PDA

View Full Version : SOBO's impressions of the South

blue indian
12-24-2015, 15:22
Ive been curious as to what the SOBO's think of the south....

Its common to hear that the northern end of the trail is the most scenic and remote section of the trail; giving the NOBO's motivation and something to look forward to.

So Im interested to hear what the SOBO's thought of the southern section of the trail (I guess Im thinking of the Smokies to Springer) ? Are yall just worn out and wanting to finish? Do you look forward to bigger mountains and more isolation after hiking thru the mid-atlantic? Does the southern end hold any weight in terms of beauty? What about the people you encounter?

bemental
12-24-2015, 17:28
I can imagine how anticlimactic it would be arriving at Springer Mountain, in the middle of nowhere, to finish your hike.

Although I do like to appeal of only having a short, downhill walk to civilization rather than having to climb back down Katahdin.

Mtsman
12-24-2015, 17:41
OP that is a great question~! I haven't SOBO'd so I can't wait until the answers come.

MuddyWaters
12-24-2015, 19:23
All the SOBO I have met when doing fall hikes in Ga/NC/TN have echoed one sentiment.....they are ready to be done.

I spent half hour talking to a ~55 yr old or so married couple who were SOBO in TN back in Oct. They were having a good time, in spite of heavy rain. Did not admit to any marital strife caused by the hike, were definitely ready for it to be done, and at least the wife said she wouldnt do it again though.

virginia jen
12-24-2015, 22:24
Went sobo last year. I loved the southern appalachians. But I'm from Virginia, so those mountains felt like home. They were their own type of challenge. Their own barren branched beauty. Smokies were incredible. Post holing in snow over my knees for 2 miles over Hump Mtn, and Little Hump without being certain where the trail lay was a day I'll never forget. Or seeing rim frost 2 inches tall covering everything on Big Bald.

I was never ready to be done. Expect that it got cold as crap from Roan Mtn south, and we were fighting snow & crazy cold temps. Nantahala south was rough because it got so frigging cold. If it wasn't quite that cold, I would've turned around & hiked north again until my money ran out.

Springer was climatic. I sat ontop of it for 2 hours, not ready to come down & face that my hike was over. Even though everyone's family was waiting in the parking lot below. I finished with 2 great friends, one I'd been hiking with since RPH in NY. And one I'd only met on Virginia, but quickly became part of my trail family. A year later, I still miss the trail on a daily basis. I'm lucky to have a job that allows me to backpack for work year round. And pays enough to save for the next adventure.

rickb
12-24-2015, 22:32

Down Yonder

It was not as hot
Like I'd been told
Truth be known
It was pretty damn cold

The nights were long
But nothing I couldn't handle
Back in the day
We all carried a candle

The views were great
And every bit as good
As anything up here
In my New England neighborhood

Rather than piles of rock
There are magnificent seas of green
Fewer ponds down below
But balds that must be seen

No Maine moose
That is all too true
But finally a bear
Then more than a few

A Springer finish is great
Please, please, adjust you attitudes
Just walk 2000 miles down
And you you'll appreciate those latitudes.

Merry Christmas!

Dogwood
12-24-2015, 22:51

Its common to hear that the northern end of the trail is the most scenic and remote section of the trail; giving the NOBO's motivation and something to look forward to.

So Im interested to hear what the SOBO's thought of the southern section of the trail (I guess Im thinking of the Smokies to Springer) ? Are yall just worn out and wanting to finish? Do you look forward to bigger mountains and more isolation after hiking thru the mid-atlantic? Does the southern end hold any weight in terms of beauty? What about the people you encounter?

Two complete AT hikes done here. First, was a AT NOBO thru-hike and the other was done in sections mostly long distance sections, 300 miles+, that combined both NOBO and SOBO section hikes. The NOBO Thru-hike was conducted over a typical NOBO time frame from early April to Oct. The longest SOBO section was 730 miles during typical SOBO Thru-hiker time frame. This SOBO was from Daleville to Springer Mt/Amicalola Falls SP ending at A SP in mid Dec.

