PDA

View Full Version : Sealing a leaking sleeping pad, silicone and mineral spirits?

Mweber
01-04-2016, 13:13
Just bought a Big Agnes Insulated Air Core sleeping pad from an REI garage sale... Learned my lesson here on this one. Tag said it had a slow leak but once I submerged it i discovered it had hundreds of tiny pin holes (probably a manufacturing defect, but Big Agnes won't warranty it since it came from the REI garage sale). I was thinking about using a silicone/mineral spirits coating on the whole thing to try and reseal it.

For those of you that have used this method for sealing tarps/tents/etc. do you think it will have enough strength to seal the tiny holes? I only spent $15 on it so I'm not too worried about what happens to it.

Mweber
01-04-2016, 13:17
Also, has anyone tried using spray polyurethane as a sealant? I feel like it would be too hard and brittle, but figured I would see if anyone else has tried and what there experience was?

Slo-go'en
01-04-2016, 13:44
You can try, but my guess is anything you try to seal it will with rub off or delaminate pretty quickly. That's why pin holes are fixed by gluing a patch over the hole. It sounds like you'd need a patch big enough to cover the whole mat and that isn't practical.

Gambit McCrae
01-04-2016, 13:51
The problem with these here blowup pads is that the 200 lbs of pressure is stronger when laying on it then what the adhesive properties can handle.

Weather-man
01-04-2016, 20:22
I repaired a Klymit recon with shoe goo ( the clear) and it's held up fine.

Sandy of PA
01-04-2016, 21:39
It sounds like someone slept on it with Deet on their body, I would chalk it up to experience.

Malto
01-04-2016, 23:11
I patched up a small leak in a Neoair with silicone. I know it held for 1200 miles on the AT and I believe a couple thousand more afterwards.

MuddyWaters
01-04-2016, 23:28
Sounds like the defects that were common in first generation neoair xlites.

Mweber
02-14-2016, 20:51
Just an update... I did do a silicone seal on the sleeping pad and it seems to have worked. When submerging underwater there are very few pinhole leaks and they are very slow. Planning to do another coat once the weather warms up and will update again once I've given it a go on the trail

Casey & Gina
02-14-2016, 21:46
We have 2 Big Agnes Q-Core pads that developed leaks at the I-beam welds, and without proof of purchase, Big Agnes is worthless, even if you are willing to pay. :(

Curious to hear how your experiment works out!

MuddyWaters
02-14-2016, 22:57
Just an update... I did do a silicone seal on the sleeping pad and it seems to have worked. When submerging underwater there are very few pinhole leaks and they are very slow. Planning to do another coat once the weather warms up and will update again once I've given it a go on the trail

But will you ever really trust it?
If not, then its just a challenge.

Don H
02-15-2016, 09:31
I wonder why REI would even sell an item at its Garage Sale that is totally unusable. You expect to buy slightly used returned items with maybe a minor repair needed or a part missing but not a totally unusable item. If the tag said "slow leak" but in reality it had hundreds of slow leaks I would make the case that the item was misrepresented as described. Did you contact REI about possibly returning it? And yes I know their policy is no returns on Garage Sale items.

I've been an REI member for probably 40 years and have never been to a Garage Sale, never felt like waiting in line for hours to get in.

Hosh
02-15-2016, 13:38
We have 2 Big Agnes Q-Core pads that developed leaks at the I-beam welds, and without proof of purchase, Big Agnes is worthless, even if you are willing to pay. :(

Curious to hear how your experiment works out!

Interesting, everybody has different experiences, but I sent back an Air Core that I had field patched to BA for a "professional" repair. They sent me a new pad, paid the freight, no receipt, no nothing.

chknfngrs
02-15-2016, 14:37
If it was advertised as having a slow leak in a garage sale, and in fact it has a slow leak, REI is not to blame but let the buyer beware.

TNhiker
02-15-2016, 14:54
Interesting, everybody has different experiences, but I sent back an Air Core that I had field patched to BA for a "professional" repair. They sent me a new pad, paid the freight, no receipt, no nothing.

likewise------i have sent back three and just shipped a fourth pad out to big agnes for repair......

the only thing ive paid for is the shipping to them.....

they have replaced and sent me new pads...........

jefals
02-15-2016, 18:25
any tips on finding these pin hole leaks when you're out on the trail? especially a trail like the pct, where there's not a lot of water to use for a purpose like this?

Hosh
02-15-2016, 19:12
I've been an REI member for probably 40 years and have never been to a Garage Sale, never felt like waiting in line for hours to get in.

Lines are one issue but the "hoarders" are worse. I went a couple of times looking for a family car camping tent. People would be surrounded by 4,5,6 tents and wouldn't let anyone look or touch them. I finally figured the extra 10 or 15% discount wasn't worth it and quit going to the sales.

chknfngrs
02-15-2016, 21:54
It's those danged preppers

Casey & Gina
02-15-2016, 22:09
likewise------i have sent back three and just shipped a fourth pad out to big agnes for repair......

the only thing ive paid for is the shipping to them.....

they have replaced and sent me new pads...........

