PDA

View Full Version : Coffee on the trail...

Pages : [1] 2

FlyFishNut
01-02-2016, 20:03
I LOVE COFFEE.

I love my percolator, but it's too heavy. I'm leaning towards the Snow Peak coffee press (b/c it is light and makes 3 cups at a time - all for ME ME ME).

Anyone have a favorite coffee set-up they can recommend for consideration?

Happy New Year,
FFN

Cotton Terry
01-02-2016, 20:24
folgers instant

Hikes in Rain
01-02-2016, 20:24
Cowboy coffee. Just bring water almost to a boil. (I usually get it to boil, then wait a couple of minutes. Amounts to the same thing. Boiling coffee makes it bitter.) Add coffee, stir, and let sit five-ish minutes. Add a dash of cold water to make the grounds sit. I also use a small little strainer as I pour it to get the last of the grounds out. Wonderful coffee!

swjohnsey
01-02-2016, 20:30
Another cowboy coffee. I use 1/4 c coffee, 1/4 c any type sugar (brown sugar give a pleasant molasses flavor). Set up your stove and pot with about 20 oz water the night before and let it soak. Fire up the stove first thing in the morning and bring just to boil, turn off stove and let steep 5 minutes. Grounds will sink to bottom, pour off coffee carefully into cup. By the time coffee is ready, tent is down and packed.

Hikes in Rain
01-02-2016, 20:50
That's a different way I'm going to have to try! Sounds like a good idea. I like honey in my coffee. Have since the 70's.

schnikel
01-02-2016, 21:06
Starbuck's instant coffee is good. I think its called Via. A friend brought some on our last trip and I tight it was much better that other instant coffee. I haven't ever tried the backpack french press systems but I bet if you are willing to carry the weight it would be a better morning brew.
Schnikel

BirdBrain
01-02-2016, 21:36
Starbucks VIA. Lightest option for instant (most dense / takes less to produce desired consistency). Closest option to the real stuff taste. Most expensive option. But hey... its coffee.

dink
01-02-2016, 21:36
Maxwell house makes a super concentrated liquid instant...1.62 oz. bottle makes 10 cups of coffee. I have used it in freshly filtered ice cold water from a stream in the summer, and in a cup of hot water on chilly mornings...my favorite flavor is the caramel...yum!!!

shelb
01-03-2016, 00:18
I used to be a major coffee snob and always brought my Jet Boil French Press. In recent years, I have found that the instant coffee has come a long way .... Now, I often just bring the instant packets..

NC Hiker/Angler
01-03-2016, 00:25
I've used the MSR Mugmate for years and have been very pleased. It's very lightweight and makes a strong cup of coffee similar to a French press.

cmoulder
01-03-2016, 02:23
Cafe Bustello Instant espresso

If you're going to do cowboy coffee it works best if you use a coarse grind, which settles out MUCH better than a really fine grind.

Hikes in Rain
01-03-2016, 09:42
Coarse grind: yes, a very valid point. Makes all the difference.

Turtle-2013
01-03-2016, 09:45
GSI Commuter Java Press ... my one luxury item. Doubles as a nice "glass" to drink out of, I use it for hot and cold drinks when I'm tired of drinking out of a bottle. Keeps the coffee hot longer than any other option I've used on the trail.

greensleep
01-03-2016, 10:33
I also love a hot cup-a-joe 1st thing in the am and often midday. Cold brewing is something I've been doing for a while now with satisfactory results. A lot of reputable brands are putting out "sleeves"/packets of acceptable instant coffee. I've tried all while camping and am satisfied with the instant coffees now that they're significantly improved over past types while keeping my pack load light.

Cheyou
01-03-2016, 11:23
GSI Commuter Java Press ... my one luxury item. Doubles as a nice "glass" to drink out of, I use it for hot and cold drinks when I'm tired of drinking out of a bottle. Keeps the coffee hot longer than any other option I've used on the trail.

Only one one luxury item ????? ;0)

i guess I like the soft easy life. I have more!

thom

Turtle-2013
01-03-2016, 11:31
I do bring a cell phone and recharge battery.... I guess they could count as luxury too ... But that is about it ; )

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Lyle
01-03-2016, 11:37
Tried many methods, Tasters Choice packets, cowboy coffee, Melita cone with filter, french press. Have, for the past several years, settled on Nescafe Classico instant. The reasons:

Tasters Choice Packets assume a particular cup size, usually came out too weak or too strong.

Cowboy coffee - never could perfect getting the grounds to sink, always ended up chewing the last few swigs.

Melita Cone - GREAT coffee, but had to pack out the used filters and clean the cone.

French Press - Great coffee, but messy clean-up.

Classico - decent coffee, zero mess, infinitely adjustable for cup size and strength desired, compact to carry.

No right or wrong, just better/worse characteristics - you get to choose which is most important to you.

Sir Setsalot
01-03-2016, 14:56
cowboy coffee - google it

rocketsocks
01-03-2016, 15:14
Anyone put a pinch of salt in their coffee...pretty good. Learned that trick from an old boss and long time deli man.

Rolls Kanardly
01-03-2016, 15:36
Three kinds of coffee. Bitter and Strong and just right.
Bitter coffee is made by too little coffee and too much water. (boiling puts too much water through the grind and leaches out the bitter oils)
Strong coffee is too much coffee and not enough water.
Finding the right amount of coffee, the right amount of water, and the right amount of cooking time is an art.
I like Instant Folgers when out and about. Weak to strong is only a scoop a way.
Rolls

Moosling
01-03-2016, 15:51
Starbucks instant

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HeartFire
01-03-2016, 18:49
tasters choice (https://jet.com/product/detail/fa7e9a86fcdc4206910d2392a427deb8?jcmp=pla:ggl:badj d_food_beverages_tobacco_a3:All_Products:na:na:na: na:na:2&code=PLA15&k_clickid=c0f89011-87db-48ae-b9f9-6307cf1a2acf&gclid=CJ7R2PbcjsoCFYElgQodX_wAzg) - makes the same finger type sleeves as Starbucks Via and is one helluvalot cheaper than starbucks, and I like it better.

Akela
01-03-2016, 19:25
Short trips and car camping, i love my percolator. Backpacking, VIA makes my day. I mixed it with my morning cereal.

FlyFishNut
01-03-2016, 22:53
Lots of good info and some different/new things to try - was surprised about to hear such good things about Starbucks VIA. I like bold coffee, but have found SBucks to be a bit bitter.

I will try the above suggestions on some day hike/climbing trips as testing ground before a backpack trip to ensure I find one I like.

In total agreement aout the course grind: I picked up a Burr grinder just for that purpose.

Look forward to trying these various coffee experiments - Yum.

Turk6177
01-03-2016, 23:47
I use the single serving instant packs and mix it with a pack of hot chocolate (mocha morning). This gives me the coffee flavor and caffeine to start the day, and some extra calories from the hot chocolate. This is my morning go to when I hike.

Scrum
01-04-2016, 01:08
G7 instant Vietnamese coffee - already sweetened and whitened. A real pick-me-up first thing in the morning.
http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/webkit-fake-url://DDEE6C51-26A8-42B2-80A1-0513C737FE1F/51aHjTnWT6L.jpg

Odd Man Out
01-04-2016, 01:12

If you're going to do cowboy coffee it works best if you use a coarse grind, which settles out MUCH better than a really fine grind.

You can do it with fine ground coffee too. Then it's called Turkish coffee.

Odd Man Out
01-04-2016, 01:13
I use the single serving instant packs and mix it with a pack of hot chocolate (mocha morning). This gives me the coffee flavor and caffeine to start the day, and some extra calories from the hot chocolate. This is my morning go to when I hike.

I've been packing Starbuck's Via, but I like this idea. I may try it next time. I could use some more carbs at breakfast (to go with my cheese and sausage).

Ercoupe
01-04-2016, 06:05
Coffee bags give me a better taste, than instant coffee.

ChrisJackson
01-04-2016, 08:59
tasters choice (https://jet.com/product/detail/fa7e9a86fcdc4206910d2392a427deb8?jcmp=pla:ggl:badj d_food_beverages_tobacco_a3:All_Products:na:na:na: na:na:2&code=PLA15&k_clickid=c0f89011-87db-48ae-b9f9-6307cf1a2acf&gclid=CJ7R2PbcjsoCFYElgQodX_wAzg) - makes the same finger type sleeves as Starbucks Via and is one helluvalot cheaper than starbucks, and I like it better.

I'm pretty addicted to VIA and it bothers me because of the price! Thanks for this suggestion HeartFire. Just loaded my Amazon cart with some of this Taster's Choice.

BirdBrain
01-04-2016, 10:23
Coffee bags give me a better taste, than instant coffee.

I agree. However....

This subject will be debated a million more times. I see it like every other issue of what to take. 4 question test.

1) Do you need it? If no leave it home. That is lightest option. Don't even consider question 2 through 4.
2) Is there a lighter option?
3) Is the lighter option affordable?
4) Is the lighter option functional?

For me the answers are as follows:

1) Yes... I need it more than my tent. :D
2) VIA is the lightest option.
3) VIA is likely the most expensive option, but still more affordable than a cuben fiber tent. :)
4) Via is closest to the real thing (according to my taste buds).

Every opinion will be subject to those 4 questions.

1) If you don't consider it a priority, you won't take it.
2) If weight is not a big deal, you might carry a press.
3) If cost is the greatest consideration, you will go for a cheap instant.
4) If taste is the primary factor, you will have the real stuff in some form.

Everyone dances around those 4 tests, rather they realize it or not.

isleroyalhiker
01-04-2016, 10:34
I love Starbucks but am tired of paying the high price. I also like to drink organic, so I shopped around and found two instant organic coffees that actually taste quite good. Mount Hagen and Cafe Altura. Put some in a baggie and no extra garbage....:-)

FlyFishNut
01-04-2016, 14:54
Great decision making process......

I agree. However....

This subject will be debated a million more times. I see it like every other issue of what to take. 4 question test.

1) Yes... I need it more than my tent. :D AGREED
2) VIA is the lightest option. I WILL CARRY MORE WEIGHT FOR REAL TASTE
3) VIA is likely the most expensive option, but still more affordable than a cuben fiber tent. :) NOT MORE EXPENSIVE THAN SNOWPEAK PRESS
4) Via is closest to the real thing (according to my taste buds) GOING TO PICK SOME UP - WILL WEIGH IN ON THIS AFTER TASTE TEST

BirdBrain
01-04-2016, 15:00
Great decision making process......
3) VIA is likely the most expensive option, but still more affordable than a cuben fiber tent. :) NOT MORE EXPENSIVE THAN SNOWPEAK PRESS

More expensive than a 5 month supply of VIA? That is one expensive press. ;)

Traveler
01-05-2016, 09:10
eh, real backpackers chew their coffee anyway. Bring beans.

colorado_rob
01-05-2016, 09:25
It's always fun to debate coffee tastes! I'll never, ever, ever understand how people can actually enjoy weak coffees, but I also prefer to wear blue/black/grey tones of hiking clothing and others prefer reds/yellows/greens!

