PDA

View Full Version : anyone starting jan1st?

allman
12-24-2015, 15:12
Hey everyone, first post with whiteblaze. Just wondering if anyone is starting northbound January 1st. I am starting a nobo thru hike jan 1st. And just trying to find out how lonely ill be.

bigcranky
12-24-2015, 15:16
There is usually quite a crowd on the summit of Springer on Dec 31 for the New Year's Eve celebration. Not quite like Times Square, of course. So try to be there that evening for a good sendoff.

You'll meet other hikers, but the trail won't be crowded and you'll have plenty of days by yourself. Good luck and happy trails.

Longchuan
12-24-2015, 21:00
Hi Allman,

I'll be starting on Jan 1st as well. Looks like there will be a few of us starting around that time this year according to the ATC registration chart.

I will be staying at the hike hostel on the 30th and on the approach trail on the 31st. You?

allman
12-24-2015, 21:35
Hey longchuan
I don't think I'm gonna do the approach trail, gonna get dropped at forest service road close to Springer and backtrack on the first. Have done sections in summer and fall but not winter. So a little nervous about starting in Jan. It's nice to know other people will be out there. Hope to see you out there.

Longchuan
12-24-2015, 22:07
Sounds good, same here. Looks like the first night will be below freezing XP

Good luck on your hike!

Learn Free or Die
12-24-2015, 22:45
Hey all, I'll be starting on the 1st. While I arrive to ATL in the late afternoon on 12/31 and need to hit a few stores for supplies as well as a good restaurant with a friend, I may be on Springer for the NYE celebration. I won't be doing the approach trail.

I plan on going really slow for the first few weeks yet it's great to know there will be a bubble out there! We may need to band together when winter finally hits in earnest.

sparky2000
12-24-2015, 23:34
A Jan 1st starter I talked with a few yrs. ago said she was sorry that she haden't brought spikes.

Traveler
12-25-2015, 09:10
Hey everyone, first post with whiteblaze. Just wondering if anyone is starting northbound January 1st. I am starting a nobo thru hike jan 1st. And just trying to find out how lonely ill be.

Welcome to WhiteBlaze! With an early start date like this, I have often wondered about the planning involved and have a couple of questions.

Regardless how this winter is starting out, you will run eventually into serious snow in February and March and curious how you planning to work through that. Will you have snow shoes along with crampons and/or microspikes for hard ice? What do you plan as an average daily mileage in these conditions where you may be breaking trail in snow depths of 20" and higher?

Another, perhaps larger issue will be Vermont. Trails in VT are closed from early-mid April through late May during "mud season" to protect trails. How are you planning to avoid the closure with the likelihood you will be in VT at about that time?

I wish you well on your journey and hope the weather remains kind to you!

kayak karl
12-25-2015, 09:20
even if a group starts it will be broken up by Neel, if you are hiking your own hike. you will know it's the weekend when you see other people. i went 5 days not seeing a sole. prepare for being WET and cold. the dampness in Georgia is amazing. you will have views like this. :)

The Cleaner
12-25-2015, 11:23
The forecast for next week here is temps back to normal by 12-31.A low temp of 19* is expected here in the TN valley.Friday's high is 37* and this is for town,it will be much colder in the higher elevations....

double d
12-25-2015, 16:30
My wife and I spent New Years Eve on Springer Mt. a few years ago, great times, and we met a few hikers who were starting their thru hike, not something I would suggest at time of year, but its their hike, not mine, so good luck to those who will be heading out on the AT!!!!

coyote9
12-28-2015, 15:48
See you guys Jan 1. Probably Dec 31 up on Springer.

coyote9
12-28-2015, 16:57
We are going to be cold guys. low of 20s to the 6th. I hope my 12 deg bag and fleece liner hold my heat.

George
12-28-2015, 17:07
We are going to be cold guys. low of 20s to the 6th. I hope my 12 deg bag and fleece liner hold my heat.

yeah, that will be a bit marginal - I find a minus 5 F bag to be about right

soumodeler
12-28-2015, 20:37
I will be on Springer on the 31st, but just for a short section. See you out there.

hikehunter
12-29-2015, 02:51
I did a super section starting Friday Feb 13, 2015. 18deg. clear blue sky and no wind. by the time I got to Neel's it was neg 6 and 10inch snow on Blood Mnt. I thank the maker for micro spikes......they saved my ass more than once.

Longchuan
01-02-2016, 22:54
Just an update. So far 7 of us, that I know of, started the thru hike attempt on Jan 1st. Most of us are pushing for Neel's gap tomorrow. The weather has been really really nice so far. First rain coming up in 5 days from now.

Adriana
01-03-2016, 00:02
I was purging 2015 photos off my iPad and came across a screenshot of our local weather station near Mt. Oglethorpe 20 miles south of Springer which showed a temperature of 0.1°F on February 19, 2015.

Plan for the worst, hope for the best.

squeezebox
01-03-2016, 02:31
Winter just might happen after all. Be prepared in case it does.

