PDA

View Full Version : Photos and videos using an iPhone

LAZ
12-24-2015, 00:41
I am a bit perplexed about photo and video options using my iPhone. Like how people are taking videos while they are hiking without them getting jittery I see references to a stick pick - mounting your iPhone to a hiking pole - but doesn't that have the same problem, like how to keep it steady? Or is this just for photos? I've also seen reference to a GoPro mount - how is this better or worse? Any basic information would bee greatly appreciatted.. I haven't noticed this subject in current threads and am having trouble searching the site. I'm guessing it's second nature to most people and I'm sure someone can figure this all out by watching videos about it but really, I can't.

Kaptainkriz
12-24-2015, 00:53
All mine are completely handheld. The iPhone is a very stable platform to shoot from...makes even a noob like me look good. And a cheezy selfie stick gives some nice perspective. I think the wide field of view contributes to the apparent stability of the video.
http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLdxYynz7DmRoLfGNWYRI5wsvPi-WJ_OIa

Bird Dawg
12-24-2015, 00:57
Here's a link to Joe Brewer's video explaining his iPhone set up. Joe has completed the AT, the PCT and the CDT using this same system. His videos are great. Check them out! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k7TEhNgLSwY

Uncle Joe
12-24-2015, 01:08
I don't use my iPhone as much but do use a Sony Action cam (GoPro competitor). FWIW, I also have a GoPro but like my Sony a little better. Honestly, neither are the best for hiking. I think action cams are designed for filming you as you move thru an environment. They're not the best for capturing you AND the environment. You'll find the iPhone pretty good at that. I'm actually looking at a good point-n-shoot: the Canon G7X. Check out Shug Emery's stuff on YouTube. He does almost all of his filming with a Canon Elph 330. That said, the iPhone is a decent point-n-shoot and is fine for the trail. I don't use it as much simply because mounting it stably requires getting a case of some sort. I have a mount for an iPhone and tripod but I like walking and filming too.

ChuckT
12-26-2015, 07:27
I'm not 100% familiar with the iPhone but some phones have an anti-jitter feature that you can can turn on or off. Probably uses a bit more battery but I leave it ON in my Android (Note3) and all my cameras (Nikons). Be aware though that video will use up memory many times faster than stills and take longer to download or email.

bemental
12-26-2015, 10:58
I'm not 100% familiar with the iPhone but some phones have an anti-jitter feature that you can can turn on or off. Probably uses a bit more battery but I leave it ON in my Android (Note3) and all my cameras (Nikons). Be aware though that video will use up memory many times faster than stills and take longer to download or email.

Anti-shake is built-in and on automatically with newer iPhones.

LAZ
12-27-2015, 23:31
Thanks. This is all exactly what I needed.