Yeah, Starbucks vias are pretty expensive, but Costco carries them at about 60 cents a packet, sometimes a tad cheaper. I drink two each morning, times 120 mornings on the trail (after subtracting town stop mornings) that's less than $150 for an entire AT thru, about a third of the cost of a Cuben tent, whew!

I did find a Folgers instant, called "black silk" that was less expensive and still pretty tasty. I think they were about 40 cents each. I mixed those in with the Vias for a good part of my AT hike.

Way back decades ago I tried the coffee press thing off and on for backpacking, then went instant for some time, then Vias came out and I was in Nirvana; great taste, closest to real coffee in an instant I had ever tasted. But this all being said, I think next long hike I'll try the cowboy coffee thing, thanks for mentioning this yet again Hikes in Rain and SW... the only thing that might be a downer on this is the weight of the coffee, I'm thinking a tad more than Via's.

colorado_rob
01-05-2016, 09:27
eh, real backpackers chew their coffee anyway. Bring beans.You joke, but this is true for myself on winter trips; I bring chocolate covered coffee beans, delicious!

rocketsocks
01-05-2016, 09:40
Coffee beans coffee beans the magical fruit
The more you drink the more you toot
The more you toot the faster you'll hike
crop dustin' hikers as you're wavin' g'bye

perdidochas
01-05-2016, 13:05
It's always fun to debate coffee tastes! I'll never, ever, ever understand how people can actually enjoy weak coffees, but I also prefer to wear blue/black/grey tones of hiking clothing and others prefer reds/yellows/greens!

Yeah, Starbucks vias are pretty expensive, but Costco carries them at about 60 cents a packet, sometimes a tad cheaper. I drink two each morning, times 120 mornings on the trail (after subtracting town stop mornings) that's less than $150 for an entire AT thru, about a third of the cost of a Cuben tent, whew!

I did find a Folgers instant, called "black silk" that was less expensive and still pretty tasty. I think they were about 40 cents each. I mixed those in with the Vias for a good part of my AT hike.

Way back decades ago I tried the coffee press thing off and on for backpacking, then went instant for some time, then Vias came out and I was in Nirvana; great taste, closest to real coffee in an instant I had ever tasted. But this all being said, I think next long hike I'll try the cowboy coffee thing, thanks for mentioning this yet again Hikes in Rain and SW... the only thing that might be a downer on this is the weight of the coffee, I'm thinking a tad more than Via's.

The Folger's black silk is pretty good. Not quite as good as Via, but the price is much better.

bikebum1975
01-06-2016, 14:31
I LOVE COFFEE.

I love my percolator, but it's too heavy. I'm leaning towards the Snow Peak coffee press (b/c it is light and makes 3 cups at a time - all for ME ME ME).

Happy New Year,
FFN
Just get an aluminum model they are lighter by a lot.
Love my perkie pot also dig it from a moka pot and another fan of cowboy coffee. Way to brew all depends on my mood

Harrison Bergeron
01-06-2016, 14:58
This is the only way to go if you really need good coffee. 0.4 oz.
http://www.rei.com/product/784659/gsi-outdoors-ultralight-java-drip-coffee-maker

16oz of boiled water in the morning gets you a cup of coffee and a bowl of oatmeal, with enough left over for the clean up.

And here's a tip -- if you like cream, you don't have to put up with that nasty powdered stuff. Just pick up a handful of creamers at McD's when you're in town and carry them in your coffee mug.

FlyFishNut
01-06-2016, 16:59
This is the only way to go if you really need good coffee. 0.4 oz.
http://www.rei.com/product/784659/gsi-outdoors-ultralight-java-drip-coffee-maker

16oz of boiled water in the morning gets you a cup of coffee and a bowl of oatmeal, with enough left over for the clean up.

Thanks - I am actually considering that one, but 16oz wouldn't be enough. I could just keep keep reheating the water in the pot and making more single cups. And I like mine Black.

AtWokman
01-12-2016, 10:00
Myjo
By presto
Pros...
Great coffee
Never had grounds in my coffee.
Easy peasy
Cons....
Not super lite
A bit bulky

Cheyou
01-12-2016, 10:53
Thanks - I am actually considering that one, but 16oz wouldn't be enough. I could just keep keep reheating the water in the pot and making more single cups. And I like mine Black.

http://hikelighter.com/2015/09/29/gsi-outdoors-ultralight-java-drip-coffee-maker/

brianb2
01-12-2016, 16:33
I've been testing a new setup, If you've seen folks in coffee shops using the pour over method for coffee, that's the direction I'm going. I didn't want to do anything overly complicated, so this is what I came up with.

Using #2 coffee filters and a piece of aluminum foil I created a simple pour over system. Just fold up the aluminum and put two small holes in the bottom about the size of a thumbtack. Now you're ready to go. Put the filter inside the aluminum pour over shape. Add some coffee and hot water and let it slowly seep through.

It makes a surprisingly good cup of coffee and adds very little weight. Simple and effective. The only drawback is that the aluminum isn't strong enough to support the weight of the water when you pour it in so you have to hold it until some of the water has seeped through.

Update: I've made a new one of these out of thicker aluminum from a baking sheet. Works great.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160112/8a53a5671c5765c9c08f82b8386f9246.jpg

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160112/9ae48f3d534634c71b0d3c31f38227f0.jpg

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160112/74e26d1aac4ed77de0d76c93c9884ed7.jpg

bikebum1975
01-14-2016, 12:50
I've been testing a new setup, If you've seen folks in coffee shops using the pour over method for coffee, that's the direction I'm going. I didn't want to do anything overly complicated, so this is what I came up with.

Using #2 coffee filters and a piece of aluminum foil I created a simple pour over system. Just fold up the aluminum and put two small holes in the bottom about the size of a thumbtack. Now you're ready to go. Put the filter inside the aluminum pour over shape. Add some coffee and hot water and let it slowly seep through.

It makes a surprisingly good cup of coffee and adds very little weight. Simple and effective. The only drawback is that the aluminum isn't strong enough to support the weight of the water when you pour it in so you have to hold it until some of the water has seeped through.

Update: I've made a new one of these out of thicker aluminum from a baking sheet. Works great.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160112/8a53a5671c5765c9c08f82b8386f9246.jpg

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160112/9ae48f3d534634c71b0d3c31f38227f0.jpg

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160112/74e26d1aac4ed77de0d76c93c9884ed7.jpg

cool idea. I use a melita cone filter same idea just doesn't pack flat. That said they do make packable versions of this idea. Still one of the best brews out there

Portie
01-14-2016, 16:24
Trader Joe's instant 100% Colombian is much better than Starbucks Via. I also like Trader Joe's instant coffee "all dressed up" with creamer and sugar in little packets.

What I need is a good hiking insulated cup that won't spill so I can have hot coffee all day long.

bikebum1975
01-14-2016, 17:02
That's easy for keeping it hot get a thermos

vamelungeon
01-14-2016, 20:22
I like my GSI press. Makes great coffee.

Wendigo
01-14-2016, 21:00
A muslin coffee "sock," sold in stores like Bed, Bath & Beyond might do the trick. Carry pre-ground coffee in a Ziplock.

kibs
01-14-2016, 21:34

Amen to Cafe Bustello. Tried them all but Bustello rocks!

Cobra317
01-15-2016, 09:28
Nature's Coffee Kettle makes some great coffee while on trail. It's light weight, folds nicely, but more importantly brews coffee naturally. The coffee/filter it comes with can be reused up to 4 times. Columbia 100% Coffee style is their best, next to Hazelnut.

hikerhobs
01-16-2016, 09:21
Folgers or tasters choice instant packets.

Cheyou
01-16-2016, 10:56
http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Reusable-Coffee-Filter-Top-Quality-Long-Lasting-Basket-Style-Nylon-Mesh/161941401011?_trksid=p2141725.c100338.m3726&_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIC.MBE%26ao%3D1%2 6asc%3D20150313114020%26meid%3Db7a584fa0cfb4cd1a54 20d7255b9afd7%26pid%3D100338%26rk%3D7%26rkt%3D29%2 6sd%3D321809279520

ixl2survive
01-16-2016, 16:57
Folgers has coffee in tea bags style with string
fill cup/pot with water
drop coffee Bag in water
bring water to boil
raise and dip coffee bag with string up and down a to taste
enjoy !
the downside is carrying around used coffee bags till next trash stop...but its sooo worth it !!! IMO
leave no trace... haul your trash out !

FlyFishNut
01-17-2016, 21:52
Lots of great suggestions to try out - I tried the Starbucks Via and do not care for it. Next on my list is Trader Joe's instant, but knowing me and my taste buds I'm guessing I will end up with a press or cowboy coffee.

The quest continues....

Rolls Kanardly
01-18-2016, 03:53
For short hikes when not camping I have RX pill bottles, one coffee, one creamer, and one sugar.
Rolls

double d
01-18-2016, 18:11
Starbucks has some good instant coffee, but as others have mentioned, its a little pricey, but so what on the trail. Also, I just boil the water, but some in a small cup and bang-bang-instant starbucks. its a good way to get going in the morning or at night.

FlyFishNut
01-18-2016, 19:39
After the starbucks taste test, I'm either going to pack my aluminum percolator (I have a Burr grinder to make it course) or do cowboy coffee.

I just can't deal with instant -

Venchka
01-18-2016, 23:43
Trader Joe's instant 100% Colombian is much better than Starbucks Via. I also like Trader Joe's instant coffee "all dressed up" with creamer and sugar in little packets.

What I need is a good hiking insulated cup that won't spill so I can have hot coffee all day long.

Zojirushi 16 ounce travel mug. Totally leakproof locking lid. I fill it about 6 am and take it to work. Still hot at noon. If it lasts that long.

Wayne

Sent from somewhere around here.

Venchka
01-18-2016, 23:51
Lots of great suggestions to try out - I tried the Starbucks Via and do not care for it. Next on my list is Trader Joe's instant, but knowing me and my taste buds I'm guessing I will end up with a press or cowboy coffee.

The quest continues....

Which flavor Via? I'm picky and the Italian roast works for me. Considering that I drink it far from anywhere that I might get real coffee. It beats the wine out of 99% of restaurants or Starbucks house stuff in one of their shops. I found Via for $5-$6 at Target recently. I loaded up.

Wayne

Sent from somewhere around here.

FlyFishNut
01-19-2016, 09:05
Which flavor Via? I'm picky and the Italian roast works for me.

The only kind the SB's in the HT had was Pike's Place, medium roast. I drink my coffee black, but do like some sort of nutty or rich flavor to my coffee (not bitter).

Venchka
01-19-2016, 09:14
The only kind the SB's in the HT had was Pike's Place, medium roast. I drink my coffee black, but do like some sort of nutty or rich flavor to my coffee (not bitter).

