PDA

View Full Version : Horton's speed records all evaporating!

lobster
12-10-2005, 13:35
Horton,

Get out there and set another!!!

You going to try to lower your previous AT, Long Trail, and PCT records or something different?

Lone Wolf
12-10-2005, 13:37
I heard from a little birdie that the Colorado Trail may be next.:)

Sly
12-10-2005, 13:41
He just set the PCT record, it may be sometime before someone beats it.

lobster
12-10-2005, 13:45
I was under the impression Squeaky beat it even though he didn't start out trying to lower it???

lobster
12-10-2005, 13:48
LW,

Since you the hiker trash man and also have been involved in running ultras and in supporting Horton before, where do you come down on the most efficient way of doing a speed/endurance attempt:

strictly walking
a combination of walking and jogging
all jogging

???

Sly
12-10-2005, 13:52
As far as I know, Squeaky beat the self-supported "backpacking" record held by the Wall but Horton, in his supported hike, has that by nearly 20 days.

lobster
12-10-2005, 13:57
OK thanks !!!

Lone Wolf
12-10-2005, 14:05
LW,

Since you the hiker trash man and also have been involved in running ultras and in supporting Horton before, where do you come down on the most efficient way of doing a speed/endurance attempt:

strictly walking
a combination of walking and jogging
all jogging

???
Definately a combination.

fiddlehead
12-10-2005, 15:53
Here's a link to Wall's Book on his speed hike of the PCT (unsupported like Sly says) (2003) He is really a great writer as well as excellent hiker/runner. I enjoyed his book.
Records are made to be broken. Horton's PCT hike may take a little while to be beaten but i was most surprised at Flying Brian's Triple Crown in 300 days being beaten. (by Squeaky although he still has 2 weeks to go i believe. )

fiddlehead
12-10-2005, 15:54
Oh, i forgot the link (above post) here it is: http://fiddleheadpa.safeshopper.com/50/166.htm?654

Squeaky 2
12-10-2005, 17:16
Although Squeaky still has until the end of Dec, 31st to be exact , if done by then and no hazzards extreme to get in his way I work it out to the end of the month that the Triple Crown will be done in 237 or so days therefore beating Flying Brian by almost 63 days and Squeaky walked consecutively.

I think we are looking at an awesome guy here and I am proud to say , well of course he is my SON.

Stef (England)

Sly
12-11-2005, 02:03
Here's a link to Wall's Book on his speed hike of the PCT (unsupported like Sly says) (2003)

I don't know if it was Squeaky's intention to set the "backpacking" record on the PCT but he only beat Wall's record by a day or so.

Records are made to be broken. Horton's PCT hike may take a little while to be beaten but i was most surprised at Flying Brian's Triple Crown in 300 days being beaten. (by Squeaky although he still has 2 weeks to go i believe. )

Considering the snowpack on the PCT this year, yes it's truly remarkable Squeaky broke Wall's record and without an unfortunate accident or something, is about to shatter Brian's TC record.

While we're at it, doesn't Ward hold the "unoffical" un-supported backpacking AT record at something like 60 or 66 days? If so, that's apparently safe for the time being.

Nean
12-11-2005, 02:56
LW will remember better than I, but it was 56 or 58 days for Ward L. Horton, Scott and Ward were all 2 days apart.
BTW, I'm not sure Brains hike was totally unsupported. He has some interesting theories on "support". Regardless, the 2 hikes hardly compare. Give BR credit for helping spark interest, but Squeaky is setting the standard.

Squeaky 2
12-11-2005, 04:06
I too agree Squeaky is the 'MAN'. He did not in his mind set out to do any record this year other than the 'Triple Crown'. I have worked out if he does it by 31st Dec this year he will have done it in 236/237 days. He has always said and still does that the PCT if you are determined enough to do it can be done unsupported in 60days. His was 81 days but if you take into account all the bad snows this year he says any good hiker could give it a go. He lost quite a good few days due too the bad weather, like being stuck up a mountain for a day and all the other hazzards , but he is very happy with what he has done so far, and also the CDT he took none of the cut offs, as to him that is a way of cheating on what he has set out to do.
He knows himself although he has only 620 miles left to do, he has a long way to go. I spoke to him on Sunday 11am your time and he was heading out for a 30 mile day and hopes to be in Damacus in 4 days time. He knows one more very bad bout of weather could change this for him but I do know my son and he will crawl if he has too.
He respects every one elses hike and thinks everyone is amazing when they do there thru-hike, he feels no different from anyone else. I myself did a walk for Breast Cancer this year only 26.4 miles in 5 1/4 hrs, I said to Squeaky "Its not really anything compared to what you are doing" and he said "Mum its is fantastic you achieved what you said you would do", and that is great. He also says he only walks each day and that is no big deal, so you can see he does not believe he has done any thing special. I myself beg to differ and think he is amazing and only a certain few have that bit extra to go.

Happy Holidays to you all.
We shall be over there for the Holidays and cannot wait to spend Christmas and New Year in America.

Stef

Burn
12-11-2005, 08:04
thanx stef for the constant updates....oh and for the ride in 03 just before squeaky's 1st at thruhike finish...it's still a great memory walking up from the approach trail not to the plaque at springer but to a sign that says Congrates Squeaky! hehehe

after 8 miles i was done only to go 800 the next year....you guys are great! preciate ya'll

Lone Wolf
12-11-2005, 08:54
LW will remember better than I, but it was 56 or 58 days for Ward L. Horton, Scott and Ward were all 2 days apart.
BTW, I'm not sure Brains hike was totally unsupported. He has some interesting theories on "support". Regardless, the 2 hikes hardly compare. Give BR credit for helping spark interest, but Squeaky is setting the standard.
Ward 60 days unsupported, Maineak 56 days supported, Horton 52+ days supported.

