PDA

View Full Version : How did you get your dog back home?

Rstar
01-01-2016, 16:44
We are a tto-young-to-rent-a-car couple attempting our first thru hike March 2016. We are split in two about bringing our girl. One of our concerns is getting her back home. We ask you, whiteblaze, how did you get your pup back home?

Slo-go'en
01-01-2016, 23:07
103 views and no answers. I'll take a shot.

The most practical way will be to fly. Most, if not all airlines will transport your dog. Very small dogs can be carried on, larger dogs go as cargo. Either way, you'll need to get a suitable pet carrier. There will likely be a significant fee for this. You'll need to check which airlines fly out of Bangor or Portland and see what rules they have and what the costs will be. One problem is you won't know very far in advance when you'll want to fly out and last minute tickets can cost a small fortune.

The only other option would be have a family member or friend fly up, rent a car and drive you home which will also be insanely expensive.

Since your on the fence about this I'll add: If your on a budget (and who isn't) bringing your dog along will strain it to the limit. It's a significant extra expense - and responsibility.

MuddyWaters
01-01-2016, 23:17
Buy a beater car, drive it home, sell it.
Dont have to be picky , find something you know you can resell for same price a week later.

Hassle, yes.

But only costs you a small amt tax on a $1000 car, and gas.
Do it right and you could break even or make change.

squeezebox
01-02-2016, 01:16
Does Greyhound allow dogs in the cargo hold??

Traveler
01-02-2016, 07:23
https://sp.yimg.com/xj/th?id=OIP.M0ac9ce739a2b86792bb15ad5d639069do0&pid=15.1&P=0&w=203&h=182

dervari
01-02-2016, 08:57
Does Greyhound allow dogs in the cargo hold??
I doubt it. Would be too hot or cold, and they may suffocate from carbon monoxide poisoning.

Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk

Slo-go'en
01-02-2016, 13:00
Greyhound will allow service animals, but they have to fit on your lap. They can not take up another seat or use the aisle. I can't imagine a 3 day bus trip with a dog on my lap, the ride is bad enough as it is. They can refuse the dog if they deem it is a risk to other passengers, can't be controlled, or is in anyway annoying. If your dog starts to act up, you could be put off the bus on the side of the highway.

Rstar
01-02-2016, 15:33
Didn't think about family meeting us up there but yes also insanely expensive.

Wise words, thank you very much.

I suppose she will sit this trip out. We will be sending her to the west coast to live with her uncle. She will get to travel in her own way!

Rolls Kanardly
01-02-2016, 16:25
Have you taken into account the places where dogs are not allowed on the trail and have to be shuttled around and kenneled while you are hiking the no pet section?

Rolls

LAZ
01-02-2016, 17:18
In response to the misinformation about Greyhound and service dogs - and I don't think it is relevant because I don't think this is a service dog or the owner would already know - it's not up to Greyhound to allow them. They are required to do so. And they cann't require they be on a lap. Service dogs go on the floor unless they are tiny dogs, like some of the hearing dogs. There is generally room under the seat in fron of you if there is no wheel, and they can theoretically require you keep your dog in your own space, but they can't enforce that unless they decide to put dividers on the floor under the seats. In other words, they can't legally kick you out because they created a situation with rules that one can't reasonably comply with.
Re behaviour - service dogs *must* be under control, and yes, can be kicked out if they are not. I would question whether a dog that is running around out of control is a trained service dog.
Again, not relevant here, but I didn't want a piece of misinformation out there uncorrected.

LAZ
01-02-2016, 17:21
Amtrack has been advirtising that you can bring your pets on some trains. With you in the car, not baggage. If Amtrack is an option, you might want to check out their requirements.

4eyedbuzzard
01-02-2016, 18:19
Not sure how "too young to rent a car" is as many people often think under 25 can't rent. But Alamo will rent to 21 and older with a $75 surcharge. Typically one way rentals from Portland or Boston to St. Pete would be in the $125/day range + a one-time $75 young renter surcharge. Figure 3 days rental + $200 or so in fuel + tolls and you're in the $700-$800 range. But then you still have the issues and costs of boarding and shuttling in GSMNP and Baxter.

Slo-go'en
01-02-2016, 20:26
In response to the misinformation about Greyhound and service dogs - and I don't think it is relevant because I don't think this is a service dog or the owner would already know - it's not up to Greyhound to allow them. They are required to do so. And they cann't require they be on a lap. .

Yes, they can and they do. It has to go on your lap or under your feet and if you've ever ridden Greyhound, you know there is barely enough room for your feet. I got that information directly from the Greyhound web site. Need I go back there and cut and paste? This might not be relevant to the OP, but others with the same question might reference this thread.

squeezebox
01-02-2016, 20:44
Glad you're thinking about it now rather than waiting until you and your dog are in a bad spot.

Cotton Terry
01-02-2016, 21:04
How do you get the pup to the Trail?

Adriana
01-02-2016, 22:37
Check wit car rental companies...most do not allow animals.

Sarcasm the elf
01-02-2016, 22:41
Check wit car rental companies...most do not allow animals.

The way I read the agreements, animals are allowed, there is just a $200 cleaning fee if they make a mess or shed. :)

Rstar
01-03-2016, 10:23
The way I've been looking at it is essentially she is a third body coming with us, who also isn't bringing any kinds of funds with her. We support her here at home but kenneling her is something we've never done and are not comfortable doing. Also because she wouldn't be able to "complete" the trail, it just doesn't seem worth it... We will miss her company so much but it seems selfish and expensive to bring her along.

4eyedbuzzard
01-03-2016, 11:16
The way I've been looking at it is essentially she is a third body coming with us, who also isn't bringing any kinds of funds with her. We support her here at home but kenneling her is something we've never done and are not comfortable doing. Also because she wouldn't be able to "complete" the trail, it just doesn't seem worth it... We will miss her company so much but it seems selfish and expensive to bring her along.I, and probably many other dog owners and lovers, think that even though you'll miss her you've made a good decision.

Boots and Backpacks
01-04-2016, 15:47
Have you taken into account the places where dogs are not allowed on the trail and have to be shuttled around and kenneled while you are hiking the no pet section?

Rolls

Dogs are allowed on 100% of the trail. Finding somewhere to stay is another thing.

Amtrack has been advirtising that you can bring your pets on some trains. With you in the car, not baggage. If Amtrack is an option, you might want to check out their requirements.

Amtrak does allow Service Dog's only, and only on 1 train. Besides that 1 train you can not bring a Service Animal on boards.

We went through this entire process, and the cheapest option was renting a car.

OldTrailDog
01-04-2016, 20:46
Nope, B&B you are mistaken. Dogs are not allowed on the GSNP and Baxter. I've done my research on this as I prepare to shuttle and kennel my dog for these sections.

Amtrak as of 2016 has a pilot program to allow dogs under certain restrictions. This is due to a section in the new Transportation Bill. Unfortunately the pilot program only includes some Northeastern trains, e.g. NY to Lynchville, VA; and some trains around Chicago.

When I needed to shuttle my dogs, or vehicles, in the past the most feasible way was a car rental and drive fast and furious.

4eyedbuzzard
01-04-2016, 23:07
Add to places dogs are prohibited the very short section at Bear Mountain Park in NY where the trail goes past/through the zoo and museum. There is a trail detour (short road walk) for those with dogs which is also used when the museum and zoo are closed.

Traveler
01-05-2016, 08:52
Dogs are allowed on 100% of the trail. Finding somewhere to stay is another thing.

Not on 100% of the trail. GSMNP, Baxter State Park, and Bear Mountain Park/Zoo in Harriman NY (a detour route exists here but not at the other parks).

LAZ
01-06-2016, 21:23
Yes, they can and they do. It has to go on your lap or under your feet and if you've ever ridden Greyhound, you know there is barely enough room for your feet. I got that information directly from the Greyhound web site. Need I go back there and cut and paste? This might not be relevant to the OP, but others with the same question might reference this thread.
Well, there is a big difference between stating that you have to carry a dog on your lap, and saying they have to be on the floor.
But I'm telling you - Greyhound is not kicking disabled people off their buses for having large service dogs.
You, are right, there is no room under your feet, but there is generally room for a dog to lie down under the seat in front of you. Plus some of the space under the seat in front of the person next to you. I travelled many miles with my last dog who was an 85 pound Shepherd, just that way.

There is also a gap between what's in writing and what's real. The law says we are entitled to take service dogs in *anywhere*. Yet more and more I cannot take taxis, go to fast food and even more expensive restaurants, and otherwise travel without harassment. If I took every place I had a problem with through the proper complaint processes, I would have no time to do anything else, so I don't, because a complaint process is only useful for a law that is generally complied with, where the complaints are for the exception.
Against that backdrop, is Greyhound, which is not my favorite form of transportation, but where I have never had a problem travelling with a service dog, taking many rides with two different dogs over a period of fifteen years. In the networks of guide dog users I have connection to, which are the most orgaanized and oldest groups of service dog users, with some of the largest service dogs on the average, I have never heard of someone getting kicked off or prevented from riding with Greyhound and I can promise you there would be a massive lawsuit out there if they tried this.
Companies can and do say all sorts of things that are not in compliance with our laws. There is no entity out there with the mission or ability to monitor such communication. You'd be better off checking with the Dept. Of Transportation, the Dept of Justice, orthe place that trained your service dog if you have a question about your rights.
I don't know what else to say. Do you have a service dog you've been prevented from taking on Greyhound? People should know if they are prevented in this way, they can call the police. I have done this when not getting in somewhere was not an option, like when I was denied entrance to a hostel where I had a reserved space and to not stay there would have meant no place to sleep, or when I was denied entrance to the facility where I have a storage locker. Otherwise, it takes too long and is not a fun process. It's considered a non-emergency situation, which is appropriate - I wouldnt want them to walk away from someone being held at gunpoint to get me onto a bus, but they will come and they will get you in.