Pike's Place. I should have known. Even fresh, I have to add a shot of espresso to make Pike's Place tolerable. Folks at Starbucks give me dirty looks when I ask, "Do Y'all have any real coffee?" Having spent over half my life drinking New Orleans coffee has made me picky. Since Katrina moved us to Texas, when we have a chance to go back to New Orleans we always bring home about 10 pounds of coffee & 20 pounds of rice.
The Via Italian is generally available in supermarkets, and like I said above, even Target.
Agreed, black coffee is the only way. If I want a hot milk shake, I'll choose hot chocolate.
Good luck in your search.

Wayne

VTATHiker
01-19-2016, 09:23
If you haven't heard of it, check out the Aeropress. Just Google it - it is something like a cross between a french press and a giant syringe, but it makes amazing coffee and is smaller and lighter than a french press, easier to clean, and almost indestructible. I use it to make my morning coffee off trail. I prefer to carry VIA packets while hiking, but that's only because I'm a gram weenie.

zip_
01-19-2016, 09:54
I like mount hagen

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160119/93fc9d9af8b663fe8a66034052853cc3.jpg

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

bikebum1975
01-19-2016, 12:55
Pike's Place. I should have known. Even fresh, I have to add a shot of espresso to make Pike's Place tolerable. Folks at Starbucks give me dirty looks when I ask, "Do Y'all have any real coffee?" Having spent over half my life drinking New Orleans coffee has made me picky. Since Katrina moved us to Texas, when we have a chance to go back to New Orleans we always bring home about 10 pounds of coffee & 20 pounds of rice.
The Via Italian is generally available in supermarkets, and like I said above, even Target.
Agreed, black coffee is the only way. If I want a hot milk shake, I'll choose hot chocolate.
Good luck in your search.

Wayne

now ow that has to be the funniest thing I've seen all day lol. I could see myself doing that if I ever set foot into one of those yuppy shops lol

swjohnsey
01-19-2016, 13:03
I only drink Jamaican coffee picked by virgins. You don't find it often in convenience stores a small town markets. Unless you plan to carry a 6 months supply or resort to mail drops, your selection will be extremely limited.

ChuckT
01-19-2016, 14:34
How do you know they virgins?
Inquiring mind want to know😇

swjohnsey
01-19-2016, 18:34
I check every one . . . personally.

ChuckT
01-19-2016, 19:27
A (insert descriptive, here) job, but sonebody's got to do it, I'm sure.

OldGringo
01-19-2016, 21:42
In almost 70 posts, only one person mentioned an AeroPress... Is it that folks automatically discount it as being inferior? Or can it really be that you folks have never heard of this gizmo?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

cmoulder
01-19-2016, 22:53
In almost 70 posts, only one person mentioned an AeroPress... Is it that folks automatically discount it as being inferior? Or can it really be that you folks have never heard of this gizmo?

No offence, but I'm not using anything that is that heavy and requires *15 Steps* (https://bluebottlecoffee.com/preparation-guides/aeropress) to make coffee. I'm super happy with Cafe Bustello Instant Espresso and its 2 steps — add coffee, add water. Try it at -20°F and decide for yourself which you prefer.:)

ChuckT
01-20-2016, 06:01
I agree, that the Aeropress (I have one but only used it a few times) is more than I want to tote on the trail.
For an out and back it might be another story. Also it is a gadget with a high fiddle factor, maybe more than I want to face in the early AMs.

scottpash
01-20-2016, 08:05
I never could drink instant Coffee BUT I now enjoy Mokate instant

It is great Hot or Cold (iced)
I normally Drink Black Coffee (hot)
Iced Coffee with Milk and a bit of sugar

This instant has a good flavor either way

1 tsp in 8 oz. hot water
1 tsp coffee 1tsp milk powder(Nido) 1/2 tsp sugar in 8 oz cold water

I don't need coffee everyday but this is acceptable and easy to pack in small ziplocks

I will be sending myself food for my trip this year ( better Nutrition than Gas Station , Mini Mart Ramen)
I de-hydrate my own meals so adding coffee will be easy to add to my mail drops
but I pack tea bags also and just chicken broth for a quick Hot Drink

just my 2 penny's worth

ChuckT
01-20-2016, 09:04
Where do you get Mokate?

ChuckT
01-20-2016, 09:27
Hmm, Motake is a European (?) company producing coffee and etc, originally from Poland (?).

rblackburn
01-20-2016, 13:28

I have one at home, but leave it behind when backpacking.

The Kisco Kid
01-20-2016, 15:42
I use the Starbucks Via packets. It's very light and tastes like the real thing.

One point I feel a lot of others posters have missed is simplicity. When I'm on the trail, especially in the morning, I don't want to have to fiddle with coffee contraptions, wait for grounds to settle, etc.

Kaptainkriz
01-20-2016, 19:46
Thoughts on this refillable coffee filter pack bag thingy:

http://youtu.be/3vthjhoC1E8

OldGringo
01-20-2016, 22:57
No offence, but I'm not using anything that is that heavy and requires *15 Steps* (https://bluebottlecoffee.com/preparation-guides/aeropress) to make coffee. I'm super happy with Cafe Bustello Instant Espresso and its 2 steps — add coffee, add water. Try it at -20°F and decide for yourself which you prefer.:)

None taken... I had never seen the 15 step instructions you linked too... Thanks, but its kinda like the 35 steps it takes to pitch your tent... I respect everyone's individual "works for me". And for me an AeroPress is a lot less fiddly then a French press.. Even if you buy a $90 titanium version.. I'm more of a "camper" when it comes to coffee, even at -20 or lower... I also use an alcohol stove in this temps... Kinda makes you slow down...[emoji39]

ChuckT
01-21-2016, 06:02
Nescafe.
Measure out, ahead of time, 1 tsp coffee, + 1/2 tsp creamer, + 1/2 tsp sugar x N trail cups into zip lock bag.
Don't forget to add the bag into your kitchen.
Wake up, roll over, dress somewhat, start stove to boil water.
Knead coffee zip lock to be sure mixed. Add 1 tsp to Sierra cup, (still got mine!) enjoy the morning.
Sometimes it's even good coffee.☺

mister krabs
01-21-2016, 20:13
Going waaaay back for the linked thread, I still use Skidsteer's Coffee Maker for the Trail. (http://whiteblaze.net/forum/www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php/21381-Coffeemaker-for-the-trail?highlight=coffee) One of the best pieces of kit I've ever had.

http://whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php/21381-Coffeemaker-for-the-trail?highlight=coffee

Kaptainkriz
01-27-2016, 19:45
Meet the tiniest little percolator. It's an old Comet 2 Cup that I found on eBay. 180g of coffee goodness! Interesting thing is that the 35g core fits perfectly inside the Olicamp XTS:

bikebum1975
01-27-2016, 19:56
Where did you find that little coffee pot? Some people are knife junkies yeah I'm one of them to also stoves cook sets but especially love coffee toys lol

Kaptainkriz
01-27-2016, 20:08
eBay search for Comet Percolator. :)
I seem to be a stove/fire junkie....just can't settle on one thing, and carry multiples on short trips just for fun.

Where did you find that little coffee pot? Some people are knife junkies yeah I'm one of them to also stoves cook sets but especially love coffee toys lol

bikebum1975
01-27-2016, 20:19
Yeah same here. To many toys to little money/space. I just happen to have a thing for vintage stoves and coffee gadgets. Got an old Coleman perkie about the size of yours

Greenmountainguy
01-28-2016, 21:34
Love my micro expresso maker, but even at several ounces, it is too heavy except for day hikes.
Use a conical filter and rubber band it to the rim of your cup, add grounds, pour boiling water, wait a few minutes. Alternatively, I have a plastic filter holder designed to sit over a cup at home. It is very light, like maybe two ounces but is it not small. In fact bigger than my cup.
The rubber band is not ideal, but it weights next to nothing. Carry an extra band or two. They break.

Greenmountainguy
01-28-2016, 21:42
eh, real backpackers chew their coffee anyway. Bring beans.
I have experimented with chocolate covered coffee beans. 6 or 7 give a serious caffeine rush and they taste good. If you are hard core, you can carry espresso roasted whole beans and just eat them. (Yes, I have done it. My coffee addicted female companion was appalled. I am no longer with her.) A box of them resides in my truck for a quick caffeine rush when I am without sleep and need to make miles.
There is a "breakfast trail mix" out there that has chocolate covered beans in it. Presumably so you can pack and go without brewing or boiling. Pretty hard core itself.

4eyedbuzzard
01-28-2016, 22:38
Grind your favorite beans. Fill empty one time use tea bags (you can buy them empty, drawstring or heat seal, and in different sizes). Basically a DIY version of those single packet Folgers and Maxwell House "coffee singles". Ground coffee goes stale quickly. Don't grind and fill too far in advance. Store in a ziplock. Immerse in hot water when required. If you like real cream, you can buy the mini-moo 1/2 and 1/2 cups that don't require refrigeration.

FlyFishNut
02-01-2016, 21:04
Grind your favorite beans. Fill empty one time use tea bags (you can buy them empty, drawstring or heat seal, and in different sizes). Basically a DIY version of those single packet Folgers and Maxwell House "coffee singles". Ground coffee goes stale quickly. Don't grind and fill too far in advance. Store in a ziplock. Immerse in hot water when required. If you like real cream, you can buy the mini-moo 1/2 and 1/2 cups that don't require refrigeration.

Hmmmmm -- This sounds good. I can coarse grind my favorite beans (I would guess the tea mesh is for leaves - so a coarse grind will help keep the grounds from sifting through). I've never seen empty tea bags for sale, I'm guessing Amazon? There are some upscale tea shops around here, but they probably charge a lot more. - Thanks for this idea.

I did a 2 night trip and brought those Sbucks Via's and drank 3-5 per morning and didn't love them, but were OK. Being in the snow and surrounded by great scenery makes everything taste better.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v633/flyfishnut/Gragg%20Prong%20tent_zpsfe5bfwly.jpg (http://smg.photobucket.com/user/flyfishnut/media/Gragg%20Prong%20tent_zpsfe5bfwly.jpg.html)

smokey mtn hiker
02-01-2016, 22:14
Instant with 2 sugar packets, maybe a little creamer packet if I remember to pack. Easier the better I say.

heatherfeather
02-01-2016, 22:20
I recently tried Nescafé azera espresso, picked it up at the Walmart. It mixes very nicely, has a nice creamy mouthfeel and isn't overly bitter. I highly recommend. I'm looking forward to drinking it on its own, but I love mixing with chocolate whey protein.

ChuckT
02-02-2016, 05:48
I've never seen Nescafe Azera Espresso in our local Walmart. Is it regional? What part of US are you in?

Deacon
02-02-2016, 07:39

I've had one of these pots since the mid 1950's, so they've been around a while. Inherited from my dad.

I know that doesn't help you but, just saying.

heatherfeather
02-02-2016, 09:37
I've never seen Nescafe Azera Espresso in our local Walmart. Is it regional? What part of US are you in?

