PDA

View Full Version : Why do you hike? What draws you in?

FooFooCuddlyPoops
01-03-2016, 04:10
I found myself questioning my intentions to hike a large section of the trail today. Mostly because I had just spent a small car on new gear, and when my manager asked me, why are you hiking?, I couldn't exactly answer his question with anything more than "I want a trail name."

This isn't my first rodeo. I have done a handful of over night hikes, one four day canoe camping on island trip, car camping, daily hiking trips, etc. I don't know what keeps me going out there.

As I was laying in bed trying to will myself to sleep, it hit me. I was looking too broad. I was looking for that big moment of awe at the top of some mountain. What really drives me to hike are the small things in life; smelling pine trees in a foggy morning, the smell so thick it reminds you of those little car freshners. The adrenaline of seeing the clearing of a open view that you had been working hard to reach. I love the sound of crickets at night, or in the morning. The fresh air. The no alarm clock wake up. I love rock scrambles, log climbs, and general obsticle courses. Freedom to think without electronics at my fingertips. When my dog was younger, I loved morning walks to fetch water with him at tow behind me. He would hike forever if he could. Another aspect I loved is the aftermath. I love knowing I did something other people thinks is exotic. Kind of bragging rights.

Souns horrible, I know, but it isn't something that I will bring to light in a negative way. I jusr want the recognition that I am not just some small town girl. I go zip lining, horse back riding, live part of my life in nyc, etc.

I want to do this section hike (600 mile) because I want to push myself, rewind time, and take time to figure out the issues in my life. I will be spending my summer doing something that all together makes me happy, what's so wrong with that?

It's hard for me to rationalize spending a great deal of money, which is why I am probably thinking too much today.

What at drawls you in for a hike?

Leo L.
01-03-2016, 06:37
For me, the inner purpose of hiking is mostly abot breaking worn in habits that town life inevitately bring.
This makes me open for new experiences and encounters of many kinds, like seeing life from different perspectives, meeting people in different (and more open) ways, and maybe ask some of the big questions in life.

All the small details you mentioned loving around hiking helps a lot to feel great doing it, it might be the lure to actually do it, but not the main reason for hiking for me.

rocketsocks
01-03-2016, 06:45
I just like walkin' in the woods.

Traveler
01-03-2016, 07:03
"Because I like it"

dink
01-03-2016, 08:38
To get away from "man-made" so I can use all my senses unencumbered. I need nature to really feel alive, to live not just exist!!

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

Weather-man
01-03-2016, 08:48
Hiking in the woods is the natural state of the bieng. In today's world of self induced pressures and stress a good walk in the woods goes a long way towards peeling through some of that and remembering what's important in life. Seeing greens and browns also helps.

fiddlehead
01-03-2016, 08:49
I like to walk.
And used to think it was a great pace to see the world.
But, now, I'm thinking bicycle might be better as sometimes walking is too slow.
But,, the woods is a good place to be.

Malto
01-03-2016, 09:22
I hike because I love to walk, it is more relaxing than any other activity. I also enjoy being out in nature without a hundred competing "noises", basically I like to quiet my mind. Finally, I love intense physical activity which is why I hike the style I do. Where this often comes together in a somewhat zen moment is toward the end of a long day, hiking into the sunset surrounded by the quiet forest. I have had some impactful moments, I remember one vividly where I just thought "I'm the luckiest man on earth."

MuddyWaters
01-03-2016, 10:25
Its a good way to get close to how we were meant to live.

If you put a tiger in a cage, its no longer a tiger. It looks like a tiger, but it doesnt live like one. Its a poor representation of what a tiger really is.

People are no different. Cities are our cage.

daveiniowa
01-03-2016, 10:45
There is a feeling I get just before I start a long hike. That is awesome! But what really gets me is when I finish a long hike, being out in the mountains for a week, and getting back to civilization, I feel like I am invincible. Especially when I have conquered a good steep rocky hike that most people could never do or encountered some real life danger and it was "sketchy" for a bit. I look back on those moments and think "I just did stuff that most people only talk about". This feeling lasts for about a week or so after my hike and then slowly fades away. When I am in the mountains, I feel like I am in my sanctuary, like I belong to something bigger. Or maybe I am just trying to re live my child hood since I grew up in North Georgia...

greensleep
01-03-2016, 10:49
To break sedentary habits, to regain the enthusiasm for the wild that I had as a youth, to pursue a long held dream, to reestablish an appreciation for what I have and what I don't need, to find out what I'm made of, to simplify my life and thought processes, or, at least, to redirect them in a more life-supportive direction, to occasionally interact with likeminded people, to re-experience the solitude I've experienced in my past without technological interference, one last adventure, and challenge. Too many reasons to do it, not enough to not do it. I'd like to get my thru hike in before the path becomes a mobile city of people from one end to the other. All selfish, but why else do we do things?

juma
01-03-2016, 10:53
exercise, fitness and weight control. otherwise, its kind of boring. reminds me of last summer I'd been hiking without seeing anyone for a day and half and ran into someone named "walkieTalkie." I sat right down as did he and we chatted for an hour, both pretty bored:)

jefals
01-03-2016, 10:56
Well, it's great exercise, for one thing. A heart surgeon once told me that climbing was the best thing for your heart.
I like the fact that I've mastered all these little skills - like being in a tent in a howling wind, knowing I've set it up correctly and it's not going to blow away.
I love that first feeling of warmth when the sun finally makes it over that mountain after a long, cold, night.

shelb
01-03-2016, 11:01
I hike because I like the simplicity of it. Life is made much more simpler when all I have to do is put one foot ahead of the other. It gives me a lot of thinking time...

Moosling
01-03-2016, 15:50
It clears my head I'm away from this ridiculous world around me, hiking feels stress free.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lone Wolf
01-03-2016, 16:19
anticipation of a buffet and beer in town after eatin' ramens for 5 days

rocketsocks
01-03-2016, 16:21
Its a good way to get close to how we were meant to live.

If you put a tiger in a cage, its no longer a tiger. It looks like a tiger, but it doesnt live like one. Its a poor representation of what a tiger really is.

People are no different. Cities are our cage.what an intuitive analogy...right on!

rocketsocks
01-03-2016, 16:25
anticipation of a buffet and beer in town after eatin' ramens for 5 days
...and sittin' in porcelain bowl beats squatin'

George
01-03-2016, 16:32
the need to wallow in discomfort

as side benefit, it is - to me - the least objectionable tool for weight control

TexasBob
01-03-2016, 16:32
I hike because I like the simplicity of it. Life is made much more simpler when all I have to do is put one foot ahead of the other. It gives me a lot of thinking time...

Same here along with a tremendous feeling of freedom and only being responsible for myself .

Slo-go'en
01-03-2016, 17:05
Because it feels good when I stop.

RockDoc
01-03-2016, 18:07
It's Primal.

We were made to do it. The body resonates with it.

See marksdailyapple.com for more info about being Primal.

Kaptainkriz
01-03-2016, 20:58
I don't know why, but I must...
http://payload193.cargocollective.com/1/0/23687/6167282/CEOTTK-stills_905.jpg

egilbe
01-03-2016, 21:33
i hike for all the sex I get. :sun

xMagnolia
01-03-2016, 23:30
I love the outside. There is so much to see- little tiny things, great big things, bugs, water, rocks, plants, people, weather.

Turk6177
01-03-2016, 23:57
I love looking at the trail as it weaves out of sight through the woods or across a field, just going on and on. I love the idea of walking on it from point to point knowing I will not be turning around having to walk back to where I started. It just gives me a sense of adventure. In a word, I backpack because I have wander lust.

Turk6177
01-03-2016, 23:59
I forgot to mention, the most beautiful places can not be accessed by a car. Hiking is the only way to get there.

Odd Man Out
01-04-2016, 00:13

Life simplification was to be my answer too. The primary source of unhappiness is when you don't have what you want. Thus the best way to be happy is to not want something you don't have or can't have. When backpacking, what you have and what you can have is very clear. You can't always get what you want. But if try sometimes, you might find you get what you need.

RangerZ
01-04-2016, 07:14

What trails are you on?

Wilbo
01-04-2016, 10:06
I like to see how far I can walk in a day. The weight loss side effect is also a plus.

egilbe
01-04-2016, 10:39
double post

egilbe
01-04-2016, 10:40
What trails are you on?

Im not telling ;-)

(it was mostly in response to someone else asking, in another thread, what his or her chances were to getting lucky)

LittleRock
01-04-2016, 12:22

C'mon man! Leave those poor animals alone!

adamfbomb
01-04-2016, 12:29
Hiking is my meditation. I feel connected with the world and admire it's beauty. Mostly it's just a chance to get away from the hustle and bustle and think about all my thoughts without tv or phones to ruin it. And then I check my facebook ;)

kickatree
01-04-2016, 15:48
Because most of civilization is afraid to follow me there...

Sent from my LGL41C using Tapatalk

Grandscale
01-04-2016, 18:59
Stress relief. If you hike far enough you can come up with a solution to most problems. The main reason that I hike is for a sense of accomplishment. I love looking back at my maps, pics, miles travelled, and elevations and feeling good about what I've achieved.

damskipi
01-04-2016, 19:06
A lot of it is for the fitness aspect. I have to stay in shape for my job and I hate traditional workouts but I love walking. I also love beautiful scenery, though I hate bugs and being dirty and being cold. But as previously mentioned, I can't get to many of the places with the beautiful scenery without getting a little dirty so if hiking is the way to get there, then hiking is what I will do. Also, and this is a biggie for an introvert, most trails only allow 1-2 abreast so even if you go with a group you still get some space and quiet. That's nice.