PDA

View Full Version : The Lake Fire Closure

razorshot
01-03-2016, 14:50
Does anyone have a way that doesn't involve yellow blazing to get around this closure. The ptca says there are no alternative routes right now. http://www.pcta.org/discover-the-trail/trail-condition/lake-fire-closure/

adamfbomb
01-04-2016, 12:08
Judging by how recently this happened, I don't think any routes have been designated as an alternative. I'm sure if you pulled out some maps you would be able to piece a trail together, but who knows what the condition of those trails will be, and how much further you might have to go. In my opinion this section was not so spectacular that I would urge people to do it. If you're worried about the accomplishment of doing all the miles, don't worry about that. There are other sections that are closed as well that you will need to road walk or hitch to get past.

burger
01-04-2016, 12:18
I know that a lot of PCT hikers are set on doing a continuous hike from border to border. Consider this: as far as your thru-hike goes, sections of trail that are closed do not exist. If you do all of the open sections in 2016, you are a thru-hiker. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise, and don't get caught up in trying to find a road walk around the closed parts. Road walking sucks in every respect--isn't getting off the road the reason we do long-distance hikes to start with? Also, road walking is potentially dangerous. Two hikers were killed on a roadwalk around a fire closure several years ago on the PCT.

Just hitch around the closures. Then, if you really want, come back in a year or two and hike the closed parts.

burger
01-04-2016, 12:19
...when they're re-opened again, that is.

razorshot
01-04-2016, 22:32
I have no problem with what other people think of me as I do follow the HYOH principle. Personally though I would like to hike one continuous path even if that means some road walking.

Malto
01-04-2016, 22:36
I have no problem with what other people think of me as I do follow the HYOH principle. Personally though I would like to hike one continuous path even if that means some road walking.

i would do the same. I suspect the PCTA will have a reroute by the start of the hiking season. If not, there will be some creative options developed by others. There were for the fire near San Jacinto. I don't know if you have checked out Postholers site. he has a Google Map link that shows the trail on a Topo. You could certainly try your hand at a route, great thing to do on a cold night (at least here in PA)

Coffee
01-04-2016, 23:13
There are a number of discussions on the Facebook PCT Class of 2016 group related to this topic.

adamfbomb
01-05-2016, 01:12

Wait until you see the 20-some-mile roadwalk after casa de luna that is completely exposed to the sun with no shoulder to walk on. You might change your mind :)

Coffee
01-05-2016, 07:01
Wait until you see the 20-some-mile roadwalk after casa de luna that is completely exposed to the sun with no shoulder to walk on. You might change your mind :)
While many people road walk all the way to Hikertown, the PCT is open and can be accessed from the lower and upper shake campgrounds on the road shortly after the Rock Inn. This cuts the road walk substantially. I did not find the road walk to Rock Inn all that bad and the PCT section from lower shake to Hikertown is nice and uncrowded.

juma
01-05-2016, 19:52
While many people road walk all the way to Hikertown, the PCT is open and can be accessed from the lower and upper shake campgrounds on the road shortly after the Rock Inn. This cuts the road walk substantially. I did not find the road walk to Rock Inn all that bad and the PCT section from lower shake to Hikertown is nice and uncrowded.

yep, can be done. that's where I found the lionking pretending to be a speed bump. any roadwalksux.

KathyD
02-15-2016, 11:04
I still haven't seen an official or unofficial alternate proposed for the Lake Fire closure. I'm tentatively planning to take a bus from Cabazon to Big Bear City. What are other NOBOers planning to do this spring?

frisbeefreek
02-20-2016, 22:48
HYOH and all that, but the way I see it, 20 miles is roughly 7 hours on the road. Start at 6am, finish at 1pm. Not saying I like it (I had to road walk around the army helicopter crash in 2009) and had to hike into Sisters from the Observatory (road was closed for construction and a hitch wasn't possible). When you're doing 2700 miles, 20 miles ain't a thang...

betsi
02-21-2016, 16:57

The section from Lower Shake to Hikertown was wonderful! Lots of big oaks and shade - enjoy that section before you hit the aquaduct (which has its own set of, ahem, charms).

betsi
02-21-2016, 17:42
I hiked the PCT NOBO last year and we vaguely heard about the fires down south, but we were preoccupied with the fires up north. Taking a closer look at this Lake Fire closure, I'll say that's a bummer. The 8-mile section between Ziggy/Bear (just north of I-10 at 211) and Mission Creek was one of my favorites - the San Gorgonio Wilderness and Whitewater Preserve are breathtaking. If you can arrange transportation out of Whitewater Preserve, I suggest hiking all the way to 219.

I also suggest not skipping section between Onyx Summit (252) and Big Bear (266). It's a nice (mostly) downhill and flat cruise toward town, and the trail is only ~400' east of CA 38 at Onyx Summit. Unless CA 38 is also closed, you can drive almost right to the trail (look for the intersection of CA 38 and Pipes Road).

IMHO, the PCT is extremely hard to hike with "continuous footsteps" or as a "continuous path." Old fire detours, new fire closures, endangered species detours, and other choose-your-own adventure type scenarios are much more common. I'm not saying it's impossible, but there are trade-offs and each hiker has to figure out for themselves how to handle each situation. As someone mentioned in the "purist" thread, hikers tend to be less pure the farther along the trail you get. When faced with a 100-mile detour around the Mt. Adams fire last year, we were absolutely going to hitch (and postpone that section for some post-Canada fun). It just seemed ridiculous to walk 100 miles on the road (luckily, the trail re-opened literally the same hour we arrived at the closure and off we went). When the PCT was closed through Crater Lake NP last year, I heard a story about a hiker calling the PCTA to ask what the "purest" route around the closure was. Reportedly, the PCTA said to get in a car and drive around (this was before they posted a detour route). Again IMHO, if the PCTA is advising that the best way around a closure is with wheels (as they did last year with several fires in OR/WA), then go with that. When you're out there you've got enough to focus on, and sometimes it's best/easiest/prudent to go with the solution that's handed to you.

Sasquatch!
02-22-2016, 23:14
There isnt any alternative to hike around this fire closure. I suggest hiking in to the closure point, and then hiking back out.

That is if the trail isnt open by the time you arrive.

sbhikes
02-23-2016, 14:17
Oh man, I sure hope they can get this open. I was planning to hike to Big Bear and go home from there. This will take too much off my vacation and make me have to go back to work that much sooner. I guess I can there-and-back that final bit if I have time, but I've there-and-backed it already once before.

Sasquatch!
02-25-2016, 00:38
Oh man, I sure hope they can get this open. I was planning to hike to Big Bear and go home from there. This will take too much off my vacation and make me have to go back to work that much sooner. I guess I can there-and-back that final bit if I have time, but I've there-and-backed it already once before.

To hike in from I-10 and then back is about the same distance as hiking all the way to big bear. Or, you could skip this part entirely and go hike in Joshua Tree. There are a bunch of options near San Jacinto.