DMA, 2000
12-11-2005, 13:57
The AT is not a sporting event, and the ATC does not recognize any records for speed or anything else. Thus, there are no records. Discussion of these things diminishes the AT and detracts from the true intended experie...oh, wait...wrong site. Sorry. Carry on.

Mouse
12-11-2005, 14:04
It is not quite the same thing, but I found on my 46.2 mile trail runs that running on flats and downhills then switching to a walk on steep uphills, really steep downhills or whenever the ground is too uneven to run worked best. The determining facters for me were either rate of oxygen use or risk of doing multiple face plants. There was a point in steepness where a firm upthrusting walk got more speed and left me less breathless than trying to maintain a jog. And a point going downhill where running is like a runaway semi with no brakes!

I DID get good at bouncing back up again after tripping on rocks without hardly breaking my stride!

lobster
12-11-2005, 14:07
The downhill shuffle is great whereby you lower your center of gravity and increase sureness of foot.

Nimblewill Nomad was well-known for that.

Tha Wookie
12-11-2005, 15:44
The AT is not a sporting event, and the ATC does not recognize any records for speed or anything else. Thus, there are no records. Discussion of these things diminishes the AT and detracts from the true intended experie...oh, wait...wrong site. Sorry. Carry on.

:jump good one... you had me going there:p

Squeaky 2
12-11-2005, 17:39
thanx stef for the constant updates....oh and for the ride in 03 just before squeaky's 1st at thruhike finish...it's still a great memory walking up from the approach trail not to the plaque at springer but to a sign that says Congrates Squeaky! hehehe

after 8 miles i was done only to go 800 the next year....you guys are great! preciate ya'll

Nice too hear from you. You want to see the 'Banner' this year, he will be proud.

Done anymore hiking.

Stef

SGT Rock
12-11-2005, 18:49
LOL. damn if that ain't funny.

warren doyle
12-11-2005, 20:52
Great to read about Squeaky's progress in several threads on Whiteblaze.

It is refreshing to me to read about long distance trail endurance treks and the fortitude, discipline and perserverance it takes to accomplish them. I like these threads more than the equipment heads quibbling over ounces and degree ratings; the threads from the 'hiker behavior' fascists; and, 'where's the next party?' folks.

So Squeaky has 620 miles to do in 21 days - about 30 miles a day - to complete his task of the triple crown in a calendar year. He made it hard on himself by starting so late into the hiking season and by having the high standards of hiking the trails consecutively, continuously and without planned support. I also imagine he won't have an asterisk by his name like 'Flyin' Brian' since Brian was unable to follow the exact AT in southern New England due to snow depths. It will be interesting to see if his 'calendar year' quest will be doable given the snow, ice and and wind chill factor on Chestnut Ridge, Grayson Highlands, Whitetop, Roan Highlands, Big Bald, Max Patch, the Smokies and Standing Indian. Will he allow himself the peace of mind that he shortened the record by over two months if he finished in early January instead?

Lone Wolf, let me know when Squeaky gets into Damascus. I would like to meet him when he passes through here.

Also, as to the unsupported record for the AT, I believe the Wall had a 55-56 day unsuported thru-hike of the AT a fews years after Ward completed his 60-day trek. I would like to find this out.

Happy trails!

rickb
12-11-2005, 21:40
It will be interesting to see if his 'calendar year' quest will be doable given the snow, ice and and wind chill factor on Chestnut Ridge, Grayson Highlands, Whitetop, Roan Highlands, Big Bald, Max Patch, the Smokies and Standing Indian.

Is there much snow now?

Alligator
12-12-2005, 00:08
Is there much snow now?
Some snow and ice in the Virginias at elevations of 2800ft, with temps below freezing for most of the week. Would expect it to be fairly wintry at least in the Grayson Highlands. What says Lone Wolf down Damascus' way?

Lone Wolf
12-12-2005, 00:11
Yup. Snow in the high country. Always be prepared.

Burn
12-12-2005, 08:16
hey steph....yeh i did about 120 something miles this year so far....going again for a week or so near or during the holidays....maybe i'll feel squeaky's breeze as he flies by.

MTNRUNR
12-15-2005, 19:34
Just wondering if anyone has information of how it's going??? Well I hope :)

neighbor dave
12-16-2005, 12:49

try lookin' here!!:welcome :clap
go squeaky go!!!!:banana :clap :welcome

neighbor dave
12-16-2005, 12:50
try lookin' here!!:welcome :clap
go squeaky go!!!!:banana :clap :welcome

opps forgot the link!!http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=11644:datz

Squeaky 2
12-16-2005, 18:26

Hi Squeaky rang home tonight and has 400 miles left to do, will now look at being done by Boxing Day.
Not sure where he is as I was at work and did not get in until 10pm, he was chatting with his dad, but his dad forgot to get all the nitty gritty details I ask when I speak to him, so all I know is he is looking so much to getting the trail done , a cold weather front is coming in and he has 400 left. He did say he now does not think he will have time to stop at Miss Janets as he is now pushing on with the miles.
He will be ringing home again in 3 days so I will do my best to get proper info and post it to you guys.

stef