PDA

View Full Version : Otto

mountain squid
12-23-2015, 22:37
Hiker friend to many on the AT. Yesterday, Otto lost his battle with cancer. He spent the last month and a half at Mountain Home in Johnson City, TN. He had numerous visitors including many hiker friends stop by and say hello.

Otto just missed being counted as one of only a few that attended all 15 Hard Core's with TEHCC. He did 14, having only missed last year's event because he was hiking on the PCT (Bob gave him special permission to miss last year). In addition to Hard Core, Otto accumulated over 700 volunteer hours with TEHCC. He was a great worker and if you have hiked any of our 135 miles you have trod across a step that was placed by Otto or a rock crib that he built. He did attend this year's Hard Core.

In 2005, Otto started a trail maintenance club at Appalachian State University in Boone, NC, which is still active today. He was also an ALDHA board member for a couple of years.

I do not know of any memorial services. I understand he will be cremated. Bob Peoples plans a 'hiker memorial' to distribute some of his ashes across Round Bald, date to be determined.

Follow the blazes, Otto, and See you on the trail,
mt squid

Dogwood
12-23-2015, 22:57
LOL. Funny you said this Mt squid: "Otto just missed being counted as one of only a few that attended all 15 Hard Core's with TEHCC. He did 14, having only missed last year's event because he was hiking on the PCT (Bob gave him special permission to miss last year). In addition to Hard Core, Otto accumulated over 700 volunteer hours with TEHCC. He was a great worker and if you have hiked any of our 135 miles you have trod across a step that was placed by Otto or a rock crib that he built. He did attend this year's Hard Core." Last I met Otto he was fixing some stone steps on the AT on his own. Stopped and chatted happily with me.

See ya again Otto on the REALLY REALLY REALLY LD Trail paved with gold.

Lauriep
12-24-2015, 13:45
I'll miss you, Otto. Happy trails to you and Raven. See ya later.