PDA

View Full Version : Guided backpacking companies

Snakepit
12-21-2015, 21:15
Anyone ever use on of these service? Where they offer to supply customers with all the gear and take you out with a guild for X amount of days.

Any thoughts on how they work compared to trying to get into backpacking you your own?

Anyone get introduced to backpacking that way?

Mtsman
12-21-2015, 21:41
I have never used any service like that. To me, that just SOUNDS expensive. I mean, you are basically paying someones salary to be out there. I would still think you would need to get your own gear unless you rent and again, that sounds expensive. You also better hope you and your guide get along well. If you don't that could be a long time out in the middle of nowhere with someone you would rather not be with.

I like the freedom I get when I go out in the woods. I don't think I would get the type of freedom I enjoy with a guide telling me when and where I need to go. That is just me and my opinion. If that sounds interesting to you then why not? Heck, I am sure some experienced people around these forums would do that for a bit of cash (maybe even for free -gear costs).

My opinion may have a great deal of negatives there because that is simply not my cup of tea but YMMV, HYOH!

MuddyWaters
12-21-2015, 21:43
Nope.
They are pretty spendy. Figure $250 per day per person.
It adds up.
But they generally cook you nice meals.

For another $200-250/day you can hire someone to carry your pack too.

Assistance is a bad thing. It shortcuts the learning needed. Putting blind faith in someone else to make decisions doesnt teach you anything.
You need to take part in planning, permitting, food selection, calorie planning, safety planning, hazards evaluation, etc to have a clue what you are doing.

Otherwise, its walking and sightseeing.

Kaptainkriz
12-21-2015, 21:49
http://www.rei.com/adventures/trips/weekend/smoky-mountains-backpacking.html#sec1

johnnybgood
12-21-2015, 21:55
Warren Doyle's Appalachain Trail Institute website : www.warrendoyle.com (http://www.warrendoyle.com)

Never in a million years would this appeal to me......

Venchka
12-21-2015, 21:56
Mtsman makes very good points for things that can go wrong. Food is another one if meals are included.
On the other hand, some of the companies offer trips to places that even moderately experienced folks might not be comfortable going to alone. The SE corner of Yellowstone NP-Thorofare area comes to mind. The Skyline Trail in Banff NP is difficult to get a permit for unless you use an outfitter.
My wife would prefer that I not backpack or bike tour alone. I'm considering a guided bike tour one of these days.
Like many choices in life the answer is usually "It depends".
If it works for you, do it.

Wayne

Sent from somewhere around here.

mtntopper
12-21-2015, 22:11
Nothing wrong with using guides. Check reviews. Many people use them. Those that put it down probably haven't used one. Alaska is a good place to use.

Spirit Walker
12-21-2015, 22:46
I think they can be a good idea if you have little experience in planning a trip or if you are going someplace very remote or if you are solo and want company. I looked into doing a group trip the first time we went to Alaska. I was feeling intimidated by the idea of hiking in trailless areas with lots of grizzlies. In the end, we did it ourselves and were fine, but I can see the benefit if you don't feel like you have the skills to cope with a long trip alone.

There is a huge variation in the kind of trip you will get. In some cases the leader may not have a lot more experience than you do, he/she just wants to visit some area and wants company or someone else to foot the bill. Some have very experienced guides who know the area well and can teach you a lot. On some trips, you may eat very well. On others you may end up eating the same crap you would make for yourself.

Sarcasm the elf
12-21-2015, 23:47
Anyone ever use on of these service? Where they offer to supply customers with all the gear and take you out with a guild for X amount of days.

Any thoughts on how they work compared to trying to get into backpacking you your own?

MY only comment is that you would be paying someone to provide you with a service that many people would be glad to provide you with for free. There is nothing wrong with it, but I don't see it as being necessary.

You can likely rent all needed gear at a local REI or EMS and there are number of meetup groups for hikers and backpackers. I don't know what is available in your area, but someone here can probably point you in the right direction.

Just thought I'd throw that out there as another option.

