PDA

View Full Version : New Years Day night in the woods

RangerZ
01-01-2016, 21:27
I'm sitting on a log by a fire ring in a PA state park, about 32* out. I've got my poncho and liners over me like an old man - well, an older man. I'm reading a paperback by the fire because it's too early to go into my tent to read. There's only a possibility of light snow over night. My food is hanging in a tree, I'm peeing behind a tree, I'll sleep on the ground. What could be better?

Traillium
01-01-2016, 21:29
Wonderful, sir, wonderful!

Bruce Traillium

shelb
01-01-2016, 21:52
What a peaceful way to ring in the new year!

Malto
01-01-2016, 22:13
I spent yesterday up on the Black Forest Trail in North Central PA. If you haven't been up there yet, high reco. I was up twice between Christmas and New Years.

Studlintsean
01-01-2016, 23:28
Awesome. Here are a few from my trip the last few days

Last Night Camp

Crossing BRP this morning

RangerZ
01-01-2016, 23:52
I spent yesterday up on the Black Forest Trail in North Central PA. If you haven't been up there yet, high reco. I was up twice between Christmas and New Years.

Did five days on the BFT in October, 42 miles. Had a great time with SW PA Backpackers.

Sent from my sleeping bag and tent from Raccoon Creek SP (where I've never seen a raccoon and the main creek is Traverse Creek).

RangerZ
01-03-2016, 12:04
I'm sitting on a log by a fire ring in a PA state park, about 32* out. I've got my poncho and liners over me like an old man - well, an older man. I'm reading a paperback by the fire because it's too early to go into my tent to read. There's only a possibility of light snow over night. My food is hanging in a tree, I'm peeing behind a tree, I'll sleep on the ground. What could be better?

Every backpack trip has a purpose - even if it's just to get out into the woods. This one was just that - 7 miles in, cold overnight, 3.5 miles out. The hiking wasn't bad, though a little muddy, I only fell once, a good trip. I only saw two dayhikers and a runner on the trail. The woods get amazingly quite, most of all no alarm clocks, phone calls, etc. Did get a 6AM wake up from the first flights departing Pittsburgh International but I was already awake.

The cold overnight was a test - I brought the poncho liners that I normally use in warm weather to be an over and under quilt, along with my roll of reflectix. From the ground up I had my zlight sol, poncho liner, reflectix, 23* sleeping bag, poncho liner. Slept in my UA cold weather gear base layer with socks, balaclava, knit cap and down jacket. I was fine except while I was reading my hands got cold, it's hard to turn paper back pages with gloves on.

My tent didn't get below freezing, at least that's what my (inaccurate?) zipper pull thermometer said. Anybody have a recommendation for an accurate light thermometer?

I was out last New Years with a reported low of 22* and was okay, my notes don't say anything about being cold (so I think the bag rating is right for me). I wanted to see what the poncho liners would add. They're the older polyester batting version, not the thinsulate that I see advertised now. I think they added warmth but at the price of pack volume, they don't compress much. Next time I'll strap them underneath my pack, I just don't like a lot of things hanging off the pack.

I'm not Tipi Walter or Shug, I don't intend to do real cold camping but you've got to test and understand your gear. I know that I'm good to below freezingThis got my January backpack trip out of the way.

Happiness is a recovery nap with a warm cat.:banana