PDA

View Full Version : NEW! I am in need of sage wisdom, advice and guidance.

NewHeart
12-22-2015, 13:03
As I said I'm new. I haven't hike any distance in a great long time and never tried a thru-hike before. I am 62 and a 2 yr heart transplant recipient survivor. Now, with my doctor's overwhelming approval, I plan on doing the AT starting this April. I have done a lot of research in the process of planning and found a great deal of discussion on pack weight. Here's my issue, I have a Marine ILBE pack and I know that is heavier then what most thru-hikes use. Baring the pack I will be carrying more because of what I need to stay healthy, medicines a more robust first aid kit and the such. I will be working with sponsors and blogging along the trail as well, so there is camera, tablet, and spare battery to carry. I am doing this to help draw attention to the bid need for Organ and Tissue donors.

Here are my questions: Has anyone out there done this before? How heavy is to heavy? How can I lighten the load? Any equipment recommendations?:-?

NewHeart
12-22-2015, 13:09
The pic is of me in 2012 when my heart started fail and this is me today!33023

ChrisJackson
12-22-2015, 13:15
How can I lighten the load?

If you're not using the "heavy" stuff daily...you could bounce it up to the next town...pull in and catch up on the blogging...then send it ahead. This could easily be problematic though in cases where you get somewhere too fast or you get there just right...and the destination is closed. But, you're not carrying it daily...by the hour...by the minute....by the second....

Good luck! Inspirational.

Dogwood
12-22-2015, 15:59
As I said I'm new. I haven't hike any distance in a great long time and never tried a thru-hike before. I am 62 and a 2 yr heart transplant recipient survivor. Now, with my doctor's overwhelming approval, I plan on doing the AT starting this April. I have done a lot of research in the process of planning and found a great deal of discussion on pack weight. Here's my issue. I have a Marine ILBE pack and I know that is heavier then what most thru-hikes use. Baring the pack I will be carrying more because of what I need to stay healthy, medicines a more robust first aid kit and the such. I will be working with sponsors and blogging along the trail as well, so there is camera, tablet, and spare battery to carry. I am doing this to help draw attention to the bid need for Organ and Tissue donors.

Here are my questions: Has anyone out there done this before? How heavy is to heavy? How can I lighten the load? Any equipment recommendations?:-?

How heavy is too heavy? It depends on how one hikes and what kind of hike one is anticipating.

Marine ILBE packs(Improved Load Bearing Equipment) backpacks are designed prioritizing HIGH durability and for HEAVY loads, up to 120 lbs, and richly featured with a great amount of attachment pts. In short, they are deigned for combat conditions. Are you anticipating the same conditions for your AT hike? I suspect not. Could one employ such a backpack for a long AT hike ? Yes. Under your anticipated AT hike scenario and given your medical condition do you really need an 8.8 lb 4500 cubic inch backpack designed for up to a 120 lb load when a backpack such as the ULA Catalyst weighs in at 3 lbs 4600 cubic inches and can carry up to 50 lbs?

It is not just gear that can reduce the wt you haul but also savvy logistical considerations. For example 1) if you resupply more often assuming 2lb food wt/day that reduces the wt you haul 2) through apprisal of water locations on the AT listed in either AWOL's AT Guidebook or the ATC's Thru-Hiker's Companion you can restrict unnecessarily carrying extra water wt which adds up FAST at 2.2 lbs per Liter http://appalachiantrials.com/at-guide-appalachian-trail-thru-hikers-companion/ 3) as Chris Jackson shared, bouncing "stuff" ahead you may not absolutely need on a daily basis but perhaps a closer to weekly basis

I don't typically publicly share this but since you specifically asked, are hiking for a great cause, I too have some involvement with para military operations, and for the simple fact that I too could have labeled myself "New Heart", I will share. Even though I had not completed more than a 80 mile hiking trip, had open heart surgery 3 yrs previous(valve replacement), and had been struck as a pedestrian by a speeding 75 MPH automobile breaking my left ankle and doing ligament damage to that same ankle and resulting in other lesser medical conditions only 4 1/2 months previous I struck out in 2006 on an AT NOBO hike and joyfully summitted Mt Katahdin successfully completing an AT Thru-hike.

I started with a heavy 56-58 lb load(7 lb backpack for example), oodles of meds(various blood thinners, etc), pain killers(actually had an abusive relationship with them resulting from various surgeries), and lingering effects from the automobile accident. But, I was patient, didn't go out too fast too hard too soon, humbly and joyfully observed and meditated deeply, learned quickly placing myself in the role of a student of LD backpacking, and evolved on that hike to a sub 25 lb carry( 2 lb 4 oz backpack for example), completely off pain meds, persevered emotionally, mentally, physically, and spiritually, created empowering memories and a greater awareness, and all while contributing to the betterment of others in my walk.

If I can do it I suspect you can too.

Have a GREAT JOURNEY.

dudeijuststarted
12-22-2015, 16:27
I think it would help the thread if you could provide the additional weight for, say 7 days, of meds. I'd suggest shooting for a pack weight of no more than 35lbs including food and water, but before your meds. Try not to exceed 40lbs. This forum can help shakedown your pack list. Consider a more modern pack (the ULA brand is a good starting point.) You'd probably be better off moving lighter with a good maildrop system. With modern AT guides, such as AWOL, you should be able to get your maildrops out there, shuttles planned, etc.

Slo-go'en
12-22-2015, 16:30
In general, the lighter your pack is, the better off you are. This goes for everyone - young, old, infirm or in the picture of health.

Pack weight is heavily influenced by two things : time of year and money. Time of year because in the colder months you need more clothes and more sleeping bag to keep warm then you do in the summer. Money because the lighter the gear, the more expensive it is. When it comes to backpacking, it costs more to have less.

That said, it's not too hard to put together a three season kit which will come in under 25 pounds W/food (for 3-4 days) and water(for that day) without breaking the bank. Heart transplant or not, no one wants to carry much more then 25 pounds very far, or for very long.

The first thing to do is forget about any gear you might have now since it's either old or not suitable, like that military pack. You want all new stuff and the lightest you can afford.

You go to town often enough that you only have to carry a few days or a week worth of your meds at a time. A good smart phone can do all the internet chores and take pretty decent pictures all in one handy little device, so that's not a big deal either.

Good luck.

Hangfire
12-22-2015, 16:31
There are some amazing lightweight backpacking components out there, and many of them are hand made in the USA. Zpack makes an unbelievably light water proof backpack, other companies such as 6 moons also have a large selection of products. One thing you have to wrap your mind around is that though the trail is almost 2200 miles long you can break it down into 20-50 mile sections which is about the distance you have to hike to be able to get back to civilization. As mentioned by previous posters this offers you access to PO's and the ability to ship and bounce supplies to yourself and also to get rid of unneeded items on a weekly basis and allowing you to lighten things up quickly if needed. Go light as possible, break the trail into small pieces, and go have an adventure of a lifetime!

bemental
12-22-2015, 18:34
I'm currently in the process of transitioning from the military hiking mindset, to that of a (much lighter, consequently) civilian mindset. I've gotten rid of all of my surplus gear that 'I thought I'd need', and am slowly but surely purchasing newer, much lighter, kit.

It's not been any easy transition, but it is a necessary one. Military hiking is typically high-weight, short-distance (with today's 'hikes' traditionally meaning an approach march of a few hours), while civilian hiking can be anywhere from a day hike to a multi-month endeavor.

Basically, a 25 pound, loaded military pack is not equivalent to a 25 pound, loaded civilian pack.

While you may or may not need to go ultralight because of your medical concerns, compared to what we've dealt with on the military side, it may certainly seem ultra light to us. There are very few pieces of military gear, from my opinion, that you're going to find transition appropriately to civilian use, at least in the longer-distance hiking realm (car camping aside, military surplus is great stuff).

two cents

NewHeart
12-22-2015, 18:45
I thank you for sharing your experience! I will take it to heart. I have been training with a 40# load hiking a 3 mile loop that includes a couple 8 or 9% inclines and descents. It takes me 1hr 20min to complete.

swjohnsey
12-22-2015, 18:50
The lighter you get the better your odds of finishing. Military gear is not the answer. It is well designed for its purpose but that ain't thru-hiking the AT.

Malto
12-22-2015, 19:05
I started my backpacking career with a military pack. I highly recommend looking elsewhere. To give you some perspective using Dogwood info, my entire gear list weighs less than that pack. You don't have to go that light but you will enjoy the walking more with a much lighter pack. I would share your gear list on here, whittle it down and most importantly go out and hike. Good luck and I wish you well on your hike.

NewHeart
12-22-2015, 19:16
I think it would help the thread if you could provide the additional weight for, say 7 days, of meds. I'd suggest shooting for a pack weight of no more than 35lbs including food and water, but before your meds. Try not to exceed 40lbs. This forum can help shakedown your pack list. Consider a more modern pack (the ULA brand is a good starting point.) You'd probably be better off moving lighter with a good maildrop system. With modern AT guides, such as AWOL, you should be able to get your maildrops out there, shuttles planned, etc.