I'm in Santa Fe, nm. And to be fair walmart has an annoying tendency to randomly stop carrying things I am hooked on. This is one of the old school ( non super center) Walmarts with a mostly Hispanic clientele. I also work in the pharmacy there, so have the benefit of seeing the stacks often.

ChuckT
02-03-2016, 06:06
Thank you. I'll look in our local Walmart for this.

ChuckDempsey
02-03-2016, 07:46
I mix my 'instant', sugar and 'creamer', all in a zip-lock. Then I mix it up, put three spoonful in a cup and add water. That is the same I drink at home, so I'm good......

sheepdog
02-03-2016, 22:15
I just make cowboy coffee. boil water add grounds wait and drink. Instant coffee is just nasty....It had to be said.

NoSew
02-03-2016, 22:35
http://www.cascadedesigns.com/msr/cookware/cookware-accessories/mugmate-coffee/tea-filter/product

hikehunter
02-04-2016, 04:45
http://youtube/C2J_5WxELyo

This is how I make my coffee on the trail....:banana

hikehunter
02-04-2016, 04:48
https://youtu.be/C2J_5WxELyo

Sorry I can't type.

pickNgrin
02-04-2016, 22:11
I drink my coffee black. Instant is not an option when you don't use cream and sugar. Folgers Singles are ok in a pinch, but still not a "real coffee" experience.

This works well. You put in a regular coffee filter, your ground of choice, and pour boiling water on top. It drips into your cup just like a regular drip coffee maker at home. Not too shabby, and no messy cleanup like with a press.

http://www.rei.com/product/401153/one-cup-coffee-maker

pickNgrin
02-04-2016, 22:16
I drink my coffee black. Instant is not an option when you don't use cream and sugar. Folgers Singles are ok in a pinch, but still not a "real coffee" experience.

This works well. You put in a regular coffee filter, your ground of choice, and pour boiling water on top. It drips into your cup just like a regular drip coffee maker at home. Not too shabby, and no messy cleanup like with a press.

http://www.rei.com/product/401153/one-cup-coffee-maker

Actually, this is more like what I have. It takes a paper filter. http://www.amazon.com/Melitta-Ready-Single-Coffee-Brewer/dp/B0014CVEH6

aka.cyberman
02-11-2016, 23:40
+1 on Starbucks Instant....I like the Columbian....

fabianscorpio
03-23-2016, 11:37
I priced coffee packets, and the cheapest I found was 19 packets for 5 bucks....Because I don't like instant coffee, nor did I like the price of 200 days of coffee, I made my own coffee packets! I used regular sized coffee filters, added a heaping teaspoon of folger's coffee grounds, folded it into a pouch, and used kite string and a stapler to seal it off! Fresh coffee!!!! And it only cost me about 15 bucks in materials/ingredients, for about 150 packets of coffee!) (300/400 ML in the jetboil per packet)

fabianscorpio
03-23-2016, 11:39
oh...and I used powdered french vanilla creamer....some generic crap from the dollar store. :)

Miel
03-23-2016, 12:48
Believe it or not, those cheap little $1 jars of Pampa instant are quite tasty! A little sweet even without sugar, perhaps bcause this is a South American company. (Like Mexican versions of our sodas are sweeter than the ones bottled in the U.S). They last about three days for a person who drinks 5 - 6 cuppas a day. So, maybe two jars if you're going into a town once a week or so. I'm fine with instant; I don't like the waste of the aforementioned Folger's singles (the packaging). But I'm obsessed with these things. :D I have to have my hot coffee throughout the day, and this is going to be a real challenge if I don't want to stop every couple of hours to boil water. (It already was a challenge on the Long Trail, Vermont, and during Bikecentennial with my parents; I made do, but not happily, lol.)

Miel
03-23-2016, 12:50
I priced coffee packets, and the cheapest I found was 19 packets for 5 bucks....Because I don't like instant coffee, nor did I like the price of 200 days of coffee, I made my own coffee packets! I used regular sized coffee filters, added a heaping teaspoon of folger's coffee grounds, folded it into a pouch, and used kite string and a stapler to seal it off! Fresh coffee!!!! And it only cost me about 15 bucks in materials/ingredients, for about 150 packets of coffee!) (300/400 ML in the jetboil per packet)

So resourceful, you! Thanks for posting a great solutions for we coffee lovers.

ChuckT
03-23-2016, 13:12

Hmm, did you use Stainless Steel staples?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

fabianscorpio
03-23-2016, 17:10
I dont know if they were stainless steel. For the amount of time they are in the water, does it matter? Besides, I'm also drinking water from streams and puddles and relying on my filter to save me...hahaha

Sarcasm the elf
03-23-2016, 17:24
Regarding creamers. I recently realized that carrying a couple of the small airplane size bottles of Bailey's irish creme allows me to carry real creme that doesn't go bad on the trail. I found thst less than an ounce of bailey's per cup works for me and I like the flavor it imparts. Might not be a perfect solution for everyday during a thru hike, but it works well for my sections.

sheepdog
03-23-2016, 17:26
I make cowboy coffee...instant coffee sucks.....it had to be said

MtDoraDave
04-02-2016, 09:58
Instant. I've tried several of them, and the Nescafe French Roast is my current favorite. Better than the Starbucks Via - and much cheaper.

Cowboy coffee is probably better, but my last trip, I saw some grounds on the ground next to a shelter. Instant eliminates the temptation to litter the environment with the leftover grounds.

Rex Clifton
04-02-2016, 11:18
I've mostly eliminated coffee altogether on the trail. In the morning I pop a 200mg caffeine pill and at lunch mix up an energy drink that contains caffeine. That keep me from going through withdrawal symptoms plus extends my gas canister, I since I only need to do one burn a day.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

left52side
04-02-2016, 15:42
Regarding creamers. I recently realized that carrying a couple of the small airplane size bottles of Bailey's irish creme allows me to carry real creme that doesn't go bad on the trail. I found thst less than an ounce of bailey's per cup works for me and I like the flavor it imparts. Might not be a perfect solution for everyday during a thru hike, but it works well for my sections.
I found so condensed creamer in my local wal mart store several different flavors right around two ounces and looks like a sweetened condensed milk texture.
I used it with sugar packets and seems to work good for me.

BonBon
04-03-2016, 08:04
Started with nice coffee. By about halfway I was mixing a pack (or two) of instant into a pack (or two) of instant breakfast. Yummy and lots of calories and very light.

jlp1976
06-18-2016, 09:04
I used these in the field when I was in the Army. Already mixed with sugar and cream: Maxim Mocha Gold Korean Instant Coffee.

CJOttawa
06-19-2016, 20:12
Article - Taste Test: The Best Instant Coffee (http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/04/05/best-instant-coffee_n_1405887.html)

To the coffee snobs: try each of those until you find one you like. Starbucks VIA (already mentioned up-thread) and Jacob's Kronung are excellent. I've had "Medaglia D’Oro" instant espresso too and you'd be hard pressed to tell it's instant.

I can't fathom bring a freaking coffee press on the trail.

Venchka
06-19-2016, 22:09
Cafe Bustelo single serving instant. $1.00 / 6 servings at Target or HEB.

Wayne

Old. Slow. "Smarter than the average bear."

Venchka
06-19-2016, 22:15
I can't believe I read the Huffington Post.
No worries. #3 & #4 on the Top 5 list are ready to go in my ULA Circuit.

Wayne

zelph
06-20-2016, 10:11
I've mostly eliminated coffee altogether on the trail. In the morning I pop a 200mg caffeine pill and at lunch mix up an energy drink that contains caffeine. That keep me from going through withdrawal symptoms plus extends my gas canister, I since I only need to do one burn a day.
Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

What brand name caffeine pill?

plexusbritt
06-20-2016, 12:16
Folger's instant in the little sleeves. I use two to my cooking pot/cup (gotta love dual purpose gear lol) and that is enough to get me going in the morning. I drink it black so no frills for me!

colorado_rob
06-20-2016, 12:20
I can't believe I read the Huffington Post.
Yeah, same here. I was convinced instant Starbucks beat anything else (instant wise) hands down, but now that the Huff Post says Starbuck's capture 3 out of the top 15 instant coffees (#1, #3 and #11), I'm going to have to reconsider and drink some other swill....

Venchka
06-20-2016, 15:43
Rob,
Try #4 on the list. Cafe Bustelo single serve instant. 6 servings for $1.00 at Target.

Wayne

colorado_rob
06-20-2016, 15:50
Rob,
Try #4 on the list. Cafe Bustelo single serve instant. 6 servings for $1.00 at Target.
I will! thanks for the tip.

Venchka
06-20-2016, 17:07
You're welcome.

Wayne

Engine
07-13-2016, 03:18
We use one of these steepers (from Campmor if I remember correctly) with whatever decent coffee we can find in town...nothing beats real fresh brewed coffee and at less than an ounce, it's worth the weight!

Greenlight
07-13-2016, 06:52
As much as I'm a coffee snob when I'm at home, on the trail I really couldn't care less. I go to Wally World and buy the cheapest (Great Value TM) single serve instant coffee packets. While I'm there I'll pick up some single serve Yoo Hoo chocolate milk packets, too. With that, you have your choice of three hot drinks on the trail: Coffee, cocoa, or mocha choke'a latte.

Five Tango
07-13-2016, 07:24
Barney's Brew Sticks-I get them at my local Ingles Market.They are not a stick,it's a finger sized tube with highly concentrated coffee liquid in it.Smoothest coffee I have ever tasted and would drink it every day but for the price.Less waste than "tea bag coffee",no grounds to dispose of,not as convenient as instant crystals but a much better drink overall.Just my opinion as everyone's tastes are different.

MtDoraDave
07-13-2016, 07:43
Article - Taste Test: The Best Instant Coffee (http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/04/05/best-instant-coffee_n_1405887.html)

To the coffee snobs: try each of those until you find one you like. Starbucks VIA (already mentioned up-thread) and Jacob's Kronung are excellent. I've had "Medaglia D’Oro" instant espresso too and you'd be hard pressed to tell it's instant.

I can't fathom bring a freaking coffee press on the trail.

If coffee is important to you, the extra ounce or two for a press made for your jetboil isn't a very steep weight penalty. Bringing an entire coffee press system that isn't part of your stove/ cookware... well, again, hyoh - and if "good" coffee is that high on one's priority list, so be it.

ChuckT
07-13-2016, 08:27
A press does take up space in the pack and it's another gizmo to keep track of.
2 no votes from me.

egilbe
07-13-2016, 08:40
A press does take up space in the pack and it's another gizmo to keep track of.
2 no votes from me.

I cant keep track of gear I wear everyday, like a hat. I would surely lose a coffee press.

ChuckT
07-13-2016, 08:54
Why I favor bright colored small "stuff" - maybe (!) I won't loose it/them then.

