PDA

View Full Version : Christmas Jerky

Scrum
12-22-2015, 14:42
After reading some threads on WB about making your own jerky, I started doing it with one of my daughters. It is so good that it rarely lasts long enough to make it into the backpack. So for Christmas gifts for the family this year, we are making up a big batch.

Santa loves this stuff!

Here is the recipe we used today (it varies a bit depending on what is in the pantry):

1 cup Worcestershire sauce

1.5 cups of teriyaki sauce

2 tea spoons liquid smoke

2/3 cup soy sauce

2 teaspoons onion powder

1 teaspoon garlic powder

1/3 teaspoon cayenne pepper

3 teaspoons ground black pepper

2.75 tablespoons salt

1/2 tablespoon red pepper flakes

3 tablespoons brown sugar

2 tablespoons honey

1 tablespoon maple syrup

4 to 5 lbs of top round

Cut the meet into 1/4 (or thinner) strips

Mix the other ingredients in a bowl, put the meet in, and some for 12 to 24 hours in the refrigerator.

Put the meet wooden skewers, and hang them from an oven rack at the highest slot in the oven (cover another rack with tinfoil and put at the bottom level (to catch the drippings).

Set the temperature to the lowest possible temperature (170 or lower), and let it go for 5 to 6 hours.

After cooling, store in a ziplock bag in the refrigerator.

squeezebox
12-22-2015, 15:52
Has anyone done pork jerky?

Hosh
12-22-2015, 19:33
That looks pretty good, I been doing an Alton Brown recipe. It's kinda boring.

BTW, you don't want go below 160 deg when doing meats.

Haven't done pork, but would like to find a Thai Chili recipe.

Costco's London Broil meat also makes a good jerky.

RavensFan
01-01-2016, 12:39
How long does homemade jerky last if you store in the fridge?

Hikes in Rain
01-01-2016, 16:14
Not very long. Someone eats it all up in a few days. If the fridge is locked, though, and the key thrown away, it should be good for months, perhaps as long as a year.

RavensFan
01-02-2016, 11:40
Not very long. Someone eats it all up in a few days. If the fridge is locked, though, and the key thrown away, it should be good for months, perhaps as long as a year.

Haha - very true! Thanks

Scrum
01-02-2016, 11:55

Hike in Rain is right - mine has always been eaten within a few days of making it. I assume it will last 3 weeks or so.

FlyFishNut
01-02-2016, 20:11
What cut of meat do you like best??

Scrum
01-04-2016, 00:12
What cut of meat do you like best??

Top round always works well.

Hikes in Rain
01-04-2016, 07:16
Trimmed flank steak cut across the grain is another good option. Any lean none-marbled cut works pretty well.