PDA

View Full Version : Therm a Rest Air Mattress Storage advice, what do you do?

BenOnAdventures
01-02-2016, 16:13
Hey adventurers, I have a Therm A Rest All Season Air Mattress, I was wondering when storing yours (or similar air mattresses) do you leave it in the stuff sack it came with? For example I know a lot of people say you should store sleeping bags loosely but does that same concept apply to air mattresses? Thank you!

trpost
01-02-2016, 20:37
My Therm A Rest pad instructions said to keep it inflated with the valve open when you store it. That is what I do.

Hikes in Rain
01-02-2016, 20:52
As do I. I keep it under the bed.

squeezebox
01-02-2016, 20:58
I've come to the decision to store all my gear loose. Certainly any insulation products should be stored loose. But fleece also. If thinking if my tent or air mattress is stored tight, the tight creases might affect the coatings. I have seen it happen. And I have the space above my closet so why not store loose?

schnikel
01-02-2016, 21:02
My Therm A Rest pad instructions said to keep it inflated with the valve open when you store it. That is what I do.

Ditto
Schnikel

Cotton Terry
01-02-2016, 21:02
I have a Therm-a-rest Neoair XTherm and the instructions that came with it says to fold it in thirds and roll it up.

HooKooDooKu
01-04-2016, 02:20
If it is one of the self-inflating type, you need to store it inflated. I wrap mind in an old sheet (to keep the dust off) and then store it under the bed. I've also stored it vetically in places like behind a door that is always open or beside a shelf unit. But when storing vertically, I inflate it a little extra to keep it firm.

For the pads that are strictly air matrices, like the NeoAir, you can store those rolled up ready to go for your next trip.

HooKooDooKu
01-04-2016, 02:20
Double post (wish the forum would do something to prevent thesr... cause I have no idea how it happened this time).

BenOnAdventures
01-04-2016, 03:28
If it is one of the self-inflating type, you need to store it inflated. I wrap mind in an old sheet (to keep the dust off) and then store it under the bed. I've also stored it vetically in places like behind a door that is always open or beside a shelf unit. But when storing vertically, I inflate it a little extra to keep it firm.

For the pads that are strictly air matrices, like the NeoAir, you can store those rolled up ready to go for your next trip.
So since mine is a dedicated air mattress I can just leave it rolled up?

HooKooDooKu
01-04-2016, 14:04
So since mine is a dedicated air mattress I can just leave it rolled up?
What happens to the mattress if you roll it out and open the valve?

If it doesn't suck in any air at all (because it either has nothing in it, or it only has the reflective baffles like the NeoAir does), then you can store it rolled up.

If there is any foam inside the pad that tries to even just partially inflate the mattress, then you need to store it inflated.