CalebJ
07-13-2016, 10:16
If coffee is important to you, the extra ounce or two for a press made for your jetboil isn't a very steep weight penalty. Bringing an entire coffee press system that isn't part of your stove/ cookware... well, again, hyoh - and if "good" coffee is that high on one's priority list, so be it.

My frustration with the press is that it's a pain to clean. You have to deal with the coffee grounds each time and rinse them out. Other methods are much simpler in that regard. For example, the Aeropress basically just pops them out at the bottom. I love french press coffee, it's just not worth it to me on the trail.

Maydog
07-13-2016, 12:44
Even a cup of instant coffee in the woods is paradise.

GDM
07-13-2016, 13:29
i drink coffee with milk at home. After coming back from Philmont (where I brought plenty of Starbucks Via instant), I'm a mocha convert when backpacking.

Sent from my VS990 using Tapatalk

Greenmountainguy
08-26-2017, 21:04
Believe it or not, those cheap little $1 jars of Pampa instant are quite tasty! A little sweet even without sugar... They last about three days for a person who drinks 5 - 6 cuppas a day. So, maybe two jars if you're going into a town once a week or so. I'm fine with instant; I don't like the waste of the aforementioned Folger's singles (the packaging). But I'm obsessed with these things. :D I have to have my hot coffee throughout the day,
I wonder if I could use small squares of white muslin to make coffee bags? I could tie them shut with cotton string or the mentioned staples. It would be simpler and lighter than using my cup filters. Just a thought. I may try it.

TX Aggie
08-26-2017, 21:14
My frustration with the press is that it's a pain to clean. You have to deal with the coffee grounds each time and rinse them out. Other methods are much simpler in that regard. For example, the Aeropress basically just pops them out at the bottom. I love french press coffee, it's just not worth it to me on the trail.

Ditto here. I regularly use a French Press at home, but on the trail I just bounce between what ever instant I find at the store.

For years I swore I wouldn't become a coffee drinker. Even made it through 5 years active duty Army without going to the dark side......then I got deployed to Iraq working 20+ hours a day for weeks at a time.

Now, I love coffee. I'm not a snob by any means, but I do appreciate a good cup (or 5) in the morning, but on the trail anything that's light and doesn't require an extra pack-out is from ne in my book.

Traffic Jam
08-26-2017, 21:17
I wonder if I could use small squares of white muslin to make coffee bags? I could tie them shut with cotton string or the mentioned staples. It would be simpler and lighter than using my cup filters. Just a thought. I may try it.

I don't see why that wouldn't work. Bonus if you carry one piece of muslin and reuse it.

I have tried the tea bags that you seal with an iron but found they weren't big enough for the amount of coffee that I wanted in each bag.

jeremywerlin
08-28-2017, 12:36
3:1 Thai instant coffee packs.

Greenmountainguy
08-29-2017, 18:31
I don't see why that wouldn't work. Bonus if you carry one piece of muslin and reuse it.

I have tried the tea bags that you seal with an iron but found they weren't big enough for the amount of coffee that I wanted in each bag.
You used to be able to get coffee bags from makers like Folgers. I tried them and they were thin and insipid. Apparently they were mostly instant cofffee with some ground coffee to improve the flavor, although I can testify they did nothing to improve the density of the drink. I am not sure if pouring boiling water over a homemade coffee bag would be enough to make real coffee. I will try it some time. Oh...maybe I would have to boil it for a minute or three in a pot? Of course that increases the fiddle time. I found a one cup permanent gold filter in Goodwill, but it does not fit most large cups including some I use for backpacking with a large mouth.

MuddyWaters
08-30-2017, 03:00
Easy to make pourover with small very light setup if want real coffee on trail.
If you know how to make coffee, that is.
A plastic hario v60 in 01 size is all really need
If not, stick to instant

JeffreyH
08-30-2017, 08:35
I prefer brewing coffee in the copper cezve.
I chose a copper one because of its low weight.

For me, it tastes much better than any instant coffee I've tried.
Just need to heat the coffee in the cezve until it brews, but not boils.
The whole process takes about 10 mins, but the taste is inexpressible.

Another Kevin
08-30-2017, 11:10
I'm surprised that I never weighed in on this thread.

I use one of these: https://www.rei.com/product/784659/gsi-outdoors-ultralight-java-drip-coffee-maker

If I can't have real coffee I'm not going.

The filter is 0.4 ounce (about 12 grams), which I don't mind carrying in order to have real coffee. I use a paper filter inside to aid in cleanup and make stronger coffee - if I use the GSI without another filter it drips fast and comes out a little weak to my taste.

Before GSI brought out that filter, I used a Melitta cone.

swisscross
08-30-2017, 11:36
Take a look at the ortleib cone filter.

blw2
08-30-2017, 13:42
I prefer brewing coffee in the copper cezve.
I chose a copper one because of its low weight.

For me, it tastes much better than any instant coffee I've tried.
Just need to heat the coffee in the cezve until it brews, but not boils.
The whole process takes about 10 mins, but the taste is inexpressible.

I'm curious how this works...maybe I'll look for a youtube on it later....but I'm wondering if grounds are filtered with this method?
I've come to learn that drip coffee imparts some bad flavors just through the "mechanics" of how it works. I had a situation when RV-ing where I couldn't run my generator to operate my k-cup machine....so I cut open a k-cup and dumped the grounds into some near boiling water, letting them steep a few minutes, then filtered through a paper towel. WOW, it was so much better tasting!

MuddyWaters
08-30-2017, 16:07
I've come to learn that drip coffee imparts some bad flavors just through the "mechanics" of how it works.

Uh....no.

Learn about coffee.

The winner at barista championships is always a pour over (drip).

Its a balance between extracting the desireable flavors vs undesireable.

Water temp, contact time, grind size, agitation of bed, are all critical.

But well known for every method out there. Even a neophyte can make excellent coffee, by following directions, if they start with good fresh roasted beans.

However, you must start with good , fresh coffee, ground right before use.

Vast majority of people have never had good coffee. Because its not possible buying it at grocery store. Coffee beans lose half their flavors within 2 weeks of roasting. Grind it, maybe a day or so.
With the adulterants most put in it, to mask the bitter charred taste, if low quality, stale, over roasted coffee, it dont matter to them either.

You kcup machine has a well known problem. It doesnt use hot enough water. 190 is too low. Needs 200f or so. It under-extracts (In addition to old stale gross over roasted pre ground cheap coffee.) Machine maker is more concerned with dumba$$ burning themself than making real coffee. Its nothing but swill. Ive had 2. Its a last resort.

Sly
08-30-2017, 16:11
MSR Mug Mate

https://www.rei.com/product/726094/msr-mugmate-coffeetea-filter

blw2
08-30-2017, 16:24
Yeah, I don't know.... I'm no food scientist. I'll ask my brother in law the next time I see him, who actually is a food scientist.

I just know I read somewhere about some undesirable compounds that come out during the drip...(oxidization maybe?). All I know is that boiled/immersed grounds seem to release much more flavor without as many bitters and other off flavors...& even when using the exact same grounds from a k-cup....which certainly aren't that great to begin with.

Anyway, I suspect that the winner of a barista competition could very well have a lot to do with the judges as well... Some folks would pick some weak folgers as winners over something I would like.....

MuddyWaters
08-30-2017, 17:08
Yeah, I don't know.... I'm no food scientist. I'll ask my brother in law the next time I see him, who actually is a food scientist.

I just know I read somewhere about some undesirable compounds that come out during the drip...(oxidization maybe?). All I know is that boiled/immersed grounds seem to release much more flavor without as many bitters and other off flavors...& even when using the exact same grounds from a k-cup....which certainly aren't that great to begin with.

Anyway, I suspect that the winner of a barista competition could very well have a lot to do with the judges as well... Some folks would pick some weak folgers as winners over something I would like.....
A french press, which is immersion, relys on coarse grounds and limited time not to over extract. You still allow water to cool to about 200 .

Boiling water is bad, bitter compounds will extract . There are thousands of compounds in roasted coffee, it is one of the most complex "foods".

Making good coffee is both art, and science.

MuddyWaters
08-30-2017, 17:13

A french press, which is immersion, relys on coarse grounds and limited time not to over extract. You still allow water to cool to about 200 .

Boiling water is bad, bitter compounds will extract . There are thousands of compounds in roasted coffee, it is one of the most complex "foods".
Your k cup has a relatively fine grind due to very short contact time and cold water. Coupling that with boiling water, and immersion for even short time would be expected to be not real good....even relative to normal keurig.
Making good coffee is both art, and science. Unfortunately it starts with farmer and picking and processing, and has myriad of ways to go wrong. A good coffee, is delicious, balanced, strong, aromatic, no bitterness, and has chocolaty and fruity, or floral , or earthy flavors. It doesnt taste like char. Which is all you can buy at your supermarket, char.

JeffreyH
09-01-2017, 13:21
I'm wondering if grounds are filtered with this method?

After you pour coffee into the cup, it is better to wait a couple of minutes until grounds don't sink to the bottom.
Or you may just use a paper filter to save your time.

You may check this video. It doesn't fit best, but you'll get the general idea of this method.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TvNWLrRzIAM

MuddyWaters
09-01-2017, 15:47
After you pour coffee into the cup, it is better to wait a couple of minutes until grounds don't sink to the bottom.

You may check this video. It doesn't fit best, but you'll get the general idea of this method.

Takes a particular grinder to make turkish grind. I have a hand grinder that will do it. It was $300. Tolerances of 0.001". Way finer than espresso, basically its dust. You can buy special turkish grinder to do it cheaper, but thats all it will do. And it takes forever by hand.

They makin cowboy coffee, not turkish.

Notice recipe in video, tsp sugar to tsp coffee. Reason is...its nasty. Thats why add cardamom and spices too.

Just like arabic coffee, you choke down a tiny tiny amount because its awful. Particularly when made with rosewater....

The espresso machine was invented to make strong , thick bodied, GOOD coffee shots with crema. It takes 9 bar pressure, even very fine grind from $$$ grinder, controlled temp, and 20 sec pull time to.accomplish without being undrinkably bitter.

All good coffee making is attempt to extract a balanced solution of acidic, sweet, and bitter. flavors . Its too easy to extract too.much bitterness. Fine grinds, boiling hot water, uncontrolled contact times result in exactly that. Bitterness. Which is why most also drink dilute weak coffee.

blw2
09-01-2017, 16:04

Watched the video, thanks for that.

Says best served with a glass of water..... yeah, for washing down those grounds you'll pick up in the dregs near the bottom of the cup!
Best I suppose with this style, to let it sit a while and settle before drinking, then only drinking about half the cup. Even though the grind is super fine, it's still bound to have a lot of suspended grit
Still, I'd like to try it..... May pick up some pre-ground stuff in the store some day and just do it in a regular cook pot....

MuddyWaters
09-01-2017, 16:19
Watched the video, thanks for that.

