PDA

View Full Version : Interesting piece on how to get in shape walking-wise

minnesotasmith
12-12-2005, 01:23
I found this on another Internet forum. Here is the lead essay, and the more substantive replies.
================================================

Lessons learned walking 15.5 miles a day
<HR style="COLOR: #000000" SIZE=1><!-- / icon and title --><!-- message -->For the past five weeks, I have been walking to work. The walk is 7.78 miles one way, so about 15.5 miles round trip.

I came up with this crazy plan for a variety of reasons, but the primary reasons were:

* I have been recovering from a (minor) brain tumor for two years and became a too much a part of my furniture during that time. Time to get back into shape.

* Gas is expensive. I make good money, but I'm cheap http://www.timebomb2000.com/forums/wink.gif.

* I think we're facing a time in the near future where we're all going to be doing a lot more walking; might as well get ready now.

I've learned a number of things while I've been fine tuning this process. Hikers won't find any of these lessons to be anything new, but if long distance walking will be a survival requirement and you haven't done it, you might find these ideas helpful...

(Your mileage may vary: My walk is flat and entirely in city. I live in the PNW, where it is rainy, but not terribly cold. The walk originally took me about three hours each way, now down to two and a half hours.)

* Walking five miles is easy. I was in terrible shape when I started this, but I still found five miles to be no big deal. Miles six and seven were hard and the last half mile was really tough. This did not really change for the first few weeks of walking. For the first two and a half weeks, I only walked to work one way, as the full fifteen miles would have done damage. Figure anyone in reasonable health with two working legs can walk five miles a day, but don't plan on too much more if they're out of shape.

* After three weeks, I felt like the only limitation on how far I could walk was the number of hours in the day. There is still pain involved, but it levels out after about ten miles and doesn't really get any worse.

* You might be sore as hell the day after walking seven miles, but that soreness will alleviate after walking a half mile. There were days where I was so sore when I got out of bed that I thought there was no way I could make the walk to work, but I felt fine after the first few hundred yards.

* If you are out of shape for walking, your feet and legs will hurt. If you stop and rest, it will get worse. It did not take long for me to decide on no resting until I reached my destination.

* Double up on socks. With doubled socks, I only got a few small blisters and those quickly calloused over.

* Rain sucks if you are going to walk for two and a half hours. I live in the PNW and there is plenty of rain. I had a few miserable walks before I got my gear in order.

* If you have to walk through mud on your route, you will eventually slip and fall. Plan accordingly.

* Wearing a backpack or carrying a bag is really annoying if you don't really need it. It interferes with your mobility, keeps your clothes from breathing, and generally doesn't balance very well. I bought a Scott e-Vest. The Scott vest is all pockets and can easily carry all the stuff I use during five hours of walking. The weight is better balanced than a pack and everything is accessible.

* If you live in a wet place, even in the city, your lower pant legs will soak through. Gaiters got rid of that problem.

* A truly water-proof hat is essential. I had a hat that I thought was good, but several hours in pouring rain taught me that even good hats have seams that will eventually soak through and leak. After trying a few hats, I eventually stuck with the "Seattle Sombrero" from Outdoor Research. No leaks.

* Between 20 and 40 degrees, you will probably not get cold if you are walking at a good clip, unless you start sweating. There is a balance to achieve between walking speed and clothing layers. I try to balance things so that I can walk at my maximum speed without sweating through my clothes and yet remain warm enough. This balance seems to be right when I am cold for the first ten minutes, but then warm up. If I am warm at the beginning of the walk, I'll be too hot ten minutes in.

* If you are going to walk five hours per day, it pays to have some entertainment. I have a Sangean D200V pocket radio, which is just great - goes for days on a pair of AAs. I also have an iPod, but I find I use the radio more. When I bought the Scott vest, I also bought a wearable solar panel from them. I modified it with snaps so that I can snap it to the back of whatever coat I am using. With this and a USB-powered battery charger, I can charge AA batteries while I am walking. I usually get enough charging for a pair of AAs even on cloudy days. Not an essential gadget, but a nice to have.

* Carrying an extra pair of socks is a good idea. Even with good water-proof shoes, you can come up with creative ways to get your feet wet.

That's all I can think of at the moment. Overall, this has been a very positive experiment for me and I plan to continue it for the forseeable future. Five hours a day is a big committment of time, but I find it is really time well spent.
------------------------------------------------------------
...found near the same thing on my Oregon trip. I was hiking 5-7 miles a day with some rock climbing and rough country in plus sand. A backpack that rides high on your shoulders and snug helps a lot.

I pprefer combat boots-even tennis shoes give me blisters.

Vest is great.

Covering for head helps too since I keep mine shaved.

If you have to rest don't sit-stand and rest.

