PDA

View Full Version : Drones on the trail?

jdavis7590
01-03-2016, 14:59
I know that Drone usage in National Parks is now illegal but has anyone seen anyone using drones or micro drones on sections of the trail that do not reside withing National Park boarders possibly to capture aerial pics and videos? I have a micro drone about 3.5 inches square with a 3.0mp camera on it and wanted to bring it in order to obtain some shots in the areas where its legal to use one. Just not really sure if anyone else is and what percentage of the trail is not on National P:ark land... if any at all.

squeezebox
01-03-2016, 18:21
Drones are the only reason for hikers to carry handguns.

colorado_rob
01-03-2016, 18:44
this thread should be quite amusing....

MuddyWaters
01-03-2016, 19:11
I know that Drone usage in National Parks is now illegal but has anyone seen anyone using drones or micro drones on sections of the trail that do not reside withing National Park boarders possibly to capture aerial pics and videos? I have a micro drone about 3.5 inches square with a 3.0mp camera on it and wanted to bring it in order to obtain some shots in the areas where its legal to use one. Just not really sure if anyone else is and what percentage of the trail is not on National P:ark land... if any at all.

Umm...The AT IS a national park. Administered by NPS, covered by 36CFR. Yet still, they had to come out and explicitly declare that drones were prohibitied, because the world is awash with idiots.

Herein lies the root of many issues. With limited ground level oversight and enforcement, many assume there are no rules and they can do whatever they want.

If you google, you will see that drones and such are explicitly prohibited.

Lone Wolf
01-03-2016, 19:21
mcafee knob was filmed by drones for a walk in the woods movie

jdavis7590
01-03-2016, 19:42
Umm...The AT IS a national park. Administered by NPS, covered by 36CFR. Yet still, they had to come out and explicitly declare that drones were prohibitied, because the world is awash with idiots.

Herein lies the root of many issues. With limited ground level oversight and enforcement, many assume there are no rules and they can do whatever they want.

If you google, you will see that drones and such are explicitly prohibited.

Well if I didn't know any better Mud, I'd say you were calling me an idiot for simply asking a question.

MuddyWaters
01-03-2016, 19:52
Well if I didn't know any better Mud, I'd say you were calling me an idiot for simply asking a question.

At least you asked. The idiots dont. Many dont care, only concerned about playing with their toys.

While I think the fines are mostly modest, in other national parks people with defiant attitudes or that cause damage or leave a device crashed that cannot be retrieved, have been fined several thousand dollars.

In spite of publicizing this, the # of incidents is still increasing. Apparent;y the fines are high enough yet.

mtntopper
01-03-2016, 20:55
mcafee knob was filmed by drones for a walk in the woods movie

They had a permit to film. I know because I was there.

gpburdelljr
01-03-2016, 21:14
The Appalachian Trail is a National Scenic Trail, not a National Park. Nonetheless, drone use is prohibited just as it is in National Parks.

MuddyWaters
01-03-2016, 21:31
The Appalachian Trail is a National Scenic Trail, not a National Park. Nonetheless, drone use is prohibited just as it is in National Parks.

Things under the control and administered by the National Park Service include about 402 areas currently including:

National Parks
National scenic trails
National recreation areas
National recreation trails
National cemeterys
National heritage areas
National historic trails
National historic areas
National Rivers
National Seashores
National memorials
National Battlefields
National military parks
National Historic sites
National Preserves
National Monuments
National Parkways

You will find that for the most part, the same rules apply to all under 36 CFR. Individual special rules are in the compendium for each . These are all "parks", in that they are areas set aside for particular purposes, for the enjoyment of all. And BTW, drones are prohibited in all. The AT is not any special case.

78owl
01-03-2016, 21:41
My thoughts, If you have to bring your toys along, don't come! Play and stay at home.

Lone Wolf
01-03-2016, 21:42
My thoughts, If you have to bring your toys along, don't come! Play and stay at home.

99 out of 100 hikers bring their stupind electronic toys on the trail

78owl
01-03-2016, 22:05
The real question is, Why do they want to bring them?? Is it like a security blanket?

Tuckahoe
01-03-2016, 22:05

Who are you to tell anyone what they should leave home?

Wise Old Owl
01-03-2016, 22:22
non sequitur

Slo-go'en
01-03-2016, 22:24
On the practical side, the tree canopy which covers 99.9% of the trail would limit its use to the few open spots, typically scenic vistas. A small micro drone would have to be kept close as to not loose sight of it. In an open area like a cliff vista a sudden gust of wind could crash your drone into the trees where there is no way you could get to it. The lithium battery used to power these things is a fire hazard in a crashed drone.

