PDA

View Full Version : study finds best slope for climing mountains

CoconutTree
12-22-2015, 22:27
“For either running or walking, slopes between 20 and 35 degrees require nearly the same amount of energy to climb the hill at the same vertical velocity,”

http://www.colorado.edu/news/releases/2015/12/15/cu-boulder-researchers-discover-optimal-range-slopes-extreme-uphill-running

They also built a treadmill that goes upto 45 degrees for the study, i want to try that out.

MuddyWaters
12-24-2015, 10:30
Treadmill based study for vertical racing
When ascending steep trails the sand and gravel underfoot slips making your effort innefficient

For hiking, studies in past showed the maximum grade to be 8% I recall, for most people to walk comfortably and sustained . Which is why trails today get switchbacked with miles of switchbacks . I think the army gathered data on this at some point. Someone that builds trails today can comment better. 8% sounds high to me actually.

Not to be confused with simply the fastest way to the top. Because when you have to rest when you get there, you lost everything you gained by ascending faster.

colorado_rob
12-24-2015, 11:54
This study is aimed at 1K vertical races MW, nothing to do with trails. 20-35 degrees is ridiculously steep, not many trails even approach that (except, of course, the AT in the white mountains!!!!). Extremely steep ski runs, for example, are around 30 degrees. One notable Colorado "trail" that is in this steepness range is the Pikes Peak Incline, 2000 vertical feet in less than a mile, which would be at the low end of this at 20 degrees, basically 2000 vertical feet of old and newer railroad tie steps. Great little after-work workout. record is 17 minutes.... takes my wife and I nearly three times that (~45 minutes)! Ouch. anyway, the pics on this site give an idea of what a mere 20 degrees looks like:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Manitou_Incline

Anyway, interesting article.

Puddlefish
12-24-2015, 12:13
Treadmill based study for vertical racing
When ascending steep trails the sand and gravel underfoot slips making your effort innefficient

For hiking, studies in past showed the maximum grade to be 8% I recall, for most people to walk comfortably and sustained . Which is why trails today get switchbacked with miles of switchbacks . I think the army gathered data on this at some point. Someone that builds trails today can comment better. 8% sounds high to me actually.

Not to be confused with simply the fastest way to the top. Because when you have to rest when you get there, you lost everything you gained by ascending faster.

Switchbacks prevent erosion as well.

rocketsocks
12-24-2015, 14:30
“For either running or walking, slopes between 20 and 35 degrees require nearly the same amount of energy to climb the hill at the same vertical velocity,”

http://www.colorado.edu/news/releases/2015/12/15/cu-boulder-researchers-discover-optimal-range-slopes-extreme-uphill-running

They also built a treadmill that goes upto 45 degrees for the study, i want to try that out.does it have switchbacks?

Dogwood
12-24-2015, 21:58
Interesting study Coconut Tree. The study was oriented towards VK races with energy expenditure and time prominently factory into it. Most often, as far as I know, VK Races are not held on maintained hiking trails. As Colorado Rob stated, maintained trails, especially modern designed and constructed ones, don't typically assume 20-35* grades especially maintained over a longer distance. Where I see the data applying in a pure no race/speed hiking event is in off trail longer distance hiking in the mountains, traverses for example, where the hiker is considering energy expenditures in regard to whether they should be walking or doing some running while also factoring in slope angles into the energy expenditure equation. Obviously, time to do the vertical distance also factors into the study.

From what I could tell all the study data was accumulated primarily on firm surfaces. I wonder if energy expenditure would be different for runners verse walkers both ascending at the same vertical velocity on slippery underfoot(ice, scree, talus, etc) 20-35* slope ranges?

Traveler
12-25-2015, 09:11
does it have switchbacks?

Yes. You turn around and walk downhill working against the momentum. Great for the knees.

Sailing_Faith
12-26-2015, 13:22
Reading this thread makes my knees hurt!