Well when I called they said I could try sending them back but needed to fill out a request online, warned me several times that they don't fix REI Garage Sale items, guess they get a lot of those?? I then went online and it said proof of purchase (which I haven't got) was mandatory so I didn't try further. Maybe I will mail them in and see what happens; it's not like they are doing me any good now.

Hosh
02-15-2016, 22:28
Well when I called they said I could try sending them back but needed to fill out a request online, warned me several times that they don't fix REI Garage Sale items, guess they get a lot of those?? I then went online and it said proof of purchase (which I haven't got) was mandatory so I didn't try further. Maybe I will mail them in and see what happens; it's not like they are doing me any good now.

I don't recall what I did, but you should look at the "repair" process/claim form. It ask for a date, retailer, and if you have a receipt.

https://www.bigagnes.com/Home/WarrantyRepairsAndReturns

TNhiker
02-16-2016, 12:18

yeah.......

i fill out the request on line..........they send me a confirmation email saying a claim is going to be opened......then a day or so later, i get another email with claim number and an address to return item to...

ive never had to prove my purchase, and i just send the pad to them....

ive sent back and have gotten 3----and just sent another one this week.....

Hosh
02-16-2016, 13:40
There's lots of good companies in the backpacking/camping industry. They usually have pretty liberal return policies, which are funded by some pretty high gross margins. I like BA's products being a Colorado based company. Every couple of years or so, I take some sleeping bags to them for washing, $15 for a professional job.

It's a great excuse to visit Steamboat Springs, walk in the Mt Zirkel wilderness and soak in the Strawberry Park hot springs.

Casey, let us know what happens, hopefully they'll come through for you.

Don H
02-16-2016, 13:47
If it was advertised as having a slow leak in a garage sale, and in fact it has a slow leak, REI is not to blame but let the buyer beware.

So you don't think REI has any responsibility to indicate as accurately as possible what the problem is with an item? The fact that they tag an item with the problem stated would seem to indicate that they do. Seems to me that they should either accept responsibility for accurately describing the issues with an item or not describe the problem at all.

In this case they stated "a slow leak", maybe they should have indicated it had MULTIPLE leaks. I doubt anyone would buy a pad like that though which of course becomes a problem for REI.

TNhiker
02-16-2016, 14:31
In this case they stated "a slow leak", maybe they should have indicated it had MULTIPLE leaks. I doubt anyone would buy a pad like that though which of course becomes a problem for REI.

yeah......except i can guarantee ya how is was listed with a "slow leak".............thats the way it was returned..

as in---customer---"i wanna return this pad"
REI---"whats the reason for returning it?"
customer---"it has a slow leak"

i mean, after all, its not like REI is going to test the pad out for a more accurate description.......

and the REI garage sales are "all items sold as is".......

Don H
02-16-2016, 17:35
Well yes but if you bought a tent listed as "missing tent pegs" and you got it home and found it had a 2' rip in it and was missing the fly and poles don't think you'd have the basis for a complaint?

This is why I don't attend these sales although I know people who have got some great deals. I guess you just need to be careful of what you buy.

Casey & Gina
02-16-2016, 17:58
Well yes but if you bought a tent listed as "missing tent pegs" and you got it home and found it had a 2' rip in it and was missing the fly and poles don't think you'd have the basis for a complaint?

This is why I don't attend these sales although I know people who have got some great deals. I guess you just need to be careful of what you buy.

Everything is "as is". If you're going to get something from there, you should take it out in the store and set it up, blow it up, whatever you need to do to completely assess the product to your own satisfaction. As mentioned it will advertise whatever the customer returning the product said, REI does not have the resources to independently test everything and the prices at garage sales reflect that. I got our Big Agnes Scout UL2 for a great deal at an REI garage sale, but I knew before leaving the store that it had a small puncture that I'd need to repair. Also got a Therm-a-Rest Prolite regular, which had a single puncture and some obvious dirt from usage. Not even something I needed, but at $7, it was hard to resist - I figured at that price I'd tear it apart and learn more about it but it was such an easy repair that now I have a spare pad that if nothing else, I can give to someone in need. Surface punctures are super-easy to repair, unlike the recessed weld failures.

TNhiker
02-16-2016, 18:08

as is, is as is........

Hosh
02-16-2016, 18:20
You can fault REI for some things, some people thought the "outside" promotion during Black Friday was disingenuous, but their return policy is pretty liberal. I was once in line to purchase something and a guy with a cart full of crap that looked like it came from a homeless shelter was in the process of returning the items. Another time at a garage sale a 900 fill Marmot bag was for sale with a hole burnt in it from a cigarette or a joint, boots that looked like they were worn on completing both the AT and PCT that didn't "fit well".

It was good business to change their "satisfaction" policy to 12 months. Normal customers end up paying for people who take advantage of the system. Backcounty.com and others were quick to follow suit.

As stated above "as is" places 100% of the responsibility on the buyer.