7 days of meds I don't think that would be enough, I could be wrong. Several of my meds are for anti-rejection and to keep the heart healthy. I don't want to get caught short or be without. As far as what the actual weight of my additional gear, I have not determined that yet. This is the planning stage of things. I will be acquiring my equipment after the holidays. Need to see what Santa is going to bring me:)

Shutterbug
12-22-2015, 19:19
I agree that a military back pack isn't a good idea. When I was younger, I hiked with a pack that weighted 8 lbs. If you start with an eight pound pack, thee is a temptation to add to the weight because you are already heavy. The things you mentioned are not that heavy except for possibly the camera. I recently bought one of the mirrorless cameras and cut significant weight.

You asked "How heavy is too heavy?" The answer will vary based on your own situation, but I consider anything over 35 lbs to be too heavy.

NewHeart
12-22-2015, 19:47
I forgot to ask what are your feeling about the Gregory line of packs.

78owl
12-22-2015, 19:53
I'm currently in the process of transitioning from the military hiking mindset, to that of a (much lighter, consequently) civilian mindset. I've gotten rid of all of my surplus gear that 'I thought I'd need', and am slowly but surely purchasing newer, much lighter, kit.

It's not been any easy transition, but it is a necessary one. Military hiking is typically high-weight, short-distance (with today's 'hikes' traditionally meaning an approach march of a few hours), while civilian hiking can be anywhere from a day hike to a multi-month endeavor.

Basically, a 25 pound, loaded military pack is not equivalent to a 25 pound, loaded civilian pack.

While you may or may not need to go ultralight because of your medical concerns, compared to what we've dealt with on the military side, it may certainly seem ultra light to us. There are very few pieces of military gear, from my opinion, that you're going to find transition appropriately to civilian use, at least in the longer-distance hiking realm (car camping aside, military surplus is great stuff).

two cents
Are you saying 25 pounds in the military is heavier than 25 pounds in civilian life??

bemental
12-22-2015, 19:56
Nope - I'm saying that 25 lbs of military gear is different than 25 lbs of typical trail gear.

Pack weighs more, food weighs more, definitely no ammo in a civilian pack, radios, batteries, MRE's, etc.

It's a different mindset. Items typically weigh significantly less on the civy side.

MuddyWaters
12-22-2015, 19:58
Good luck to you. A friend of mine is about 6 months into his heart transplant. Tough road.

fiddlehead
12-22-2015, 20:40
What kind of mileage do you expect to do?
What do you comfortably do now?
With or without pack?

I'd switch from tablet to phone and save an ounce wherever I possibly could.
And plan on hitting a LOT of resupply towns, roadside stores, etc.

If you can do 12-15 mile days, you can do the AT with resupplying ever 3-4 days. (with a few exceptions)
Even if you only do 10 mile days, 4-5 days out is all you need and you can start NOBO with much less (send a box to Neels Gap at mile 30)
That can be important in food weight. (30 miles between resupplies @ 10 mpd means 2 days food, not 3)

If you are doing a SOBO hike, you might have some problems getting through the 100 mile wilderness, but you can get some food delivered in there. (and I would suggest you do)
If a NOBO hike, you'll have it all figured out by then anyway.

Good luck and Have Fun!

Mtsman
12-22-2015, 20:47
I forgot to ask what are your feeling about the Gregory line of packs.

Whiteblaze people are very genuine in their answers. They are not going to tell you one thing to make you feel better, they are going to tell you blunt truths that they have come to learn (usually the hard way) Keep that in mind when you ask for answers and if some of those answers are hard to swallow. They really are looking out for your best interests, even if you don't want to hear them sometimes.

That being said, Not every pack is for every body. These are the steps that I would take If I were in your situation.

First I would go to REI or a local, competent, outfitter near you. I would go and get your back measured professionally (if they try to charge you money, immediately walk out, never to return) and see how "long" your back is. The representative should be trying to fit the measuring device right on your iliac crest, if they are not, ask for someone else or immediately walk out, never to return. This will get your measurements. I would highly suggest not buying anything there at that time and come back to the comfort of your own home and start online shopping or supply your measurement to the WB people here. That will help narrow down packs that simply wont fit you or are not good for you.

The more open you are about your measurements here, back and waist at the iliac crest being two very important ones, the better the people here can help narrow down your choices to better fit you.

That simple step will save you several backpack iterations and pains in certain areas with certain packs (ask me how I know this ;) )

YMMV HYOH

swonut
12-22-2015, 21:03
DO NOT UNDERSETIMATE THE ACCUMULATION OF WEIGHT! OUNCES MATTER - LOTS.

Now you can carry more, or less, but at the end of the day, no one ever advocates for carrying heavier stuff. I remember my AT shakedown at mountain crossings. Traded the guy a 5 oz swiss army knife for a 2 oz swiss army knife. Too many clothes. Too much electronics. Too many back-ups. Really, if my headlamp fails, can I still make it to the next town? Can I borrow someone else's spare? Can I buy it from them? The thing that most surprised me was the camaraderie and the willingness to help and share. If I were planning it again, I'd have 200 bucks in 20's and leave all my "spares and in-case items behind"

At any given overnight, there is someone with a cellphone, another with a SPOT and someone with bandaids. I'm not advocating sponging full time, but realizing that any given night, there was 15-20 folks (and may times many more than that) within whistle range was something I had not considered.

Take a careful look at this picture and think about how much capacity and capability is contained in the part you can see.

AT2014190-XL.jpg (https://swonut.smugmug.com/Travel/AT-through-GSMNP/i-8x7xnjf/0/XL/AT2014190-XL.jpg)

juniorace
12-22-2015, 21:23
I would also suggest visiting one of the REI stores that are in your vicinity, of which there are a couple. Staff is always friendly and willing to help you with your needs. Have a look at several of their packs and have yourself sized for fitment. Spend ample time there, and also here on the forums. There are also some real helpful gear reviews from hikers on Youtube. Narrow down your gear as much as possible and try to trim the weight. I have seen some folks really struggling carrying way too much weight. You will have ample places (especially in the south) for mail drops to help with your food and med needs. After you get a good handle on what gear you really like, you may purchase it at REI...or keep an eye on the classifieds here on WB, or Craigslist (use www.SearchTempest.com), or eBay. I have saved HUNDREDS on gear this way .

NewHeart
12-23-2015, 03:36
Good luck to you. A friend of mine is about 6 months into his heart transplant. Tough road.

It was for me too! My best advice for your friend is to do exactly what the doctors tell me to do. Keep a positive attitude and do the rehab with as much vigor he can muster. It will pay off in the long run. My prayers are with him.

CedarKeyHiker
12-23-2015, 08:49
I wish you much success on your journey. Yours is a truly inspiring story and it has touched me somewhere down deep. Please keep your progress in a public forum...

NewHeart
12-23-2015, 13:21
Whiteblaze people are very genuine in their answers. They are not going to tell you one thing to make you feel better, they are going to tell you blunt truths that they have come to learn (usually the hard way) Keep that in mind when you ask for answers and if some of those answers are hard to swallow. They really are looking out for your best interests, even if you don't want to hear them sometimes.

That being said, Not every pack is for every body. These are the steps that I would take If I were in your situation.

First I would go to REI or a local, competent, outfitter near you. I would go and get your back measured professionally (if they try to charge you money, immediately walk out, never to return) and see how "long" your back is. The representative should be trying to fit the measuring device right on your iliac crest, if they are not, ask for someone else or immediately walk out, never to return. This will get your measurements. I would highly suggest not buying anything there at that time and come back to the comfort of your own home and start online shopping or supply your measurement to the WB people here. That will help narrow down packs that simply wont fit you or are not good for you.

The more open you are about your measurements here, back and waist at the iliac crest being two very important ones, the better the people here can help narrow down your choices to better fit you.

That simple step will save you several backpack iterations and pains in certain areas with certain packs (ask me how I know this ;) )

YMMV HYOH

That's good advice! I learned a long time ago not to be afraid to ask the question, but understand you may not like what you hear. That said, I figured by asking here I would get honest answers and good advice from those who went before me! In my working life I kept to the mantra "Work smart not hard, learn from other peoples mistakes." :)

NewHeart
12-23-2015, 13:35
DO NOT UNDERSETIMATE THE ACCUMULATION OF WEIGHT! OUNCES MATTER - LOTS.

Take a careful look at this picture and think about how much capacity and capability is contained in the part you can see.

AT2014190-XL.jpg (https://swonut.smugmug.com/Travel/AT-through-GSMNP/i-8x7xnjf/0/XL/AT2014190-XL.jpg)

I saw all the tents. Any Hangers?

NewHeart
12-23-2015, 20:34
I borrowed this from the net! (stole is such a nasty word)3303533036 It weighs less than 30 grams! I use Heet as the fuel.

