PDA

View Full Version : Kelty Redwing 4o usuable or not

kimbur96
12-29-2015, 10:11
this is the pack i have. I bought it for a trip to the grand canyon and used to hike to the bottom and back a couple of years ago. It fits me well and is comfortable. I am looking to do a section hike in 2016 and starting to research gear. I know i will have to purchase a lot of "new to me" gear but need to be financially conservative where I can. What's you opinion on this pack?
https://www.kelty.com/product/womens-redwing-40

kimbur96
12-29-2015, 10:12

Tuckahoe
12-29-2015, 10:24
If that is the pack that you have, then sure you can. I use a 50L pack myself. Consider lightweight gear and kit that compresses well and leave all the extra and/or bulky stuff at home.

colorado_rob
12-29-2015, 10:38
Awesome pack! I have the men's version and it has accompanied me on a zillion (well maybe a dozen) high mountain climbs. I did my first couple big climbs with my Redwing, and I call it my lucky pack, and I just kept using it until very recently. It might be my most comfortable backpack ever. Sure, a tad heavy, but it works. I still use it for travel.

Rain Man
12-29-2015, 10:40
IIRC, it's the pack Nimblewill Nomad used to hike the IAT, described in his book "Ten Million Steps." I used to have one, but gave it away on here to a needy hiker.

Just Tom
12-30-2015, 15:31
I use the 50 liter version often, 3 and a half pounds so not bad for the cost. Tremendous amount of pockets (MiniMo fits in the side pocket perfectly, and all the odds and ends in the other, mesh pockets will hold a Nalgene with ease, water filter in the top, front pocket holds map and essentials plus a rain jacket).

kimbur96
02-05-2016, 21:22
Awesome pack! I have the men's version and it has accompanied me on a zillion (well maybe a dozen) high mountain climbs. I did my first couple big climbs with my Redwing, and I call it my lucky pack, and I just kept using it until very recently. It might be my most comfortable backpack ever. Sure, a tad heavy, but it works. I still use it for travel.

when you used this pack did you end up attaching you tent or bag to the out side?

i just packed for an overnight trip starting tomorrow and that thing is stuffed to the gills. With food and water I'm at 22#. It's a group hike and there is no water source so they require you to carry a gallon. I have a 60oz hydration bladder and 2 Smartwater bottles so that is taking a little space but not much. Not much in the way of clothes, spare socks and long johns for night. There aren't any straps for attaching anything outside but i could easily add some. I think putting the tent on top is my best option for next time?

What's inside: tarptent moment DW, Feathered Friends Egret UL nano, neoair xlite, aero pillow, pocket rocket and 4oz canister, titan kettle, hat, gloves, 2 pair socks (expect wet trails and rain), two mountain house meals, some raisins and a biscuit.

MuddyWaters
02-05-2016, 21:26
this is the pack i have. I bought it for a trip to the grand canyon and used to hike to the bottom and back a couple of years ago. It fits me well and is comfortable. I am looking to do a section hike in 2016 and starting to research gear. I know i will have to purchase a lot of "new to me" gear but need to be financially conservative where I can. What's you opinion on this pack?

Actually, you dont need much gear, depending of time of year.
If you pack is comfortable and holds your stuff, its fine
Dont get caught up in buying a bunch of useless stuff.
You can hike farther and faster if you are lighter. Its not required be light to enjoy yourself. People did fine for many yrs with 50lb packs. A few even made it to Katahdin.

If you find you are hooked on it, then consider dropping money on newer lighter gear. Many give it a go, find it hard, and never hike again.

egilbe
02-05-2016, 21:38
Not a lot of food. You will probably need to strap something to the outside and it should be something you aren't afraid of losing, or something that is easily replaceble.

kimbur96
02-05-2016, 21:48
Not a lot of food. You will probably need to strap something to the outside and it should be something you aren't afraid of losing, or something that is easily replaceble.
food: should only be lunch, dinner and breakfast the next morning. So i did go pretty light. We won't be very far out and being in a group I'm not worried. If i were alone I'd want some extra food. Plus it wouldn't hurt me to skip a meal or two. Carrying a a few pounds.

The three bulkiest things are the tent, my sleeping bag, and the air mattress. None of which i would want to lose.

but this is why i am starting out with some simple overnight stuff, to try and figure out what's going to work.