on doing it the summer of 2018 after I graduate from college. There are a couple issues, however. I have a back injury from a combat deployment that limits the amount of weight I can carry. I also will have a service dog by then and am wondering if that will be an issue?

I know I have a long way to go to get in shape for this but it is something I need to do (just like finally finishing my degree!). Any advice or recommendations y'all could give me would be very much appreciated.

Thank you!

Uncle Joe
12-21-2015, 12:12
Weight can be mitigated but only to a point. You should probably talk to your doctor about what your hard limitations are versus those that can be mitigated by getting into shape. If there are things that are never going to improve or if strength training is only going to take you so far then try to get some idea of what that hard weight stop is and work towards it. Keep in mind that most of your pack weight should be resting on your hips. Are their limitations to your hips and lower vertebrae? How much can be augmented by your service dog? Many people who hike with dogs use packs for them to carry water etc. for themselves but a larger dog may be able to take at least a few pounds off of you. Others with more experience can chime in. Personally, my pack weight is around 25 lbs or so with water. You can certainly go lighter but I would think 25 is a decent median weight to consider carrying. I have not thru-hiked but from what I carry on my section hikes and overnighters I think this is about everything I would want on a thru.

Chris0617
12-21-2015, 12:23
My Doc said absolutely no more than 35 pounds. Last time I did any hiking (this was about 25 years ago) was on the Susquehannock (sp?) in PA and I was carrying a 70 pound backpack. The type of dog is not up to me but the VA. It could be anything from a Jack Russell type small dog to a Great Dane. I am rather hoping for a German Shepherd or Lab. But I actually did consider using the dog to mitigate some weight. At the very least it can carry it's own food.

Slo-go'en
12-21-2015, 12:37
Before you commit to a thru hike, try doing some section hikes of a few days to start and if those go well, then go for a week or two and see how you do. That way you'll learn what your capable of and if a 4 to 6 month hike is a good idea or not.

It may turn out you should only hike during the mild weather months to keep your pack weight as light as possible and avoid the more difficult states like NH and Maine.

Hiking with a dog, service or not, has it's own issues which have to be considered. Don't expect to off load much of your load onto the dog. First, a dog can't carry much weight and many will argue they shouldn't carry any at all. Second, pack animals are not allowed on the AT so don't treat your dog like one.

swjohnsey
12-21-2015, 12:38
I never carried more than 20 lbs. There are parts of the trail a dog can't navigate.

Mags
12-21-2015, 12:54
May want to read this link (towards the bottom) for pets. Though you have a service animal as opposed to a pet, similar guidelines will apply.

http://www.appalachiantrail.org/home/explore-the-trail/hiking-basics/groups-families-and-pets

Uncle Joe
12-21-2015, 13:45
My Doc said absolutely no more than 35 pounds. Last time I did any hiking (this was about 25 years ago) was on the Susquehannock (sp?) in PA and I was carrying a 70 pound backpack. The type of dog is not up to me but the VA. It could be anything from a Jack Russell type small dog to a Great Dane. I am rather hoping for a German Shepherd or Lab. But I actually did consider using the dog to mitigate some weight. At the very least it can carry it's own food.

You won't get anywhere near 70lbs if you stick with modern gear. You've already read swjohnsey saying he carried only 20lbs. I think you can count on a sub-35 pack weight easily.

Venchka
12-21-2015, 14:38
You won't get anywhere near 70lbs if you stick with modern gear. You've already read swjohnsey saying he carried only 20lbs. I think you can count on a sub-35 pack weight easily.

Pack weight is budget dependent. 35 pounds is very budget friendly. 20 pounds will be much more expensive. Buy low mileage used gear from folks here at WhiteBlaze in the Gear For Sale forum. That said, backpacks can be very personal items. One pack may not fit all people the same way. It is best to assemble your gear and then shop for a backpack in person that holds your gear.
Great Smoky Mountains National Park will be your biggest obstacle for the dog.

http://www.nps.gov/grsm/planyourvisit/pets.htm

Wayne

Turk6177
12-21-2015, 18:41
I think if you do your research here, you will find you will be able to keep your weight below 35 pounds. You should not have a problem going into the National Parks with a service dog as long as you have papers confirming that. I have seen people use packs for their dogs to have the dog carry their own food.
I would recommend reading Andrew Skunk's book http://andrewskurka.com/product/ultimate-hikers-gear-guide/. This will get you to start thinking about gear "systems" and being able to save weight by having one item perform multiple tasks, like a hat as a pot holder and coozie for you food. You get the point. Anyway, after reading that book, get to know the gear triangle. The three corners of the triangle are lightweight, inexpensive, and durable/comfortable. You can only get two of the three corners. If it is lightweight and comfortable, it won't be inexpensive. If it is inexpensive and lightweight, it won't be comfortable/durable.
Good luck, thank you for your service, and happy hiking.

Chris0617
12-21-2015, 20:03
Before you commit to a thru hike, try doing some section hikes of a few days to start and if those go well, then go for a week or two and see how you do. That way you'll learn what your capable of and if a 4 to 6 month hike is a good idea or not.

Hiking with a dog, service or not, has it's own issues which have to be considered. Don't expect to off load much of your load onto the dog. First, a dog can't carry much weight and many will argue they shouldn't carry any at all. Second, pack animals are not allowed on the AT so don't treat your dog like one.

I will likely be doing a lot of hiking in the Adirondacks and around my town. Might even venture down to the Susquehannock in PA. Unfortunately, I am limited in the range of places I can go.

