PDA

View Full Version : Permethrin with nikwax

Goatgas
12-27-2015, 22:51
I'm going to treat tent and some clothes with permethrin and then use nikwax tent and gear solar protector. Anyone have issues with this combo? I'm going to treat with permethrin first.

Wise Old Owl
12-27-2015, 23:26
Uh no go with the solar first. Permethrin on a tent is really useless for most applications. I have been there and when you are doing clothing a soak is not the answer. Sawyer Spray on the outside is the way to go... let it dry... for days.

This is the short answer... to avoid a monthly OMG itch.

saltysack
12-28-2015, 00:12
I don't think it will do much as a tent will shed the permethrin.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Goatgas
12-28-2015, 01:34
Thought so about the tent, but clothes I will soak as it will last longer and cheaper than spray on.

Rain Man
12-29-2015, 10:45
Okay to treat the tent body, but useless to treat the tent rainfly as the Permethrin needs to soak into the fibers of the fabric and can't on water-proofed fabric.

burger
12-29-2015, 11:31
Can someone tell me what the point of spraying permethrin on your tent is? If your tent is closed, it's already bug proof. Theoretically, a treated tent will kill some bugs in the area, and then when you come out in the morning you might see a few less bugs, but once you take a few steps away from your campsite, it surely won't matter.

Bugs are a part of being outdoors. I don't understand why people need to feel like they're in their houses when they're in the wild.

Dogwood
12-29-2015, 22:10
LOL Burger, you're in need of another LD hike. When are we leaving? :D

Sandy of PA
12-29-2015, 22:13
Treating the bug netting greatly reduces the whining of the mosquitos outside of it. No point in treating the fly at all.

burger
12-29-2015, 23:37
LOL Burger, you're in need of another LD hike. When are we leaving? :D

Ha. As soon as I get 6 or 7 weeks off work to do the Arizona Trail. I know that you know that long-distance hiking is the best cure for winter crankiness.

Goatgas
12-30-2015, 23:37
Can someone tell me what the point of spraying permethrin on your tent is? If your tent is closed, it's already bug proof. Theoretically, a treated tent will kill some bugs in the area, and then when you come out in the morning you might see a few less bugs, but once you take a few steps away from your campsite, it surely won't matter.

Bugs are a part of being outdoors. I don't understand why people need to feel like they're in their houses when they're in the wild.

Ever hear of ticks ? I've seen first hand the effects Lyme disease. Military does it also, but what do they know. Bugs?... live in S Fl. they are everywhere. not a problem.

saltysack
12-30-2015, 23:51
Ever hear of ticks ? I've seen first hand the effects Lyme disease. Military does it also, but what do they know. Bugs?... live in S Fl. they are everywhere. not a problem.

Treating outer wear is a good idea, I'm definitely treating my cloths for my sup trip through the glades in March....shoot to complete the EC300. I've had tons of ticks on me in Fl but never had issue on the southern AT.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

burger
12-31-2015, 01:13

I've had Lyme disease, and I'm down with treating clothes. But I see zero benefit in treating your tent for tick prevention. Ditto for bugs.

RockDoc
12-31-2015, 11:22
I soaked everything but my underwear when I did the Maine AT in June/July a few years ago. Sprayed the tent down. Worked great. Bugs were not an issue at all, even wearing shorts and ss shirt. Met others who were in a cloud of bugs but not us.