RockDoc
12-23-2015, 20:53
I would recommend that you trim down your gear, plan on bumping some of the medicine, etc to the next post office, and then do some shakedown hikes. You can do this, and I think it's great!, but make it easier on yourself and plan, plan, plan.

Regarding weight, there's no reason that your big 3 (pack, tent, bag) should weigh any more than, say, 10 lbs. If you are going solo you can get away with a very light tent, 3 lbs or so. Bags, go sub-kilo (2.2 lbs). Packs, under 3 lbs easy if you go with Gossamer, Six Moon Designs, Golite, etc (maybe not so much Gregory). If you sort out your big 3 you are half way there, weight wise. Best of luck.

Venchka
12-23-2015, 21:19
Big 3 under 10 pounds is easy.
Back in the Dark Ages, pre-Internet:
1974 Jensen pack.
1994 Garuda Atman 4 season tent.
2014 Alpinlite sleeping bag.
Total: 8 pounds 9 ounces.
A new Lightheart Gear or TarpTent shelter would easily take 2 pounds off of that total for 3 season use.
USPS Priority Mail packages will be forwarded free IF you don't take delivery.
Suppose you're carrying 2-3 weeks of meds and have your next supply in a bounce box sent 1-2 post offices ahead. When you get close to the post office with the meds and don't need them, call the post office and ask for the package to be forwarded to the next post office up the trail. No charge.
Good luck.

Sent from somewhere around here.

NewHeart
12-23-2015, 21:24
I would recommend that you trim down your gear, plan on bumping some of the medicine, etc to the next post office, and then do some shakedown hikes. You can do this, and I think it's great!, but make it easier on yourself and plan, plan, plan.

Regarding weight, there's no reason that your big 3 (pack, tent, bag) should weigh any more than, say, 10 lbs. If you are going solo you can get away with a very light tent, 3 lbs or so. Bags, go sub-kilo (2.2 lbs). Packs, under 3 lbs easy if you go with Gossamer, Six Moon Designs, Golite, etc (maybe not so much Gregory). If you sort out your big 3 you are half way there, weight wise. Best of luck. The plan is to bump some of the meds, but as I said earlier only having 7 days on hand is not an option I'm will to take. I plan on a hammock and fly made of 1.1oz Silpoly for the fly and 1.6 HyperD for the hammock. Just added this to my gear it weighs 88 grams with the batteries. 33042

juniorace
12-23-2015, 21:25
I'm sure some will pipe in on hammocks. I prefer a tent. When by myself, I carry a Big Agnes Fly Creek that weighs about 2 pounds. Found it on Craigslist for $135 (near mint condition).

chiefduffy
12-23-2015, 22:08
Gregory makes a good pack for carrying a lot of weight. I have one for when my wife hikes with me, and I pretty much double my base weight. I carry a ULA when I hike by myself, and I highly recommend ULA for you. Give them a call...they will work with you, and they guarantee satisfaction with their packs.

NewHeart
12-23-2015, 22:57
Gregory makes a good pack for carrying a lot of weight. I have one for when my wife hikes with me, and I pretty much double my base weight. I carry a ULA when I hike by myself, and I highly recommend ULA for you. Give them a call...they will work with you, and they guarantee satisfaction with their packs.At this point i'm going to worry about the rest of the stuff before the pack. I will know what I need then. I did look at the ULA, I'm not sure how I feel about not having easy access to the contents of my pack. It may be i'm use to my ILBE. I think they are a bit pricey too. Do they have a rigid internal frame? Lastly, I'm old and the ground isn't kind to me anymore. My wife and I did the tent thing for a great many years, but had to switch to a popup camper. The hammock will be light and get me off the ground.

NewHeart
12-23-2015, 23:06
USPS Priority Mail packages will be forwarded free IF you don't take delivery.
Suppose you're carrying 2-3 weeks of meds and have your next supply in a bounce box sent 1-2 post offices ahead. When you get close to the post office with the meds and don't need them, call the post office and ask for the package to be forwarded to the next post office up the trail. No charge.That's good to know! I can live with 2-3 of meds, but not 7 days. AS you know anything can happen on the trail. Spilling my meds on the ground them getting wet or damp. (was thinking making daily vacuumed sealed pouches, if my sealer will do that) I prepare for the worse. In my case better to be safe then sorry!

Dogwood
12-23-2015, 23:40
That's good to know! I can live with 2-3 of meds, but not 7 days. AS you know anything can happen on the trail. Spilling my meds on the ground them getting wet or damp. (was thinking making daily vacuumed sealed pouches, if my sealer will do that) I prepare for the worse. In my case better to be safe then sorry!

I'm the same way. I can make it several days without supplements which holistically substitute for prescription blood thinners, joint/neurological/ligament support, etc but after several days my blood can start to coagulate resulting in blood clots. Not good in strenuous LD moderately remote backpacking situations. This happened once, not hiking related, and resulted in clots that very fortunately went painfully to my spleen to dissolve rather than someplace like lodging in my heart, arteries, or brain! Hospitalized for nearly two wks on that episode.

FWIW, and I sense you already know this, the more the critical your meds the more you should not cut it so close in your daily supply. Consider, if you aren't already, bringing 3-4 extra days meds between carefully considered resupplies. Since, you're a Newbie LD hiker on these meds you should consider providing an even greater security window carrying extra days meds. Once you get a better feel for your pace you MIGHT consider a lesser security window.

One excellent trait of the AT are oodles of reliable potential bounce box or mailed box locations to choose from. I too almost only send Priority US mail 90 % being Priority Flat Rate Boxes w/ set prices. Send to US POs that have Sat hrs but also consider sending med supplies to hostels, hotels, outfitters, lodges, trail angels, etc. as you're less likely, at least initially, to be put in the situation where you're forced to wait until a Monday(open US PO hrs) to get your meds.

Mtsman
12-24-2015, 00:42
I love my hammocks. I have had a ton of them and for my back they are about all I can stand anymore. One thing I would caution you of is this. Stay away from bottom entry hammocks. The reason being is, if you are like me and like to sleep comfortable you will more than likely switch to a UQ (under quilt) either immediately or in the near future. Most UQ's are not designed to separate from the bottom and will severely limit your choices. Also, if you get a bottom entry you probably wont be able to get a double layer hammock which, if you arent going the UQ way you will need to get a pad. That double layer helps wonders in holding the pad in place so you dont get CBS (cold butt syndrome). Either way the bottom entry hammocks are not ideal if you want to future proof your gear (ask me how I know :) )
I would also suggest a gathered end hammock over anything else as they typically (not always) are lighter and easier to setup. As an added bonus you can fundamentally change the way you lay in them in several different ways (especially asym hammocks). We can get more into that later if you need.

chiefduffy
12-24-2015, 07:31
I have been hammock hiking for years. I recommend the Warbonnet Blackbird. I also have a Sheltowee, which is slightly heavier but has an integrated down underquilt and more room.

NewHeart
12-24-2015, 08:23
I have been hammock hiking for years. I recommend the Warbonnet Blackbird. I also have a Sheltowee, which is slightly heavier but has an integrated down underquilt and more room.I also joined HF and have bee read a lot of their stuff Shug is a blast and a fountain of knowledge. I plan on making my own hammock, although Dutch just posted his new prototype that has drawn my interested. I was going with the SL and making a bivy sac out of ProDex. It's similar to Reflectix, but with a higher R-value, that should take care of any CBS. The fly is going ti be made from 1.1oz silpoly and bug net from .5oz nano Noseeum. To tell the truth I saw an ENO system at Basspro and that is how all this started. I have an old canvas Coleman 40* bag that I still use and a fleece liner for those colder nights. I know that is not going to work for this. I need some suggestions. Keep in mind SSI keeps the wallet on the thin side.

I must thank all of you for all the good advice and insight. Hopefully I will meet you on the trail. OH! CedarKey recommended my trail name "TinMan". What do you think?:banana

NewHeart
12-24-2015, 11:24
Looking at BD treking poles: Do I go with the Alpine with cork grips or the Pro Shock with rubber grips?

Malto
12-24-2015, 12:33
I'm the same way. I can make it several days without supplements which holistically substitute for prescription blood thinners, joint/neurological/ligament support, etc but after several days my blood can start to coagulate resulting in blood clots. Not good in strenuous LD moderately remote backpacking situations. This happened once, not hiking related, and resulted in clots that very fortunately went painfully to my spleen to dissolve rather than someplace like lodging in my heart, arteries, or brain! Hospitalized for nearly two wks on that episode.

FWIW, and I sense you already know this, the more the critical your meds the more you should not cut it so close in your daily supply. Consider, if you aren't already, bringing 3-4 extra days meds between carefully considered resupplies. Since, you're a Newbie LD hiker on these meds you should consider providing an even greater security window carrying extra days meds. Once you get a better feel for your pace you MIGHT consider a lesser security window.

