PDA

View Full Version : Recommendations for a 5 day hike in Georgia or NC

pterilli
12-28-2015, 22:17
Hi,

I'd like to do about a 5 day hike on the AT this summer (Late June or July). I would like to start my hike in either Georgia or NC. I live in FL and would like to drive to my start point and then get a ride back to my car. Does anyone have any offhand recommendations on where to start and end? From there I can research how to get back to my car. Thanks in advance!

MuddyWaters
12-28-2015, 22:23
1. Drive to end point and get a shuttle back to start point

2. NC will be cooler with higher elevations

3. Assuming 10-12 mpd, winding stair gap to fontana dam is a good section. High elev, several balds, noc and restaurant halfway

Farther north, roans rhododendron bloom in mid june is worth seeing

Then theres gsmnp

Uncle Joe
12-28-2015, 23:55
The GA Loop is 55mi. Perhaps a bit short and not a point-to-point.

AO2134
12-29-2015, 00:09
1. Drive to end point and get a shuttle back to start point

2. NC will be cooler with higher elevations

3. Assuming 10-12 mpd, winding stair gap to fontana dam is a good section. High elev, several balds, noc and restaurant halfway

Farther north, roans rhododendron bloom in mid june is worth seeing

Then theres gsmnp

+1. WSG to Stechoah Gap is my favorite section of the trail south of the Smokies. Siler Bald, Wayah Bald, Wesser Bald, Cheoah Bald. Simply amazing views. If you can plan your trip, camp on Siler Bald and Cheoah Bald. You wont regret it. Stecoah to Fontana is very forgettable though.

daddytwosticks
12-29-2015, 08:17
+1. WSG to Stechoah Gap is my favorite section of the trail south of the Smokies. Siler Bald, Wayah Bald, Wesser Bald, Cheoah Bald. Simply amazing views. If you can plan your trip, camp on Siler Bald and Cheoah Bald. You wont regret it. Stecoah to Fontana is very forgettable though.

Also agree with all of this. Stay at some higher elevations that time of year. I'd avoid the Smokies...just me. If you are hiking in the vicinity of the NOC, do some rafting. Great way to break up a hike. :)

Gambit McCrae
12-29-2015, 09:07
Great this about the AT is most of it is ridgeline so your at windy higher elev, but at same time you have canopy cover so its shady a lot of it. Don't get me wrong 90* is 90* but shade and wind do help. Being from Tampa I would say the temps wont really be bothersome. If you haven't done any of the trail thus far, why not start at Amicilola and hike north 5 days, probably be able to get thru GA and into NC a day

msoult
04-06-2016, 15:40
I'm wanting to do half the smokies May 29. -June 1st. We could shuttle each other???

KentuckyRed

JumpMaster Blaster
04-06-2016, 17:27
Just a thought, for a section like this it's probably easier to park where you're going to finish, get dropped off at a trailhead, and hike back to your car. That alleviates having to wait around for a shuttle if you finish early or having to nail down a precise pick up time or worrying about cell coverage.

Mr. Bumpy
04-06-2016, 19:14
Leave car at NOC. Get shuttled to Clingman's Dome and start there. Finishing at NOC is great because you have all facilities to wash up then get a meal, beer, etc. and get a good night sleep before driving home.

Stevep311
04-13-2016, 11:46
Leave car at NOC. Get shuttled to Clingman's Dome and start there. Finishing at NOC is great because you have all facilities to wash up then get a meal, beer, etc. and get a good night sleep before driving home.
does the NOC charge for leaving your car?

Stevep311
04-13-2016, 11:49
If interested in doing GA you can park at Dick's Creek Gap and get shuttled to Srpinger. It'd be about a 61 mile hike with a few road crossings if needed.