While it would be a neat toy, the practical aspects alone make it not worth it. In the end, it adds weight and take up space better used for food.

78owl
01-03-2016, 22:26
So what are your thoughts "Tuckahoe"??

Who are you to tell anyone what they should leave home?

George
01-03-2016, 22:33
another thing to ship home

mudsocks
01-03-2016, 23:26
It's a fair question. A better is "How would ________ affect others around me?" The trail is a shared space with where most people go to escape civilization and connect with the outdoors. A drone buzzing overhead is not likely to be well received. Leave it at home.

4eyedbuzzard
01-03-2016, 23:38
So, I'm guessing that flying my drone to take pictures of me and my dog drinking champagne on the summit of Katahdin is probably not going to fly. Who thinks up all these stupid rules anyway? Killjoys. :rolleyes:

Lachlan
01-03-2016, 23:54
Lol this was a fun and heated thread. Hikers and handguns, absolutely! who wouldn't love the opportunity to shoot down a drone… Still lets be practical, if people want to bring toys only to send them home later then let them. Who cares if they a prohibited or not, federal and state land is our land, like we are all law abiding citizens….lol. Hike your own hike, bring drones if you want to, and during your hike if your lucky enough to shoot a flying robot out of the sky then your awesome. There is still no reason to be mean about it.

mudsocks
01-04-2016, 00:21
Lol this was a fun and heated thread. Hikers and handguns, absolutely! who wouldn't love the opportunity to shoot down a drone… Still lets be practical, if people want to bring toys only to send them home later then let them. Who cares if they a prohibited or not, federal and state land is our land, like we are all law abiding citizens….lol. Hike your own hike, bring drones if you want to, and during your hike if your lucky enough to shoot a flying robot out of the sky then your awesome. There is still no reason to be mean about it.

I really cannot tell if you are trolling or serious.

Lachlan
01-04-2016, 00:26
Probably a little of both

Tuckahoe
01-04-2016, 06:46

The real question is, Why do they want to bring them?? Is it like a security blanket?

So what are your thoughts "Tuckahoe"??

Pretty simple really, as long as you stay out of my wallet, dont break my bones and you carry it, bring whatever you want that will allow you to enjoy your hike. I find it arrogant to project one's own reason for hiking onto another and demand that someone else hikes your own hike.

adamfbomb
01-04-2016, 12:32
I'm sorry, but if you use a drone out in nature, you're a jerk. The reason we go out is to escape all the noise and BS of the city. If you're flying around making noise and possibly video taping, then you're horribly inconsiderate to everyone else. Leave it in the city!!

jdavis7590
01-04-2016, 18:27
Well everyone has had some good points to make. I know in 2014 they banned them temporarily in order to review the pros and cons for the trail. The NPS had stated that it might take up to 18 months to do a thorough review. I'm guessing they still haven't made a permanent decision or may never. After Mud pointed out that they are banned on all parts of the trail I won't bring mine. However understand that its due to it being illegal. Not because some of you are haters. Total flight time cumulatively for me on the trail might have been around 30 minutes total over 1000 miles. There are just a few spots along the trail I wanted to use it and I can control it from my smart phone so now extra controller needed. Total drone weight is a little over 10 ounces so weight is negligible. Lastly I'm sure (or hoping) that no one would bring their six shooters out to bring it down. My drone is much safer than your P-Shooters and lets face it ladies and gentlemen, no one here is that good of a shot. Remember, the drone I wanted to bring was 3.5 inches square. Yeah, your just going to be hitting air. Thanks for renewing my faith in the hiking community, I hope to steer clear from some of you on the trail...... oh i'm sorry..... your trail.

Uncle Joe
01-04-2016, 20:03
Drone are the new hysteria. Like most things, if you don't like them then you likely are just fine with inhibiting the rights of those that do. Just like most things.

RockDoc
01-04-2016, 20:25
This is happening all over the world.

We were in remote western Iceland in Sept, visiting a spectacular waterfall called Dynjandi. There were maybe a dozen cars at the parking area, maybe 50 people in all (this was rather crowded for Iceland). All the usual antics were happening regarding selfie sticks, machine gunning digicam operators, etc. But there was a guy setting up a drone at the parking lot as we left. I instantly made a note to self: avoid "popular" tourist destinations.

You just have to get farther and farther away from people to escape this *****.

colorado_rob
01-04-2016, 20:26
Drone are the new hysteria. Like most things, if you don't like them then you likely are just fine with inhibiting the rights of those that do. Just like most things.True this, but this new hysteria can be invasive, both from a privacy standpoint and from a peacefulness standpoint. WHO is inhibiting WHO'S rights???? Get real.
WHY do people like taking so many selfies? My wife got creamed on a ski run by some clown snowboarding with a selfie stick, not paying attention. Does he REALLY think anyone else in the entire world wants to see him snowboarding???? Does HE really care about seeing himself snowboarding?
Now we apparently have hikers that want aerial views of themselves hiking. For some reason.
If I see a drone sitting on the ground on a trail, I will probably not see it clearly, given my poor eyesight, and since I'm quite clumsy, I'll probably trample it, accidently, that is. If this drone nonsense gets really bad, I'll buy one of these:

http://jammers4u.com/drones-jammer
Assuming, of course, that they are perfectly, 100% legal.

Starchild
01-04-2016, 20:47
To be very blunt, the blend of technology and nature is the future of humanity and our destiny, what 'Ma Nature' was guiding us towards and what she always wanted for her children. Those who feel otherwise are the 'gifted children', who ride the short bus. Still equally loved but may need a bit more help and special classes.

MuddyWaters
01-04-2016, 20:57
Drone are the new hysteria. Like most things, if you don't like them then you likely are just fine with inhibiting the rights of those that do. Just like most things.

Not when they are prohibited because they are contrary to the reason certain areas were set aside. In that case its exactly the opposite, someone with one is a douchebag that doesnt respect other peoples rights, and only cares about what they want.

People with no respect for others legal rights, is what is wrong with society. It is why we have police, and jail.

Sarcasm the elf
01-04-2016, 22:19
On a more practical note, I would be interested to know what effects these drones have on wildlife, particularly birds. I wouldn't be surprised to find that these things are highly disruptive to certain species.

Uncle Joe
01-04-2016, 22:35
Not when they are prohibited because they are contrary to the reason certain areas were set aside. In that case its exactly the opposite, someone with one is a douchebag that doesnt respect other peoples rights, and only cares about what they want.

People with no respect for others legal rights, is what is wrong with society. It is why we have police, and jail.

I don't disagree that where they're prohibited the law should be followed. I'm more concerned about why they're prohibited, which is not to say there are not legitimate reasons. You seem to be reacting rather passionately which in my mind bolsters my hysteria contention.

On a more practical note, I would be interested to know what effects these drones have on wildlife, particularly birds. I wouldn't be surprised to find that these things are highly disruptive to certain species.

Certainly something be concerned about in certain environments, I'll give you that. However, we forget what are called drones today were simply the radio controlled model airplanes of yesterday. Add a camera, which broadens the appeal, and suddenly you have the "drone." No one worried about model planes or other aircraft until the word "drone" was applied to them. Drone are the "automatic weapons" of the remote control world.

Malto
01-04-2016, 23:08
I don't disagree that where they're prohibited the law should be followed. I'm more concerned about why they're prohibited, which is not to say there are not legitimate reasons. You seem to be reacting rather passionately which in my mind bolsters my hysteria contention.

I suspect they are illegal for the same reasons that hang gliding and BASE jumping is illegal in most/all NP, safety and an attempt to less intrusive. While I'm sure you would be safe and considerate, others won't be. the last thing I want to see while hiking is a flying camera taking pictures so some idiot can get an extra likie on Facie. (Not directed at you, you were the safe and considerate one.). That is likely why some are reacting "passionately"

One last reason to keep them banned is because they will get caught up in trees. On my run yesterday I saw one caught in a huge tree with zero chance of getting it down. (If I were king I would also banned helium balloons. Many of those Happy Birthday balloons that junior loses end up on top of mountains and ridges. just carried one out of the woods on my hike yesterday.)

MuddyWaters
01-04-2016, 23:47

Certainly something be concerned about in certain environments, I'll give you that. However, we forget what are called drones today were simply the radio controlled model airplanes of yesterday. Add a camera, which broadens the appeal, and suddenly you have the "drone." No one worried about model planes or other aircraft until the word "drone" was applied to them. Drone are the "automatic weapons" of the remote control world.

As someone that used to build and fly RC models,...ummm no. With the exception of cheap kids toys that dont really work well and crash and break in short time.
Real RC modelers generally belong to clubs, that lease land, maintain facilities. They need groomed runways. It takes practice , teaching, and developed skills to fly a real RC aircraft, and a lot of room. Real RC modelers also belong to the AMA and carry 1 million dollar liability insurance.

The cheap gyros and computer control that have enabled the stability of these drones in anyones hands, even a child, anywhere, is the game changer. In the hands of ignorant people, which are really the majority of buyers, they are used everywhere they are forbidden. This has prompted the FAA to require licensing for them . Users are largely ignorant of property airspace rights or where they can even be legally used. You basically cannot fly over private property under ~500 ft navigable airspace limit without permission.

No more passionate about this, than any of a number of other issues that threaten the limited wildness left of the AT. They are in same class as people that leave trash, dont bury poop, create disturbances, cut green firewood, contaminate water sources, etc. If someone cant behave properly..follow rules...respect others......stay home.

Uncle Joe
01-05-2016, 00:19
As someone that used to build and fly RC models,...ummm no. With the exception of cheap kids toys that dont really work well and crash and break in short time.
Real RC modelers generally belong to clubs, that lease land, maintain facilities. They need groomed runways. It takes practice , teaching, and developed skills to fly a real RC aircraft, and a lot of room. Real RC modelers also belong to the AMA and carry 1 million dollar liability insurance...

Okay so technically, there's still not much difference. I can buy, operate, and otherwise learn and enjoy an RC plane and not join any sort of club, lease land, or anything. The only thing separating an RC plane and a drone is a camera, greater expense and better gear, I'll give you. The rest is people, which granted, is the crux of the problem. I won't debate whether they could or even do get out of hand and rise to the level of polluters. Getting a handle on it now and establishing rules and guidelines is probably a good idea. Not disputing that.

gpburdelljr
01-05-2016, 00:25
The following link goes to a PDF of the Appalachian National Scenic Trail resource Management Plan, September 2008.

http://www.nps.gov/appa/learn/nature/upload/AT_Resource_Management_Plan_Ch_1.pdf

if you read it, you will see that a portion of the plan is to protect "natura soundscapes" and "scenic views".

For those that scoff at laws banning certain activities on national scenic trails, they should consider that these areas would not exist it there were not federal laws creating them. Instead, it would all be developed.

Uncle Joe
01-05-2016, 00:26
While I'm sure you would be safe and considerate, others won't be.

FWIW, I have very little interest in drones and even less in taking them on the trail.

MuddyWaters
01-05-2016, 07:33
Okay so technically, there's still not much difference. I can buy, operate, and otherwise learn and enjoy an RC plane and not join any sort of club, lease land, or anything. The only thing separating an RC plane and a drone is a camera, greater expense and better gear, I'll give you. The rest is people, which granted, is the crux of the problem. I won't debate whether they could or even do get out of hand and rise to the level of polluters. Getting a handle on it now and establishing rules and guidelines is probably a good idea. Not disputing that.

People been taking pictures wirh cameras in model aircraft and model rockets for 40 years . it was expensive and required skill and effort on part of photographer. You didnt do these things places you werent supposed to.

Drones are dirt cheap and just starting to take off ( no pun intended) due to stability and ease of operation. Court case a few months ago about someone using one to photograph neighbor daughter sunbathing in fenced backyard highlights the problems these are creating. Yes, the problem is 100% the users. Too many idiots in the mainstream population that have easy cheap access to a new toy that can be abused with little effort. Expect many new laws in future to prevent disturbances and invasion of privacy concerns. They will be prohibited by subdivision restrictions, municipal and state areas, etc. In the end, there will likely be noplace you can legally use one, except on private land where you have permission, or with a permit on municipal/state/fed lands.

Traveler
01-05-2016, 08:35
To be clear, its not those who are "against" new things that have caused the issue. Drone and RC aircraft (different equipment by definition) now require registration through the FAA, due to their irresponsible use. Buzzing wildlife and climbers in National Parks (including dropping them into pristine hot springs in Yellowstone), taking video/photos of people who believe they have privacy, peering into windows at altitudes above street level, weaponizing with flame throwers and guns, and flying in close proximity to manned aircraft without the ability to see and avoid, all have piled up to create a ban in lands managed by the NPS and the FAA to require registration.

Licensing for pilots of drones capable of sustained flight out of sight of the operator controls, along with mandated equipment on them to mitigate the lack of see and avoid issue is likely to happen over the next several years. This will include heavy drone craft capable of carrying payloads like Amazon wants to engage and for LE and SAR use. Though small RC aircraft will probably be exempt from these due to the limited range of operation, they aren't exempt from registration if they weigh (with payload) over 0.55 pounds up to 55 pounds (heavier unmanned aircraft fall into a higher level of registry and operational rules).

Given the potential of these machines to become handy and conversely to cause great damage and/or loss of life, registration is not a bad idea and is along the lines of boats and ATVs. Registration alone does not solve the abuse issue, but does provide information of responsibility when laws are broken or damage occurs.

Pedaling Fool
01-05-2016, 09:00
This issue of drones is far from over, there are a lot of complicated issues associated with this and will be interesting to watch in the coming years. Pretty good article on that http://www.forbes.com/sites/gregorymcneal/2014/06/20/national-park-service-bans-drones-and-model-aircraft-pending-evaluation-of-their-potential-uses/

The current policy is not set in stone, it's not law per se, just a band aid, that's why they call it an Interim Policy, because they know how difficult this issue is and will become more complicated as technology improves. http://www.nps.gov/policy/PolMemos/PM_14-05.htm

rocketsocks
01-05-2016, 09:24
Yup, much to ponder. As someone who flew fixed wing RC sail planes in competition I can say it's a good idea to have some rules here. Most of these fall under "experimental aircraft" and as such are subject to rules...fer fools. Shooting rockets require permitig, many flying RC planes carry insurance through the American modelers, to not have this can be a real hardship if ya fudge up...everyone fudges up eventually. Then there's the question of drones being used for comerse, which will likely require licencing, and any time you have licensing you'll have a but load of paper pushers to go with it...paper pushers cost money, and when someone makes money, uncle Sam wants his cut...see where this is going? Very involved indeed. So it's not just about some annoying toy in the woods.

Cannon
01-05-2016, 09:46
Yup, much to ponder. As someone who flew fixed wing RC sail planes in competition I can say it's a good idea to have some rules here. Most of these fall under "experimental aircraft" and as such are subject to rules...fer fools. Shooting rockets require permitig, many flying RC planes carry insurance through the American modelers, to not have this can be a real hardship if ya fudge up...everyone fudges up eventually. Then there's the question of drones being used for comerse, which will likely require licencing, and any time you have licensing you'll have a but load of paper pushers to go with it...paper pushers cost money, and when someone makes money, uncle Sam wants his cut...see where this is going? Very involved indeed. So it's not just about some annoying toy in the woods.

One big thing here is that the Hobby RC guys invest tons of time and money learning safe flying because crashing costs a lot of money. Now you can just throw down a few hundred dollars and almost literally fly it out of the box. Now that "drones" are registered aircraft, technically the penalty is the same as shooting down a full size airliner. I have a nice one which is now retired. I'm not a crazy anti government hippie but I'm not voluntarily going on any lists because I own a 1 pound toy helicopter, I'd rather not fly it. The legislation and politics of drones is a **** show as I constantly see news stations and TV shows using drones for getting footage when they are not supposed to be used for commercial purposes yet...

P.S. Don't bring it on a thru hike.

Cosmo
01-05-2016, 19:33
And there's also ATC Policy:

http://www.appalachiantrail.org/docs/default-source/trail-management-policies/unmanned-aircraft-2015.pdf?sfvrsn=2

Cosmo

The following link goes to a PDF of the Appalachian National Scenic Trail resource Management Plan, September 2008.

http://www.nps.gov/appa/learn/nature/upload/AT_Resource_Management_Plan_Ch_1.pdf

if you read it, you will see that a portion of the plan is to protect "natura soundscapes" and "scenic views".

For those that scoff at laws banning certain activities on national scenic trails, they should consider that these areas would not exist it there were not federal laws creating them. Instead, it would all be developed.

juma
01-05-2016, 19:45
the rangers are using drones to monitor people's packing out trash and toilet paper!

jimmyjam
01-05-2016, 21:10
Leave the drones at home. You want to see the trail , come hike it and bring a camera. I don't carry when I hike but drones have me rethinking it.

George
01-05-2016, 21:26
just make sure the drone carries a gun and all will be in balance

Lone Wolf
01-05-2016, 21:38
y'all are freakin' out over nothin'. ain't nobody gonna carry a drone in their pack and whip it out on mountain tops. if they do it'll be when y'all are on your damn iphones

rocketsocks
01-05-2016, 22:35
I personally like this one, way cool.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/393053146/powerup-30-smartphone-controlled-paper-airplane

kayak karl
01-06-2016, 19:40
I personally like this one, way cool.
so you want to trash up the trail with paper airoplanes do ya. it's not way cool. i'm OFFENDED :( PS. How were your holidays RS *<[;-)>

squeezebox
01-06-2016, 21:07
y'all are freakin' out over nothin'. ain't nobody gonna carry a drone in their pack and whip it out on mountain tops. if they do it'll be when y'all are on your damn iphones

A fair point!

tf bear
01-06-2016, 22:36
There are several places you can get them. The Creamery in NJ has awsome cones. I had gram cracker double dipper. I think you can also get one at the half gallon challenge but tough to eat the entire half gallon on a cone. Pretzel cones are my favorite, but then again any cone will do at the end of the long day on the trail. OH...my bad...he said drones.

rocketsocks
01-07-2016, 00:03
so you want to trash up the trail with paper airoplanes do ya. it's not way cool. i'm OFFENDED :( PS. How were your holidays RS *<[;-)>
Not bad mishta smaty pants, though missed seeing that picture of you in Santa wear this year...that's a great picture.

ALLEGHENY
01-07-2016, 00:20
Leave the drones at home. You want to see the trail , come hike it and bring a camera. I don't carry when I hike but drones have me rethinking it.

The only way to stop a bad guy with a drone is a good guy with a drone.

rocketsocks
01-07-2016, 00:52
This how Starwars began.

rocketsocks
01-07-2016, 00:54
Some cameras has wings :D

rocketsocks
01-07-2016, 00:56

This how Starwars began.
My R2D2 is bigger than your C3PO :D

Lone Wolf
01-07-2016, 04:49
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-3387542/The-MEGADRONE-big-carry-passenger-Chinese-firm-says-self-flying-craft-used-smart-taxi.html

Traveler
01-07-2016, 08:05
Self-flying aircraft are like the "flying car" concept, neither conducive to long life.

4eyedbuzzard
01-07-2016, 09:12
This how Starwars began.

Some cameras has wings :D

You are really droning on in this thread. ;) :D

Traveler
01-07-2016, 09:13
You are really droning on in this thread. ;) :D

That pun just doesn't fly.....

4eyedbuzzard
01-07-2016, 09:20
That pun just doesn't fly.....Not surprising as I just threw it out there on a wing and a prayer.

kayak karl
01-07-2016, 19:30
Not bad mishta smaty pants, though missed seeing that picture of you in Santa wear this year...that's a great picture.
Miss no more :)

fiddlehead
01-07-2016, 20:29
I guess this shoots my idea down about robots carrying our packs someday.
Are kites still allowed?

rocketsocks
01-07-2016, 22:39

33236better still, that's a beautiful thing. :)

rocketsocks
01-07-2016, 22:43
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-3387542/The-MEGADRONE-big-carry-passenger-Chinese-firm-says-self-flying-craft-used-smart-taxi.html
Trail name

"Jetson".....George Jetson"

kayak karl
01-07-2016, 23:26
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=liZoOiulShQ

THEDON
01-08-2016, 12:15

Darn...There goes my idea of starting a drone service to resupply hikers and haul out their trash. Looks like I'll have to stick with my Service Dog accreditation for thru hikers good for Baxter State Park. :)

Cannon
01-08-2016, 19:59
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=liZoOiulShQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M8YjvHYbZ9w

You almost feel bad when they kick it.

rocketsocks
01-08-2016, 22:22
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M8YjvHYbZ9w

You almost feel bad when they kick it.

drone tippin' :D

turtle fast
01-12-2016, 12:52
Robotic dogs next? It was posted earlier but the practicality of hauling a drone and flying it in the forest or on mountaintop clearings with variable wind conditions poses many risks to the machine. Their would be limited areas like Roan Mountain where it would be useful with easy access. Though just snapping a few photos with your smartphone would be easier and lighter......though we gotta remember tuba man with respect to a weight item.

JumpMaster Blaster
01-12-2016, 19:22
There's a difference between a phone in my pocket, making no noise at all when I take a picture or look at it, and a giant mechanical wasp buzzing around my head obnoxiously.

I can operate my phone without it making any noise or distracting you from enjoying nature. A drone? No. I hope I never see one out there. This will be the one time I suggest someone leave that crap at home.

JumpMaster Blaster
01-12-2016, 19:29

Yes. They. Will.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_a9Na14pxLg

Don H
01-12-2016, 20:27
There's a difference between a phone in my pocket, making no noise at all when I take a picture or look at it, and a giant mechanical wasp buzzing around my head obnoxiously.

I can operate my phone without it making any noise or distracting you from enjoying nature. A drone? No. I hope I never see one out there. This will be the one time I suggest someone leave that crap at home.

We use to argue here about cell phones (and trekking poles) 15 years ago.

Lone Wolf
01-12-2016, 20:46
Yes. They. Will.

i'm talkin' about backpackers not day hikers or folks drivin' up to popular overlooks , etc.

Wise Old Owl
01-12-2016, 21:44

I am saving that for future use... got a Granddaughter. Nice Pic KK

Traveler
01-13-2016, 08:10

Yes. They. Will.

"No one ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American public" H.L. Mencken

MuddyWaters
01-13-2016, 09:18
i'm talkin' about backpackers not day hikers or folks drivin' up to popular overlooks , etc.

If new hikers will pack a guitar , tupperware containers, folding shovel, laptop computer and xbox, full size pillow, multiple books,cast iron skillet, folding chair, coleman camping stove, lantern, boom box, small hard sided cooler, or .......even the well storied tuba....... its likely that theres people out there that will bring almost anything.

