PDA

View Full Version : Bear Mountain Zoo bypass trail

Arden
12-23-2015, 12:10
Hi;
Last month, I was returning from a multi-day trek in Harriman Park after dark, and found myself on the AT at the Bear Mountain bridge toll plaza. I needed to get through the zoo, but as I was about to enter, the zookeeper came out in his truck and told me that the zoo was closed, and therefore I needed to take the blue-blazed bypass trail around the zoo.
I thought about just crossing route 9W near the traffic circle, but there was too much traffic to cross safely, so I decided to try the bypass trail. I had no trouble following the trail at first, but farther south, I lost my way. I continued to follow what I thought should be the trail, keeping myself parallel with route 9W. Eventually, I found myself at a building with a fence preventing me from entering the walkway to the tunnel under the highway. I needed to climb over the rock wall - not a problem, but I thought there must be another way around.

Does anyone know this trail, and where it meets the walkway which runs past the pool bath house, and through the tunnel?
If I had disregarded the official's warning and entered the zoo (the gate at the toll plaza was not closed), would I have been able to exit at the entrance to the zoo, or would I have found myself at a locked gate?

Thanks

Arden

virginia jen
12-24-2015, 11:11
When I hiked that stretch last year going south, it was really confusing &I last the trail awhile after crossing the bridge & Hudson. Wandered around the park, looking for trail & getting overwhelmed by all the people. I never did find the stretch that went through the zoo. But I did find an icecream vending machine, so that was okay. I was happy enough just too GTFO of that area & all the people. Though NY further south was crazy hot & dry, more icecream vending machines would have been nice.

somers515
12-24-2015, 12:51
I've used the bypass trail a couple of times and had no problems following it. The bypass trail is the official trail when the zoo is closed (although obviously it's more interesting to go through the zoo). I would never even contemplate ignoring a direct instruction like you received.

As you described coming SOBO the bypass trail splits right after you cross the road after coming across Bear Mountain bridge. If you were coming NOBO the bypass trail splits to the left immediately after going through the tunnel under 9W. There is very clear signage when you are going NOBO. The split when coming NOBO is immediately before the pool bath house.

Hope that helps you next time you are in the area.

Starchild
12-24-2015, 12:58
You have to cross the the highway either way near the toll plaza at the crosswalk - yes hard to cross at times, you may have taken took a different trail alltogether. The bypass trail runs between the zoo and the traffic circle. Harder to find going SoBo, easy and obvious going NoBo .

The trail joins in right at the tunnel (AT North, Hudson River side)

And yes the gate would have been locked, and harder to climb over. I got stuck inside it one time.

Arden
12-24-2015, 23:51
I had no trouble finding the trail after I crossed US 6/202 at the toll plaza. The trail turns left at the end of the fence, then pretty much follows US 9W heading south. But before I got to the point where the trail hits the pathway leading through the tunnel, I lost the trail - or at least its blazes. When I got to the bath house, I tried to find an opening in the fence or wall to walk through, but I didn't see any, so I climbed the wall - only about 4 ft high. I started north on that path, believing it was the one leading to the tunnel, but I found a locked gate. Then I realized I needed to backtrack to the split and make a U turn onto the path to the tunnel.
I thought perhaps the trail would have taken me to that locked gate, but what good would it be as an after-hours bypass for the zoo if the gate is locked.
I think the best option would have been to hike south on the northbound shoulder of 9W until I saw a chance to get across the highway and into the park.
According to the NY/NJ TC map of Harriman/Bear Mountain park, the bypass trail runs along route 9W until it reaches the tunnel, where it joins the main trail. I don't think I was far off the trail - if at all. Just couldn't find the clear path to the tunnel at the end.

Starchild
12-25-2015, 09:09
I had no trouble finding the trail after I crossed US 6/202 at the toll plaza. The trail turns left at the end of the fence, then pretty much follows US 9W heading south. But before I got to the point where the trail hits the pathway leading through the tunnel, I lost the trail - or at least its blazes. When I got to the bath house, I tried to find an opening in the fence or wall to walk through, but I didn't see any, so I climbed the wall - only about 4 ft high. I started north on that path, believing it was the one leading to the tunnel, but I found a locked gate. Then I realized I needed to backtrack to the split and make a U turn onto the path to the tunnel.
I thought perhaps the trail would have taken me to that locked gate, but what good would it be as an after-hours bypass for the zoo if the gate is locked.
I think the best option would have been to hike south on the northbound shoulder of 9W until I saw a chance to get across the highway and into the park.
According to the NY/NJ TC map of Harriman/Bear Mountain park, the bypass trail runs along route 9W until it reaches the tunnel, where it joins the main trail. I don't think I was far off the trail - if at all. Just couldn't find the clear path to the tunnel at the end.
From your description I don't know how one could have missed it's one of those trails where they is no option (that I'm aware of - will have to see next time) to get off it, so I have to assume you fell through a rabbit hole or a random worm hole opened up out of the quantum foam.

Arden
01-25-2016, 19:48
It was dark, but even with my headlamp, I lost the trail blazes somewhere along the way. It's OK though. Next time I come SOBO, it will be from Katahdin, and I won't try to get through the Bear Mountain NY area after dark. I would sleep at the Friary, or Hemlock Springs.
I have to agree with virginia jen on the crowds at BM. It's a zoo of its own - no need to go to the actual zoo! When I hiked NOBO through the park, and arrived at Bear Mountain peak, it was almost overwhelming. Then, coming down from the summit to the Inn, it was unbelievable! I had never seen so many people on the trail at once. It was a warm November weekend, so they were out in droves. I was actually happy to leave the park and head across the bridge.
BTW, I was looking for water on Bear, followed a blue-blazed trail a few hundred yards, but turned back, thinking that there wouldn't be any water up there anyway. But later, reading the A.T. Data Book, it does indicate water on Bear. Unless they are referring to the seasonal fountains and vending machines, it must be that trail. I should have kept following it.

High Mileage
02-29-2016, 22:59
I was trying to figure this out on my Thru in the dark and a cop came to inspect the situation.
I ended up showing him what was going on and he got it but the situation appeared new to him. I don't remember exactly what I did at that point but I made it work, good times on the A.T.

squeezebox
03-01-2016, 12:05
so what are the open hours for the zoo?