One excellent trait of the AT are oodles of reliable potential bounce box or mailed box locations to choose from. I too almost only send Priority US mail 90 % being Priority Flat Rate Boxes w/ set prices. Send to US POs that have Sat hrs but also consider sending med supplies to hostels, hotels, outfitters, lodges, trail angels, etc. as you're less likely, at least initially, to be put in the situation where you're forced to wait until a Monday(open US PO hrs) to get your meds.

Also, sometimes resupplies go missing or can't be picked up. that also would need to be factored in depending on how critical the medications are for you. Different trail, different circumstance but I had three straight resupplies go missing on the PCT. One I got back several months later.

NewHeart
12-24-2015, 13:06
Also, sometimes resupplies go missing or can't be picked up. that also would need to be factored in depending on how critical the medications are for you. Different trail, different circumstance but I had three straight resupplies go missing on the PCT. One I got back several months later.Let's put it this way I currently take 19 pills in the morning alone. Another 21 throughout the day. Sucks, but I'm alive and kickin'

bigcranky
12-24-2015, 15:57
I did look at the ULA, I'm not sure how I feel about not having easy access to the contents of my pack.

Most of the packs that long distance hikers use have a big mesh pocket on the front, a couple of large side pockets, and usually a pair of hip belt pockets -- everything I need during the day fits in those pockets with the possible exception of lunch. Snacks go in my left hip belt pocket; gloves, hat, hand sanitizer go in the right; water bottle in each side pocket; the mesh front pocket holds my rain shell, map, rain cover, warm layer when I take it off, TP, etc.

The ULA has a rigid internal frame. The Circuit would be reasonable choice -- there are hundreds of them on the trail every year. We have owned three of them. I recently replaced mine with a Zpacks Arc Haul, which is similar but probably a little trickier to use. But it saves me about 12 ounces, which is significant when talking about packs this light.

You're getting good advice here. That military pack you own is terrific, but empty it weighs almost twice as much as my two person tent, sleeping bag, pack, and pad combined (seriously). Unless you're planning on carrying 50 or 70 or 100 pounds, it's way overkill.

Good luck with the planning and the hike.

Gnomad
12-24-2015, 20:50
If you or someone you know can sew, quilts are easy projects. I have yet to see anyone on hammockforums say they tried an underquilt and went back to their pad or bubble wrap. Sleeping well cannot be overrated. 2 yds of climashield is $28 for 6oz/yd. You could have a complete underquilt for $50ish that will take you into the 20s.

NewHeart
12-25-2015, 01:09
Most of the packs that long distance hikers use have a big mesh pocket on the front, a couple of large side pockets, and usually a pair of hip belt pockets -- everything I need during the day fits in those pockets with the possible exception of lunch. Snacks go in my left hip belt pocket; gloves, hat, hand sanitizer go in the right; water bottle in each side pocket; the mesh front pocket holds my rain shell, map, rain cover, warm layer when I take it off, TP, etc.

The ULA has a rigid internal frame. The Circuit would be reasonable choice -- there are hundreds of them on the trail every year. We have owned three of them. I recently replaced mine with a Zpacks Arc Haul, which is similar but probably a little trickier to use. But it saves me about 12 ounces, which is significant when talking about packs this light.

You're getting good advice here. That military pack you own is terrific, but empty it weighs almost twice as much as my two person tent, sleeping bag, pack, and pad combined (seriously). Unless you're planning on carrying 50 or 70 or 100 pounds, it's way overkill.

Good luck with the planning and the hike.I already decided to take the advice on ditching the ILBE and saving it for camping not hiking. I was going to go to the local REI and get measured and while there look at the Gregory and Deuter packs. Mostly look! I'm still training with heavier weight so when I do cut back the weight I will actually be carrying I'll know I can go for the long haul.

Malto
12-25-2015, 09:04
I already decided to take the advice on ditching the ILBE and saving it for camping not hiking. I was going to go to the local REI and get measured and while there look at the Gregory and Deuter packs. Mostly look! I'm still training with heavier weight so when I do cut back the weight I will actually be carrying I'll know I can go for the long haul.

It it sounds like you are rethinking your entire gear set. if so then buy your pack last. You may end up needing a pack much, much smaller than you can imagine.

When I switched to "civilian gear" I went from 65l to 45 l to another lighter 45l to my current 25l over the full evolution that lasted about three years. When I was using a 65l I would have never believed that a 25l pack was possible. But as each piece of gear was replaced (or rereplaced) I significantly reduced volume. As I whittled down the amount of stuff such as extra clothes the volume reduced as did the need for 100 pockets on the pack.

Buying you pack last will help avoid buy multiples as you hone your gear list down.

NewHeart
12-25-2015, 13:04
It it sounds like you are rethinking your entire gear set. if so then buy your pack last. You may end up needing a pack much, much smaller than you can imagine.

When I switched to "civilian gear" I went from 65l to 45 l to another lighter 45l to my current 25l over the full evolution that lasted about three years. When I was using a 65l I would have never believed that a 25l pack was possible. But as each piece of gear was replaced (or rereplaced) I significantly reduced volume. As I whittled down the amount of stuff such as extra clothes the volume reduced as did the need for 100 pockets on the pack.

Buying you pack last will help avoid buy multiples as you hone your gear list down.I figured that was the way to go. I made my little alcohol pop can stove the other day. I still need to make the stand (something else I'm borrowing from the net) it is made from 14 ga wire. The whole kit should come in at about 30-35 grams minus the fuel. My headlamp is 88 grams with the batteries.

I have ordered (4) yards of 1.6oz HyperD and 7/64 Amsteel for my hammock. Just started looking at the mat'l for the UQ. I'm thinking the BD Ergo Cork trek or the Pro Shock poles. The Pro Shock have rubber grip and 3oz heavier.

Traillium
12-25-2015, 15:57
My experience with the BD Pro-Shock is that the spring mechanism clicks a lot. Bothersome on hard surfaces … I'm 95kg and well-aged, so perhaps the antishock is worthwhile. But there are times I wish I'd bought lighter…

Bruce Traillium

NewHeart
12-25-2015, 17:48
My experience with the BD Pro-Shock is that the spring mechanism clicks a lot. Bothersome on hard surfaces … I'm 95kg and well-aged, so perhaps the antishock is worthwhile. But there are times I wish I'd bought lighter…

Bruce TrailliumYou got 3 years on me and a bit heavier. I had read something about the rubber grips vs the cork. I can't remember which was better.

NewHeart
12-25-2015, 19:44
Regarding weight, there's no reason that your big 3 (pack, tent, bag) should weigh any more than, say, 10 lbs. If you are going solo you can get away with a very light tent, 3 lbs or so. Bags, go sub-kilo (2.2 lbs). Packs, under 3 lbs easy if you go with Gossamer, Six Moon Designs, Golite, etc (maybe not so much Gregory). If you sort out your big 3 you are half way there, weight wise. Best of luck.Most of my gear i'm planning on DYI stuff, that said, I'm spend Christmas day doing some ruff calculations on the stuff I've ordered. I've come up with this:

SL hammock - 13.9 oz (without tree straps)
winter 12 rain fly - 16.1 oz (without stakes & tie downs)
bottom entery bug net - 9 oz
10* UC using 7.5 Climashield Apex - 30.9 oz (note if I go wit 5.0 it would be lighter, but my clothing would go up)
TC about the same as UC - 30.9 oz
(10) TI stakes & tie downs - 10 oz ruffly
Kevlar tree huggers - 1.1 oz
Gregory Stout 45 - 3.5 lbs (only for calculation purposes)

Grand total - 10.5 lbs

That could be under 10 if I use 5.0 instead of 7.5 APEX.:banana

BFI
12-25-2015, 20:16
I used a Baltaro in 2012 and will use it again in 2016. I only got about 1/2 way in 2012 when I developed a heart problem. The Gregory Baltaro is a heavier pack but I liked the access, comfort and the fit. The ultra lite packs I saw had some tearing problems , most likely from Over packing. All that has been said here is valuable information that will take some time to figure out, what works for one hiker might not work for another. A couple of things I did before I went and I'll do again is to have a physio do a muscle evaluation, that is to figure out and to balance my leg strength. If both legs are equally the same strength I believe that I will have a better chance of reducing injuries to the hips, knees and ankle. The other item I cannot stress enough is foot wear. I witness more hikers leaving the trail due blister that did not heal or simply got bigger and bigger due to improper fit of the boots. I'm sure that you can find out from this site the multiple ways of lacing and how to determine a proper fitting boot. You will most likely go through two pairs so might want to pre break in the second pair and have them mailed to you when needed. I started out with an expensive pair of Zamblins which killed my feet and at the NOC I switched to Oboz which were wonderful, the second pair I purchased, same size and type sucked, so now I'm using Keens because of the wide toe box. Like most sports especially skiing, if your feet are warm, dry, and comfortable you'll have a great day. Oh ya one more thing, Fuel, that is fuel for your body, be sure of what you need to power your way each day, mine was pasta and when I hit a town I stuffed myself with salads. I don't know why the salads but that's what I craved and ate when in town. Good Luck. PS I had to have a PVA, that's were they burn the inside of the pulmonary chamber to prevent the electrical storms I was having, it took a while to heal. Maybe see you out there.

fiddlehead
12-25-2015, 20:54
I see the OP is concerned about accessing things in his pack.
I carry a small "ditty bag" that holds my: sewing kit, first aid kit (basically just aspirin and duct tape and small neosporin), spoon, lighter, razor blade, dental floss, toothbrush and tiny toothpaste (refill in town), can opener (P38), fire starter, and (if traveling in winter): small headlamp (if summer, the only light I carry is the small keychain photon II). Small eyedrop holder with chlorine for water treatment, and my reading glasses.
I don't know what else you'd need to access besides water.
Perhaps a camera and if I carry one, I would sew a small pocket onto my shoulder strap in the front that would be easily accessible because I don't use a hipbelt.
That small ditty bag fits into one side mesh pocket (16 oz waterbottle goes in the other one)
I keep my fleece jacket and food bag on top of my pack and I'm good for any rest stop, except cooking gear (which I usually only do at night)
So, everything is accessible, and no need for a bunch or pockets that add weight to any pack.

