PDA

View Full Version : Bus Service

dbright
12-28-2015, 12:32
Has anyone used Megabus service. I am looking to schedule my bus trip from Chicago to Atlanta on Feb 27th. :-?

Puddlefish
12-28-2015, 15:25
It's hard to say. Most of the review sites have horrible reviews, then again, so the review sites for Greyhound. There's a tendency for people only to complain about the negative, without bothering the review the average/positive.

That said, my daughter has taken Megabus a few times from NYC to Boston, and it's just been a typical uneventful bus ride.

Dogwood
12-28-2015, 16:37
Has anyone used Megabus service. I am looking to schedule my bus trip from Chicago to Atlanta on Feb 27th. :-?

Yes. If I have the choice I'd take Megabus over Greyhound for long trips such as you're contemplating. Megabus - IMO, in my experiences well run by, I think, the Chinese, more fastidious to schedule, routes w/usually fewer stops making long travel to end destination faster(I certainly don't want to stay on a bus for hrs more than I absolutely have to), also don't have all the transfers as many GHound LD routes require making travel to destination faster, cleaner buses, some CHEAP fares!, etc . But Megabus doesn't have the HUGE variety of routes and stations/drop off pts or infrastructure(connections with trains, other bus lines, etc) as Ghound.

I've been very satisfied with Megabus using them to get to/home from several hikes across the U.S. ie; Atlanta, New York City, Saratoga Springs NY, Minneapolis, Reno, LA, San Jose Ca, San Fran, Little Rock AR, Lexington KY, Dallas/Ft Worth, Knoxville TN, etc.

I can't be the service and fare for clean efficient bus travel with Megabus when I travel between Atlanta and New York City for $25!

Dogwood
12-28-2015, 16:43
It's hard to say. Most of the review sites have horrible reviews, then again, so the review sites for Greyhound. There's a tendency for people only to complain about the negative, without bothering the review the average/positive.

That said, my daughter has taken Megabus a few times from NYC to Boston, and it's just been a typical uneventful bus ride.

FWIW, that's what most riders want... an uneventful bus ride. With GHound I've experienced too many "EVENTS!"

Alligator
12-28-2015, 16:47
I have used them. Not too much different than Greyhound in terms of travel quality. The routes run faster as Dogwood stated, the stops are minimal. I prefer Megabus over Greyhound for this reason. I have used Megabus as one leg in multipart travel, for instance, taking the bus then the train.

George
12-28-2015, 17:01
for 10.50 $ how can you go wrong?

I did megabus in feb 14 to atlanta, at the time it was 2 legs chicago to nashville then to atlanta, I got it for a $ per leg and 50 cent fee - so 2.5 total - the suburban train to get downtown was 6.50$

bus rides are what you make of them - the experience cannot really be predicted, as it largely depends on who else is riding that day

for you the connections are reasonable all the way to gainsville
metra to union station for about 7$ - cross the street for bus stop - in atlanta about 3$ for the light rail to get the few miles to the amtrack, or walk since you have 4 hours then 14$ to gainsville - less than 40 $ and 24 hours Aurora to Gainsville, it will cost about the same to get the last 40 miles to amicalola

Dogwood
12-28-2015, 18:09
for 10.50 $ how can you go wrong?

I did megabus in feb 14 to atlanta, at the time it was 2 legs chicago to nashville then to atlanta, I got it for a $ per leg and 50 cent fee - so 2.5 total - the suburban train to get downtown was 6.50$

bus rides are what you make of them - the experience cannot really be predicted, as it largely depends on who else is riding that day

for you the connections are reasonable all the way to gainsville
metra to union station for about 7$ - cross the street for bus stop - in atlanta about 3$ for the light rail to get the few miles to the amtrack, or walk since you have 4 hours then 14$ to gainsville - less than 40 $ and 24 hours Aurora to Gainsville, it will cost about the same to get the last 40 miles to amicalola

OR, if you desire a night at the Dahlonega HIKER HOSTEL after that lengthy bus ride before your hike Take the MARTA Only to North Springs Station(SAFE, CLEAN, ETC, CONNECTS WITH BUSES TOO!) where the Hiker Hostel will pick you up. The Hiker Hostel has a reasonable rate for an ALL IN ONE package for AT hikers that includes pick up in the Atlanta area or in Gainesville GA, drop off at Amicalola Falls SP (the Approach Tr) or near Springer Mt., a bed, b-fast, and offers a ton of solid AT related HIKING advice in one of the best RUN HOSTELS I'VE EVER VISITED.

Prov
12-28-2015, 23:05
Just a FYI, flights between ORD and ATL have been unbelievably low lately. Spirit is selling one way tickets for $36 and a United ticket goes for $41. Three weeks ago I bought a $41 ticket 10 hours before the flight and hopped on the Pinhoti.

(Also, I used to take Megabus and had good experiences, but in recent years it has become a bit more greyhound-y).