PDA

View Full Version : Used Marmot Precip Question

Googan
01-02-2016, 20:44
I just bought a used Marmot Precip jacket. On the inside there is a white layer that is beginning to come off of it. I am hoping to used it for a thru attempt. Should I be worried or is it purely cosmetic and not functional?

Driftwood-1
01-02-2016, 22:03
Not really sure, but would like to hear what that is about. Mine is more than a year old and is not doing that.

4eyedbuzzard
01-02-2016, 22:30
I have one that is about 5 years old with moderate use that shows no sign of that. It's at my other home. I can't look at it to see exactly what you're talking about until Tuesday. But I believe the white lining is the breathable membrane in the so called waterproof breathable fabric layering "assembly". I say so called W/B because it isn't the most waterproof nor breathable jacket. It will wet out from the outside after a while, and even with the pit zips open you tend to get wet from sweat in it. Its a decent all purpose shell given its light weight in that it is windproof and will repel some rain.

There are some reports on the web of Precips fabric delaminating. Marmot has replaced some under warranty apparently, but not all. Their warranty doesn't cover wear and tear or loss of water resistance of DWR fabrics.

http://marmot.com/content/customer-service/warranty

Deadeye
01-02-2016, 23:46
Don't worry, the Marmot Precip isn't functional when brand new, IMHO.

SWODaddy
01-03-2016, 00:14
I think the Precip is a "2.5" layer fabric, with the coating on the inside being the "half" layer on the back of the membrane. The purpose is usually to help wick moisture (and make it feel like you're not wearing a garbage bag). I'd guess it will still work as designed, but it may not vent depending on how much has peeled off.

SWODaddy
01-03-2016, 00:17
That should read "...vent *as well* depending..."

Sure wish this site had an edit feature.

Okie Dokie
01-03-2016, 00:38
Anything "peeling" is not a good...Anything....

It means the manufacturer's original interior "coating" is loosening...meaning that it won't function as designed any more....

I own a Marmot Precip jacket...looks to be brand new, inside and out, no peeling...after a couple of bad experiences I use it only in an urban setting--running around town from truck to store for groceries, etc...it leaks whenever I use it in rain that lasts for more than about 10 minutes, around the neck and shoulders...looks perfect inside, the shell beads water...a nice crisp jacket....go figure...thought about seam sealing the interior or exterior threads at the seams, then thought, why bother...it's a light duty jacket...it looks nicer than a rubber raincoat, but won't keep me as dry...think Marmot got in a hurry on the design for this jacket, or mine has some manufacturer's defect...

I've heard that most de-laminations in 'rain-wear" occur because of:
--Inappropriate care--washing or drying incorrectly, especially drying on very high heat...
--Body oils--breaking down the lamination, especially around the neck, then "bleeding" down into the shoulders...

Ercoupe
01-03-2016, 07:25
Your could try nikiwax coating, if it does leak. Try it in the shower.

eblanche
01-03-2016, 09:18
Once that coating starts to delaminate, the next step is the Wp/B being ruined by the same body oils and dirt that caused the delamination in the first place. You say you bought it used, I would chalk it up to a learning experience and search for a better alternative.

It might be worth inquiring about warranty replacement anyways though.

egilbe
01-03-2016, 10:13
Anything "peeling" is not a good...Anything....

It means the manufacturer's original interior "coating" is loosening...meaning that it won't function as designed any more....

I own a Marmot Precip jacket...looks to be brand new, inside and out, no peeling...after a couple of bad experiences I use it only in an urban setting--running around town from truck to store for groceries, etc...it leaks whenever I use it in rain that lasts for more than about 10 minutes, around the neck and shoulders...looks perfect inside, the shell beads water...a nice crisp jacket....go figure...thought about seam sealing the interior or exterior threads at the seams, then thought, why bother...it's a light duty jacket...it looks nicer than a rubber raincoat, but won't keep me as dry...think Marmot got in a hurry on the design for this jacket, or mine has some manufacturer's defect...

I've heard that most de-laminations in 'rain-wear" occur because of:
--Inappropriate care--washing or drying incorrectly, especially drying on very high heat...
--Body oils--breaking down the lamination, especially around the neck, then "bleeding" down into the shoulders...

Sounds more like you are sweating and wetting it out. I haven't seen any rain jacket that I could stay dry in.