NewHeart
12-25-2015, 23:02
It is still a work in progress. I'm hoping to have everything sorted out by the end of March. I have been training in a pair of Under Armor early season hunting boots. I bought them for bow hunting and they have become my favorite thing to wear. They are light weight and comfortable. I wear either a pair of Gold toe Power socks for colder days and on warmer days a pair of Stanley work socks. Next week i will be heading to REI to get measured for a pack and to check out shoes/boots.

NewHeart
12-25-2015, 23:42
I see the OP is concerned about accessing things in his pack.The ditty bag is a good idea. I guess access isn't the real issue, because of my heart transplant I need to take pills 5 times a day, every day. Right now, I take 19 at 8am alone. A total of 40 a day. Some of which make it necessary for me wear long sleeves and pants instead of shorts and a tee. I am Immunol-suppressed because of the heart. Am I overly concerned and cautious? Yes! I am an old boy scout and still remember "Be Prepared".

I am taking in everything that I am being told and working to make the necessary changes where I can. The areas that "might" have effect on my health I won't. I know I haven't even scratched the surface of what I need to know. Water filtration and purification is a major issue because of infection. Again, to error on the side of caution I will be using both filter and purifier.

I wan to thank all of you for your input in an effort to make this easier for me. I really appreciate it! I'm not planning on racing thru this, just finishing. One foot in front of the other. I hope to meet some of you along the way.

MuddyWaters
12-25-2015, 23:53
You need your meds. They dont weigh that much.
Infection prevention, fair enough. Nothing wrong with belt and suspenders approach.
Long sleeves is good. But darn near incapacitating in summer heat and humidity. Get something loose and ventillated like railriders if you must go that route in hot weather.

These really dont add up to much excess weight at all. Throw out your old boyscout mentality. Extra stuff does nothing but work against you. Take exactly what you need, and only what you need. You can do this.

The lighter you are, the farther and faster you walk each day. The trail becomes smaller. A 45 mile stretch between resupplies, can be a 4 day hike, or an overnight hike, depending on you and your pack.

NewHeart
12-26-2015, 08:33
You need your meds. They dont weigh that much.
Infection prevention, fair enough. Nothing wrong with belt and suspenders approach.
Long sleeves is good. But darn near incapacitating in summer heat and humidity. Get something loose and ventillated like railriders if you must go that route in hot weather.Thanks Muddy, In the last two years I've had to discard most of my old wardrobe because of the weight lose I had and replaced it with a lot of Columbia wear. My summer clothing consists of mostly Omni-Shade UL shirts and convertible pants. They are well ventilated wick moister away and dry in the slightest of breezes. I have a set of Cabela's fleece base layers to sleep in on colder nights. I have heard a lot about AntiGravity rain gear hear, a bit to pricey for me. Has anyone used the FrogTogs? Any thoughts?

NewHeart
12-26-2015, 08:40
Muddy, I took a look at the Railriders page! I like what I see!! Thanks a bunch!

Gnomad
12-26-2015, 09:11
Dutchware sells 6.0 oz/sq yd climashield if you are debating between 5 and 7.5.

NewHeart
12-26-2015, 09:20
Any recommendation on the cook set? There too many to choose from! And as Yoda said, "choose wisely".

handlebar
12-26-2015, 20:45
I take 2 prescriptions daily and 5 supplements, all at one time. I've always tied the daily pills together in a square of cling wrap cutting off the excess. The daily packages go into a pint ziploc freezer bag. I usually start out carrying a month supply, then replenish from a bounce box every 2 weeks or so in towns where I plan a zero. Like others here I usually use USPS priority mail unless the destination requires UPS or Fedex. All 3 have tracking. Since your meds are so critical, I'd consider carrying an additional week supply in a separate Ziploc or Opsak. I suggest you ask your doc to write up scripts for 1 month supplies should some SNAFU in shipping occur. I just packaged up 12 weeks supply for the Florida Trail and was surprised just how much they weigh. For what it's worth I hiked for a week with a fellow named Fiveway. He'd had 5 bypasses and 5 stents. He had spent something like 5 hours on a treadmill before getting the OK from his doc to hike. Turned out he left the trail due to an injury: fractured metatarsal. He was carrying a way too heavy pack. +1 on recommendations for ULA Catalyst or Circuit. Finally, you will definitely need an underquilt. My hiking partner switched to a hammock in NY and was cold without one in mid-summer. I found that sleeping on the ground on my super cushy Themarest Xtherm inside a tent to be much warmer than on a shelter platform. Nonetheless, I generally sleep in a shelter if there's space, especially if it's raining or likely to. Much faster pack up in the AM.

Vashta
12-28-2015, 10:02
[QUOTE=MuddyWaters;2027892 Long sleeves is good. But darn near incapacitating in summer heat and humidity. Get something loose and ventillated like railriders if you must go that route in hot weather.[/QUOTE]

Hey guys! I'm new here but I do have some experience in wearing what some would see as "incapacitating" clothing in the summer. I perform at a renaissance Faire in Wisconsin every summer wearing up to 4 layers of fairly heavy clothing with everything covered but my hands, neck, and face all while being active with walking, dancing, etc. It can be done but needs to be done smart.

Staying hydrated is the big one; little drinks often. If you can't remember the last time you took a drink, take a drink. If your brain says to you, "it's just too hot", take a drink. You get the idea. Just avoid drinking a lot at once and getting that sloshy feeling in your belly. Also, in really hot weather, drinking something other than just plain water occasionally during the day will help, such as Gatorade, Emergen-C, or the like. You need to keep your electrolytes balanced. Of course, with your heart condition, I bet you know a lot more about your electrolytes than most people.

The other big one is the fabrics you wear. While we have to wear linen and wool for the historical aspect of it, I have learned that actually they are among the most comfortable. They wick away the moisture and dry reasonably quickly at night for the next day's wear, which is exactly what you want for hiking, but I am sure more modern fabrics can do this even better. Again, as with everything, do your research and be happy you don't have to hike on a 90-some degree day with humidity in a corset.

Finally, I have to say, I am inspired by you going out on the AT with all your medical issues. I have just recently decided to start backpacking and was wondering if my "old" (56 years) body could do it....I am certain now that if you can, I can.

Grandscale
12-28-2015, 13:16
If you can't find an alternative to your ILBE pack you can lighten it up by cutting off any parts that you don't need (radio pocket, MOLLE, lengths of cinch straps that arent being used, etc). It might not be a bad idea for you to invest in a SPOT just incase you have a medical emergency out on the trail.

Berserker
12-28-2015, 14:22
First off, that's awesome that you have had a heart transplant and are planning to do the AT. I wish you luck and look forward to hearing how things go. I have a nephew that has had 2 lung transplants, and I know (from second hand info) that it's a tough road after a transplant. Getting an organ transplant isn't like changing an oil filter on your car where you slap a new one in there and shes good to go.

At any rate, I'm gonna give you the advice I give a lot of the new folks coming on here. Take your current gear and borrow, beg or steal (don't really steal of course :D) whatever else you need to get out on some weekend hikes. Do a few of those and figure out what works and what doesn't. Make sure to hit it when it's cold and/or wet. Once you've done that a few times you'll figure out what you really need and what works for you. Then all you gotta do is multiply that by X amount of times where X = your estimated amount of 3 or 4 day periods of time to do the AT. That's all thru hiking the AT is...just a bunch of short hikes strung together with a few additional logistics mixed in (i.e. getting to town to get food and such).

QiWiz
12-29-2015, 16:01
It is pretty easy to get a kit together that is 20-25 pounds INCLUDING food for 3-5 days and 1-2 liters/quarts of water. With a bit more effort and $$, you could even shave another 5 pounds off this pack weight. Lots of advice available on this site to help you do this. To this you would add meds and other "extras". On the tech side, you might want to blog with a smartphone with or without a bluetooth keyboard. You will need a smaller and lighter external battery pack for recharging these than you would need for a tablet.

