PDA

View Full Version : Beat bags anything I need to know before buying?

kimbur96
12-28-2015, 12:49
I am wanting to do a section of the AT next year and plan to do some shake down hikes in my home state of Florida. Both require bear bags for hiking. Trying to do some research on the web, but also looking for first person advice. TIA

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

soumodeler
12-28-2015, 14:02
Go to ZPacks.com and order the bear bagging kit. You won't regret it.

MuddyWaters
12-28-2015, 14:38
all you need is 40-50' cord, a stuffsak, small carabiner, and google the PCT method on youtube.

You can buy light spectra cord, or use paracord or masons twine. Light weight is good. Its not required.

I use zpacks blast foodbag . Its all I ever wanted. Its the right shape (rectangular cross section) to go into a small lightweight pack without wasting room. One of mine was even custom sized to fit perfect in a circuit.

Berserker
12-28-2015, 14:42
all you need is 40-50' cord, a stuffsak, small carabiner, and google the PCT method on youtube.

You can buy light spectra cord, or use paracord or masons twine. Light weight is good. Its not required.
This pretty much sums it up. The one thing I'll add is that I highly recommend dyneema (also known as spectra) cord. I've used other materials, and they tend to bind on the branch when it's wet. Dyneema slides like it's been oil up even when wet. You can buy this type of cord cheap at a tree supply (i.e. tree supply as in saws, logging stuff, etc.) store.

soumodeler
12-28-2015, 14:42
Avoid paracord. When it gets wet, the outer part moves differently than the inner core and makes it harder to pull over branches. The dyneema slick line in the bear bag kit works great even when wet. So much easier to pull.