PDA

View Full Version : REI Garage Sale January 2nd 2016

damskipi
01-01-2016, 12:31
I know there are mixed feelings about the Garage Sales but I've been to two so far and have found some excellent bargains. I'll be heading there tomorrow. Anybody else going? I'm not looking for anything in particular but it'd be nice to get some new clothing.

Rain Man
01-01-2016, 13:22
Am almost always on a hike the first weekend of year, but not tomorrow, so I'll hit REI for sure. Besides, got REI gift cards for Christmas!

I too have found some wonderful bargains at past "garage sales" at REI.

BTW, my daughter used to work at the Colorado Springs REI. :)

NJdreamer
01-01-2016, 22:45
i love the hunt at the garage sale and any 2nd hand sale. For the REI one, the best deals I have found for me were items needing small repairs I could easily do, like replace a broken snap in pants with a button (at waist band) or fix a broken gaiter strap. Happy hunting.

scrabbler
01-01-2016, 22:52
I made the mistake of thinking I could fix a "small leak" in a BA Air Core sleeping pad. Small tip - if you see like more than a dozen of a certain item (like that one, that day) stay away, they have some issues. Ended up using an "entire" tube of McNett seam seal fixing the 1000 holes in a 16x10" section of the pad. So i dont know, spend $15 for the pad, and $7 on the sealer, and still not confident the pad is solid. But yeah, a button or snap is a sure thing.

damskipi
01-02-2016, 21:36
I managed to make out pretty well! A coat that will be perfect for traveling (lots of interior pockets), two pairs of convertible pants, and a hat and shirt that weren't part of the garage sale but were on clearance. I also picked up miscellaneous other items. Normally I'm not one for used clothing but the coat and pants all look brand new, no smells.

I made the mistake of thinking I could fix a "small leak" in a BA Air Core sleeping pad. Small tip - if you see like more than a dozen of a certain item (like that one, that day) stay away, they have some issues.

LOTS of BA Air Cores there today! I stayed away from them, but did pick up a couple other pads that appear to be in perfect condition. I inflated everything in the store and lay down on them to test...so far so good.

the best deals I have found for me were items needing small repairs I could easily do, like replace a broken snap in pants with a button (at waist band)

One of the pants I bought looks brand new except it's missing a snap. A trip to Joann's will take care of that easily :)

BTW, my daughter used to work at the Colorado Springs REI

Sadly, I no longer live in Colorado Springs. If your daughter still does, tell her she is very lucky!

Firecracker/GA
01-03-2016, 09:57
I actually went yesterday to look at tents having no idea that they were having a garage sale. I found a pair of once worn, like new Salomon hiking shoes for $50!!

I typically stay away from the things that say they leak or don't work though.

Hummy585
01-03-2016, 11:20
I went to the West Hartford, CT store saw plenty of good deals, and picked up a hat/neck gaiter I've wanted for half price. I saw and overheard a lot of folks gearing up for the trail this spring...

adamfbomb
01-04-2016, 12:52
I'm a HUGE fan of garage sales. I got a lot of great gear that was only slightly used for half price or less. The only thing I would exercise caution with is the sleeping pads, obviously, or anything else that's super fragile.

dervari
01-06-2016, 20:04
Girlfriend picked up a Sierra Zissou 0 degrees sleeping bag for $90.

Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk