PDA

View Full Version : Guide book?

astafford
12-27-2015, 09:40
I'm ready to order my guide book. Which is the one most used? Thanks!

Sir Setsalot
12-27-2015, 09:53
I pre ordered my the other day. Awol's A.T.Guide 2016

Lone Wolf
12-27-2015, 10:09
I'm ready to order my guide book. Which is the one most used? Thanks!

AWOL's guide

bemental
12-27-2015, 10:12
AWOL's on paper, Guthook's on your phone.

Learn Free or Die
12-27-2015, 11:19
I just wrote a blog post about how I'm now using both AWOL on paper and Guthook on my phone.

Sarcasm the elf
12-27-2015, 11:28
What are you planing? I find that the ATC/ALDHA guide has more relevant information for section hiking, more trailhead and road crossing info and a layout that makes it easier to plan start and stop points. Plus proceeds of the purchase to towards supporting the non profit that oversees the A.T.

AWOL's guide seem set up for thru hiking specifically, just the info you need to know in order to resupply and pass through. My one criticism of his guide is the paper version is printed landscape so the binding is on the narrow end, this makes it more prone to getting crumpled up and damaged when repeatedly taking it in and out of your pack.

Whichever one you buy, if it's a paper copy, consider slicing down the spine to to separate it into 5 or 6 sectons, then only carry the section that you currently need.

Turk6177
12-27-2015, 11:46
You will probably hear it 100 times: AWOL's guide is the best.

Traveler
12-27-2015, 12:08
What are you planing? I find that the ATC/ALDHA guide has more relevant information for section hiking, more trailhead and road crossing info and a layout that makes it easier to plan start and stop points. Plus proceeds of the purchase to towards supporting the non profit that oversees the A.T.

AWOL's guide seem set up for thru hiking specifically, just the info you need to know in order to resupply and pass through. My one criticism of his guide is the paper version is printed landscape so the binding is on the narrow end, this makes it more prone to getting crumpled up and damaged when repeatedly taking it in and out of your pack.

Whichever one you buy, if it's a paper copy, consider slicing down the spine to to separate it into 5 or 6 sectons, then only carry the section that you currently need.

Agree with this. The ATC/ALDHA guide is more useful in my view. Plus has the added benefit of supporting the ATC with purchase.

Cotton Terry
12-27-2015, 23:36
AWOL's on paper, Guthook's on your phone.

same for me

saltysack
12-28-2015, 00:10
Agree with this. The ATC/ALDHA guide is more useful in my view. Plus has the added benefit of supporting the ATC with purchase.

For section hiking...this is sufficient for me on my iPhone....ALDHA ecompanion. Only really use for milages, water etc..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MuddyWaters
12-28-2015, 16:57
Either will work.

Now that thats said.

Why do you think AWOL's guide was started?

Because the companion had shortcomings.

They each do different things better. The companion contains a lot more information. Awols contains what you need to hike, in a convenient format.