Sarcasm the elf
12-21-2015, 23:52
Nothing wrong with using guides. Check reviews. Many people use them. Those that put it down probably haven't used one. Alaska is a good place to use.

I had assumed, possibly incorrectly, that the question was about hiring a guide for a basic trip, such as 3 season hiking in the Mid-atlantic section of the A.T.

A trip to Alaska or the Rockies, or a winter trip in the White Mountains is a whole different ballgame, in those situations hiring a guide would be the responsible thing for a novice to do. First time I went up Mt Washington in the winter was as part of a guided group trip and it went well.

Mtsman
12-22-2015, 00:51
I had assumed, possibly incorrectly, that the question was about hiring a guide for a basic trip, such as 3 season hiking in the Mid-atlantic section of the A.T.

A trip to Alaska or the Rockies, or a winter trip in the White Mountains is a whole different ballgame, in those situations hiring a guide would be the responsible thing for a novice to do. First time I went up Mt Washington in the winter was as part of a guided group trip and it went well.

+1 I am also guilty of assuming this and my attitude would change given the severity of the trip.

Dogwood
12-22-2015, 01:28
As SW said great variation in the types of guided backpacking companies. However, YES, I have utilized guided backpacking companies to enter the field as a Newbie and during different stages of building my outdoors skill sets. In essence many youngsters including myself were introduced to or were inspired to increase outdoor awareness including backpacking from involvement with the Boy or Girl Scouts. Later, involvement with NOLS, added backpacking/outdoors skills.

I'm always open to professional outdoors instruction that I highly respect. I've taken Climbing(technical, Ice, etc)/Bouldering(most often in trade!, ie: little to NO money exchanged!), mountaineering, Winter Backpacking, Survivalist, Advanced UL Backpacking, Whitewater Rafting(as a volunteer!), Kayaking/Paddling, Wilderness First Aid, spelunking( in trade), etc classes/lessons for example even though I already had some involvement in these specific activities already. Sometimes, we assume we know more than we do. I know I don't know everything so will gladly fast track the learning curve by seeking out professional instruction. FWIW, I wouldn't want to do my first Colorado River Whitewater Grand Canyon NP paddling trip just because I bought some drinks for Joe Paddler and Susie Swimmer and they agreed to answer all my paddling questions.

I'll guesstimate that 40% of those lessons I simply learned by creating some value for others and they in turn taught me rather than dropping BIG do re mi on classes. For example, I did a Advanced Technical Climber's Interior Landscaping in exchange for three different weekend climbing outings where he supplied all the gear that I didn't already have in a barter. I received insider Caving lessons on a two night cave exploration in Kentucky in exchange for a case of beer and a $50 splurge on a barbecue dinner for my two instructors while I let them pump me for LD backpacking knowledge.

I would give a 3.5 - 4.5 stars out of five for what was learned and the logistical hassles that I didn't have to be burdened by in taking NOLS Classes, experiencing guided backpacking tours with state and local Hiking Clubs(NJ/NY Trail Conference, Na Ala Hele( HI Trail Assoc.), Sierra Club, state and local park systems, etc even though later on as I evolved my backpacking/outdoor/ leadership/people skills I was advanced enough as a Hiking Party Leader to have been a part of the Leadership Team.

Also, some guided backpacking companies have insider connections, excellent depth of local knowledge and special limited access to some hiking locations. For example, a guided trip to Machu Picchu, Mt Kilimanjaro, etc makes for a sensible option for a great many. Even utilizing Hawaii Forest and Trails, which I've been associated, can cut through hassles on already time sensitive HI Big Island vacations in an area with LOTS to experience.

If you are a raw Newbie check out local hiking and trail maintenance clubs that sometimes will offer inexpensive OR OFTEN FREE guided hikes/maintenance sessions involving hikes where they sometimes supply gear and food too. My goodness so many AT Clubs would LOVE a extra set of hands even from those totally raw to backpacking and trail maintenance. This is a GREAT WAY TO LEARN while CONTRIBUTING IN RETURN! Check out the ATC for example that sponsors week long trail maintenance sessions where they provide logistical support, maybe gear, and food, in exchange for work.

