PDA

View Full Version : Bivy/Down Question

BenOnAdventures
12-31-2015, 19:07
Hey adventurers, I hope all of you have an awesome New Year! This is my question: Do you think I'd need a bivy to go along with my Enlightened Equipment Enigma Down Quilt or not as long as I set up my shelter properly (SMD Deschutes Plus).? Thanks for all the advice, tips, etc!

BenOnAdventures
12-31-2015, 19:12
I've been just researching so I was wondering. I just didn't wanna ruin my down quilt. Thanks!

BenOnAdventures
12-31-2015, 19:16
Sorry if the question sounds dumb or isn't worded properly. I just wasn't sure how to ask.

Hikes in Rain
12-31-2015, 19:20
Without knowing anything about your shelter, I'd say most likely not. I've used my down bag with just a tarp, and been fine. Just make sure you're out of the rain and none splashes in.

bemental
12-31-2015, 20:47
I personally sleep under an 8x10 cuben tarp and also have a bivy, just in case. I like knowing that I'm not going to get wet (and it also has the no-see-um mesh so I can wrap up tight when the bugs come a knocking)

MuddyWaters
12-31-2015, 21:28
You might want one for cowboy camping , but then you are getting kind of heavy for combined weight .
You really dont need one. You can pitch the opening pretty low, and If you ever get rain coming from the wrong direction into your tarp, you can put your pack, sleeping pad, etc along that side to block it from you. OR take a ground sheet big enoug that the center can be pulled upwards and tied off to your pole, to create a barrier on that side.

I slept in my deschutes in a night of thunderstorms and downpours back in Oct. Stayed perfectly dry.

Cheyou
12-31-2015, 21:40
No bivy needed. I use window film for a ground sheat

thom

Cheyou
12-31-2015, 21:50
Often have condensation problems with a bivy. Bug Bivy is nice can use it in shelter if needed.

Thom

BenOnAdventures
01-01-2016, 01:53
Ok sweet thank you all for the awesome answers! Have a happy new year!

takethisbread
01-01-2016, 20:31
Hey adventurers, I hope all of you have an awesome New Year! This is my question: Do you think I'd need a bivy to go along with my Enlightened Equipment Enigma Down Quilt or not as long as I set up my shelter properly (SMD Deschutes Plus).? Thanks for all the advice, tips, etc!

No you will not need a bivy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Weather-man
01-01-2016, 22:43
The SMD Deschutes Plus is a floorless tarp, no? What's your plan for when you make camp in a rain storm and the ground is wet or muck? Tyvek or polycro will work but have a plan because it'll happen. Another pricier option are the Cuben ground sheets (Z-Pack). The twin is about $120.

Edit: The reason that I mentioned the Cuben ground sheet from Z packs is that it's a bath tub design and the corners and sides can be propped up with sticks or stakes. It's also very light.

To answer your question re polycro below. I've used it, it's light and I don't care for it.

BenOnAdventures
01-02-2016, 15:50
Thanks for all the advice! I heard before that the plastic you put over windows during winter time could be a better groundsheet than tyvek, what do you all think of that? I've seen it posted on several other threads, sites, etc. Thanks!

MuddyWaters
01-02-2016, 16:19
Better? No.
Lighter? yes.