How long they keep it is irrelevant. We all seen whats found at shelters in GA in the spring. I saw all the above but the tuba.

I gotta agree, dont overestimate the intelligence of the average person.

Traffic Jam
01-13-2016, 10:13

A subtle nuance but the operator is in control of their phone/camera and chooses what they record. I trust other hikers to not take a photo of me squatting in the woods, changing clothes, washing, swimming in my underwear, or taking care of my diva cup. A drone records indiscriminately with no such scruples.

squeezebox
01-13-2016, 19:36
If new hikers will pack a guitar , tupperware containers, folding shovel, laptop computer and xbox, full size pillow, multiple books,cast iron skillet, folding chair, coleman camping stove, lantern, boom box, small hard sided cooler, or .......even the well storied tuba....... its likely that theres people out there that will bring almost anything.

How long they keep it is irrelevant. We all seen whats found at shelters in GA in the spring. I saw all the above but the tuba.

I gotta agree, dont overestimate the intelligence of the average person.

Does that mean I don't get to bring my accordion??

MuddyWaters
01-13-2016, 20:31
Does that mean I don't get to bring my accordion??

Being of much german descent, I am always up for some polka music. Bring it on.

Kaptainkriz
01-13-2016, 20:41
Ran into this mysterious drummer once in Henry Cowell Redwoods State Park:

http://youtu.be/ij3bIwmpYsA

Traveler
01-14-2016, 08:35
That must be the legendary Big Cymbal.

TexasBob
01-14-2016, 09:26
Ran into this mysterious drummer once in Henry Cowell Redwoods State Park:

http://youtu.be/ij3bIwmpYsA

This is a situation that calls for an armed drone.

Traveler
01-14-2016, 10:37
Or the latest from the vaunted Guns 'fer Nuts collection:

https://sp.yimg.com/xj/th?id=OIP.M7b28c0ed2ea92de4c73173671cbf024ao0&pid=15.1&P=0&w=297&h=154

squeezebox
01-14-2016, 11:01
Seriously! How noisy are drones? Any idea what the drone and control box weighs?

Traveler
01-14-2016, 12:17
Seriously! How noisy are drones? Any idea what the drone and control box weighs?

Depends on the type of aircraft, some are very noisy if they have to haul payload like video cameras, etc. Some are very small and not very noisy. Control boxes and drones range in weight from about 5-6 pounds to 40 depending on how sophisticated the gear is. The problem is not necessarily the noise, though some idiots using these things will buzz hikers, technical climbers, and wildlife, its the associated issues that are the real concern. Hovering over people skinny dipping in a small stream eddy well off the trail for example, or dropping one into one of the pristine hot springs at Yellowstone as some dolt did recently. Good job.

I've no issue with drone regulations and prohibitions as irresponsible use has created the need for these actions.

Lone Wolf
01-14-2016, 12:47
drones are not gonna be a problem on the AT

squeezebox
01-14-2016, 14:00
drones are not gonna be a problem on the AT

Just to play devil's advocate. What about some of the tourists and day hikers?

George
01-14-2016, 14:38
Or the latest from the vaunted Guns 'fer Nuts collection:

https://sp.yimg.com/xj/th?id=OIP.M7b28c0ed2ea92de4c73173671cbf024ao0&pid=15.1&P=0&w=297&h=154

I have 2 of these mounted on my hiking drone - works great for running snorers out of shelters so me and my 8 dogs can get some rest

Francis Sawyer
01-15-2016, 15:39
When drones are outlawed only outlaws will have drones!

Francis Sawyer
01-15-2016, 15:40
They can have my drone , from my cold dead hands!

squeezebox
01-15-2016, 16:41
They can have my drone , from my cold dead hands!

Your proposal is acceptable.
from "Men in Black"

4eyedbuzzard
01-21-2016, 21:11
Fight fire with fire - A couple of these would solve the problem http://www.allthatsnews.com/videos/science/watch-drone-catcher-every-drones-worst-nightmare-video

Francis Sawyer
01-22-2016, 10:44
Things to leave at home. Cast iron skilets,hatchets,bongo drums,portable showers, tubas, violins, snake leggings, televisions,laptops,microwaves....... Anyone care to add?

Puddlefish
01-22-2016, 10:58
Things to leave at home. Cast iron skilets,hatchets,bongo drums,portable showers, tubas, violins, snake leggings, televisions,laptops,microwaves....... Anyone care to add?

I just did a Google image search for snake leggings, I was not disappointed.