I can't compare from personal experiences a straight NOBO thru to a straight SOBO thru though but here's what I can tell you. NOBO AT thru-hiking was for me experienced over three distinct seasons spring, summer, and fall with about 1/3 of it being defined as typical - I was hiking north with spring but hiked through the summer into early fall with the changes of the leaves, etc. The NOBO was begun with no leaves on the deciduous tress and finished with almost no leaves on the deciduous trees. It was a three season hike. The longer SOBO hikes, especially that 730 mile one, could be defined as hiking south INTO fall and winter from typically a late summer/EARLY fall season start.

For anyone to suggest A SOBO itinerary can't be as equally scenic and beautiful in itself for its own sake compared to a NOBO probably doesn't want to see it. My goodness a SOBO is just different with its pros and cons just as is a NOBO! LOVE the south through the fall in Harpers Ferry, Grayson Highlands, Shenandoah NP, Great Smoky Mountains NP, all the waterfalls, different trees, lack of hurried crowds/insects, etc Finishing an AT thru-hike in this atmosphere often close to the New Yr can bring a heightened level of satisfaction and newness of life that immediately carries over into the NEW year. Don't underestimate the positives of a SOBO thru.

Dogwood
12-24-2015, 22:52
That's great Rick. Did you come up with that?

Praha4
12-24-2015, 23:26
this is an interesting thread....I've met many SoBo thrus on various section hikes. The ones I've met in GA and NC were definitely ready to get it finished, there were tired and just ready to be done with the hike.

the ones I've met in VT were still early in their hikes, still had that gleam in their eye, still the energy.

Dogwood
12-25-2015, 04:26

What strongly factors into SOBO thru-hikers having more of a "I just want to finish" or a "I'm done, I want to just go home" attitude are different seasonal changes compared to NOBO thru-hikers.

In North America in climates with distinct four different seasons of somewhat equal duration such as the AT generally can be identified, NOBOers typically start March and April during early spring a period of life reawakening, of birth of newness. For the first two to three months of their hike they are hiking towards the Summer Solstice, June 20, the longest day of the yr. Then, only after hiking somewhere around half their AT NOBO thru-hike the days gradually get shorter. For NOBOers their hike is primarily spring and summer with a bit of fall. Fall is a time of harvest but not a time of rest, of slumber, of inactivity as many N Americans in distinctly four different climates usually perceive it.

SOBOers typically start in Maine sometime in June near the Summer Solstice, the longest day of the yr. From the start or near start days are getting increasingly shorter. From the start there is more a sense of N American four seasonal evolutionary urgency. Most live for the sun. For SOBOers the hike is a summer and much of fall hike not involving spring in the calendar sense at all. SOBOers are hiking TOWARDS the season typically characterized by rest, slumber, of sleep, of no more growth - WINTER. This can affect human temperament in verbalized attitudes.

MuddyWaters
12-25-2015, 04:32
Sobo often have target date to be done by either thanksgiving or christmas, and they may be adhering to a more rigid schedule to make it happen.

Coffee
12-25-2015, 07:53
I plan to hike the AT SOBO when I eventually do a thru hike of the AT. I expect the south in fall to be one of the highlights of the trip.

LoneStranger
12-25-2015, 09:17
SOBOers typically start in Maine sometime in June near the Summer Solstice, the longest day of the yr. From the start or near start days are getting increasingly shorter. From the start there is more a sense of N American four seasonal evolutionary urgency. Most live for the sun. For SOBOers the hike is a summer and much of fall hike not involving spring in the calendar sense at all. SOBOers are hiking TOWARDS the season typically characterized by rest, slumber, of sleep, of no more growth - WINTER. This can affect human temperament in verbalized attitudes.