Cannon
01-03-2016, 13:57
Good Luck! Hope you guys get decent weather these next few weeks! Stay Safe.

FatMan
01-03-2016, 14:23
Just an update. So far 7 of us, that I know of, started the thru hike attempt on Jan 1st. Most of us are pushing for Neel's gap tomorrow. The weather has been really really nice so far. First rain coming up in 5 days from now.Yes, some nice cool but sunny weather for the next several days.

I did not see any of the Thru hikers today but I did see someone who stayed with a few of them last night at Gooch Shelter. Was told one of them was carrying a 120lb pack. I hope he gets things figured out quickly.

George
01-03-2016, 16:23
3 on TJ from this group - would be entertaining to hear details of this 120 lb packer

the 2 I recall are wyoming skateboarder that was about 75-80 lbs and I believe finished and Coup (golite owner) who started a stunt trip with over a 100 (mostly food) - my memory is that it lasted less than a week

fiddlehead
01-03-2016, 22:28
Would be fun to guess what's in a 120# pack.
I remember 2 guys in the 100 mile wilderness one year who were each over 100.
When asked, one of them had: a half gallon of milk (liquid form) and 4 books.
That's about all I remember (was in '95 I believe)

fiddlehead
01-03-2016, 22:30
In this day and age, I'd think he has at least an Ipad or tablet, if not a laptop.
And power supplies to keep em working.
Maybe a spot?

Or else, I've seen people carrying enough water for 3 days, and food for 2 weeks down there in GA already.

Yeah, hopefully they learn quickly.

ChuckP
01-03-2016, 22:34
Ran into a few of you throughs today as my wife and I walked from Woody Gap to Gooch Mountain shelter and back. Good luck to you all! Did not see any 120 lb. packs, or any cast off gear in the woods.

Charlocity2
01-03-2016, 23:20
I day hiked out and back between Unicoi Gap and Chattahoochee Gap. Spoke to one person that said they were thru-hiking when I asked. Felt bad; might could have offered him a ride into town. Wasn't anticipating seeing thrus this early, so if i continue to do so, I may get more used to seeing the huge packs, as others have noted. Guess I need to learn that fine line between respecting privacy, and piping up if safety may be of concern.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Turk6177
01-03-2016, 23:30
Stay warm hikers! I hope you have good weather through the Smokies!

Longchuan
01-04-2016, 00:08
Yes, some nice cool but sunny weather for the next several days.

I did not see any of the Thru hikers today but I did see someone who stayed with a few of them last night at Gooch Shelter. Was told one of them was carrying a 120lb pack. I hope he gets things figured out quickly.

Oh that would be poor Otis... he didn't know what to bring so brought everything... including:
30 days of food, 6 tanks of fuel, a gallon of water, full jar of sugar, big jar of protein powder, etc...
His goal is to just finish before katahdin closes. We are all rooting for him.

Boots and Backpacks
01-04-2016, 15:52

That's not cold. We carried 0* bags this time last year, and slept in insulated clothes when the temps dipped below zero. Once you reach the Smoky's, and beyond that point is where the cold will still.

Uncle Joe
01-04-2016, 16:05
Met one thru hiker at Deep Gap shelter yesterday. He had a couple of people coming up to meet him there also thru-hiking. A SOBO was just leaving the shelter. It was crazy cold up there Sat. night. I slept at Sassafras Gap with some seasoned Winter hikers and they were even talking about how cold it was. One of them said, "My watch read down to 14F and stopped!" :eek: My first Winter camp! Wasn't fun but I survived it! I feel for that group heading North.

Charlocity2
01-05-2016, 15:47
Oh that would be poor Otis... he didn't know what to bring so brought everything... including:
30 days of food, 6 tanks of fuel, a gallon of water, full jar of sugar, big jar of protein powder, etc...
His goal is to just finish before katahdin closes. We are all rooting for him.

Did he also have a bear canister and a pop-up "privacy tent"?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

squeezebox
01-05-2016, 16:13
I bet if you really tried and were able to kinda justify it. We could all hit 120 Lb. . 6lb pack, 6lb tent, extra down jacket, 3 cookpots with lids, white gas stove, 1/2 - 1 gal fuel. big flashlight, maybe 2-3, just keep on going.

Cannon
01-07-2016, 17:51
Alright, who is it?

https://www.reddit.com/r/AppalachianTrail/comments/3zx0cu/the_first_80_pound_pack_passed_thru_mountain/

soumodeler
01-07-2016, 19:21
Well the good news is it looks like he ditched the green propane tanks at least! And also swapped the trash bags for a dry bag.

But I figured he wouldn't do a shakedown just from hearing what he said about wanting to save money and buy it in bulk.

The Cleaner
01-07-2016, 23:41
I just got back from a 2 nite trip to do some work at a shelter.A SOBO came in on Tuesday night.He had to get off the trail in VA and is hiking back NOBO to finish.He told me about a couple who started NOBO in November and have only made it to Fontana dam.:eek: