PDA

View Full Version : Sleeping pads?

Fireplug
01-01-2016, 18:49
Just wondering how most people fill their sleeping pads. I've seen air pumps, hand inflators, and even ones that use stuff sacks. I really don't want to spend 10 minutes filling it with moistened air from my lungs.

Malto
01-01-2016, 18:52
Just wondering how most people fill their sleeping pads. I've seen air pumps, hand inflators, and even ones that use stuff sacks. I really don't want to spend 10 minutes filling it with moistened air from my lungs.

Air from your lungs won't hurt anything. I also HATE blowing up a pad. i used to use a little pump but caught so much grief from some of my fellow hikers that stopped. I current use my pack liner to fill it, it weighs nothing, cost nothing and is quite fast.

MuddyWaters
01-01-2016, 19:10
My full size neoair takes about 55 seconds. 20 breaths. Dizziness aside, come up with a better reason.

takethisbread
01-01-2016, 19:14

I gave up on the air mattress game. Too much babysitting. My zlite takes 0.0 seconds to fill. [emoji6]

When I had a big Agnes or neoair they took 60 seconds to fill. And about 2 hours to decompress

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Vegan Packer
01-01-2016, 19:24
I use an Exped Pumpbag. It really doesn't count as extra weight to my pack, because I use it as a dry bag inside of my pack, so it just ends out being a substitution for what I was already going to use, but with the benefit of being able to use it for mattress and pillow inflation.

I have tried both of the competing models on the market: the Exped Schnozzel Pumpbag and the Thermarest Pumpsack. The Schnozzel is a tad lighter than the Thermarest. More importantly, the connector that goes from the bag to the mattress or pillow is superior to the connector in the Thermarest version. Naturally, each brand has its own proprietary connector that won't work on the other brand's system, however, here is a great modification that I made that allows me to use the Exped for both Exped and Thermarest products.

https://youtu.be/mSwRi39hYYo

Tipi Walter
01-01-2016, 20:43
Most of this conversation must center around the NeoAirs as they yes require alot of lung power. I use Thermarest inflatables like Prolite Plus or the Trail Pro and they are self inflating and only require 6 or 8 puffs max.

The Exped is a different beast and had I not been soured on a baffle weld delamination it would be my go-to winter pad, the Exped downmat with built-in hand pump.

Has anyone tried the little battery powered pump for the NeoAirs???

Jake2c
01-01-2016, 20:49
I use a stuff sack that I keep it in. I sleep best on an air mattress and also did not want to put warm, moist air in it in the winter time. Not a great solution but works.

jcreamer
01-01-2016, 21:00
Tipi, I've got ne of the little battery operated pumps and it's great for a weekend or three day outing. Batteries last about 12-15 inflations. I usually end up inflating everyone's pad. Two AAA batteries. Start it up and go start dinner. Check on it in about 8-10 minutes.
For longer hikes I leave it at home and use a garbage bag that I would take anyway. It works well also. Just no "cool" factor.
JC