As someone who is greatly affected by the sun in terms of brain chemistry I find the opposite to be true for myself. The long, sunny days of summer are endless and there seems to be plenty of time to stop and enjoy a view. With the shortening days of fall there comes a sense of urgency. The same changes in light that drive bears to hyperphagia make my legs restless and eager to cover miles. I spend as much of September and October on trail as I can every year for this reason. My wife encourages that as well because I'm like a caged beast at home between trips :)

Not saying you're wrong in your theorizing in general; Just know that it doesn't apply to everyone.

blue indian
12-25-2015, 18:06
Down Yonder

It was not as hot
Like I'd been told
Truth be known
It was pretty damn cold

The nights were long
But nothing I couldn't handle
Back in the day
We all carried a candle

The views were great
And every bit as good
As anything up here
In my New England neighborhood

Rather than piles of rock
There are magnificent seas of green
Fewer ponds down below
But balds that must be seen

No Maine moose
That is all too true
But finally a bear
Then more than a few

A Springer finish is great
Please, please, adjust you attitudes
Just walk 2000 miles down
And you you'll appreciate those latitudes.

Merry Christmas!

Haha..This is great!

blue indian
12-25-2015, 18:07
Lots of interesting posts here.

Still not quite what Im looking for though

fiddlehead
12-25-2015, 20:16
I think what I remember most is the free Ben & Jerrys we were given at Mt. Crossings.
That was great.
And the finish of course. 33086

A lot of miles hiked in THAT picture ^

firesign
12-26-2015, 14:04

I found the southern part quite repetitive - like groundhog day, no comparison with the two top states. In fact, from Vermont going south, there was not much difference in the overall daily scenery - great if you like trees. ))

When I was coming out of the Smokies (which had some breath-taking vistas) my body fat was at a minimum and my energy level were waning, my daily mileage (19) was not affected but I was not enjoying it as I had in the earlier months.

I enjoyed the isolation especially after I had passed the last of the Nobos in PA (I started 29 May) and this was the primary reason for going South. I only had 2 days where I never saw another soul and whenever possible i avoided shelters. There is no comparison with the first two states and the rest of the trail, so the real mountains (IMO) were in the North especially the Whites, which were amazing. It was also a physiological boost knowing that after NH, the most difficult part was over.

After hiking in the North, the South is quite bland as stated above. I never thought that I would be in the trees as much as I was. I sent my sun glasses home at the first town.

I never thru-hiked to meet or be with people so I kept to myself and only engaged when I was at hostels. I did the find the people in the South were friendlier, less in a rush, with more time for hikers.

greensleep
12-26-2015, 14:21
Firesign;
Were the blackflies as bad as I've heard? I'm considering a Sobo hike in 2017 starting around the same time you did. I also treasure our dwindling solitude.

Dogwood
12-26-2015, 15:36
I found the southern part quite repetitive - like groundhog day, no comparison with the two top states. In fact, from Vermont going south, there was not much difference in the overall daily scenery - great if you like trees. ))

When I was coming out of the Smokies (which had some breath-taking vistas) my body fat was at a minimum and my energy level were waning, my daily mileage (19) was not affected but I was not enjoying it as I had in the earlier months.

There is no comparison with the first two states and the rest of the trail, so the real mountains (IMO) were in the North especially the Whites, which were amazing. It was also a physiological boost knowing that after NH, the most difficult part was over.

After hiking in the North, the South is quite bland as stated above. I never thought that I would be in the trees as much as I was. I sent my sun glasses home at the first town. ...

Firesign, did you know before your AT thru-hike the AT is NOT a continuous Appalachian Mountain Range high elevation above treeline or open ridge line hike?

You said, "you sent sunglasses home" and "I never thought that I would be in the trees as much as I was." Before stepping onto the AT did you know you were doing a LD hike/trail that it is often defined as the "long green tunnel?" If so, what did you think that phrase meant? In my honest respectful opinion if vegetation doesn't appeal to your sense of how a LD hike should be characterized than you should have considered LD hiking somewhere else other than hiking the length of the entire AT.:rolleyes::-?

