PDA

View Full Version : Black Diamond vs Komperdell Trekking Poles vs ?

Vegan Packer
12-23-2015, 15:46
Last summer I bought a set of Black Diamond Distance Carbon FLZ trekking poles. In all but one respect they have been solid performers. They are light, they are strong, they adjust easily (so that I can use them for my tent and for walking), and the locking mechanism works great. The poles, with the rubber tips added, come to 13.4 ounces on my digital scale. The one thing that I hate about them is the strap material.

I understand that BD was trying to go with the lightest material possible, however, the material is course, and the edges of it dig into my skin. I've looked for replacement straps online, but I can't find anything. One thought would be for me to find some soft material, and to just stitch something together to cover the straps. A second route would be for me to chance cutting off the straps, other than the attachment string, and then to try to craft something, maybe out of neoprene, though I am no expert in crafting and stitching. Maybe somebody out there knows of a an existing set of straps that will fit.

Since I got the poles from REI, another way for me to go would be to return them, and then to make a switch. As it turns out, while I was putting together my recent backpack and tent order from ZPacks, I noticed a set of Komperdell Ultralite Vario 4 trekking poles. They are basically the same weight as the Black Diamonds. A few reviews I have seen mention that they have a comfortable strap, but I haven't yet tried them.

I also see some Lekis, such as the Carbonlite Aergon XL model, on REI that are in the same weight range, but it is hard to judge what the straps would be like. They pretty much look the same as the BD straps.

I am open to other ideas, but I want to keep things light, say 15 ounces or less. Any suggestions?

Gambit McCrae
12-23-2015, 15:56
I have had a set of Vario 4 ultralight carbons from Komperdell for about 1000 miles. They are light, but even when they are full locked and such, they still have a whobble feeling, I think it is from the innards moving around

Dogwood
12-23-2015, 20:20
Yeah, I have a suggestion. Change the strap material on the poles you already have. This is a first for me. I've never seen someone choose a set of trekking poles based on stock strap material comfort. Simple enough to change straps to different straps, maybe even made by the same company that you like, or some material of your own choosing, umm perhaps UL webbing with a piece of velcro altering it in a DIY customized fashion.

Odd Man Out
12-23-2015, 23:44
I have BD Alpine Ergo Cork poles. They are not UL but have very nice straps. Could you swap yous for these?

Vegan Packer
12-24-2015, 00:59
I have BD Alpine Ergo Cork poles. They are not UL but have very nice straps. Could you swap yous for these?

I am going to call them to see if they will sell me a set, and then I'll try to fabricate something from those, I suppose. Some of their straps pass through the handle, and some are attached by a string. Their web site doesn't show pictures of which is which. I found a parts catalog online, and that lists some part numbers, but it doesn't have pictures. I scanned the internet for photos, but I can't find anything that is a clear indicator.

Does your type pass through the handle, or do your straps attach by a string? The padded style straps are exactly what I had in mind.

Thanks.

Traveler
12-24-2015, 06:31
In a related issue, my BD poles (several seasons old) have the padded straps that are wearing out. Since this is probably what the OP is looking for, I have been trying to find replacement straps but the sites I can find that actually list them typically show them as out of stock. Does anyone know a decent source of replacement straps?

Odd Man Out
12-24-2015, 14:52
I am going to call them to see if they will sell me a set, and then I'll try to fabricate something from those, I suppose. Some of their straps pass through the handle, and some are attached by a string. Their web site doesn't show pictures of which is which. I found a parts catalog online, and that lists some part numbers, but it doesn't have pictures. I scanned the internet for photos, but I can't find anything that is a clear indicator.

Does your type pass through the handle, or do your straps attach by a string? The padded style straps are exactly what I had in mind.

Thanks.
They loop through the handle.

Odd Man Out
12-24-2015, 14:55
They loop through the handle.

BTW, these straps are chiral which is a fancy way of saying that the left and right handed ones are different. It would be better to get one of each if you can.

Brup Bup
01-13-2016, 02:52
If you're willing to go a few ounces heavier the BD trail poles are unstoppable. 1800 miles on the pct, 5 summers backpacking in Alaska and endless ski tours haven't slowed mine down. Still have the original tips and snow baskets too :)

Vegan Packer
01-14-2016, 01:04
In a related issue, my BD poles (several seasons old) have the padded straps that are wearing out. Since this is probably what the OP is looking for, I have been trying to find replacement straps but the sites I can find that actually list them typically show them as out of stock. Does anyone know a decent source of replacement straps?

Call Black Diamond directly. They will point you to the correct model from their web site, and you can then order directly from there.

Vegan Packer
01-14-2016, 01:18
I ultimately ended out calling Black Diamond, and I ordered a set of straps that were meant for another model, since they only make one strap for the Distance Carbon FLZ model. I think that I spent about $13 on the new straps.

I scavenged some components from the original straps, and then, with some cutting at stitching, I managed to make the square peg fit in the round hole. They look great, and they are more comfortable than the original straps, but they are still a bit on the stiff side. I hope that they will soften up with use. Still, it is an improvement over the originals, and I expect that the new straps won't dig into my skin anymore.

Traveler
01-14-2016, 07:38
Call Black Diamond directly. They will point you to the correct model from their web site, and you can then order directly from there.

Thank you sir! Thinking of an internet source sometimes camouflages the obvious.

jshannon
01-16-2016, 21:31
I prefer Komperdell these days.