PDA

View Full Version : New member planning first small section

Jonnysig
12-29-2015, 10:49
New member here. Planning my first section from Harpers Ferry to Gathland State Park. I've been reading some posts while my account got activated and I can clearly see the push for "hike your own hike". I get that and it makes sense. However I am still a new guy and have questions and this seems to be the place. I actually have a series of questions that I am seeking advice on. I will break it up as I don't want to flood my first post.

I am new to backpacking but not new to hiking. I have done small day trips my whole life and while in the military I walked and marched more than I ever thought imaginable. I was also stationed in Northern California for years and did plenty of day hiking up there. It was unbelievable. Well that was years ago. Since then I have been medically separated from the service (unfortunately) and have had 3 children. So with dedicating my time to family it's been a while since I've done any serious walking/hiking. My plan is to get back into shape, pursue the AT in sections (my own goal) and to slowly get my children involved and joining me (our family goal). I know it's only 10 miles but I have to start slow again due to some medical issues. I plan to start at Harpers Ferry, overnight with a friend at the Ed Garvey shelter, then finish the remaining 4 miles to Gathland. This kind of leads me to my initial questions I am looking for advice on.

1. Training and preparation/exercise. The trip is luckily way out towards the end of May. What exercises or workouts can I do now to help get trail fit? Besides hiking which I plan to do when I can. There's plenty of short trails around.

2. Should we plan to use a bear bag? Is a bear bag part of your gear at all times? I think I saw a bear box at the shelter but I don't want to rely on that in case it already in use by others.

3. As a new backpacker would I be okay starting with hiking shoes vs boots? Especially in late May it could be very warm so I'd like to stay cool and light with my hiking shoes. I am sure boots have their time and place but is HF to GSP that time and place??

Thank you in advance for any advice given. I look forward to hearing from some folks. I will keep reading and learning and preparing as much as I can. There is something about being in the woods, on a trail, in nature that is simply indescribable. That is what I love and that is what I am after. I know this is a good start.

John

hikernutcasey
12-29-2015, 12:26
Hello and welcome to the forum. I think what you are doing is a good way to introduce yourself to the AT and overnighting in general. I like that you are only doing a short trip as you can learn from it and gain the confidence to increase your mileage and number of days accordingly.

As far as your questions go, I would recommend just doing day hikes as you have mentioned. There is no better way to get ready to backpack than to actually go hiking. To go one step further, I would recommend putting some weight on your back while you do it. It doesn't have to be a full pack, just 20 or so pounds to get yourself used to the weight.

The bear bag question - You will hear from both sides on this one I'm sure. Many people hang their food no matter what and some never hang. I personally hang my food if I'm staying in or at a shelter just for the sake of others.

Shoes vs boots - another topic that has been debated on this forum ad nauseum. Personally, I wear trail runners on all my AT hikes and will never go back to a boot. They are more comfortable, dry faster and lighter. This section in particular would not warrant hiking in boots as you are walking on the tow path for a good ways and then once you make the ridge it is mostly flat over to Gathland.

Enjoy your hike and best of luck to you!

Jonnysig
12-29-2015, 13:21
Thank you! I have a perfect "20 pounds or so" to throw on my back and hike. My 2 year old son. I've hiked with him in the child carrier pack before in Berkeley Springs WV. It was awesome. I'll get started with him again to get used to the weight. Thanks again!

damskipi
12-29-2015, 16:03
Hi Jonnysig, I am also an experienced day hiker trying to get into backpacking. So take this for what it's worth, but even on day hikes of 15+ miles I've never used boots. I've always been in trail runners and it's always worked for me.

Studlintsean
12-29-2015, 16:35
Welcome to Whiteblaze. I have hiked in this area a few times so I thought I would throw in my $0.02.

1. I would do some hiking like you mentioned and also some other cardio and strength training if possible.
2. I always carry thin line (Kelty Triptease) and a small caribeaner to hang my food. There are plenty of places to hang it at Ed Garvey.
3. Hiking shoes (or even tennis shoes) will do just fine.