Another possible source is Conservation Alliances. The Sierra Club was already mentioned but there are so many others. I've had permits/huts/yurts/etc, food, partially or fully equipped backpacking kits, campsites, special privledges, such as limited access to non public highly sensitive areas, coupons/discounts/other Freebies, etc extended to me on day and multi night trips volunteering with Florida Dept Of Resources, Fish and Wildlife Commission, Nature Conservancy, Invasive Species Eradication multi day backpacking outings in Hawaii, etc, ALL WITH NO EXPERIENCE REQUIRED TO VOLUNTEER. I didn't take Warren Doyle's Class but everyone I know who did were more apt to joyfully successfully hike/thru-hike the AT. They were definitely better prepared for hikes after Warren's class. Plus, I respect Warren for his wealth of knowledge and how he teaches.

You might also check on the guided trips Andrew Skurka provides.

I haven't taken advantage of one of REI's Eco Tour Adventures but I have taken several of their classes two more than once. The benefits of the class depends on your teacher and IF THE STUDENT IS IN ATTENDANCE (YOU!).

http://www.nols.edu/alumni/events/
http://content.sierraclub.org/outings/
http://content.sierraclub.org/OUTINGS/national

naturlred
12-22-2015, 07:36
As newbies a few years ago, we did hire guides. Yes they were costly, but we learned so much, had a wonderful time and I would have never attempted some of the things we did without them. I feel they were worth ever penny plus the large tip we left each of them before departing for home at the end of our trip.

That being said, now after doing it a few years, I would not hire them again. Actually, we have since done the same general area and did it on our own this time.

I believe it really depends where you are hiking/backpacking, what your hoping to achieve, and your personal knowledge.

We took a guided trip through REI travels and our two guides were the awesome. I would highly recommend them to anyone looking to have a great time, wonderful food prepared for you(this was nice) and the knowledge shared that these outdoor men and women have to share with there group.

Traveler
12-22-2015, 08:15

Excellent question! Most everyone here was introduced to backpacking in some manner, through a friend, summer camp, scouting, an interest group, etc. The balance were self-introduced and struck out on their own with what they thought would work for a weekend and started their education via experience. Bottom line to both means is, experience will be your guide over time.

Guide services can be pricey, but there are places I would use them like going up Mt Rainier for example. However, if you are looking for a group learning experience a less expensive route a lot of outfitters have field trips they will put on for a minimal amount of money. REI, EMS and others do this routinely and take customers with them into the backcountry. These can be very informative outings and provide some good, basic techniques to those wishing to learn them.

However, as said here by others, experience tends to be the best instructor. Oscar Wilde once said, "Nothing that is worth knowing can be taught" as he nodded to experience being the best teacher. This remains very true and development of your knowledge and skills will be determined by your experience in what works for you and what you prefer.

I wish you luck!

Pringles
12-22-2015, 09:47
I've never had a guided service for a backpacking trip, but for rafting, canoeing and kayaking I have. They provide almost all of the gear, cook good meals (some are wonderful--prime rib in the Grand Canyon, pork chops on the Middle Fork of the Salmon), and know things to point out and side trips that are great. If I'm going somewhere far away, I don't have to take everythinig on the plane with me. I like that. I also do most of my trips alone, and going with a guided service makes that safer. Does it cost? Yes. But it's been worth it.

mikec
12-22-2015, 10:03
I have utilized AMC guided backpacking trips in the Whites. I enjoyed it and met some nice people there.

kjbrown
12-22-2015, 10:24
I have used a guide when I went in 88 to hike the southern desert portion of the PCT about the first 100 miles. The main reason I used a guide was because all my backpacking and camping experience at that time was in northern Minnesota and in the Bighorn's. I was concerned because I was out of my element and the greater danger to my life. I think the money spent was well worth the education I received.

Cotton Terry
12-22-2015, 13:31
I've considered using Glacier Guides for a multi-day trip in GNP. For me, it's a great way to hang out with experienced backpackers and get good training/advice for future high elevation trips. As a plus, they already have the backcountry permits. FWIW.

