WV-short
MD-Historic
PA-Rocks?
Nj-Ny-Bears?
CT-Mass-deceiving
VT-mud?
NH-intense?
ME-Wild?

I put ?'s nest to states i havent visited yet!

Sarcasm the elf
12-30-2015, 22:24
CT - Kent :o
NY - Deli

MuddyWaters
12-30-2015, 22:25
no message

Scrum
12-30-2015, 22:28
NH - Fun!
ME - Done!

Sarcasm the elf
12-30-2015, 22:30
You are missing Massachusett

I have one word for MA, but I'm not going to say it! :D

-Sent from my iphone by a lifelong Connecticut resident

egilbe
12-30-2015, 22:41
Ha! No one misses massachessetts

Scrum
12-30-2015, 22:45

That is a bit much coming from someone located in Lewiston (the other "LA"). :)

Sarcasm the elf
12-30-2015, 22:52

I would argue that the ten or so miles From Sages Ravine in CT to Jug End in Southern Mass is one of the most scenic sections of trail in all of southern new england.

Gambit McCrae
12-30-2015, 23:04
I would argue that the ten or so miles From Sages Ravine in CT to Jug End in Southern Mass is one of the most scenic sections of trail in all of southern new england.

Ive been told salibisbury to 15 miles north is the hardest south of the whites yay or nay?

and i enjoy the state to state love lol

Sarcasm the elf
12-30-2015, 23:08
Ive been told salibisbury to 15 miles north is the hardest south of the whites yay or nay?

I wish I could tell you, but I've only done as far as Grelylock. Hoping to finish MA and do about half of VT this summer...emphasis on Hoping.

Personally I found Southern NY to be especially hard, mostly because the topo/profile maps make it look so deceptively easy.

BonBon
12-30-2015, 23:38
More than one word per state-
Georgia-beer goggles-hello beautiful
NC-Hangover- this is harder than I thought
TN-soakies soaked me
VA- L-o-n-g (and sometimes boring) Hello cheeseburgers in the Shennies *** with the roller coaster
WV halfway yay! or - only HALFWAY????
MD- easy easy- flat tent spots and did I mention easy
PA- 2/3 easy and beautiful and 1/3 REALLY annoying-enough to make you forget the easy-gigantic berries on the superfund site make you glow-beds with crabs (Doyle)
NJ- surprisingly beautiful (not like in the Sopranos)
NY- very dry! No water or yellow water- beautiful- worst pizza on the AT (sorry) taxis in the most unlikely places as well as unlikely zoos
CT- sprained ankles slippery rocks trudgery (I know thats not a word)
VT- beautiful- surprisingly easy- great beer and burger stop at the Inn-lightning strike
NH-beautiful but stuck up
Maine- Gorgeous, hard in a fun way, lush, fragrant, rugged, the grand finale for a reason, redemption.

Sarcasm the elf
12-30-2015, 23:47
TN-soakies soaked me
VA- L-o-n-g (and sometimes boring) Hello cheeseburgers in the Shennies *** with the roller coaster
PA- 2/3 easy and beautiful and 1/3 REALLY annoying-enough to make you forget the easy-gigantic berries on the superfund site make you glow-beds with crabs (Doyle)
NY- very dry! No water or yellow water- beautiful- worst pizza on the AT (sorry) taxis in the most unlikely places as well as unlikely zoos
VT- beautiful- surprisingly easy- great beer and burger stop at the Inn-lightning strike
Maine- Gorgeous, hard in a fun way, lush, fragrant, rugged, the grand finale for a reason, redemption.

Okay, I had told myself to stop replying because I'm posting too much in this thread, but where the heck did you get terrible pizza in NY? Are you basing this on one bad place, or do you just not appreciate NY pizza?

BonBon
12-30-2015, 23:50
Ha! Just one place. But the only place I had pizza in New York. The pizza was really built up so I had high expectations. Same town as the zoo. I don't know if it is customary in New York to put a layer of heavy basil on top of the cheese- but thats what I got and it was meh.