Slo-go'en
01-07-2016, 00:13
We welcome service animals on board Greyhound buses (they always seem to enjoy the ride too). You must remain in control of your animal at all times, on a leash, harness or carrier and they must ride within your space – so they can’t occupy a seat or lay down in the aisle. If we think a service animal may threaten the health or safety of our staff or other passengers, we may refuse to have them on board.

Traveler
01-07-2016, 08:26
Well, there is a big difference between stating that you have to carry a dog on your lap, and saying they have to be on the floor.
But I'm telling you - Greyhound is not kicking disabled people off their buses for having large service dogs.
You, are right, there is no room under your feet, but there is generally room for a dog to lie down under the seat in front of you. Plus some of the space under the seat in front of the person next to you. I travelled many miles with my last dog who was an 85 pound Shepherd, just that way.

There is also a gap between what's in writing and what's real. The law says we are entitled to take service dogs in *anywhere*. Yet more and more I cannot take taxis, go to fast food and even more expensive restaurants, and otherwise travel without harassment. If I took every place I had a problem with through the proper complaint processes, I would have no time to do anything else, so I don't, because a complaint process is only useful for a law that is generally complied with, where the complaints are for the exception.
Against that backdrop, is Greyhound, which is not my favorite form of transportation, but where I have never had a problem travelling with a service dog, taking many rides with two different dogs over a period of fifteen years. In the networks of guide dog users I have connection to, which are the most orgaanized and oldest groups of service dog users, with some of the largest service dogs on the average, I have never heard of someone getting kicked off or prevented from riding with Greyhound and I can promise you there would be a massive lawsuit out there if they tried this.
Companies can and do say all sorts of things that are not in compliance with our laws. There is no entity out there with the mission or ability to monitor such communication. You'd be better off checking with the Dept. Of Transportation, the Dept of Justice, orthe place that trained your service dog if you have a question about your rights.
I don't know what else to say. Do you have a service dog you've been prevented from taking on Greyhound? People should know if they are prevented in this way, they can call the police. I have done this when not getting in somewhere was not an option, like when I was denied entrance to a hostel where I had a reserved space and to not stay there would have meant no place to sleep, or when I was denied entrance to the facility where I have a storage locker. Otherwise, it takes too long and is not a fun process. It's considered a non-emergency situation, which is appropriate - I wouldnt want them to walk away from someone being held at gunpoint to get me onto a bus, but they will come and they will get you in.

I think part of this issue stems from people claiming their dog is a "service animal". Real service dogs are very highly trained as opposed to most dogs that are not legitimate service animals. So the behavior of the pretend service dogs can be bad (dedicating in a restaurant, trying to bite the taxi driver, and other unattractive antics) as opposed to real service dogs. After a few of these instances people tend to start thinking its not worth the hassle, or health risk, of animals regardless of the claims of the owner.

Gambit McCrae
01-07-2016, 09:16
The way I've been looking at it is essentially she is a third body coming with us, who also isn't bringing any kinds of funds with her. We support her here at home but kenneling her is something we've never done and are not comfortable doing. Also because she wouldn't be able to "complete" the trail, it just doesn't seem worth it... We will miss her company so much but it seems selfish and expensive to bring her along.

Everyone made very positive suggestions and kept the thread polite "Applause" :clap
Everyone gave smart advice, but this is the smartest comment I read. Dogs lead by responsible owners are great along the trail, I just don't think a thru hike is the right scenario for 99/100 dogs. Takes a very special dog to make that journey and be happy about it. Enjoy your hike

peakbagger
01-07-2016, 11:43
The other positive about leaving a dog home is that dogs like people "wear out". I know several dog owners who have worn out their dogs doing extensive hiking over a few years and then having to retire their dogs as the dogs weren't really capable of doing long hikes anymore. I think its more prevalent with larger dogs but I know a few long term dog owners that bring in a replacement pup while their current dog is still in its prime so the replacement will learn from the older dog before the older dog is retired from the long hikes. To take it to the extreme Bill Irwin the blind hiker who did the AT with Orient his guide dog came back a year later to rehike a section in Maine, after a day of hiking Orient had to be carried out.