Since you found the "southern part quite repetitive" and "quite bland" possibly having adopted that perception ON TRAIL AS YOU HIKED COULD YOU have mitigated that perception BY YOU CHANGING rather than expecting the trail to change or be the same as you so desired incorporating more off trail activities and overall experiences into your thru-hike? For example, the southeast is rich in U.S. history and significant historical sites, has great opps for a short city visits like Washington DC from Harpers Ferry, renting a canoe or kayak on several waterways, taking in a music festival/venue, taking up photography or writing to a greater extent, actively learning about the natural history of the trail and various regional cultures, embracing a greater depth of awareness of the wide biodiversity and geology that COULD be appreciated on a AT thru-hike, etc. What I'm getting at is a LD hike is MUCH MORE than just hiking and "the trail." What we experience is a reflection of OURSELVES!

firesign
12-26-2015, 16:46
Firesign, did you know before your AT thru-hike the AT is NOT a continuous Appalachian Mountain Range high elevation above treeline or open ridge line hike?

You said, "you sent sunglasses home" and "I never thought that I would be in the trees as much as I was." Before stepping onto the AT did you know you were doing a LD hike/trail that it is often defined as the "long green tunnel?" If so, what did you think that phrase meant? In my honest respectful opinion if vegetation doesn't appeal to your sense of how a LD hike should be characterized than you should have considered LD hiking somewhere else other than hiking the length of the entire AT.:rolleyes::-?

Since you found the "southern part quite repetitive" and "quite bland" possibly having adopted that perception ON TRAIL AS YOU HIKED COULD YOU have mitigated that perception BY YOU CHANGING rather than expecting the trail to change or be the same as you so desired incorporating more off trail activities and overall experiences into your thru-hike? For example, the southeast is rich in U.S. history and significant historical sites, has great opps for a short city visits like Washington DC from Harpers Ferry, renting a canoe or kayak on several waterways, taking in a music festival/venue, taking up photography or writing to a greater extent, actively learning about the natural history of the trail and various regional cultures, embracing a greater depth of awareness of the wide biodiversity and geology that COULD be appreciated on a AT thru-hike, etc. What we experience is a reflection of OURSELVES!

Why would I want to change my perception? That was and still is my opinion which is obviously different from yours.)) I just tried to answer the OP's questions based on my experience and I achieved my objective (IMO). The AT as was one of the best experiences of my life, but the OP never asked for opinions on this.

I was focused on the challenge and finishing my thru-hike but most importantly finding out about myself and I did not need other people for that. I started and finished with this same approach and I am glad that I used the same plan that I have used on previous LD hikes. None of what you suggest interests me, some are social activities and just distractions and I wanted solitude and peace

My real journey was inner and not outer. I wish you well.

firesign
12-26-2015, 16:51
The black flies were not that bad in 2014. I did not wear a head net but used Lemon Eucalyptus as a natural repellent. Best of luck and enjoy the solitude)

Dogwood
12-26-2015, 18:25
Why would I want to change my perception?...I wanted solitude and peace

My real journey was inner and not outer. I wish you well.

I wish you all the BEST also. Namaste.

You sound like a self-actualizing individual. When we seek specific qualities, like solitude and peace, perception and perspective play significant roles in experiencing these qualities. You considered perception and perspective when choosing to hike SOBO. You perceived with a SOBO itinerary it would lead to solitude and peace. It sounds like it served you well.

Equally as substantial, by considering YOUR ROLE YOUR APPROACH YOUR MINDSET YOUR CONSCIOUSNESS in having other perceptions YOU have the ability to change those perceptions too. It's up to you IF you want those perceptions though. Consider, might it be a GREAT TOOL to have knowing we can always change limiting perspectives to more empowering ones concerning anything?

gpburdelljr
12-27-2015, 00:02

Since you found the "southern part quite repetitive" and "quite bland" possibly having adopted that perception ON TRAIL AS YOU HIKED COULD YOU have mitigated that perception BY YOU CHANGING rather than expecting the trail to change or be the same as you so desired incorporating more off trail activities and overall experiences into your thru-hike? For example, the southeast is rich in U.S. history and significant historical sites, has great opps for a short city visits like Washington DC from Harpers Ferry, renting a canoe or kayak on several waterways, taking in a music festival/venue, taking up photography or writing to a greater extent, actively learning about the natural history of the trail and various regional cultures, embracing a greater depth of awareness of the wide biodiversity and geology that COULD be appreciated on a AT thru-hike, etc. What I'm getting at is a LD hike is MUCH MORE than just hiking and "the trail." What we experience is a reflection of OURSELVES!

Did the grinch steal your Christmas?

Dogwood
12-27-2015, 01:50
Well, it did rain. You know that though if you were in Atl. :)

firesign
12-27-2015, 06:31
I wish you all the BEST also. Namaste.

You sound like a self-actualizing individual. When we seek specific qualities, like solitude and peace, perception and perspective play significant roles in experiencing these qualities. You considered perception and perspective when choosing to hike SOBO. You perceived with a SOBO itinerary it would lead to solitude and peace. It sounds like it served you well.

Equally as substantial, by considering YOUR ROLE YOUR APPROACH YOUR MINDSET YOUR CONSCIOUSNESS in having other perceptions YOU have the ability to change those perceptions too. It's up to you IF you want those perceptions though. Consider, might it be a GREAT TOOL to have knowing we can always change limiting perspectives to more empowering ones concerning anything?

God Bless you, thank you for your kind words.

Alligator
12-29-2015, 15:44
Just remember this is in the SF forum folks.

Caveat-I did not hike the southern sections SOBO but have hiked sections during SOBO season, so I will address the beauty part.

In the fall, SOBOs experience fall foliage. This can be quite pretty but IMO New England has the south beat. Along those lines, SOBO's are likely to hike some portion after the leaves have dropped. This negates the green tunnel effect and allows for much greater opportunity to see the backbone of the mountains as well as increasing valley views.

There is natural beauty throughout all of the states along the AT. It's like food. While you might not care for a particular food item, a specific food well prepared and of outstanding quality is still a delicacy. There are a variety of natural features, forest types, and plants different from the northern sections. If you move beyond just looking at the mountains, you will find beauty throughout the trail.

Rain Man
12-30-2015, 13:46
Its common to hear that the northern end of the trail is the most scenic and remote section of the trail...

Curious to read that, as the southern part of the trail has the most remote stretches of all without any road crossings whatsoever ... in the GSMNP.

Scenic-wise, that would be like saying which of your children you love the most. They aren't the same, but they both are sure scenic.

mudsocks
12-30-2015, 16:50
I can't help but wonder if the reason you hear the northern end of the trail is more scenic & remote due to the time of year, fewer number of hikers and where those hikers are mentally in their hike as well as memories fading over time. I certainly was very glad to get back into the mountains of Virginia and happier even to be among fewer people the further into Virginia I hiked. Certainly pockets of the AT stand out in beauty but I don't feel that the either the north or south has an edge. Wanting to finish? No. Wanting to be with friends & family again? Yes. I heard a lot of my fellow Yankees say they felt people in the south are nicer than those in the north. I think the truth of the matter is people are just as nice in the north. The difference is cultural and "southern hospitality" is largely responsible for that impression. As a Yankee that was a cultural difference I really enjoyed. I feel that we're more "guarded" here in the north.

blue indian
12-30-2015, 21:21
Just remember this is in the SF forum folks.

Caveat-I did not hike the southern sections SOBO but have hiked sections during SOBO season, so I will address the beauty part.

In the fall, SOBOs experience fall foliage. This can be quite pretty but IMO New England has the south beat. Along those lines, SOBO's are likely to hike some portion after the leaves have dropped. This negates the green tunnel effect and allows for much greater opportunity to see the backbone of the mountains as well as increasing valley views.