Dogwood
12-30-2015, 23:52
Georgia- Blood
NC- flowers, rhododendrons, Roan
TN- National Park
VA- humid, Damascus, ponies, pizza
WV- Done, Harpers Ferry
MD- overlook, war games
PA-Rocks n Roll
NJ- Jawzee, DWG, High Point, Vernon
NY- Hudson, Bear
CT-Housatonic
MA -slackpack, Greylock
VT- evergreens
NH- climb, Whites, Franconia ridge walk, Jack Tarlin, Dartmouth, Washington
ME- gorgeous, 100 miles, BSP, moose

Sarcasm the elf
12-30-2015, 23:53
Ha! Just one place. But the only place I had pizza in New York. The pizza was really built up so I had high expectations. Same town as the zoo. I don't know if it is customary in New York to put a layer of heavy basil on top of the cheese- but thats what I got and it was meh.
Probably just the one place, NY pizza is usually great...though in my opinion (and that of food critics) some CT pizza is better.

Just Tom
12-30-2015, 23:56
Probably just the one place, NY pizza is usually great...though in my opinion (and that of food critics) some CT pizza is better.

Damn straight, and I grew up in NY with good pizza there too

Sarcasm the elf
12-31-2015, 00:08
Damn straight, and I grew up in NY with good pizza there too

I live 25 minutes from Pepe's, Sally's, and Modern. I live 15 From Roseland in Derby. If you've never tried Roseland I suggest you do, it never makes the national rankings but the food is just as good. Get the "grated red" pizza for starters. Unfriendly oldschool Italian service? check. Non-conforming building in a residential neighborhood? check. Amazing coal (wood?) fired pizza that burns the pizza half the time because that's the way it's supposed to be? Check!!! I would have recommend their Gnocchi, but I think they stopped making it when the matriarch of the family retired.

Just Tom
12-31-2015, 00:13
I live 25 minutes from Pepe's, Sally's, and Modern. I live 15 From Roseland in Derby. If you've never tried Roseland I suggest you do, it never makes the national rankings but the food is just as good. Get the "grated red" pizza for starters. Unfriendly oldschool Italian service? check. Non-conforming building in a residential neighborhood? check. Amazing coal (wood?) fired pizza that burns the pizza half the time because that's the way it's supposed to be? Check!!! I would have recommend their Gnocchi, but I think they stopped making it when the matriarch of the family retired.

I'll check it out, I'm in the general neighborhood. Thanks!

Just Tom
12-31-2015, 00:17
Georgia-Up-n-Down
NC-ridge
TN-Balds
VA- bridges
WV-short
MD-Historic
PA-Rocks?
Nj-Ny-Bears?
CT-Mass-deceiving
VT-mud?
NH-intense?
ME-Wild?

I put ?'s nest to states i havent visited yet!

I'm curious to know what "deceiving" means? I've found CT (not my original home state, but my current home state) to be surprisingly diverse on the AT. You can see a little bit of everything in just 50 or so miles.

BirdBrain
12-31-2015, 01:10
Maine - Home
NH - Whites
Vermont - Green

Alligator
12-31-2015, 01:51
Ha! Just one place. But the only place I had pizza in New York. The pizza was really built up so I had high expectations. Same town as the zoo. I don't know if it is customary in New York to put a layer of heavy basil on top of the cheese- but thats what I got and it was meh.You might have ordered or mistakenly received a margherita pizza (or some other specialty). It is not customary at all otherwise.

Malto
12-31-2015, 06:48

not even close

BonBon
12-31-2015, 08:27
You might have ordered or mistakenly received a margherita pizza (or some other specialty). It is not customary at all otherwise.

I ordered a plain cheese pizza. T eat a few slices and pack out the rest. But-in defense of NY food- the sandwiches were amazing everywhere! CT too.

Gambit McCrae
12-31-2015, 09:19
I'm curious to know what "deceiving" means? I've found CT (not my original home state, but my current home state) to be surprisingly diverse on the AT. You can see a little bit of everything in just 50 or so miles.

When planning for my trip up there the topos and trail terrain were nothing like what I experienced. Roots, rock scrambling down lions head or maybe it was Mt Race?.. The one with the big ol pile of rocks on top! lol

Just looked it up...Bear Mountain CT, it was a bear on north side

Gambit McCrae
12-31-2015, 09:20
not even close

Do you have a suggestion or just a rebuttal? lol

Just Tom
12-31-2015, 11:56
When planning for my trip up there the topos and trail terrain were nothing like what I experienced. Roots, rock scrambling down lions head or maybe it was Mt Race?.. The one with the big ol pile of rocks on top! lol

My first trip to Bear Mountain I didn't know any better and came from the north so I had to climb up that north side, between Christmas and New Year so it was icy as heck. I admit to being a bit fearful during the climb.