NewHeart
12-29-2015, 17:59
It is pretty easy to get a kit together that is 20-25 pounds INCLUDING food for 3-5 days and 1-2 liters/quarts of water. With a bit more effort and $$, you could even shave another 5 pounds off this pack weight. Lots of advice available on this site to help you do this. To this you would add meds and other "extras". On the tech side, you might want to blog with a smartphone with or without a bluetooth keyboard. You will need a smaller and lighter external battery pack for recharging these than you would need for a tablet.Hmmm...didn't think of the blutooth keyboard. I should kick myself in the head being a geek and all. Thanks!

QiWiz
12-30-2015, 14:37
Hmmm...didn't think of the blutooth keyboard. I should kick myself in the head being a geek and all. Thanks!

Happy to help. Have a great hike.

Wolfpaw
12-30-2015, 15:41
Ok I will say this as an ultra lighter and a 2000 miler that summer weight should be 8 lbs not including fuel and food. Winter will have at least a 1.)15 degree western mountaineering or comparable by reviews from other 2000 miler sleeping bag.2.) Use a backpack that is like a circuit or granite gear. Less than 3 lb pack. If it's bigger you will take more. In addition don't buy a lot before neel gap. If you do you will get the shake down and be part of the statistical tonage that goes back to rei each season. (I worked a season there) Then you will have to rebuy. and wait for refunds. Also Buy capilene 1 & 2 tops and bottoms or comparable same material or merino. Buy a marmot precip or lighter and a good down jacket. Also get a couple pair of synthetic boxer briefs. Use trekking poles with good warranty. 4.) The mountain hardware mega light on a a 2 lb tent with room. I don't use filters u may want one gravity filter is good choice. I used alcohol stove Pepsi can version with Titan kettle. Use shoes plan on 5 pairs. Use therms rest with good r value for cold. Tyveck sheet for ground cloth. Or footprint. The brands are totally subjective but stick to the companies directly involved with they hiking. The numbered items are the core basically have that weight with a couple lbs of clothes headlamp book etc. don't over buy and don't overthink. every ounce counts. In my opinion the difference between your success in enjoying the time and loathing it is comfort. Don't short the sleeping bag! It's the one thing that will save you in an emergency.

rocketsocks
12-30-2015, 17:14
Ok I will say this as an ultra lighter and a 2000 miler that summer weight should be 8 lbs not including fuel and food. Winter will have at least a 1.)15 degree western mountaineering or comparable by reviews from other 2000 miler sleeping bag.2.) Use a backpack that is like a circuit or granite gear. Less than 3 lb pack. If it's bigger you will take more. In addition don't buy a lot before neel gap. If you do you will get the shake down and be part of the statistical tonage that goes back to rei each season. (I worked a season there) Then you will have to rebuy. and wait for refunds. Also Buy capilene 1 & 2 tops and bottoms or comparable same material or merino. Buy a marmot precip or lighter and a good down jacket. Also get a couple pair of synthetic boxer briefs. Use trekking poles with good warranty. 4.) The mountain hardware mega light on a a 2 lb tent with room. I don't use filters u may want one gravity filter is good choice. I used alcohol stove Pepsi can version with Titan kettle. Use shoes plan on 5 pairs. Use therms rest with good r value for cold. Tyveck sheet for ground cloth. Or footprint. The brands are totally subjective but stick to the companies directly involved with they hiking. The numbered items are the core basically have that weight with a couple lbs of clothes headlamp book etc. don't over buy and don't overthink. every ounce counts. In my opinion the difference between your success in enjoying the time and loathing it is comfort. Don't short the sleeping bag! It's the one thing that will save you in an emergency.that's pretty sage.

NewHeart
12-30-2015, 22:00
In addition don't buy a lot before neel gap. If you do you will get the shake down and be part of the statistical tonage that goes back to rei each season. Neel Gap? Shake down? What are they? I'll be using a hammock. Not planning on a tent, old bones and all that.

Wolfpaw
12-30-2015, 22:38
Neel gap is the store at the 30 mile mark. They only hire thru hikers as I said I worked a season there not rei( to clarify. Ok I like the hammock I have Hennessy hyper light. If you are bigger than 200 lb get a bigger one. I think they rule!
a shakedown is where the store will rip apart your pack and with some sage advice send most of it back if possible and then outfit you with what you need. People will over plan and over pack and by the 30th mile they are suffering pack weight issues. That's why I suggest waiting till then. With a little planning you can fly into Atlanta stay with hiker hostel and shuttle up to neel gap. Then you get dropped at the trail head maybe the next day. Probably cost 70 bucks to save 1000. They will help you big time. I took a 4 lb copy of war & peace out of a pack during a shake down. Now why not photo copy it and Mail drop it? That's the idea here. Hear that can serve two purposes or more and ounce counting. Think trail comfort. And camp comfort. Find a balance. Beyond a headlamp and a book your nights won't consist of much after the buzz of starting off fades and no one has fires at night anymore. There are a few expensive items that are no joke and much after that is is subjective. Choice of headlamp won't make or brake youI also had a father trying to send off his daughter with a 1970 down bag he used in his 20s. It took two days to get hints understand why I wanted him to buy the$ 400 western mountaineering bag. When she hit the smokies it snowed to her hips and was 5 degrees. I will add with the hammock for winter use the best pad you can get and maybe the peepod for the hammock.

Googan
12-30-2015, 23:27
you might also have to think of your diet as well. I haven't been on the trail yet, but it seems pretty easy to pick up bad habits out of convenience.

NewHeart
12-31-2015, 05:49
you might also have to think of your diet as well. I haven't been on the trail yet, but it seems pretty easy to pick up bad habits out of convenience.I had been giving that some thought. I found a YouTube channel (Babelfish5) that speaks to dehydrating your own meals. He has some good recipes. I did see he is having health issues and his website is down and hasn't posted any videos since last August.

NewHeart
12-31-2015, 10:18
Neel gap is the store at the 30 mile mark. They only hire thru hikers as I said I worked a season there not rei( to clarify. Ok I like the hammock I have Hennessy hyper light. If you are bigger than 200 lb get a bigger one. I think they rule!
a shakedown is where the store will rip apart your pack and with some sage advice send most of it back if possible and then outfit you with what you need. People will over plan and over pack and by the 30th mile they are suffering pack weight issues. That's why I suggest waiting till then. With a little planning you can fly into Atlanta stay with hiker hostel and shuttle up to neel gap. Then you get dropped at the trail head maybe the next day. Probably cost 70 bucks to save 1000. They will help you big time. I took a 4 lb copy of war & peace out of a pack during a shake down. Now why not photo copy it and Mail drop it? That's the idea here. Hear that can serve two purposes or more and ounce counting. Think trail comfort. And camp comfort. Find a balance. Beyond a headlamp and a book your nights won't consist of much after the buzz of starting off fades and no one has fires at night anymore. There are a few expensive items that are no joke and much after that is is subjective. Choice of headlamp won't make or brake youI also had a father trying to send off his daughter with a 1970 down bag he used in his 20s. It took two days to get hints understand why I wanted him to buy the$ 400 western mountaineering bag. When she hit the smokies it snowed to her hips and was 5 degrees. I will add with the hammock for winter use the best pad you can get and maybe the peepod for the hammock.My plan is to take the train from Chicago to Gainsville. I am in the process of trimming the fat from my gear. I have been listening and learning a lot! That said, I am planning on making a UQ & TQ from 1.1 HyperD with 7.5 Climashield. I live on a fixed budget, so I am making most of what I am taking.

So far:
cook kit (pop can stove & w/o fuel) = 281 grams
head lamp(w/batteries) = 88 grams
Sawyer mini = 2 oz

My preliminary calculations for my sleep system with winter fly, bug net and both UQ & TQ will come in at about 5 lbs, once I get everything made.

I have not weighed out the meds or first aid kit, that I absolutely need to carry yet. I believe I will be able to keep my pack weight under 15 lbs without fuel, food and water. I realize that may be heavy for a lot of you, but because of the heart related issues it will be. I am training with a 40+ ruck sack now to prepare, and realize the UC and/or TQ won't be carried the entire journey. I think???

NewHeart
12-31-2015, 11:25
Wolfpaw: which Western bag did you recommend?

squeezebox
12-31-2015, 11:56
How often do you need to take your blood pressure? Is dehydration a bigger issue for you? I'm thinking blood volume. How often do you need blood tests? Most pharmacies carry small zip locks to carry meds in. You might sort your meds for individual times rather than take all those pill bottles. Do Please wear a med alert, carry medical history, med list, contact phone #'s, etc. so if we find you passed out we are a bit ahead of the game.
Be careful, be safe, enjoy!!

Wolfpaw
12-31-2015, 12:40
Wolfpaw: which Western bag did you recommend?
15 or 20 degree unless you sleep extremely cold. It will hit the rating and in my experience exceed it. check alpinlite to start. You can supplement with down clothing in a cold snap increasing the rating further. flight jacket is also by WM.

NewHeart
12-31-2015, 15:57
How often do you need to take your blood pressure? Is dehydration a bigger issue for you? I'm thinking blood volume. How often do you need blood tests? Most pharmacies carry small zip locks to carry meds in. You might sort your meds for individual times rather than take all those pill bottles. Do Please wear a med alert, carry medical history, med list, contact phone #'s, etc. so if we find you passed out we are a bit ahead of the game.
Be careful, be safe, enjoy!!That's one more thing I forgot about! I need to take it every morning. I'm getting one of the wrist monitor. Something else that I have to carry that others won't.

NewHeart
12-31-2015, 16:22
15 or 20 degree unless you sleep extremely cold. It will hit the rating and in my experience exceed it. check alpinlite to start. You can supplement with down clothing in a cold snap increasing the rating further. flight jacket is also by WM. Your opinion on the UQ & TP? And I Like to share my idea for carrying my meds. I tried using my food saver to make small rows of 5 pockets per day. It can't do it. The old style could. However, I figured out a way and it's cheaper too boot!

3M window insulation film! First, lay one sheet film out flat. Next, take the double faced tape and create a checker board pattern. I need 5 columns and however many rows I can get. Divide your pills by time of day you take them and place them on the checker board in on row and repeat until the desired rows are filled. Then, take a second of film and place it on top and seal it to the sheet below starting with the middle and work out to the edges. You now have the option the take a hair dryer and shrink it tight or not. Lastly, cut down the center of the rows (not the columns) and separate each day's pills into strips.

So, if you were going to be 10 days in between mail drops you would carry 10 strips. I my case I would carry 15 in case I got hung up on the trail and it took longer to get to the next drop point.

Wolfpaw
12-31-2015, 17:20
If you don't have a good trail book get one sooner than later. You will not be 10 days out ever I think the longest was 5 days thru smokies you might get snow and be six days. Trail changes from year to year so use the resupply guide to gauge days of food plus one xtra If you start at ammicolola doing the xtra 8.5 you should hit neel gap or walasiyi center on your 4th day worst case 5th. A day sooner if you start at the plaque on springer. A good resupply guide is Baltimore jacks it helped me plan and I saw a it was updated. For the med that should be good as long as plastic doesn't stick to pills. You should get a box that's priority and put extra mess pills batteries etc in it. This is the bounce box. You only pay to ship it priority and as long as you don't open it you can bounce it ahead by phone or by stopping in when you get to town. I don't have a rec on the top quilt as I don't own one but I would buy the lightest with proper fill jacks r better looks good so far. (That's what u meant by tq)

Wolfpaw
12-31-2015, 17:36
your making it. I would copy the design and use synthetic fill. I think the channel baffling is effective. There's a way to pinch them so the full doesn't drop from panel to panel. Down feathers will become ineffective in high humidity or wet weather. I'm guessing you'll use a Hennessy hammock.

kimbur96
12-31-2015, 17:50
I have read most of this thread but didn't see if you are hiking alone or with someone? I was just thinking about your medication issue. You will want to have list of your meds available and if hiking with someone make sure they know where said list is. (just thinking like the nurse that I am) If something should happen and you need medical attention a med list is one of the first things they will want, especially in your case. Also do you were a medic alert bracelet? As I said, I just can't help myself sometimes.

NewHeart
12-31-2015, 18:13
your making it. I would copy the design and use synthetic fill. I think the channel baffling is effective. There's a way to pinch them so the full doesn't drop from panel to panel. Down feathers will become ineffective in high humidity or wet weather. I'm guessing you'll use a Hennessy hammock. I'm making everything. Hammock, fly, bug net, under quilt and top quilt. For the quilts, I plan on using 1.0 oz HyperD and 7.5 Climashield APEX. Good to 10 degrees.

NewHeart
12-31-2015, 18:17
I have read most of this thread but didn't see if you are hiking alone or with someone? I was just thinking about your medication issue. You will want to have list of your meds available and if hiking with someone make sure they know where said list is. (just thinking like the nurse that I am) If something should happen and you need medical attention a med list is one of the first things they will want, especially in your case. Also do you were a medic alert bracelet? As I said, I just can't help myself sometimes. Bracelet and USB drive around my neck with all the latest and greatest info. I saw your reply to my other thread. Thanks for the food for thought.

kimbur96
12-31-2015, 18:19
Bracelet and USB drive around my neck with all the latest and greatest info. I saw your reply to my other thread. Thanks for the food for thought.
cool beans, I'm learning lots following your thread. Look forward to you you trip report after. :)

Wolfpaw
12-31-2015, 18:54
That's pretty sweet. I have zero skill in that department(sewing). It seems that the plans for everything are available online. Here is my basic gear list for winter. There are things I would remove or change but with this I won't forget a category. It is very similar to the old neel gap shakedown cards the staff uses. You Also will met many people as you rack up miles you may find it quite busy until Damascus. then it will thin out to clusters of hikers sparsly scattered until Maine then it's groups again. So you'll have help available while you acclimate yourself to the rigors of trail life.
Gear listCore
Pack less than 3 lb
Sleeping bag (3lb max summer less)
Pad (1lb max winter only summer 8 0z max)
Shelter (3lbs max summer could be 2 or less)

Clothing
Shoes
Socks
Crocs
Cap 1 top base long sleeve
Cap 1 bottom base long pant
Poly pro underwear
Capilene 2 top mid long sleeve
Capilene 2 bottom mid long pant
Pants wicking
T shirt (no cotton)
Micro fleece mid layer
Rain jkt
Rain pant (don't work but good for winter wind)
Down jkt
Down vest (for summer if $ allows)
Down pants
Gloves
Sunglasses
Hat
Neck gaiter
Running style shorts

Cooking
Stove
Pot
Spork
Lighter

Hydration
Filter/chems
Platypus
1 liter Aquafina bottle

Tool
Small 3" knife
Headlamp
Light saber
Tyveck

First aid
Band aids
Ace
NEOSPORIN non medicated
Personal stuff pills inhaler etc

Guidebook
Batteries
Stuff sacks
Pack cover
Emergency meal (1 extra day of food)
Space blanket
Tp
Wet ones
Fuel
Smart phone

LAZ
12-31-2015, 18:56
If you are interested in a bluetooth keyboard, here's a link to a keyboard I am using and like a lot that weighs a little more than 6 ounces.
Anker HB005 Built-in Lithium Battery Aluminum Keyboard for iOS, Windows and Android 3.0 and Above https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00BKW2410/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_awd_bVAHwbXW57Q4H
Right now it's on sale for $20, which probably means they are about to come out with a new one. It's the lightest keyboard I've found with full-sized keys. I don't know if the soft keyboards are still around, but for one of them, you'd have to bring something stiff and flat to lean on.It has all the command, number, and function keys, and all in the right places for a touch typist,in case that matters. The smaller keyboards have keys that are small or squashed together. Nice responsive and slightly clicky keys.
I bought it about 2 months ago, charged it once, and have used it a lot without having to charge it again, often forgetting to turn it off for long periods.
I do resent that there is no way to connect a USB keyboard to the iPhones, because *that* is what drains power on the phone - having bluetooth activ, so be careful to disable bluetooth when not in use, but the keyboard itself practically runs on air.
I guess it's heavy by UL standards. I write a lot and cannot handwrite, so for me, not to take it would be what they call "stupid light," meaning saving weight by compromising the quality of my experience. If I had a lot of $$ I guess one could replace the back of the keyboard with a titanium shee..

NewHeart
01-01-2016, 11:13
If you are interested in a bluetooth keyboard, here's a link to a keyboard I am using and like a lot that weighs a little more than 6 ounces.
Anker HB005 Built-in Lithium Battery Aluminum Keyboard for iOS, Windows and Android 3.0 and Above https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00BKW2410/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_awd_bVAHwbXW57Q4H
Right now it's on sale for $20, which probably means they are about to come out with a new one. It's the lightest keyboard I've found with full-sized keys. I don't know if the soft keyboards are still around, but for one of them, you'd have to bring something stiff and flat to lean on.It has all the command, number, and function keys, and all in the right places for a touch typist,in case that matters. The smaller keyboards have keys that are small or squashed together. Nice responsive and slightly clicky keys.
I bought it about 2 months ago, charged it once, and have used it a lot without having to charge it again, often forgetting to turn it off for long periods.
I do resent that there is no way to connect a USB keyboard to the iPhones, because *that* is what drains power on the phone - having bluetooth activ, so be careful to disable bluetooth when not in use, but the keyboard itself practically runs on air.
I guess it's heavy by UL standards. I write a lot and cannot handwrite, so for me, not to take it would be what they call "stupid light," meaning saving weight by compromising the quality of my experience. If I had a lot of $$ I guess one could replace the back of the keyboard with a titanium shee..Hmmm it is lighter then the Zagg. However, the Zagg takes up less space and when folded the keys are protected. It then boils down to price, weight vs size? got to think on that

NewHeart
01-01-2016, 12:09
That's pretty sweet. I have zero skill in that department(sewing). It seems that the plans for everything are available online. Here is my basic gear list for winter. There are things I would remove or change but with this I won't forget a category. It is very similar to the old neel gap shakedown cards the staff uses. You Also will met many people as you rack up miles you may find it quite busy until Damascus. then it will thin out to clusters of hikers sparsly scattered until Maine then it's groups again. So you'll have help available while you acclimate yourself to the rigors of trail life.
Let's see! as far as the sewing goes, I got a wife that sews and will teach me to use the sewing machine. I'm pretty sure she'll step in when I start messing up. You got a pretty complete one, there are a couple things on your list that might be an issue.

