PDA

View Full Version : NANO vs MICRO vs TITANIUM spikes Need advice

Mtsman
12-22-2015, 23:29
WB,

I am new at winter hiking. I have come to know that I probably need MICRO or NANO or Titanium spikes at some point or another. I am looking at three different types right now but I am completely open to suggestions (and completely ignorant on the subject as a whole):

http://www.amazon.com/Kahtoola-nanospikes-S-NANOspikes-Footwear-Traction/dp/B00NEWYEIU/ref=sr_1_1?s=sporting-goods&ie=UTF8&qid=1450826753&sr=1-1&keywords=ultralight+micro+spikes

http://www.amazon.com/Kahtoola-MICROspikes-Footwear-Traction-Black/dp/B00E3KNG9A/ref=sr_1_2?s=sporting-goods&ie=UTF8&qid=1450840838&sr=1-2&keywords=microspikes

http://www.amazon.com/Vargo-T-450-Titanium-Pocket-Cleats/dp/B0178DGPN2

Of course I would like to go as light as possible but sometimes that sacrifices too much functionality and becomes useless in the field (IMHO). My main thought is for the AT NOBO in February weather (Yes, I know the perils of how foolish I am for starting at that time frame, lets forgo that part of the discussion and just chalk me up to being too stupid to understand how ignorant I am)

Opinions on the subject? Other options in this area? Do I even need them?

Thanks for the wisdom.

Learn Free or Die
12-23-2015, 18:21
I'm heading out NOBO on January 1st and I'm using the Microspikes (2015 red version - no sure what the difference is). This was on recommendation from a mountaineering friend as well as the ubiquity of reviews on their performance when traction becomes an issue (anything icy and up to a few inches of snow). From my testing so far, the microspikes are really durable, easy to put on. Strengthen those ankles because they won't move on the ground while your body will above you. When now becomes too much, snowshoes are going to be a reality for us in the Winter - you'll get it in GA, I'll get it somewhere in NC/TN.

CarlZ993
12-23-2015, 18:50
Nano spikes are more for runners on icy roads. I have no experience w/ the Titanium spikes. Essentially, they appear to be expanded in-step crampons. I see no traction devices under the heel. There could be some slippage here.

I own & have used MicroSpikes on several occasions. They work great. Easy on. Easy off. Great traction on the trail. I opted to not take them on my AT thru hike in 2013 (Mar 21st start). I kicked myself in the butt (& feel quite often) for not taking them.

MuddyWaters
12-23-2015, 19:09
I'm heading out NOBO on January 1st and I'm using the Microspikes (2015 red version - no sure what the difference is).

I believe the difference is the new ones are lighter by 10% which is a good thing.
I asked Santa for some new ones, as long as shes paying.
Only 1.X oz, but what the heck. Free to me.
Not out of line with other things I have to spend on $/oz to cut wt.

Scrum
12-23-2015, 19:11
Microspikes or Hillsound Trail Crampon. Can't go wrong with either.

Mtsman
12-23-2015, 20:46
Thanks guys,

I am looking at the Microspikes pretty heavily now. Hillsound had some great reviews on amazon as well (that is where I have my gift card and plan to shop at because of that) but I saw a few pictures of broken ones and that kind of turned me off of them over the Microspikes. The major hurdle now is, the Microspikes are sold out in my size so I am going to wait until after the holidays and see if I can get them then.

Sarcasm the elf
12-23-2015, 21:29
Microspikes are amazing, they changed the way I hike in the winter, you won't be disappointed.

Hummy585
12-23-2015, 21:44
I've been on Micro Spikes for a few years. Very stable and sure, I highly recommend...

Traveler
12-24-2015, 06:52
I will throw my vote to Micro spikes, either the Katoola or Hillsound brands. The other two look better suited for light shoes as opposed to mixed use on trails that heavier footwear may be preferable to use, which the microspikes are designed for. This is not to say you can't use microspikes with trail runners, but in my experience they move around a lot on them and are rather uncomfortable over many miles.

Starchild
12-24-2015, 09:33
Microspikes are one of those heavy items thru hikers like to find a reason to send back, so mostly they are useless, you carry them till you decide they are too heavy and send it back then you need them - worst of both worlds. For this reason I might consider bouncing them till needed or carry much lighter and less durable yacktracks (which has a horrible reputation for breaking), but the traction device you have when you need them is sometimes better then the traction device you need but sent home to save weight.