There is natural beauty throughout all of the states along the AT. It's like food. While you might not care for a particular food item, a specific food well prepared and of outstanding quality is still a delicacy. There are a variety of natural features, forest types, and plants different from the northern sections. If you move beyond just looking at the mountains, you will find beauty throughout the trail.

Nicely said.

Its kinda like Jerry Garcia said "Our band is like licorice. Not everybody likes licorice, but those that do REALLY like licorice".

I agree that you can and should find beauty through all parts of the AT instead of expecting the AT to meet YOUR expectations and wishes.

blue indian
12-30-2015, 21:25
Curious to read that, as the southern part of the trail has the most remote stretches of all without any road crossings whatsoever ... in the GSMNP.

Scenic-wise, that would be like saying which of your children you love the most. They aren't the same, but they both are sure scenic.

What about the 100 mile wilderness? Im not counting the logging road that runs through the wilderness.

Thee Smokies is the most visited national park in the country. I hardly consider that the most remote section of the trail. Clingmans Dome and Newfound Gap....??? So many day hikers and tourists....

blue indian
12-30-2015, 21:27
I can't help but wonder if the reason you hear the northern end of the trail is more scenic & remote due to the time of year, fewer number of hikers and where those hikers are mentally in their hike as well as memories fading over time. I certainly was very glad to get back into the mountains of Virginia and happier even to be among fewer people the further into Virginia I hiked. Certainly pockets of the AT stand out in beauty but I don't feel that the either the north or south has an edge. Wanting to finish? No. Wanting to be with friends & family again? Yes. I heard a lot of my fellow Yankees say they felt people in the south are nicer than those in the north. I think the truth of the matter is people are just as nice in the north. The difference is cultural and "southern hospitality" is largely responsible for that impression. As a Yankee that was a cultural difference I really enjoyed. I feel that we're more "guarded" here in the north.

Thanks for your input. Some interesting and valid points here.

MuddyWaters
12-30-2015, 22:06
I heard a lot of my fellow Yankees say they felt people in the south are nicer than those in the north. I think the truth of the matter is people are just as nice in the north. The difference is cultural and "southern hospitality" is largely responsible for that impression. As a Yankee that was a cultural difference I really enjoyed. I feel that we're more "guarded" here in the north.

In my travels, I concur with what has been a stereotype for decades: Northerners, on the average, are not as friendly, polite, cordial, as southern people. Even my 16 yr old son noticed this on a school trip . He was startled by the bruskness of people in hotel, museum, and food service industry by comparison to home.

egilbe
12-30-2015, 22:40
Northerners are always in a hurry, Southerners take their time and don't care if they ever get anywhere.

Funny story of when work sent me to ashville to look at some new equipment they were thinking of purchasing. Standing in the airport on the way back and my co-worker was bouncing around, all jittery and everyone else was so sedate and relaxed. The contrast was amazing.

Dogwood
12-31-2015, 03:36
What about the 100 mile wilderness? Im not counting the logging road that runs through the wilderness.

Thee Smokies is the most visited national park in the country. I hardly consider that the most remote section of the trail. Clingmans Dome and Newfound Gap....??? So many day hikers and tourists....

What one takes away from a hike is based more on the individual than the trail. If one feels bored it is because the hiker failed to appreciate something that could be appreciated. The individual let themselves be bored. It is NOT the trail! It is NOT sections of a trail! If a hiker wants a remote hike it is up to the hiker to pick a trail or trail section or a route that it is more remote. It is NOT the trail's fault. It is the hiker's fault! If a hiker allows for a trail experience that is not in line with their desires it is the hiker's fault! If a hiker wants a more remote/less crowded experience in GSMNP they might not pick the most hiked trail in GSMNP to hike - the AT OR to hike it when it is less used(week day, night, late fall, winter, EARLY spring, etc)? There are oodles of routes through GSMNP that include only some or even NONE of the AT that reconnect with the AT at both the northern and southern places where the AT enter GSMNP. If one does not want to experience throngs of tourists at Newfound Gap or Clingmans Dome then it is up to the hiker to NOT visit those places at time of peak usage. For example, visiting Newfound Gap and Clingmans Dome can be arranged for sunrise or sunset visits, a winter visit(breathtaking!), or hiking through at night stopping there during a clear summer sky. I have visited both these places under all these scenarios based on what I wanted to experience. It was up TO ME TO CHANGE MY PERSPECTIVE NOT THE TRAIL TO CHANGE TO MY DESIRES.