I will be using a hammock instead of shelter (tent), just can't sleep on the ground anymore.

Sleeping bag - I have a TQ & UQ, since they are not made yet not sure on the weight. I'm planning on the two coming in at about 38 oz and for the summer I have a fleece liner.

not bringing a pad

Pack, i know everyone is raving about the ULA, but I'm one of those people that like to touch and feel what I am going to buy. Especially spending a few hundred dollars. I can't find a dealer around here to check them out. My plan is to buy the pack last, so I see what the base contents weigh.

Running shoes - I looked at the Moab Ventilaters that have been touted here as well. Didn't like them. I am most definitely mot going to be running. I like a more solid sole. I spent my working career on my feet, so I know the importance of good footware. I am looking at the Solomon boot.

First Aid - mine will be a bit more then band aids and neosporin. This is a non started as per my doctors. I will be carrying a military first responder drop leg kit. It will have every thing for proper wound care. Because of my high risk of infection this is necessary. As I said a non starter per the doctors.

Most every thing I got covered. I had to go out this last year and replace all my clothing. Opted for Columbia with Omni-Shade tops and convertible pants. Not sure on the running shorts because of the lack of sun protection.

Wolfpaw
01-01-2016, 12:33
Looks like u got it covered. I only disagree about the pad. It's in the core because it's part of the sleeping bag like insoles to shoes. When you lay on your bag all of the insulation gets crushed and has almost zero r value beneath you. Even in the summer when the uq is gone. The insulation traps the warm air in the gaps radiated from a warm body. I think you will regret the pad omition. That's why quilts are popular no back just nylon and pad. No doubt you will test your gear before you go. A shoe recommendation is the saloman xa pro. It has a Kevlar lace system that after you kill you can thread a shoelace through and make the shoe in my opinion superior. Boots have a high center of gravity and I'm prone to roll ankle. I have been wearing sundowners by vasque for years but not for hiking just life. Another pack choice is mountain hardware. Find a frameless pack also look at Golite. (Just don't buy their shoes) the way I would run the pack is with a pad folded up for some support or blow a little air into it and it will keep stuff from poking you in the back and give a little ridgity to the frame less pack.

NewHeart
01-01-2016, 12:49
I want to thank you for all the good advice! It is still a work in progress, but I know I'll get there.

Deacon
01-01-2016, 13:50
The wireless keyboard mentioned above would be a good choice without any cable connection. Especially since the latest scuttlebutt on the iPhone 7 is that Apple plans to eliminate the headphone jack so as to make the phone completely waterproof. No ports at all so every device would need Bluetooth.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

NewHeart
01-01-2016, 16:33
The wireless keyboard mentioned above would be a good choice without any cable connection. Especially since the latest scuttlebutt on the iPhone 7 is that Apple plans to eliminate the headphone jack so as to make the phone completely waterproof. No ports at all so every device would need Bluetooth.

Sent from my iPad using TapatalkThere are 2 reasons why I like the Zagg over the Anker. 1) the way it folds to a small pack size and protects the keys. 2) the Zagg provides a fold up stand to hold your device.

LAZ
01-02-2016, 15:56
I hadn't known about the Zag when I purchased the Anchor keybord. Really comparable when it comes to weight. I was going to say that I was happy with the durability of my Anchor, as I'm hard on my electronics which I take everywhere and have to wip out and stash in all sorts of situations. The back which I assume to bee aluminum is very stiff, and hasn't gotten dented or bent in any way but as I was prodding the keys to see if they were likely to pop out if rubbed, I realized I am already missing one key cap - I guess I rarely type a 0, so hadn't noticed. The rest of the mechanism for that key is still firmly in place and functional and seems more secure than I've experienced with other keyboards, where the little soft rubbery piece that actually does the typing doesn't stay put once the cap is removed. Whichmakes the case for it being less durable.Time to make it some kind of case - maybe some stiff plastic to cover the key area, with a tivek backing? Which is less convenient than if it just folded to protect itself, but I still love the keyboard as is. I guess it's time to confirm my prior experience with Anchor support - hoping they will just send me a replacement cap.
I'd love to get hands on with a zag to seewhat the typing is like.It sounds like a keyboard I had that is no longer working - the Think Outside Stowaway bluetooth. It had an ingenious folding system and was nice to type on but the typing was not as nice as the Anchor and the down side of the folding is that it sometimes stuck and wouldn't open or close.Anyway, if you have anything else to share about your experience with the Zag, I'd love to hear about it. It does sound sweet.

NewHeart
01-02-2016, 19:43
Just starting my DIY hammock:banana

Sandy of PA
01-02-2016, 20:50
Another reason to carry a sleeping pad is the requirement to stay in shelters in the Smokys. Hammocks are not permitted to be used within a shelter, and you can't just go hang elsewhere unless the shelter is full and you are carrying a thru-hiker permit.

NewHeart
01-02-2016, 23:18
Another reason to carry a sleeping pad is the requirement to stay in shelters in the Smokys. Hammocks are not permitted to be used within a shelter, and you can't just go hang elsewhere unless the shelter is full and you are carrying a thru-hiker permit. Good to know! I will be carrying the thru hiker pass, but wasn't planning on a pad. An REI had their garage sale today. I went looking to see what they had in packs. They opened at 8:00. I got there @ 5 after. A guy had laid claim to just about every one that was there. I passed on a very sad and abused Therm-a-Rest.

NewHeart
01-04-2016, 12:43
As promised some pics of the first project. Got off to a rocky start. Can you tell which is the first side roll I did?

33183 33182

I don't think I did that bad for the first time in front of a sewing machine! Will post a pic of the final product when it's done.

NewHeart
01-05-2016, 09:42
I hadn't known about the Zag when I purchased the Anchor keybord. Really comparable when it comes to weight. I was going to say that I was happy with the durability of my Anchor, as I'm hard on my electronics which I take everywhere and have to wip out and stash in all sorts of situations. The back which I assume to bee aluminum is very stiff, and hasn't gotten dented or bent in any way but as I was prodding the keys to see if they were likely to pop out if rubbed, I realized I am already missing one key cap - I guess I rarely type a 0, so hadn't noticed. The rest of the mechanism for that key is still firmly in place and functional and seems more secure than I've experienced with other keyboards, where the little soft rubbery piece that actually does the typing doesn't stay put once the cap is removed. Whichmakes the case for it being less durable.Time to make it some kind of case - maybe some stiff plastic to cover the key area, with a tivek backing? Which is less convenient than if it just folded to protect itself, but I still love the keyboard as is. I guess it's time to confirm my prior experience with Anchor support - hoping they will just send me a replacement cap.
I'd love to get hands on with a zag to seewhat the typing is like.It sounds like a keyboard I had that is no longer working - the Think Outside Stowaway bluetooth. It had an ingenious folding system and was nice to type on but the typing was not as nice as the Anchor and the down side of the folding is that it sometimes stuck and wouldn't open or close.Anyway, if you have anything else to share about your experience with the Zag, I'd love to hear about it. It does sound sweet.

I was sitting here re-reading this thread, I realized that there is another option to the keyboard quandary, there is the laser keyboard. I'm not sure how it works. I read about it in a tech mag. it reportedly projects a laser image of a keyboard onto a flat surface and you touch the images of the keys. Not sure if it is blue tooth or USB though.

NewHeart
01-05-2016, 10:12
Well here are the pics of the finished product! :banana

LAZ
01-06-2016, 20:22
I was sitting here re-reading this thread, I realized that there is another option to the keyboard quandary, there is the laser keyboard. I'm not sure how it works. I read about it in a tech mag. it reportedly projects a laser image of a keyboard onto a flat surface and you touch the images of the keys. Not sure if it is blue tooth or USB though.
I want keys I can feel, but you raised my curiosity. Take a look on Amazon and you'll see an array of these laser keyboardsThey are more expensive than the Anker keyboard and it's not clear if they save weight - I've seen "shipping weight: 5.6oz." Which might mean including packaging, but no mention of the weight of the unit. Which is bluetooth. And it sounds like people are not getting a primo typing experience.

And you'd need a good surface to project it onto. There is a lot of comic potential in this - a hiker in search of the perfect flat surface - you might have to make up for the weight savings by carrying a saw, sander, chisel, or some other flattening implement.