Says best served with a glass of water..... yeah, for washing down those grounds you'll pick up in the dregs near the bottom of the cup!
Best I suppose with this style, to let it sit a while and settle before drinking, then only drinking about half the cup. Even though the grind is super fine, it's still bound to have a lot of suspended grit
Still, I'd like to try it..... May pick up some pre-ground stuff in the store some day and just do it in a regular cook pot....

https://prima-coffee.com/equipment/specialty-turkish-coffee/stc-grinder

Traffic Jam
09-13-2017, 16:26
I'm surprised that I never weighed in on this thread.

I use one of these: https://www.rei.com/product/784659/gsi-outdoors-ultralight-java-drip-coffee-maker

If I can't have real coffee I'm not going.

The filter is 0.4 ounce (about 12 grams), which I don't mind carrying in order to have real coffee. I use a paper filter inside to aid in cleanup and make stronger coffee - if I use the GSI without another filter it drips fast and comes out a little weak to my taste.

I tested this today and you're right, the coffee is weak without a paper filter. Even adding a filter, I had to use more coffee than normal to get it strong enough for me.

Not sure it's worth it to me to carry the extra filters and coffee but will do a field test before losing it in the gear box.

Lynnette
09-13-2017, 19:12
I buy instant packets and Folgers mocha cappacino on super clearance at Walmart. Put the powder in a zip lock. Both the packets and the cappacino can be dissolved in cold water in your smart bottle or 1L playpus and hung up at night next to your food. Then in morning grab it, hike or grab it and heat. Dont recommend any thing hung overnight with marsh mellows in the cold. What ever your container is never comes clean again. Hike and coffee go together.

MuddyWaters
09-13-2017, 20:19
I tested this today and you're right, the coffee is weak without a paper filter. Even adding a filter, I had to use more coffee than normal to get it strong enough for me.

Not sure it's worth it to me to carry the extra filters and coffee but will do a field test before losing it in the gear box.
You should adjust the grind size to drip coffee to flow at right rate.
Smaller will slow it down and extract more making it stronger
Most larger grocery stores have grinder and sell some type whole beans if std drip grind doesnt work. Or filters....did u use a melitta type filter? Or normal ultra thin .

Maineiac64
09-13-2017, 20:39
I like great coffee and at home have a nice espresso machine, grinder, pour over set-up, and aero press. I noticed in a recent reddit thread on instant coffee for the trail that recommended mount hagen instant coffee. I tried it and it was excellent, highly recommended, very good. It can be purchased at amazon and sprouts carries it at their stores.

nsherry61
09-13-2017, 22:17
I tested this today and you're right, the coffee is weak without a paper filter. Even adding a filter, I had to use more coffee than normal to get it strong enough for me. . .
Come on guys. I drink crazy strong coffee and that GSI filter cone totally rocks WITHOUT PAPER.
1) Paper filters add paper flavor to the coffee. Yuck. When I use paper filters (quite often at home) I always pre-rinse them with hot water so they don't add paper flavor to my coffee.
2) Paper is only necessary to extend the brewing time in the GSI filter if you pour water over the GSI filter the same way you do into a paper filter . . . too fast. The GSI filter makes truly awesome coffee as long as the grind is fine enough (a typically cone filter grind) and you dribble a bit of water into the filter to get the grounds wet. Then you pour a little more water over the grounds until they are just floating, let it extract a bit, then pour enough to get the grounds floating again. If you pour the water over the grounds fast enough to make a whole cup in less than three or four pours, you're going way to fast!

Traffic Jam
09-14-2017, 16:48
Come on guys. I drink crazy strong coffee and that GSI filter cone totally rocks WITHOUT PAPER.
1) Paper filters add paper flavor to the coffee. Yuck. When I use paper filters (quite often at home) I always pre-rinse them with hot water so they don't add paper flavor to my coffee.
2) Paper is only necessary to extend the brewing time in the GSI filter if you pour water over the GSI filter the same way you do into a paper filter . . . too fast. The GSI filter makes truly awesome coffee as long as the grind is fine enough (a typically cone filter grind) and you dribble a bit of water into the filter to get the grounds wet. Then you pour a little more water over the grounds until they are just floating, let it extract a bit, then pour enough to get the grounds floating again. If you pour the water over the grounds fast enough to make a whole cup in less than three or four pours, you're going way to fast!

I will try it again with a finer grind since you endorse it so heartily.

Traffic Jam
09-14-2017, 16:56
You should adjust the grind size to drip coffee to flow at right rate.
Smaller will slow it down and extract more making it stronger
Most larger grocery stores have grinder and sell some type whole beans if std drip grind doesnt work. Or filters....did u use a melitta type filter? Or normal ultra thin .

I used a generic, natural brown filter, size 4.

I think it's sinking in about the grind. Thanks for sharing your expertise.

jensaito
09-15-2017, 14:58
I have bought last fall Planetary Design Table Top French Press and it does a good job of filtering out grinds than other models I had before. It’s insulated and keeps coffee drinkably warm an hour longer than noninsulated models, and made of metal, so there’s no risk of broken glass in your backpack. You can choose the different size, the number of cups at a time depends on your choice.

MuddyWaters
09-15-2017, 15:09
I used a generic, natural brown filter, size 4.

I think it's sinking in about the grind. Thanks for sharing your expertise.
Grind size is critical to outcome for each method of making coffee. As is water temperature.

A pour-over type is the most sensitive to how its poured, etc but also offers the most control over outcome. A less sensitive method is immersion with coarser grind particles such as a French press, aeropress, or a clever dripper.

If I was to actually want to make good coffee on the trail I probably bring a thermometer and a clever dripper. Prepackaged weighed fresh ground amounts of coffee and the clever dripper marked for the right volume of water.

Actually scratch that, I'd probably bring a small Grinder like a Hario slim and whole beans.... That would make the biggest difference

CalebJ
09-15-2017, 15:38
I've taken a Hario mini mill with a press in the past. Made for a great cup of coffee in the morning, but the cleanup is just a mess. It's easy to dump the bulk of the grounds into a ziplock bag, but how do you handle getting the rest of them? At home I just rinse them into the drain, but that's not really appropriate on the trail.

MuddyWaters
09-15-2017, 16:02
I've taken a Hario mini mill with a press in the past. Made for a great cup of coffee in the morning, but the cleanup is just a mess. It's easy to dump the bulk of the grounds into a ziplock bag, but how do you handle getting the rest of them? At home I just rinse them into the drain, but that's not really appropriate on the trail.
I wouldnt worry about scatterring a little brown plant fiber.

Cheyou
09-15-2017, 16:46
I wouldnt worry about scatterring a little brown plant fiber.

Is that leave a no trace approved method? Or IRDGAF method.

Sarcasm the elf
09-15-2017, 17:03

Careful now, there was once a 4 page long argument on here about how to dispose of coffee grounds... :eek:

https://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php/71933-Coffee-grounds-and-tea-leaves-OK-to-scatter

MuddyWaters
09-15-2017, 17:17

Lnt means...no one would ever know you were there

Scattering 1/2 oz of dry brown, vegetable matter, off trail, over a wide area meets that criteria

More than anything else you can do

Putting in privy might be ok too. Coffee grounds are used for composting. I wouldnt expect trail assoc to ok it though

Redbird2
12-04-2017, 22:37
Starbucks Via. i bring different varieties to mix it up a little.

swjohnsey
12-04-2017, 22:51

I use the IRDGAF method.

D2maine
12-04-2017, 23:19
Lnt means...no one would ever know you were there

Scattering 1/2 oz of dry brown, vegetable matter, off trail, over a wide area meets that criteria

More than anything else you can do

Putting in privy might be ok too. Coffee grounds are used for composting. I wouldnt expect trail assoc to ok it though

NO - Leave No Trace means LEAVE NO TRACE you don't get to redefine it to suit personal preference or laziness which is what scattering the grinds really is.

D2maine
12-04-2017, 23:41
just so there is no question here is the relevant leave no trace principal - bolded is mine

Pack it in, pack it out. Inspect your campsite and rest areas for trash or spilled foods. Pack out all trash, leftover food and litter.

https://lnt.org/learn/7-principles

rocketsocks
12-05-2017, 10:57
When we die do we leave a trace? What if our kin don’t practice LNT?

D2maine
12-05-2017, 11:13
When we die do we leave a trace? What if our kin don’t practice LNT?

nice strawman got any argument w/LNT principals you could contact LNT.org

how about you simply leave a shared resource better than you found it. think of something besides our own selfish needs.

Hikes in Rain
12-05-2017, 12:24
When dried, used coffee grounds burn nicely. If there's an established fire ring, just mix them into the ashes, and the next fire will turn the grounds into more ashes.

D2maine
12-05-2017, 14:06
When dried, used coffee grounds burn nicely. If there's an established fire ring, just mix them into the ashes, and the next fire will turn the grounds into more ashes. <----working hard to avoid doing the right thing

simply pack em out, after all you brought them in

daddytwosticks
12-05-2017, 16:26
There was a post several years ago about a hiker who would rake some of the forest duff and/or leaves into a heap to add extra cushioning under his tent. He was crucified by the stringent LNT hikers for not following the prescribed practices even when he would scatter the leaves/duff after breaking camp in the morning.

Venchka
12-05-2017, 16:39
There is only one way to Leave No Trace: Stay at home.
Wayne

D2maine
12-05-2017, 16:44
There is only one way to Leave No Trace: Stay at home.
Wayne

thats great- has no bearing on this discussion but if that works for you...HYOH Hike Your Own Home...

Venchka
12-05-2017, 17:20
thats great- has no bearing on this discussion but if that works for you...HYOH Hike Your Own Home...
Think about it. If a human enters a wild area, the wild area is changed. Like the notion in Jurassic Park: “If you observe the dinosaurs you will change them.”
The idea that humans can traverse a wilderness and leave no trace of their passage is ...
I should be quiet now. Think about it.
Wayne

Venchka
12-05-2017, 17:22
PS:
The leave no trace discussion started long before I said anything.
Wayne

colorado_rob
12-05-2017, 19:29
thats great- has no bearing on this discussion but if blah, blah, blah...
Pal, YOUR Nazi LNT post is what has absolutely nothing to do with this thread.

devoidapop
12-05-2017, 19:45
Two easiest ways to pick a fight on WB; mention dogs or LNT. We really need a thread on keeping LNT while thru hiking with a dog.

ScareBear
12-05-2017, 20:04
Two easiest ways to pick a fight on WB; mention dogs or LNT. We really need a thread on keeping LNT while thru hiking with a dog.

Well, since my dog doesn't use toilet paper, do I have to bury his poop? I mean, I see bear poop on the AT all time...

D2maine
12-05-2017, 21:22
Pal, YOUR Nazi LNT post is what has absolutely nothing to do with this thread.

welcome godwin

D2maine
12-05-2017, 21:51

it truly is a sad statement that LNT would be controversial on a hiking forum... it is not a difficult thing to follow and the results are reasonable protections for a beloved shared resource.

you don't get to redefine LNT for your own selfish ends by calling coffee grounds vegetable matter instead of food or throwing out crazy straw man arguments about your dead body violating LNT to devalue the principals of LNT.