You can buy screw in cleats that will go into the soul of the hiking boots (maybe a tube of adhesive), much lighter. Someone commented that they worked well and much lighter.

MuddyWaters
12-24-2015, 09:42
Microspikes are one of those heavy items thru hikers like to find a reason to send back, so mostly they are useless, you carry them till you decide they are too heavy and send it back then you need them - worst of both worlds. For this reason I might consider bouncing them till needed or carry much lighter and less durable yacktracks (which has a horrible reputation for breaking), but the traction device you have when you need them is sometimes better then the traction device you need but sent home to save weight.

Depends on when they start, and what conditions they power thru vs sitting in town. Ice glazed rocks are truly treacherous. Not needed in April, but if start in Jan or Feb when ice can hang around for days, you will find a few times to use them most likely.

people have done without of course, and you can make your own traction aids by wrapping your shoes with rope. Its easier to slip on spikes

Marta
12-24-2015, 10:06
Another vote for Microspikes. I bought mine when I still lived in NC and they changed my winter hiking life. They are perfect for walking on sheet ice and snow-covered sheet ice, which is the normal trail winter trail surface in NC and TN. Sure, you can pick your way around the ice, but with Microspikes you can walk right down the trail without a care. I hiked in them all day without problems to me, or causing undue wear on them.

Fast forward a few years and I'm still using the same pair of Microspikes in my fourth winter in NW Montana. They're excellent shoulder-season traction devices, and useful for places like parking lots and iced-over walkways. When we get into the spring melt-refreeze cycle, I slip them on just to walk from the house to the garage.

The points are getting a bit dull. They're soft steel so my husband is probably just going to file them back into pointiness.

Can you tell I'm a fan?

colorado_rob
12-24-2015, 12:26
Yet another vote on the microspikes. Fantastic little devices, I seem to recollect only a pound total weight? Awful handy. And seemingly durable: We tend to get lazy and not remove them when we have a patch of bare ground to cross (in between snow/ice fields and patches), so we are tough on these things. Though I'm gradually wearing down (rounding off) the originally sharp little teeth, the overall microspike integrity seems to be holding up after 4-5 years or so of relatively heavy use.

Tipi Walter
12-24-2015, 13:20
Microspikes are amazing, they changed the way I hike in the winter, you won't be disappointed.

True enough. They are a winter no-brainer for backpackers in the snowy mountains of Georgia, TN, NC and Virginia. But they have one big flaw: When hiking in deep wet snow, they clump up terribly and you end up with a 5 lb ball of wet snow under each boot. It happened to be last January during a trip. This will throw you off the trail quicker than you can say Monica Bellucci. Solution? Remove the *&^$^ things and just stay in your boots.

Microspikes are one of those heavy items thru hikers like to find a reason to send back, so mostly they are useless, you carry them till you decide they are too heavy and send it back then you need them - worst of both worlds.

"Mostly they are useless" only makes sense to a Thruhiker type, but then they are known to bail into a town the first sign of deep snow or severe cold or tough conditions. And bless their hearts but they can't allow themselves to carry more than 5 days of food at a time so packing microspikes might actually cause a deep depression and throw their whole winter hike into disarray.

Keep the spikes, kids. You will need them if you backpack these next 3 months. Here are my spikes in action from last winter---

https://tipiwalter.smugmug.com/Backpack-2015-Trips-161/Trip-163-in-March/i-jMc5Z7t/0/O/TRIP%20163%20016.jpg

Cotton Terry
12-26-2015, 23:39
I plan on using micro spikes and bouncing them forward with my winter gear.

RangerZ
01-24-2016, 20:49
Another vote for microspikes. Got a pair for Christmas and first used them yesterday clearing the snow and then on a 4 mile stroll today. Pittsburgh's 6" of light snow wasn't much of a challenge for them but I could feel them bite in on some of the hills and on an icy patch near a seep. The cross country skiers and fat tired mountain bikers (the tires are fat not the riders though they may be tired) groomed the main trails but some of the lesser trails weren't broken yet. I'm sure they'll be appreciated when the thaw/freeze cycles hit.