Coffee
12-22-2015, 13:41
I met numerous hikers who were out as part of guided groups on the Alps. They would have their gear carried from hut to hut (or village) and were led by guides throughout the day who carried emergency supplies, food, and snacks. Many of these people were older and probably could not or would not have done the trip otherwise so there is a place for this service. Anything that gets people out more often is a good thing and the fact that there are people rich enough to pay creates good jobs for young people who want to work outdoors. A win-win.

Hosh
12-22-2015, 19:51
I think they have a place, several good examples above.

If you're thinking of a "once in a lifetime" not to be repeated, seems like a good way to go.

Otherwise, if you think it's something you'll want to stick with, seems like an expensive option. You can buy or rent gear, find a friend or join a club, do something easier to start and find out if backpacking is your thing.

With help on this forum and others, some prudent shopping, you can buy everything, use it, decide not to pursue and re-sell it at a very nominal investment.

One of the great joys of backpacking, other than the beautiful places, is the self confidence/reliance that can be gained in planning, learning, re-learning and enjoying the outdoors. It truly is a life-long hobby.

Mags
12-23-2015, 00:57
I wrote this before...may be of interest...

http://www.pmags.com/why-guided-trips

rickb
12-23-2015, 15:39
I wrote this before...may be of interest...

http://www.pmags.com/why-guided-trips

Good stuff.

At the risk of sidetracking, one skill you mention is

Fitting a pack correctly

I noticed you have a picture of someone's back with a ULA pack. I upgraded to one last spring -- in part based on your online review -- and have wondered about its fit since day one. You see mine fits almost exactly like the one in your photo.

It it feels good walking (an I know that is all that really matters) but since it hangs relatively low on the back, the load lifters don't do much and I am thinking I should have gone for an extra large (even though that was not suggested by my torso length).

Since I will never have the benefit of your personal expertise, what do you think-- does that UlA pack fit right. Please know this is a sincere question driven by a bit of buyer's remorse and way too much perfectionism regarding such things.

RickB

Mags
12-23-2015, 17:11
Well, since I won't see you in person and can make adjustments, I can't give you an honest assessment. The ULA pack for the person in question looks good to me and fit him well "Almost exactly" really doesn't tell me much.. The person in questions pack doesn't look low.Unless you are an identical clone of said person in the photo, my advice may not apply. I suggest calling Chris at ULA.

Tipi Walter
12-23-2015, 17:13
All my backpacking except for a month in the Sierras has been in the mountains and forests of Virginia, North Carolina, Tennessee and Georgia. All four seasons. Self Taught. First trip in Oklahoma in 1957, then moved east.

Point is, no one should need to pay cash money or folding money to experience their God-given right to sleep outdoors.

Odd thing is, I used to run a Backpacking School in 1984-85 to turn on dayhikers to backpacking in the Boone, NC area but since I lived out all the time and didn't have a phone it never really got off the ground. And the entire trip fee was $10. Compare this to what Skurka charges for a 3 day, 2 night trip: $795.

$795?? This would be obscene if you could wrap your head around it.

And now if someone wanted to go with me I'd pull out my old 1984 school flyer and streamline it this way: "See that treeline over there? Go sleep in it."

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-xD0nxwyOqDk/TILJ96jM7FI/AAAAAAAAA74/WQdWbFozcYU/s588-Ic42/gkfkfkfkf.jpg

rickb
12-23-2015, 17:22
Well, since I won't see you in person and can make adjustments, I can't give you an honest assessment. The ULA pack for the person in question looks good to me and fit him well "Almost exactly" really doesn't tell me much.. The person in questions pack doesn't look low.Unless you are an identical clone of said person in the photo, my advice may not apply. I suggest calling Chris at ULA.

Thanks, that's good enough for me. I have a photo but I look fat (the camera adds 40 lbs) and have avoided a visual footprint on the web so far.

There is alot to be said for asking a knowlgeble person's opinion, but I can only go so far....

QHShowoman
12-23-2015, 17:38
I did a guided backpacking trip on the Chilkoot Trail. I'm a single woman in my 40s with a bit of disposable income and a job with flexibility ... and my backpacking buddies aren't, so guided trips are a great option for me when I am traveling in unfamiliar territory. The Chilkoot trip was a birthday present to myself, so I opted for a catered package - I carried all my own gear, snacks and water, but the guides packed the food, cooking supplies and handled the logistics like permits, transportation to and from the trail head, etc.

I had a wonderful time and felt that I got more than my money's worth and wouldn't hesitate to consider a guided trip again, if I was taking a trip somewhere that I was unfamiliar with or required lots of logistics planning. For example, I hope to do an Everest Base Camp trek in a couple years and I would definitely hire a local guide service.

xMagnolia
12-24-2015, 15:50
Tipi- I think I have #1 down, but can I sign up for the rest of the lessons? Especially #2, 3, & 5?

Scrum
12-24-2015, 16:29
Guided hike services are a great way to lower the entry barriers for people new to hiking in the backcountry -- gaining experience and building confidence. If I were going to use such a service, it with be JPD's outfit, the Blue Ridge Hiking Company. http://blueridgehikingco.com

I don't think Jen does much of the guiding, but am sure she oversees it to assure it is well done, safe, educational and fun.

Sheriff Cougar
01-01-2016, 00:43
If you know a female that wants to learn how to lightweight backpack or go on women only backpacking trips I recommend Adventures In Good Company. I took a week long class and we backpacked for 5 days. Before starting backpacking on the trail, we were taught all about tents, stoves, gear, safety info, etc. and along the way the guides were constantly teaching us about backpacking. I loved it and learned all I needed to be able to go out and backpack alone with confidence that I could do it alone. Their guides are certified in many areas of backpacking as well as safety certifications. They are also very experienced backpackers themselves. They only use women guides. https://www.adventuresingoodcompany.com/

Tipi Walter
01-01-2016, 11:35
If you know a female that wants to learn how to lightweight backpack or go on women only backpacking trips I recommend Adventures In Good Company. I took a week long class and we backpacked for 5 days. Before starting backpacking on the trail, we were taught all about tents, stoves, gear, safety info, etc. and along the way the guides were constantly teaching us about backpacking. I loved it and learned all I needed to be able to go out and backpack alone with confidence that I could do it alone. Their guides are certified in many areas of backpacking as well as safety certifications. They are also very experienced backpackers themselves. They only use women guides. https://www.adventuresingoodcompany.com/

When I was pulling a trip in Mt Rogers I think I got to meet such a group---this one from the Women of Adventure guided tours---

https://tipiwalter.smugmug.com/Backpacking2011/Tipi-Walter-In-Mt-Rogers/i-V9SQmHS/0/L/TRIP%20123%20229-L.jpg

Mags
01-01-2016, 13:55
Meet up groups or similar are also great. When I was active in an outdoor group, I used to run beginner winter backpacking trips and three-season backpacking trips for the bubble. (Though, a few times, people generously bought me breakfast the following day as a thank you).

The disadvantage of this method is that there is no guarantee that a beginner oriented trip will be run by a group...

Sheriff Cougar
01-02-2016, 21:09
Tipi, the woman second from the left looks like one of our leaders. So, it was probably from the same company. They do a beginners experience in June of every year on the AT around Damascus/Mt. Rogers area. It was wonderful. Love your Smugmug galleries, too. Lots of info and scenery. How bad was the fawn injured? Internal or legs. I know you had to feel terrible about leaving it.

Dogwood
01-03-2016, 00:26
Did they stuff many nutritional bars into your trail Speedos after you showed them the Tipi Walter shuffle? Go Tipi Go. Go Tipi Go.

Traillium
01-03-2016, 09:49
The Tipi Walter Shuffle?

Please explain!

Bruce Traillium

lemon b
01-03-2016, 10:36
At first glance I thought this was a joke. Not something I could take serious on the AT. Alaska might make sense.