Nicely said.

Its kinda like Jerry Garcia said "Our band is like licorice. Not everybody likes licorice, but those that do REALLY like licorice".

I agree that you can and should find beauty through all parts of the AT instead of expecting the AT to meet YOUR expectations and wishes.

Ahh, OUILA! Amen. :cool::):banana

capehiker
12-31-2015, 10:04
In my travels, I concur with what has been a stereotype for decades: Northerners, on the average, are not as friendly, polite, cordial, as southern people. Even my 16 yr old son noticed this on a school trip . He was startled by the bruskness of people in hotel, museum, and food service industry by comparison to home.

I used to think that until I, a "Yankee", moved to Georgia and lived there for several years. I'm not saying that southerners turned out to be horrible people. What I am saying is that the whole southern hospitality schtick was very superficial and easy to see through after a few months.

capehiker
12-31-2015, 10:04

I used to think that until I, a "Yankee", moved to Georgia and lived there for several years. I'm not saying that southerners turned out to be horrible people. What I am saying is that the whole southern hospitality schtick was very superficial and easy to see through after a few months.

MuddyWaters
12-31-2015, 10:50
[QUOTE=capehiker;2029019]I used to think that until I, a "Yankee", moved to Georgia and lived there for several years. I'm not saying that southerners turned out to be horrible people. What I am saying is that the whole southern hospitality schtick was very superficial and easy to see through after a few months.[/QUOTE

When you sit down at the lowest waffle house down south, or walk into a hotel or store, a lowly paid employee greets you with a smile. asks how you are doing today, introduces themselves, and asks what they can do for you. Its just how things are done. Its not like they care.

full conditions
12-31-2015, 18:23
So, I'm originally from New England and I love my home country but after my thru hike in'76, I made up my mind to move down to the Southern Appalachians. I've never left and I have no regrets. This region has one of the greatest concentrations of biodiversity in North America (maybe the greatest depending on where you draw your boundaries) and a geological history that is both complex and directly connected to the biodiversity of the region. Because it doesn't have a timberline, the SA's don't usually get the oohs and aahs that the Whites and Maine get (though the high elevation balds run a close second), but if you're willing to slow down and look a little closer, what you'll discover is absolutely magical - more than 2000 species of flowering plants, 2000+ species of fungi, 200+ species of breeding birds, 30 species of salamanders - I could go on an on but the point is, is that these mountains harbor infinite discoveries around every corner. The combination of high, year-round rainfall, mild temperatures and the absence of a glacial period, make these mountains a living wonder for anyone willing to look more closely. But that, of course, is the rub isn't it? Most thru hikers look at the trail at the landscape level (partly because they just don't have time to examine every wildflower or lichen they encounter and partly because they don't know how to do anything else) not at the micro level. This might be where so many of the complaints about hiking in the "green tunnel" come from and our obsession with vistas and landmarks (mind you, I love a big view as much as the next guy). So that's it - these mountains have a vertical relief of better than 5000 feet, are soaked in rain and fog, ancienter than the dinosaurs, covered over every inch in green plants and fungi and harbor people who are slow talking, reserved, and kind - and I wouldn't trade for anything.

Traveler
01-01-2016, 07:29
To follow an old Aesop Fable, "people tend to be what you expect them to be" where ever you may go.

mudsocks
01-01-2016, 13:26
What about the 100 mile wilderness? Im not counting the logging road that runs through the wilderness. .