LNT is all the same lessons we learned in kindergarten. try acting like kindergartners instead of adults.

back to the op - starbucks via mixed with hot chocolate for my morning mocha.

Sarcasm the elf
12-05-2017, 21:53
When dried, used coffee grounds burn nicely. If there's an established fire ring, just mix them into the ashes, and the next fire will turn the grounds into more ashes.

That seems like a lot of work for a little reward, personally I find it easier and more useful to disperse once used grounds into water sources, once they steep for a while they provide free, premade coffee for those behind me.

Hikes in Rain
12-05-2017, 22:01
That seems like a lot of work for a little reward, personally I find it easier and more useful to disperse once used grounds into water sources, once they steep for a while they provide free, premade coffee for those behind me.

No coffee left in the grounds when I've finished with them. I like my coffee strong enough to float a horseshoe! :sun

Sarcasm the elf
12-05-2017, 22:19
No coffee left in the grounds when I've finished with them. I like my coffee strong enough to float a horseshoe! :sun

Coincidently I carry a couple of horseshoes too. When I'm high up on some steep inaccessable trail it's always fun to put a few random hoofprints in the mud just to mess with people. :D

colorado_rob
12-05-2017, 22:48
it truly is a sad statement that LNT would be controversial on a hiking forum... it is not a difficult thing to follow and the results are reasonable protections for a beloved shared resource. It's not controversial. What's "controversial" (AKA annoying) is why on earth you insert LNT preaching in a coffee choice thread????? Of course I, and I hope most, subscribe to LNT principals. But AGAIN, what the fook does this have to do with trail coffee choices? What's next, on trail food threads are you going to preach there too?

And what the heck does "welcome godwin" mean? No need to answer, don't really care.

TX Aggie
12-05-2017, 22:57
Well that escalated. What’s the best way to make popcorn on the trail?

Sarcasm the elf
12-05-2017, 23:02
Well that escalated. What’s the best way to make popcorn on the trail?

Not sure, but if you spit out the unpopped kernals on trail: whatever you do, don't post about it on the internet. :rolleyes:

TX Aggie
12-05-2017, 23:10
Not sure, but if you spit out the unpopped kernals on trail: whatever you do, don't post about it on the internet. :rolleyes:

Staying true to your name, I like it.

D2maine
12-05-2017, 23:11
It's not controversial. What's "controversial" (AKA annoying) is why on earth you insert LNT preaching in a coffee choice thread????? Of course I, and I hope most, subscribe to LNT principals. But AGAIN, what the fook does this have to do with trail coffee choices? What's next, on trail food threads are you going to preach there too?

And what the heck does "welcome godwin" mean? No need to answer, don't really care.

i was not the person to raise leave no trace issues with disposing of used grounds, its an acceptable side bar to the topic. if not the mods can feel free to remove it as they see fit.

D2maine
12-05-2017, 23:12

there really should be a way to add rep on this forum...

blw2
12-05-2017, 23:29
there really should be a way to add rep on this forum...

I agree. I'll admit to actually laughing out loud to that one after reading this thread. Good one Sarcasm the elf (https://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/member.php/26465-Sarcasm-the-elf)!

Venchka
12-05-2017, 23:33
Love it! Point well taken.
What was I thinking?
Wayne

colorado_rob
12-05-2017, 23:39
i was not the person to raise leave no trace issues with disposing of used grounds, its an acceptable side bar to the topic. if not the mods can feel free to remove it as they see fit.They won't, but I'll still say my peace too about hijacking, which of course, I am currently doing as well.

Since it's hijacked, I do have one comment on "LNT"... As Wayne alluded to, there is simply no way to leave no trace when hiking. I know it's just semantics, but I sure wish whoever started LNT called it "Leave Minimal Trace" or something like that.

And for the record, though I never do it (because I use instant coffee) I find no problem with burying coffee grounds in your poop hole in the morning. Not sure why coffee grounds are any more of a "trace" than poop? But to each his/her own ethics.

Venchka
12-05-2017, 23:58
My last thought on LNT & then I’ll shut up.
What was wrong with “Take only photos. Leave only footprints.”?
Wayne

TX Aggie
12-06-2017, 00:42
They won't, but I'll still say my peace too about hijacking, which of course, I am currently doing as well.

Since it's hijacked, I do have one comment on "LNT"... As Wayne alluded to, there is simply no way to leave no trace when hiking. I know it's just semantics, but I sure wish whoever started LNT called it "Leave Minimal Trace" or something like that.

And for the record, though I never do it (because I use instant coffee) I find no problem with burying coffee grounds in your poop hole in the morning. Not sure why coffee grounds are any more of a "trace" than poop? But to each his/her own ethics.

My only issue with dumping coffee grounds is I’m curious how many bears come stumbling by in the morning trying to get their caffeine fix from discarded grounds near a shelter campfire.

rocketsocks
12-06-2017, 08:29
My only issue with dumping coffee grounds is I’m curious how many bears come stumbling by in the morning trying to get their caffeine fix from discarded grounds near a shelter campfire.

Sent from my iPhone using TapatalkI make em walk to the nearest road crossing garbage can and dive for it.

Hikes in Rain
12-07-2017, 10:28
Coincidently I carry a couple of horseshoes too. When I'm high up on some steep inaccessable trail it's always fun to put a few random hoofprints in the mud just to mess with people. :D

I was going to make a sarcastic comeback about titanium horseshoes, since I'd love to do this kind of thing to my fellow hikers, too. ;) But then I found they really do have them! http://www.championhorseshoe.com/home.html

jj dont play
12-07-2017, 10:46
Starbucks iced coffee mix, mixes well in cold water..I don't carry a stove..that's what I did for my thru
Caffeine pills and L-theanine now, lighter, quicker and more effective

theinfamousj
12-07-2017, 10:55
how about you simply leave a shared resource better than you found it.

So, by this argument, fertilizing acid loving plants with used coffee grounds by not packing them out would be exactly the thing to do. After all, you are leaving it better than you found it if you give a plant desired and needed nutrition.

Sent from my SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Sarcasm the elf
12-07-2017, 11:09
So, by this argument, fertilizing acid loving plants with used coffee grounds by not packing them out would be exactly the thing to do. After all, you are leaving it better than you found it if you give a plant desired and needed nutrition.

Acid loving plants? You mean like hallucinogenic mushrooms? ;)

theinfamousj
12-07-2017, 11:28
Acid loving plants? You mean like hallucinogenic mushrooms? ;)I was thinking rhododendrons (which are plentiful along my region of the AT), but I won't deny any plant their coffee ground nutritients. ;)

D2maine
12-07-2017, 11:36

pretzel logic at its best

theinfamousj
12-07-2017, 11:40
pretzel logic at its bestNot at all. Just that "leave it better than you found it" isn't the instructions you wish to convey. Because leaving something better than you found it means to better the thing: water plants, help trapped fish get back to the school, fertilize plants in need of nutrition, prune diseases limbs from trees that the trees may have a longer life, etc. Being good stewards.

You mean "leave no trace". No Trace means that whatever the state of the thing when you encountered it is the state it remains in. Trees die of disease. Plants die of malnutrition. Fish dies of starvation from being trapped away from its feeding ground. Because that is what nature chose so don't dare alter it.

grubbster
12-07-2017, 11:49
pretzel logic at its best
Great album!

devoidapop
12-07-2017, 11:50

Acid loving plants? You mean like hallucinogenic mushrooms? ;)

I always pack out my used blotter paper.

D2maine
12-07-2017, 13:25
Not at all. Just that "leave it better than you found it" isn't the instructions you wish to convey. Because leaving something better than you found it means to better the thing: water plants, help trapped fish get back to the school, fertilize plants in need of nutrition, prune diseases limbs from trees that the trees may have a longer life, etc. Being good stewards.

You mean "leave no trace". No Trace means that whatever the state of the thing when you encountered it is the state it remains in. Trees die of disease. Plants die of malnutrition. Fish dies of starvation from being trapped away from its feeding ground. Because that is what nature chose so don't dare alter it.

none of that makes the natural environment better...

theinfamousj
12-07-2017, 14:09
none of that makes the natural environment better...That depends on how you define "better". You ought to note that avoidance of disease or death is an accepted definition, though. https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20171207/b9065ff3590ec4f14e43bb658dd2fb33.jpg

theinfamousj
12-07-2017, 14:25
Or put differently:

"Leave it better than you found it" is vague because it includes a subjective portion where each person is free to choose which definition of "better" they want, and even in the case of picking the definition which references superior quality, that too is subjective. So as an instruction it is vague and will likely result in the instruction giver being displeased with the result of someone who thinks they have followed the instruction.

"Leave it alone" is specific. "Do not touch" is also specific.

The problem I always see with LNT arguments is they by the very act of interacting with a thing, humans change the thing so it is impossible to leave *no* trace. Which is why there are LNT principles that get awfully specific such as describing how to poop or wash in the woods. Each of these does alter the environment, but in a way that is determined to be minor and acceptable. Yet there are some who confuse "minor and acceptable" with "no" and think the two are synonymous; they are not.

I really like the principles and wish to see more things spelled out in clear and instructive language rather than large vagueries such as "better" or impossibilities such as "no trace". I also appreciate regular review of the principles to adapt them as humanity better understands the interconnectedness of ecosystems as we are nowhere near omnipotence so are simply operating under the best information of this moment and the next moment may need a modification to behavior.

What I find important, however, is that we each not just knee jerk our outdoor interaction philosophies, but instead think all the way through what our words mean in practical terms before typing them, and also do understand that we are pretty much *all* coming from a point of wanting to conserve the environments we find so restorative and enjoyable rather than to be mad that someone is preserving forest differently than we would wish they would because, hey, they are preserving forest but maybe might not be aware of the latest peer reviewed scholarship on the subject. We are all on the same team and ought to be peer mentors, not dictators.

Sarcasm the elf
12-07-2017, 15:29
Or put another way, we all are probably in 98% agreement regarding backcountry stewardship practices and LNT. The amount of time people on this and other internet sites spend bickering over the other 2% of the minutiae is simply isn't productive and typically makes us look like fools.

SoaknWet
12-07-2017, 16:15
Unfortunately humans have a tendency to change anything they come in touch with! Example is how many times have human been on the Moon? Now many pounds of trash were left behind? The moment you use your cathole you and a thousand others have already changed the natural environment!

Hikes in Rain
12-07-2017, 19:31
<Pours a cup of *coffee* and sits back to watch the show>

Traffic Jam
12-07-2017, 21:21
Here's an idea. Apply LNT principles to the use of social media :-?. Reduce the social media "footprint" and there will be so few hikers, a few coffee grounds or catholes won't matter.

rocketsocks
12-07-2017, 21:43
I like brewing with orange peels in my grounds, gives it a real earthy taste.

Traffic Jam
12-07-2017, 22:00
I like brewing with orange peels in my grounds, gives it a real earthy taste.