One final thought, have you considered starting a few miles further north (maybe Turner's Gap at US40) and hiking South so you can end in Harper's Ferry? The hike down from Weaverton Cliffs might be a bit more relaxing and you can end your hike in town with a bite to eat. Just a thought. Enjoy the trip.

Gambit McCrae
12-29-2015, 16:38
Welcome and thank you for your service!

1. Training and preparation/exercise. The trip is luckily way out towards the end of May. What exercises or workouts can I do now to help get trail fit? Besides hiking which I plan to do when I can. There's plenty of short trails around.

As you said, hike. That is number one best. secondly is running, I am not always the most responsible with this exercise as I slack on it with depleting determination. BUT, I am a firm believer that if you can run 5 miles, you can walk all day on the AT and be fine.

2. Should we plan to use a bear bag? Is a bear bag part of your gear at all times? I think I saw a bear box at the shelter but I don't want to rely on that in case it already in use by others.

This is a personal choice, I choose not to. Only in the Smokies and Georgia have I hung my food bag, which is a waterproof roll top bag. If there are cables, I hang it, if not I sleep with it (I also have a pit bull so bears never come around). I would like to add though that shelters and bear boxes can support multiple groups, first group to s shelter does not get to "claim" the entire shelter, just their spot for sleeping.

3. As a new backpacker would I be okay starting with hiking shoes vs boots? Especially in late May it could be very warm so I'd like to stay cool and light with my hiking shoes. I am sure boots have their time and place but is HF to GSP that time and place??

I hike in shoes year round, if snow is so deep that I need boots, im staying home.

Thank you in advance for any advice given. I look forward to hearing from some folks. I will keep reading and learning and preparing as much as I can. There is something about being in the woods, on a trail, in nature that is simply indescribable. That is what I love and that is what I am after. I know this is a good start.

John

Kaptainkriz
12-29-2015, 16:51
Jonnysig, I see you are in Southern Maryland. :)
A good practice hike is around St. Mary's Lake south of Leonardtown. It is 7.5 miles around with some ups and downs. Trail runners are fine, you really don't need boots for this part of the trail IMHO. I recently did the section from Harpers to Gathland and it was a lot of fun. The 1st couple miles from Harpers to the base of the cliffs is perfectly flat. Getting up Weverton is the steepest part, and it's not bad. Just take your time going up. Once up top, the trail is reletively wide and easy, with not much grade change all the way to Gathland Park. There is excellent parking at both ends of this section. Ed Garvey shelter is very nice. The bear wire is broken at the shelter and there is no box or pole. The brown box sometimes there is locked, and not for storing food...I think it is a tool box. Bring 50' of line and a bag, there is an easy hang up from the shelter where the broken wire is. Water is .4 downhill from the shelter. Between Ed Garvey and Gathland, don't miss the Glenn Caveney wilderness memorial on the right:
I think you have seen the video I did of the area, here is a link to the photos:
https://goo.gl/photos/gLFWgkisdsuzot5M6

http://youtu.be/AQ-47pYdyEs

SkeeterPee
12-29-2015, 23:19
We started our first AT hiking in that section. You sound like you have a good plan. We stopped for lunch at that shelter and it seem like a nice one. I believe the water source is a good ways down a path, but that seems common. Like was mentioned you will have a steep climb to the Weverton Cliffs, but it is down hill to Gathland state park. there is a nice campground about a .5 mile from Gathland. Maple Tree houses. They rent tree houses or you can tent camp if at some time you want to take the family back and do day hikes.

I am sure I am over kill on the bear bag, but I put my food in an OP (odor proof bag) inside of a URSAK which I can hang or tie to a tree 50 yards from where I camp if I can't find a place to hang. In MD, you have to camp at the shelters or designated campsites so there will probably be a place to hang food.