As far as the dog goes, he would only be carrying his own food. I wouldn't think of off loading my stuff on to him.

swjohnsey
12-21-2015, 21:55
There are spots where you will have to carry, haul, pull the dog.

Mtsman
12-21-2015, 22:50
Chris,

You might want to look into this:

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=2&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwjP5Pqgue7JAhWJNiYKHXcEAQoQFggyMAE&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwarriorhike.org%2Fveterans%2Fappa lachian-trail%2F&usg=AFQjCNGMkuN7cnwyoSi-649ri-fwIFfxyQ&sig2=EOl2vIgyz5T4LJSD1dTlQg

Sorry I am at work right now and you probably know how the military computers are, I cant actually get to the real site you need but that link will get you there.

I briefly thought about signing up for this for my thru hike 2016. Like you, I qualify but I wanted to do this all on my own (some say I am a little too independent). You might want to join the group if nothing else but for a bit of support in the tougher areas. This way your dog could be held and your pack could be held when you are traversing the difficult portions of the AT.

Just a thought,

Chris0617
12-21-2015, 23:36
Chris,

You might want to look into this:

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=2&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwjP5Pqgue7JAhWJNiYKHXcEAQoQFggyMAE&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwarriorhike.org%2Fveterans%2Fappa lachian-trail%2F&usg=AFQjCNGMkuN7cnwyoSi-649ri-fwIFfxyQ&sig2=EOl2vIgyz5T4LJSD1dTlQg

Sorry I am at work right now and you probably know how the military computers are, I cant actually get to the real site you need but that link will get you there.

I briefly thought about signing up for this for my thru hike 2016. Like you, I qualify but I wanted to do this all on my own (some say I am a little too independent). You might want to join the group if nothing else but for a bit of support in the tougher areas. This way your dog could be held and your pack could be held when you are traversing the difficult portions of the AT.

Just a thought,

THANK YOU!!!! I will definitely take a look at them!

MuddyWaters
12-23-2015, 00:16
Piling on, but you carry wt on your hips. Shoulders ache above about 15.

I have lower back issues and have no problems. My pack rarely exceeds 25 , and zero is on my shoulders unless i want it there to give hips a rest. You can pass a pencil under my shoulder straps most of time.

Animals can be a detriment on a long hike. They are not built for it , it can do permanent damage to them, among the other hazards that exist for them. They can also cause you to have to quit.

Chris0617
12-23-2015, 02:21
Piling on, but you carry wt on your hips. Shoulders ache above about 15.

I have lower back issues and have no problems. My pack rarely exceeds 25 , and zero is on my shoulders unless i want it there to give hips a rest. You can pass a pencil under my shoulder straps most of time.

Animals can be a detriment on a long hike. They are not built for it , it can do permanent damage to them, among the other hazards that exist for them. They can also cause you to have to quit.

Thanks for the info. I'm looking at an "ultra light weight" backpack that I may get with my tax return. My Army rucksack is juuust a tad heavy. Thing probably weighs 10 pounds just on it's own!

Out of curiosity, why would a dog be a detriment? Wouldn't the larger breeds (German Shepherd, Labs, etc) be able to handle it? Understand, I'm new at this. My experience with hiking in the last 25 years consists mainly of forced marches with the Army! And those were never more than 25 miles...in full combat gear. So yeah.... LOL

MuddyWaters
12-23-2015, 03:03
Out of curiosity, why would a dog be a detriment? Wouldn't the larger breeds (German Shepherd, Labs, etc) be able to handle it? Understand, I'm new at this. My experience with hiking in the last 25 years consists mainly of forced marches with the Army! And those were never more than 25 miles...in full combat gear. So yeah.... LOL

Well, if you read in the dog forum here you will pick up a lot.
The vast majority. of people that try to hike with dog dont finish.
Hiking 15 miles every day for 5 mo is a little different from a week long hike.
Larger breeds dont fare as well. They can have joint issues.
A dog cant tell you when he hurts, he will push himself until hes really hurt bad before you notice anything is wrong.
A high percentage of people have to quit due to injury. Dogs are no different. The odds one of you gets injured, are much higher than each of you individually. Dogs also demand time and require care, which slows you down. Some do successfully manage it however.

Then, there are the issues with others. Even though true service dogs are very well trained, they arent trained not to step on someones $400 sleeping bag with muddy paws in a crowded shelter. There may be 0-6" between people in shelters. Simply put, plan to tent mostly. Which sounds easy..until its 35F and raining for several days.

Chris0617
12-26-2015, 23:36
Well, if you read in the dog forum here you will pick up a lot.
The vast majority. of people that try to hike with dog dont finish.
Hiking 15 miles every day for 5 mo is a little different from a week long hike.
Larger breeds dont fare as well. They can have joint issues.
A dog cant tell you when he hurts, he will push himself until hes really hurt bad before you notice anything is wrong.
A high percentage of people have to quit due to injury. Dogs are no different. The odds one of you gets injured, are much higher than each of you individually. Dogs also demand time and require care, which slows you down. Some do successfully manage it however.

Then, there are the issues with others. Even though true service dogs are very well trained, they arent trained not to step on someones $400 sleeping bag with muddy paws in a crowded shelter. There may be 0-6" between people in shelters. Simply put, plan to tent mostly. Which sounds easy..until its 35F and raining for several days.

I see. That makes sense. Thanks!

Traveler
12-27-2015, 08:08
It may be a good idea to consult your Vet to see if the dog is in proper condition or is otherwise able to make the trek and take his advice on how to manage very steep sections and water crossings that are difficult for the dog.