PDA

View Full Version : your thoughts on Western Mountaineering sleeping bag...

DLANOIE
12-11-2005, 10:31
Im planning on using my new caribou mf for a 2006 SOBO thru. Its rated to 35. Im planning also on using thermal underwear and adding a lightweight bag liner to my sleep setup. With my Thermarest Z-lite pro short will all this keep me warm in a HH Asym UL for my hike?
I think the setup I have will be great, but I was wondering about experiences and such....

Kerosene
12-11-2005, 11:33
You will need additional insulation, ideally an underquilt, to stay warm below 40 or 50 with this setup in a hammock. Several hammockers on this site may solely rely on closed-cell foam, but the pads are likely to be wider (so it wraps around your shoulders to insulate the cold spots), and longer (your feet will eventually get cold without insulation under/around them). If you do go the pad route, you may need a thicker pad or an extra pad as it nears freezing, and you'll want to make sure that your thermal underwear doesn't easily compress and lose its insulative properties when a portion of your body compresses your down bag against the side of the hammock.

jackiebolen
12-11-2005, 13:55
Beyond a certain point, it doesn't really matter how warm your sleeping bag is in a hammock. Most body heat will be lost through the bottom, with either your head or limbs or body touching the bottom of the hammock as you sleep.

But, Western Mountaineering bags are generally considered the best bags out there. I don't have one, but everyone I know who does is happy with it.

Cheesewhiz
12-11-2005, 16:01
I have a 15 deg badger that I love for winter camping in a tent. (the best down bag I ever had hands down. It keeps me warm as all get out but agreed, it does not matter what temp rating your bag is. it is all about loft and when you lay in a hammock all loft is lost on the under side there for creating "cold spots". the best way to aleviate these cold spots is with a under quilt and/or a pad. I prefer an underquilt after months of wrestling with a pad in the hammock trying to get into a sleeping bag. this fumbleing around is what converted me to the quilt on top as well with a weather cover as well for the dense fogs that roll in.

Seeker
12-12-2005, 13:44
i've got the same bag... used it with a JRB underquilt down to about 35*F with a 3/8" foam pad inside, and wearing long johns, socks, and a hat... depending on your body, YMMV. like someone else said, the greatest heat loss is through the bottom... but the bag and the underquilt are solid performers...

DLANOIE
12-14-2005, 20:17
Thank you. Ive been considering buying the nest uder quilt, but ive been hesitating due to the funds availability issue.

I hope its a good Christmas! hahaha

DLANOIE
12-14-2005, 20:22
IM planning on wearing long underwear, socks, pants, jacket while in the bag to help stave the cold. Also I could use my pack under my legs to keep my lower body warm. Anyone tried this technique and is it comfortable?

Old Spice
12-14-2005, 21:36
i just bought one of these bags myself. i'll keep all of these comments in mind for this spring. danke.

hopefulhiker
12-15-2005, 11:47
I have a semi rectangular WM Ponderosa bought on sale. The thing is a Furnace! It is rated at 15 degrees but I was never cold. It is an overkill.. Too heavy for the AT unless you are just too fat to fit in a mummy. But WM bags are among the very best. I have heard no complaints.

Seeker
12-15-2005, 12:20
IM planning on wearing long underwear, socks, pants, jacket while in the bag to help stave the cold. Also I could use my pack under my legs to keep my lower body warm. Anyone tried this technique and is it comfortable?

the extra layers are good, as long as they don't restrict your circulation...

pack use depends on how you sleep (side or back) and how thick it is... i have a Golite Gust... there's nothing to it... it lays almost flat under me, and works fine for a little extra insulation in my hammock (knees or feet). if you have some sort of really robust pack, it might be better to put it under your knees while you sleep on your back... if you're a side sleeper, it may not be useful at all...