I hate to break it to you but the 100 mile wilderness is a bit of an illusion. The logging road you are probably thinking of is Jo-Mary road which is very active with all sorts of people. In fact two summers ago there was logging less than a mile from where the AT crosses Jo-Mary. Have a look at the HMW in Google Earth and you'll see the AT is just a narrow corridor with human activity on either side.

Northerners are always in a hurry, Southerners take their time and don't care if they ever get anywhere.

Funny story of when work sent me to ashville to look at some new equipment they were thinking of purchasing. Standing in the airport on the way back and my co-worker was bouncing around, all jittery and everyone else was so sedate and relaxed. The contrast was amazing.

I suspect that harsher winters in the North can explain the cultural difference. Looming winter conditions instill a sense of urgency.

daddytwosticks
01-01-2016, 13:48
So, I'm originally from New England and I love my home country but after my thru hike in'76, I made up my mind to move down to the Southern Appalachians. I've never left and I have no regrets. This region has one of the greatest concentrations of biodiversity in North America (maybe the greatest depending on where you draw your boundaries) and a geological history that is both complex and directly connected to the biodiversity of the region. Because it doesn't have a timberline, the SA's don't usually get the oohs and aahs that the Whites and Maine get (though the high elevation balds run a close second), but if you're willing to slow down and look a little closer, what you'll discover is absolutely magical - more than 2000 species of flowering plants, 2000+ species of fungi, 200+ species of breeding birds, 30 species of salamanders - I could go on an on but the point is, is that these mountains harbor infinite discoveries around every corner. The combination of high, year-round rainfall, mild temperatures and the absence of a glacial period, make these mountains a living wonder for anyone willing to look more closely. But that, of course, is the rub isn't it? Most thru hikers look at the trail at the landscape level (partly because they just don't have time to examine every wildflower or lichen they encounter and partly because they don't know how to do anything else) not at the micro level. This might be where so many of the complaints about hiking in the "green tunnel" come from and our obsession with vistas and landmarks (mind you, I love a big view as much as the next guy). So that's it - these mountains have a vertical relief of better than 5000 feet, are soaked in rain and fog, ancienter than the dinosaurs, covered over every inch in green plants and fungi and harbor people who are slow talking, reserved, and kind - and I wouldn't trade for anything.

Excellent sir! This fits to a tee my home turf. I have lived throughout many areas of the great USA over my lifetime. The southern appys is da best! :) :) :)

Marta
01-02-2016, 11:33
...Thee Smokies is the most visited national park in the country. I hardly consider that the most remote section of the trail. Clingmans Dome and Newfound Gap....??? So many day hikers and tourists....

Hiking out of season--and a SOBO is likely to be doing that--gives you the opportunity to be alone in a place that that attracts millions to view its beauty.

As a SOBO, the last few hundred miles felt to me like a victory lap. I could really cruise along and enjoy the act of walking. It helped, of course, that I was living in NC at the time and had already hiked everything south of the Grayson Highlands. The "spaghetti ice"--the crystals that push up out of the ground when it's cold--the ice crystals around the openings of rodent holes that make them look like geodes; the way rhododendron leaves are better than any thermometer to tell you how cold it is; the carpets of moss; the view from the ridgeline when the leaves are off the trees...it's pretty wonderful.

When I started in Maine in July I met plenty of NOBOs who were much more interested in getting it done than in enjoying the scenery. That's just part of the long-distance-hiking experience--a person can get very, very tired after a few months of daily hiking, and be ready to do something besides make miles every day, and yet be driven to finish the job long after the thrill is gone.

Reaching the end of any long journey is emotional. I don't hear PCT and CDT hikers dissing those trails because the termini are not in spectacular locations. They seem to get pretty emotional about reaching those little makers, and don't argue about whether the markers in the desert are more meaningful than the markers in the woods. :)

MuddyWaters
01-02-2016, 13:13

GSMNP is the largest unbroken wilderness, without roads, east of the Mississippi river. Also the longest stretch of AT without a road, a pitiful 39 miles or so.

Dogwood
01-02-2016, 17:54

Perspective! :sun