Cool idea.

I drank some orange-flavored coffee once. It was odd and delicious.

blw2
12-07-2017, 22:28
"Because that is what nature chose so don't dare alter it. "

but wait.... aren't we human animals?
and isn't it a natural desire we have to go out and hike in these environments?
and in doing the things we do, isn't that natural? It is our natural instinct...a natural thing.
So really...how is us pooping in the woods, or scratching up the bark on a tree, any different than the dear or bears doing the same thing?

I was thinking about invasive species the other day. Battling torpedo grass in my yard. So man imported this stuff from China or someplace, and it was an experiment gone wrong. But really who's to say that it wasn't meant to be? A natural evolution of sorts?
Same for lion fish on the Florida reefs.
and same for lots of other things.

I don't know....just seems a bit presumptuous of us to think that somehow the things we do are on some higher plane and not "natural".

My thinking is that it might be somehow better to consider how to be a good steward in all that we do. To minimize or eliminate our impact, so that the next person, bear, or deer, to come along can enjoy the place just like we did....

jjozgrunt
12-07-2017, 23:54
Bloody poor yanks have a lot to blame on your ancestors. You realise that if they hadn't of dumped all that tea in Boston Harbour, you'd be a civilized tea drinker like the rest of the world that has an english colonial background. Even we convicts drink it.

Sarcasm the elf
12-08-2017, 00:03
Bloody poor yanks have a lot to blame on your ancestors. You realise that if they hadn't of dumped all that tea in Boston Harbour, you'd be a civilized tea drinker like the rest of the world that has an english colonial background. Even we convicts drink it.
Funny you should boast about that. According to BBC News y'all were dedicated coffee drinkers until the coffee rust blight was accidentally introduced into the colonial regions that produced coffee plants wiping out the crop almost entirely. The Empire's fondness for tea is in large part because that's what they had that was left to grow. :cool:

LDog
12-08-2017, 12:06
I LOVE COFFEE
Me too!

Are you backpacking to hike? Or to camp? If I backpack to camp, I bring one of those plastic drip cones and make pour over. If i'm backpacking to hike, I'm a gram weenie, and I'm not carrying anything extra. So I go instant. I like Starbuck Veranda in the via packets. Cafe Bustelo also does the via style packages, and I like their instant expresso a lot. I buy a small jar, and dump it into a freezer baggie. If I'm on a long-distant hike, I put a jar in my bounce box.

I usually mix up a water bottle's worth of Carnation Nido instant milk the night before. Some goes in my coffee, some goes in my oatmeal, granola, whatever, and the rest gets mixed with a packet of Carnation Essentials, with more instant coffee, to consume whilst hiking.

squeezebox
12-08-2017, 12:58
Is it okay to cat hole the spent grounds?

bikebum1975
12-08-2017, 15:08

This yank drinks both tea is preferred night drink for relaxing coffee is to keeo me going tea just doesn't have that same punch

rocketsocks
12-08-2017, 15:59
This yank drinks both tea is preferred night drink for relaxing coffee is to keeo me going tea just doesn't have that same punchthis ^^^^^^^^^^

blw2
12-08-2017, 20:29
apparently only if you eat them first.....

rocketsocks
12-08-2017, 22:14
apparently only if you eat them first.....now that’s! Funny

rocketsocks
12-08-2017, 22:17
Though how will one know the difference in a GI bleed?

Ethesis
12-08-2017, 23:02

better than drinking them.

TX Aggie
12-09-2017, 20:12
Some of you don’t seem to get it. It’s not about burying them so they aren’t seen. It’s about animals coming and digging the grounds near campsites. LNT isn’t just about not leaving litter, it’s also about reducing animal impact on campers, especially nuisance or possible dangerous ones like bears.

If you can’t be bothered to pack out your grounds in an effort to keep bears out of campsites, then maybe you should consider switching to instant.

colorado_rob
12-09-2017, 21:51
Some of you don’t seem to get it. It’s not about burying them so they aren’t seen. It’s about animals coming and digging the grounds near campsites. LNT isn’t just about not leaving litter, it’s also about reducing animal impact on campers, especially nuisance or possible dangerous ones like bears.

If you can’t be bothered to pack out your grounds in an effort to keep bears out of campsites, then maybe you should consider switching to instant.
Yeah, you're right. I've changed my mind on it being ok to burying grounds, but again, for the record, I've never done it as I am indeed an instant coffee drinker on the trail, especially since those micro ground coffees came out, like Charbucks, er, Starbucks via's.

JJ505
12-09-2017, 21:52
Is it okay to cat hole the spent grounds? Answer: only if you drink it first.

Reminded me immediately of something called cat poop coffee. It's actually a civet, not a cat. But it goes thru the civet first. Very pricey stuff.

nsherry61
12-09-2017, 22:42
. . . Reminded me immediately of something called cat poop coffee. . .
As you suggest. Detailed here. (http://www.most-expensive.coffee/)

rocketsocks
12-09-2017, 23:31

If you can’t be bothered to pack out your grounds in an effort to keep bears out of campsites, then maybe you should consider switching to instant.which is the reason for the old school technique of “dispersion through broadcasting”

LDog
12-10-2017, 00:02
which is the reason for the old school technique of “dispersion through broadcasting”

Or the even older school “Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints.”

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Sarcasm the elf
12-10-2017, 01:23
Or the even older school “Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints.”

I'm fairly certain the "older school" was "chop fresh pine boughs to use as a sleeping mat." and "Make sure to use your campfire burn out the food residue in your tin cans before you bury them at your campsite." :rolleyes:

LDog
12-10-2017, 01:26
I'm fairly certain the "older school" was "chop fresh pine boughs to use as a sleeping mat." and "Make sure to use your campfire burn out the food residue in your tin cans before you bury them at your campsite." :rolleyes:

I’ll have to take yer word for it. I’m only 62 ....

Sarcasm the elf
12-10-2017, 01:37
I’ll have to take yer word for it. I’m only 62 ....

No need to take my word for it, I have the source material handy :D

The Golden Book of Camping and Camp Crafts. Copyright 1959. One of my favorite childhood possessions

LDog
12-10-2017, 01:56

The Golden Book of Camping and Camp Crafts. Copyright 1959. One of my favorite childhood possessions

Very cool. We were way more evolved in '67 ...

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20171210/66b3000d8a09f7a811936ed84f15da1e.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20171210/9e80ca12a31efb3f13851365a80af24b.jpg

L Dog

SoaknWet
12-10-2017, 07:02
Sir, I take my hat off to you! If for no other reason than just bringing some super good memories to life! I remember that book and still believe the old ways were better.

rocketsocks
12-10-2017, 10:08
I could count on one hand the fires i’ve built in the woods, but I don’t have enough appendages to tally my coffees.

rocketsocks
12-10-2017, 10:29
Tried many methods, Tasters Choice packets, cowboy coffee, Melita cone with filter, french press. Have, for the past several years, settled on Nescafe Classico instant. The reasons:

Tasters Choice Packets assume a particular cup size, usually came out too weak or too strong.

Cowboy coffee - never could perfect getting the grounds to sink, always ended up chewing the last few swigs.

Melita Cone - GREAT coffee, but had to pack out the used filters and clean the cone.

French Press - Great coffee, but messy clean-up.

Classico - decent coffee, zero mess, infinitely adjustable for cup size and strength desired, compact to carry.

No right or wrong, just better/worse characteristics - you get to choose which is most important to you.
This^^^^^^^^

for those wishing to pursue further endeavors.

https://www.coffeechemistry.com/certification

MtDoraDave
12-10-2017, 10:39
Clearly, most of us have a slightly different view on LNT.

I see small things more clearly when I imagine them to the extreme.

The way I try to prcactice LNT - "try" being the key (honest) word - is to imagine every one of the thousands of hikers doing a thing... like, for example, chucking their coffee grounds out across the ground when they are done with their cowboy coffee. If every hiker did that, it would leave a significant "trace" and would alter the ecosystem of the area in an unnatural and likely harmful (if not unattractive or unappealing) way.

This is the main reason I experimented with several different instant coffees until I found one that was acceptable. Yes, I too love a good cup of fresh ground french pressed coffee here at home. I also enjoy a hot shower at least once a day and a comfortable bed inside an air conditioned or heated house. When I'm hiking I sacrifice most of the comforts and luxuries of home.

Nescafe Tasters Choice French Roast, in the individual size packets, along with a packet of hot chocolate. Mocha latte. That's my coffee on the trail lately. I pack out my trash to be disposed of in whatever way the civilization at the disposal point has adopted.

JJ505
12-10-2017, 12:44
My hat is off to you for keeping all this cool vintage stuff. Though I don't think I ever had all that cool vintage stuff.

blw2
12-10-2017, 18:06
.....[/QUOTE]
I've had a tendency of thinking in that way too.
but there are factors that make this a bit more complicated... time and acreage both come to mind as key.

so you have a place where 1,000 campers are coming through site in a given time...say 1 year
now lets say that those 1,000 hikers each dumped a tablespoon or two of coffee grounds around that small clump of bushes over there on the East side of the site. And let's say that it all happens at the same time, today, right now. Tomorrow I come through. Yeah... I would find a bit of a mess for sure, if I looked for it.

now, consider those small doses more evenly spread through the year. One today, three tomorrow, none for the following week. Rainstorms are mixed in between.... And consider that they were more properly broadcast in various random areas away from the campsite....as it "should" be done....
...not such a big mess really.

just sayin' that imagining the worst case sorta falls apart, and it's really hard to imagine the reality of a "worst case"

Greenlight
12-10-2017, 19:36
Snark alert.

When I was in the Army, we'd joke about hard core "Ranger Coffee" consisting of a handful of roasted coffee beans. Chew until well ground, then down a canteen of water. Whenever you want some coffee, just burp. I suppose you could do the same thing with ground coffee.

I LOVE COFFEE.

Happy New Year,
FFN

Traffic Jam
12-10-2017, 21:34
Equally as important as coffee is the cream. I love liquid, coffee cream and have yet to find a good substitute while hiking. It's not ideal, but my usual is sugar-free, French vanilla powder stored in a nuun container with 1/4 to 1/3 package hot chocolate. I once carried a pint of fresh, coffee milk made by a local dairy, Cruze Farms. It got shaken from walking and turned into cheese. It was still delicious.

Any other suggestions? I can't drink Nido.

Sarcasm the elf
12-10-2017, 21:49
Equally as important as coffee is the cream. I love liquid, coffee cream and have yet to find a good substitute while hiking. It's not ideal, but my usual is sugar-free, French vanilla powder stored in a nuun container with 1/4 to 1/3 package hot chocolate. I once carried a pint of fresh, coffee milk made by a local dairy, Cruze Farms. It got shaken from walking and turned into cheese. It was still delicious.

Any other suggestions? I can't drink Nido.
Bailey's. It's shelf stable and in small quantities is basically
just flavored half and half.