Seatbelt
12-31-2015, 13:47
TN-soakies soaked me

So, you skipped Mass?? or just no words can describe it??:)

runt13
12-31-2015, 13:53
Georgia-golf carts
NC- Colliers Harley Davidson
TN- Bristol
VA- Wytheville
WV- The only section i have completed
MD-
PA- Rocks
NJ- HOME
NY- Catskills
CT- Groton
VT-Maple syrup
NH-Mt Washington
ME-Alagash

RUNT ''13''

Just Bill
12-31-2015, 16:10
Ga- t
nc- o
tn- t
va- a
wv- l
md-l
pa- y
nj- a
ny- w
ct- e
ma- s
vt- o
nh-m
me- e

Dogwood
12-31-2015, 16:46
My first trip to Bear Mountain I didn't know any better and came from the north so I had to climb up that north side, between Christmas and New Year so it was icy as heck. I admit to being a bit fearful during the climb.

I have not seen it yet in person but some of the trail in the area was recently amended.

dudeijuststarted
12-31-2015, 17:25
GA - rolling
NC - smoky
TN - rednecky
VA - flat
WV - colonial
MD - brief
PA - underrated
NJ - ticks
NY - rattlers
CT - ledges
MA - levardi
VT - perfect
NH - benevolent
ME - surreal

adamkrz
12-31-2015, 17:46

Going up or down Mt Everitt in southern Mass. when wet is a real tough.

Pajj
01-01-2016, 03:02
GA - New
NC - Smokies
TN - Norovirus
VA - Home
MD - Easy
WVA - "Half-way"
PA - ROCKS
NJ - Swamps
NY - Strenuous
CT - New England!
MA - Pine Trees and Tom Levardi
VT - Mud
NH - Exposed
ME - Bittersweet

takethisbread
01-02-2016, 10:49
Ga-holiday inn Hiawasee
NC-Ron Haven
TN-mountain harbour hostel
VA-Wayne's Lanes
WV-teahorse
MD-free state hostel
PA-Doyle
NJ-high point country inn
NY- lake tirioti
Ct-Kent
MA-Cheshire church
VT-catamount inn
Nh-Marriott in Hanover
ME-4 days at Pine Ellis Lodge in Andover

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BonBon
01-02-2016, 12:37
So, you skipped Mass?? or just no words can describe it??:)
Whoops!
MA-Shhhhh-Levardi...cookie lady...mud...awesome little towns

Jeff
01-02-2016, 13:28
Have seen several references to Tom Levardi in Massachusetts.

Saw that his notation in AWOL's Guide has been removed for 2016. I know he had some trouble with a few hikers last year. My understanding is he will be very selective this year.

Jeff
01-02-2016, 13:29

ATaBoy
01-02-2016, 13:49
Texas-trail dont
go thru here

Pajj
01-02-2016, 16:12
That's a shame about Tom. What an amazing guy he was.

BonBon
01-02-2016, 17:04
Have seen several references to Tom Levardi in Massachusetts.

Saw that his notation in AWOL's Guide has been removed for 2016. I know he had some trouble with a few hikers last year. My understanding is he will be very selective this year.

He was a really nice guy- and very obviously stressed out about noise. He told us that the day before we were there a group of hikers refused to keep the noise level down and f-bombed him repeatedly when he told them they had to leave. It is hard to understand why folks would behave that way when they are being offered a free stay with free phone charging in someones yard. I heard about this rowdy group all the way up the trail- they left a pretty big wake of unhappy town people- but I never met them.

Tractor
01-02-2016, 18:07
GA - Dry (when I was there)
NC - Jacob
TN - Home
VA - Long
WV - What
MD - Quick
PA - Trains
NJ - Bears
NY - KaiserRolls
CT - BullsBridge
MS - Birdcage
VT - Inn
NH - Windy
ME - Next!

shelb
01-02-2016, 20:48
VA: Bears
WV: Harpers Ferry
MD: History
PA: Fields then Rocks
NJ: Boardwalk

Need to walk in the others before I can post!

tiptoe
01-03-2016, 15:57
GA - trudge
NC - rules (the smokies)
TN - balds
VA - scenic
WV - history
MD - war
PA - rocks
NJ - bears
NY - deli
CT - home