Sarcasm the elf
01-22-2016, 11:20
I just did a Google image search for snake leggings, I was not disappointed. Why would a snake need leggings?

Off topic, but If you're bored do a google images search for "Bad Taxidermy" it's worth the price of admission.

Puddlefish
01-22-2016, 11:25
Why would a snake need leggings?

Off topic, but If you're bored do a google images search for "Bad Taxidermy" it's worth the price of admission.

Bad taxidermy is far better than regular taxidermy!

rocketsocks
01-22-2016, 12:55
Fight fire with fire - A couple of these would solve the problem http://www.allthatsnews.com/videos/science/watch-drone-catcher-every-drones-worst-nightmare-video
I was thinking a jammer in the 75MHz range might be a fun thing to have and help pass the time.:D

dervari
01-22-2016, 16:59
And, could land you in a federal prison.

Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk

dervari
01-22-2016, 17:04
And, could land you in a federal prison.

That should have been just land you in prison. I hate not being able to edit post.

Furlough
02-14-2016, 18:40
http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/technology/scientists-are-teaching-drones-to-find-lost-hikers/ar-BBptCRF?ocid=spartanntp

TiHiker
02-14-2016, 19:31
As Colorado Rob so quickly pointed out this is, indeed, an interesting thread. However, the vitriol by many is unnecessary. A simple reply with the facts that clearly state drones are not allowed, unless authorized for the making of a movie, which is probably controversial of its own, would have sufficed. I was an early hiker of the PCT and enjoyed the solitude it offered. I am older now (much) and planning to hike the AT next year (after giving my new knee a chance to fully heal). I have joined whiteblaze to tap into its community for thoughtful suggestions and critics. Part of hiking the AT, for me, is having some solitude and I would probably shoot down a drone if I were on the trail (and...somewhere it is legal to carry). I think folks could be a tad kinder when seemingly silly questions are asked. As someone else mentioned... he did ask...I just don't think he expected to be bludgeoned for doing so. :-)
Food for thought!

Traveler
02-15-2016, 09:20
As Colorado Rob so quickly pointed out this is, indeed, an interesting thread. However, the vitriol by many is unnecessary. A simple reply with the facts that clearly state drones are not allowed, unless authorized for the making of a movie, which is probably controversial of its own, would have sufficed. I was an early hiker of the PCT and enjoyed the solitude it offered. I am older now (much) and planning to hike the AT next year (after giving my new knee a chance to fully heal). I have joined whiteblaze to tap into its community for thoughtful suggestions and critics. Part of hiking the AT, for me, is having some solitude and I would probably shoot down a drone if I were on the trail (and...somewhere it is legal to carry). I think folks could be a tad kinder when seemingly silly questions are asked. As someone else mentioned... he did ask...I just don't think he expected to be bludgeoned for doing so. :-)
Food for thought!

colorado_rob
02-15-2016, 10:00
...........Well, I did learn a new word today, "vitriol". But for the life of me, not sure what "............" means.

rafe
02-15-2016, 10:16
I was thinking a jammer in the 75MHz range might be a fun thing to have and help pass the time.:D

Most modern RC craft are on Wi-Fi bands now (2.4 GHz.) Hardly any real RC enthusiasts using 72 MHz. any more.

Traveler
02-16-2016, 09:15
Well, I did learn a new word today, "vitriol". But for the life of me, not sure what "............" means.

Its kind of a digital shaking of the head, given the posters self contradiction in the highlighted text.

Pedaling Fool
04-03-2016, 13:45
Using drones to find lost hikers. Apparently the Swiss have similar problems with people losing their way...

Excerpt:

Researchers at the University of Zurich, the Università della Svizzera italiana, and the University of Applied Sciences and Arts of Southern Switzerland have developed software enabling drones to autonomously detect and follow forest paths. With the new drones, missing persons can be found and rescued quickly in forests and mountain areas.

Every year, thousands of people lose their way in forests and mountain areas. In Switzerland alone, emergency centers respond to around 1,000 calls annually from injured and lost hikers. But drones can effectively complement the work of rescue services teams. Because they are inexpensive and can be rapidly deployed in large numbers, they substantially reduce the response time and the risk of injury to missing persons and rescue teams alike.

A group of researchers from the Dalle Molle Institute for Artificial Intelligence and the University of Zurich has developed artificial intelligence (http://phys.org/tags/artificial+intelligence/) software to teach a small quadrocopter to autonomously recognize and follow forest trails. A premiere in the fields of artificial intelligence and robotics, this success means drones could soon be used in parallel with rescue teams to accelerate the search for people lost in the wild.

Read more at: http://phys.org/news/2016-02-drones-forest-trails-lost-people.html#jCp