You can't get good photos on a crowded beach.
-------------------------------------------------------
hmmm

5 hrs walking
8 hrs sleeping, dressing and hygene
9 hrs working and lunch
__

22 hrs

2 hrs for other stuff

My Thoughts (maybe not relevant):

I think one hour per day of more intense exercise
would produce better physical results.

Walkng in the woods, like our ancestors did, is
entitely different from walking on a street. It is
more stress on the body and also better develops
your subconcious mind to look for danger and obsticles
while you are thinking about other stuff.

Now that you have learned from it, that time
could be better spent.

But, you seem to enjoy it, that counts for a lot. I would
suggest trying to find new trails, espesially trails through
the woods for as much of the route as you can.
--------------------------------------------------------
I'd get a mountain or hybrid bike. You can cover that distance in a fraction of the time. The only drawback is securing the bike at work. That could be a problem for some......
----------------------------------------------------------
I'm very impressed... thank you for your interesting post and best wishes to you! Give us an update on the walking from time to time!

I either walk on the (rural) road or out in the woods, with 10 or 15 lb dumbells. If no one is looking you can do "squat walks" which are very beneficial and do all sorts of things with your arms. The woods are nice because of the variety of terrain and I can take all the dogs along off-leash. Since my son broke his ankle and is still not quite up to walking ... I can only do it when I don't have the children here... ah well!
---------------------------------------------------------------
Original writer: I'm sure that I won't keep this up forever, but while I'm still enjoying it, I'll stick with it. I only work a four day week, so I have three days to screw around. I get my entertainment for the day while walking, so I don't really find that I'm missing the free time. I will probably eventually return to driving to work one way and walking the other, which is still a lot of walking.

I may eventually try biking as well, but I have reduced sensation in my left side, which makes it very difficult to balance on a bike - potentially hazardous in the city. Luckily, walking is very undemanding (if a bit slow).
-----------------------------------------------------------------
Good for you, XXX -- as you discovered, the human body is an adaptable machine, ultimately conditioning in response to the stress of vigorous exercise.

Much of what you noted also applies to road bicycling (vs. mountain or trail bicycling) -- I ride a 25-mile road bicycle route four times per week, and a 60-mile run every other weekend -- rain, cold or shine. The mix of proper clothing is key -- too warm when starting out, and you will overheat and start shedding clothes along the way -- being cool the first 10-15 minutes of the exercise is usually indicative of an overall comfortable dress/temp for the duration of the exercise period -- I usually try to break a sweat within the first 10 or so minutes -- once this occurs, warmth is usually the least problem, presuming that the dress is matched properly to the temp and task.

Particularly notable during the cooler months -- stopping and resting along the way will often result in your body becoming cold, as it quickly disapates the excess heat, and your sweat cools -- instead, try to stay moving during the entire exercise period in order to reduce chilling.

I have ridden in outside temps of 10°F, sun shining bright -- the atmosphere is, uh, REAL exhilarating, to say the least . . . ESPECIALLY when my average road speed hovers around 18 MPH, with 30+ MPH blasts on the occasional downhill, and the gear change mechanicals become borderline inoperative due to the extreme cold.
-------------------------------------------------------------
The one thing I noticed when I started walking a few hours a day is I deal with all the thoughts that try to race through my head when I want to go to bed.

Glad to hear you are taking action to improve your health and I am glad you did the post.

Have you worn out any shoes yet?

I found that when I spend a few hours a day walking or whatever I really cut back on the tv and cable and what not. Matter of fact, I started walking more when my c-band satellite dish went on the fritz and I just decided not to fix it. Get in better shape and save some money.<!-- / message --><!-- sig -->My sat. receiver died and I am happier.
-----------------------------------------------------------
If I may interject a thought here, I would put away the entertainment. I spent a couple of years just west of PDX and spent 2 hours a day walking for cardiac rehab (6 miles). You can't imagine all the things that go through the mind when you are free like that. Solve problems as you go or be given a show by the local folks as they go about whatever they are trying to do. Very entertaining in its own right.

I am sure you feel much better for having started this routine. Keep on going and good luck.
------------------------------------------------------------------
There is a man called steve who lives in edmonds wa in his late 80's who walks 10 miles a day seven days a week, he has been doing this for the past 15 years, I have walked with him but hard to keep up. can you top this????????
-----------------------------------------------------
My dad walked 10 miles each and every day until the end of Oct. when he had surgery to remove cancer.

He's going insane because he can't get out and walk now. It's too slippery with all the snow and Mom won't let him go. She's too worried he'll fall.

I can't keep up with him and I'm half his age
----------------------------------------------------------
<!-- / message --><!-- sig -->
<!-- / sig -->

<!-- / message -->