Googan
01-03-2016, 12:42
Is there any other rain jacket you'd recommend. I didn't really like the OR Helium II, and I'm concerned about the Marmot.

egilbe
01-03-2016, 13:21
Three layer raingear is usually a better bet, but they are heavier. Something made with goretex or neoshell works pretty good, but the problem is not that they wet through, normally, its that they don't vent enough so moisture builds up on the inside. A poncho works better when you need ventilation, but it you are in a damp fog, you are still going to feel damp when you stop moving. Rain gear is better if you think its supposed to keep you warm, not dry.

Okie Dokie
01-03-2016, 14:51
Sounds more like you are sweating and wetting it out. I haven't seen any rain jacket that I could stay dry in.

In both of the bad experiences I referred to sweating wasn't an issue....one was watching a football game from the stands in a light drizzle...about 40 degree weather...the other was on a fishing trip....blustery 50 degree weather sitting in a boat..."tight-lining" rather than casting continuously...

I'm well aware that "breathable" rain-wear can wet you from within when its raining...sweating wasn't a factor in either case...

rocketsocks
01-03-2016, 15:26
Buy a new raincoat and turn that thing into some rain mitts or gaiters, prettyeasy firsttimesewingproject...or, buy some rain mitts and gaiters and seam seal the bad parts inside the coat and a couple of shots of some silicon sealant on the effected outside area...raincoats don't breath all that well anyway, so don't sweat it (no pun), but use the silicon spray sparingly so's not to completely turn the thing into a walking sauna suit.

The Cleaner
01-03-2016, 17:23
Staying "dry" while hiking up a steep mountain during rain is just not going to happen,even with very expensive rain jackets.A successful thru hike comes to those who can stand being wet,cold and hungry for extended periods.

ocourse
01-03-2016, 18:01
Marmot Precip is great at the price point. But when the white inside starts to deteriorate, you'll get wet. You can coat the outside with most anything - silicone spray, etc. - to extend the life of the garment. Works fine for a very long time. I had my raincoat for years, and the 1st time I washed it I had problems.

Googan
01-03-2016, 20:17
I think I'm just going to use the jacket as is. If I'm on the trail and need something else I will deal with it at that point.

jigsaw
01-03-2016, 20:34
contact marmot. they had problems with the precip delaminating.
sent mine back and they sent me a brand new one

Googan
01-03-2016, 21:36
contact marmot. they had problems with the precip delaminating.
sent mine back and they sent me a brand new one
I bought it used so I don't want to send in an item that I bought used for an issue since I'm not the original owner

dervari
01-03-2016, 22:34
I bought it used so I don't want to send in an item that I bought used for an issue since I'm not the original owner
They don't know that. Regardless, it shouldn't be delaminating.

Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk

Googan
01-03-2016, 23:59
They don't know that. Regardless, it shouldn't be delaminating.

Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk

come on man, its not right

4eyedbuzzard
01-06-2016, 10:45
come on man, its not rightActually, they (Marmot) use the word purchaser in their warranty.http://marmot.com/content/customer-service/warranty#1 They don't specify "original purchaser". They do specify normal wear and tear however, stating:

"What is considered normal wear and tear?
We know you love your Marmot apparel and equipment, but regardless of how carefully you use and care for your gear it may eventually begin to experience natural break down of materials and show wear. Fabric wearing thin, showing abrasions, stains, discoloration, rips or tears, loss of DWR (Durable Water Resistance) and laminates losing their ability to keep out moisture can be considered wear and tear."

eblanche
01-06-2016, 23:09
and laminates losing their ability to keep out moisture can be considered wear and tear."
I think this assumes the laminate is still there and in tact. Delamination assumes the laminate is no longer there/on the way out.

However, I think secondhand gives up the opportunity for warranty in my book. :-?

mtntopper
01-06-2016, 23:27
How old is the jacket?

TNhiker
01-06-2016, 23:31
Actually, they (Marmot) use the word purchaser in their warranty.http://marmot.com/content/customer-service/warranty#1 They don't specify "original purchaser". They do specify normal wear and tear however, stating:

"What is considered normal wear and tear?
We know you love your Marmot apparel and equipment, but regardless of how carefully you use and care for your gear it may eventually begin to experience natural break down of materials and show wear. Fabric wearing thin, showing abrasions, stains, discoloration, rips or tears, loss of DWR (Durable Water Resistance) and laminates losing their ability to keep out moisture can be considered wear and tear."

and regardless of if one is the original purchaser or not-----a company should stand by their product...

especially if they want you to be a repeat customer............or tell your hiking buddies what a wonderful product it is and they become customers....