PDA

View Full Version : Which 3L Platypus Model For An AT Thru Hike

Googan
01-01-2016, 02:36
I'm looking for your advice on which model 3platypus to get? I will have a sawyer mini as well as aqua mira as a backup in case something happens to the mini.

Pajj
01-01-2016, 02:47
I would just carry two smart water bottles, then an extra 1 liter bag for the longer stretches. Water is not scarce on the AT! You will usually be able to find water every few miles.

Googan
01-01-2016, 03:29
I would just carry two smart water bottles, then an extra 1 liter bag for the longer stretches. Water is not scarce on the AT! You will usually be able to find water every few miles.
is there a specific model you'd recommend for an AT thru hike?

egilbe
01-01-2016, 11:13
Smart water bottles. I use gatorade or powerade bottles and they are easily replaced at gas stations

Odd Man Out
01-01-2016, 11:46
I use two Evernew bladders (900 mL each). The Evernew threads match the filter perfectly. Have two bladders provides a backup in case one fails. I use Gatorade bottles for drinking. Don't like suckling from a hose.

Pajj
01-01-2016, 11:48
Platypus brand work good, though they will probably need replcaing along the way

squeezebox
01-01-2016, 12:09
I have a 2 L bag because it fits horizontal in my bag, 3 L does not.

Cheyou
01-01-2016, 12:14
I liked having extra water storage if I wanted it . Sometimes water source is 1/2 mile down hill from a shelter/ tent site. A empty dry bag or plastic bag works for washing up/ dishes/clothes.

thom

01-01-2016, 17:45
I only like to go to a water source once so I take the platypus and fill with dirty water. I purchased the $8.95 kit from sawyer to make the platypus into a gravity system and fill up 2 or 3 smartwater bottles for dinner, breakfast and to start the next day with. AND it is more fuel efficient to boil 40-50 degree water than the spring water that is ice cold. I also started with the mini and it clogged to often so I much preferred the regular size. I buy the 2l size that comes with the mouth piece and hose and also use the sawyer bags. They will all leak so plan on replacing them! I did tape up my last new one at all the places it has leaked and it has lasted the longest.