CoconutTree
12-30-2015, 11:09
For training, any sort of walking is good. Particularly useful is uneven terrain to strengthen your feet and ankles. Uphills without steps to stretch out your calves and strengthen your achilles. Downhills to strengthen you knees and the support muscles around your knees. A long walk without breaks can also help with your stamina, long being relative to your finess level. Walking on rocky terrain can be good for balance. I would suggest as a starting point to do 1 challenging hike/walk per week and 1 relaxed hike/walk per week, and do that for at least 6 weeks. Don't forget to stretch after your hike.

Beyond walking/hiking, anything using your legs is good: running, bicycle, tennis, frisbee, soccer, golf, dancing, etc. Even a non leg activity like swimming might help your cardiovascular system. Then there is strength training, there are some workouts for hikers online, but i normally just look for activities i enjoy. Pushups however are good to help you catch yourself during a fall. I had a minor wrist sprain last week during a fall on a hike, but i think it would have been worse if i hadn't been doing pushups.

Jonnysig
12-30-2015, 13:55
Thanks everyone for the input. I cant wait to get out there.

Kaptainkriz, yup I'm in SOMD. I work at Pax River Naval Station. I am familiar with St. Mary's Lake. I hiked about half of it once with my twins in a jogging stroller. Lets just say the roots got the best of us. But it was fun and a nice lake for sure. I will be heading back. I couldn't help but notice your hat in the photos. Do you work at the base? I see you're in Leonardtown. Not far at all. Maybe in the future we can hit a trail together. Thanks again!

Kaptainkriz
12-30-2015, 20:51
Yep, I work there too. :)

Thanks everyone for the input. I cant wait to get out there.

Kaptainkriz, yup I'm in SOMD. I work at Pax River Naval Station. I am familiar with St. Mary's Lake. I hiked about half of it once with my twins in a jogging stroller. Lets just say the roots got the best of us. But it was fun and a nice lake for sure. I will be heading back. I couldn't help but notice your hat in the photos. Do you work at the base? I see you're in Leonardtown. Not far at all. Maybe in the future we can hit a trail together. Thanks again!

Malto
12-30-2015, 22:18
as Lone Wolf likes to say it just walking. So, to prep for hiking (walking) walk, especially if you enjoy it. Bear bags, not for me in the east. I will out west. on shoes vs. Boots, I made the switch to trail runners years ago and there is no looking back.

Welcome to Whiteblaze.

Scrum
12-30-2015, 22:42
Have fun. When I started backpacking my first reaction was "this much fun, and it is free!"

1. Exercise - Like Malto said, walking is great. If you want something a bit more intense, you can combine hiking with running by going for some short trail runs. If inside, put the treadmill at the highest angle possible and work at a brisk pace for an hour.

2. Few people seem to use bear bags. Hanging food has always worked for me.

3. Boots if you have weak ankles, otherwise shoes are fine. You can get very light boots with good ankle support.

4. You did not ask about it, but I'll throw in a vote for hiking polls. Really saves the knees on the down hills.

Moosling
12-31-2015, 00:13
Welcome to White blaze!!!

As far as working out I too have a nearly 2 year old so I love the idea of hiking with him on your back this will really help a lot. Seriously my whole life I've been extremely active hiking skate boarding playing hockey with very little sleep In between. I've found though that a simple walk everyday even just a mile or 2 can do wonders for how you feel physically so definitely try to walk even if it's flat ground.

Bear bag, my opinion is simple, it might not be needed but the day you don't hang your food a bear will show up. Heck I've never seen a bear on the AT but in my opinion if you are going to get into backpacking hang your food, might as well get used to it. Look up some YouTube videos on the PCT hanging method.

Shoes or Boots?
Personally I like shoes, but as others have said if you feel like you might need some more ankle support go for the boots, whatever it more comfortable for you, I like the breath ability of shoes though.

Again welcome and have fun!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk