PDA

View Full Version : Ecotat TMP

War Chief
12-30-2015, 16:14
I couldn't find another thread on this, so here goes:

I've got an Ecotat TMP multipurpose tent/shelter/rain gear setup. It serves as a one-person tent in either cold weather or tropical configurations. It can also be worn as a poncho/long coat/short coat/sit shelter.

Weight is 4 pounds, and it stows to 17 inches by 5 inches in the included stuff sack.

In my experience with it, it is a very weather-resistant tent and a capable piece of rain gear. In the 'long coat' configuration, it can act as a rain kilt, hanging to my ankles (I'm 5'8"). As a 'short coat', it hangs nearly to my knees.

Being designed for military use, it is very overbuilt, and the 4 pound weight for a single-person tent reflects this. That said, the extra weight is somewhat offset by not having to carry rain gear, ground tarp, etc.

It is modular-capable, as two TMPs can be linked together to form a three-person shelter.

It doesn't come with instructions (at least mine didn't), and the instructions available at the manufacturer website http://www.combatreform.org/ECOTATSYSTEMS/ecotattmp.htm suck. It takes quite a bit of trial-and-error to get a firm grip on how it works.

FWIW

Cheyou
12-30-2015, 16:33
I'm not a fan of tube tents /bivy tent . Hard to get dressed , get in,can't sit-up , and unless u keep them open moisture can b a problem on the damp East coast. eureka sells a tent like that . It's not a poncho but lighter by 2 lbs. it can b bought at the factory store used cheep. I used one bike packing . It never leaked a drop .

Thom

War Chief
12-30-2015, 16:55
The Ecotat is well vented, even in cold weather configuration, but it's still 4 pounds...

Cheyou
12-30-2015, 17:36
I prefer a shaped tarp . One lb for the whole kit . kinda like a USMC shelter half . Only lighter and works better. My days of humping a prc77 are long gone . It's much more fun hiking with 18 lbs kit with food and water.

Thom

War Chief
12-30-2015, 19:16
My days of humping a prc77 are long gone.

Mine too. Thank God!