PDA

View Full Version : ULA Fastpack - Has anyone tried it?

Coffee
01-04-2016, 14:21
Has anyone tried out the new ULA Fastpack yet?

http://www.ula-equipment.com/product_p/fp.htm

It looks awesome for quick overnights with minimal food and gear, or hut to hut style hiking. I purchased a CDT last year for that purpose but it is quite voluminous for hut to hut hiking or fast overnights. Not a big issue since my sleeping bag just takes up the excess space but the fastpack looks even better. But not sure I can justify having another pack and it actually weighs *more* than my CDT ... Hmmmmmmm. :-?

blue indian
01-04-2016, 15:07
I think you've answered your own question

Just Bill
01-04-2016, 15:20
Prefer one of these-
http://matthewkirk.blogspot.com/2016/01/the-not-so-fastpack.html

Otherwise not much reason for a Ray Way pack to clear 16 oz...:confused:

eblanche
01-04-2016, 21:10
over on bpl there is a thread about it too. I have been anxiously awaiting more detailed pics/review since the teaser pics on ULA's facebook page. Some concerns on the overall design of the shoulder strap pockets compared to an actual harness. I have also been considering the CDT but think it is too big! I currently have the ohm 2.0 and looking to downsize for fast and light summer weights which for me are at or under 9lb base weight.

Also awaiting MLD fkt packs.

Bill, interesting pack you linked there...

Coffee
01-04-2016, 23:55
I sent a few questions to ULA and got a reply quickly with some answers. It looks promising but I am probably going to wait for at least a few good reviews to appear. I'm a bit tempted to order one and check it out since ULA has a good return policy, but I'll probably wait. There are times I feel like a gear junkie just wanting to check out the latest gear but I'm pretty good about restraining myself.

colorado_rob
01-05-2016, 09:50
I guess I'm a little disappointed that this pack is only a couple/few ounces lighter than the OHM ? Don't get me wrong, I swear by ULA packs, but if you own an OHM, why buy one of these? There are other much lighter fast-pack options.

Coffee
01-05-2016, 11:33
I guess I'm a little disappointed that this pack is only a couple/few ounces lighter than the OHM ? Don't get me wrong, I swear by ULA packs, but if you own an OHM, why buy one of these? There are other much lighter fast-pack options.

Yes, I would like to see lower weight ideally. I think that the big difference between this fastpack and the others in the ULA lineup is volume as well as (hopefully) the ability of the pack to be snug enough to run without a lot of bouncing. It's going to be tough to know how it delivers in these areas without reading some reviews. I'm predisposed to favor ULA since I really like my Circuit and CDT so I really want to like the fastpack but I'm not usually an early adopter of new products...

eblanche
01-05-2016, 15:04
Yes, I would like to see lower weight ideally. I think that the big difference between this fastpack and the others in the ULA lineup is volume as well as (hopefully) the ability of the pack to be snug enough to run without a lot of bouncing
Exactly! My interest in this pack is due to smaller overall size and the ability to hug my body so bouncing is eliminated. With that said, I have on many occasions ran with my ohm 2.0 and it is not so bad. I suppose a secondary lower chest buckle would help similar to what MLD offers for their smaller packs.

Heliotrope
01-05-2016, 15:39
Looks like an awesome pack! I picked up a gossamer gear type
II. Which is a 26L pack which I plan to test out for 1 or 2 night trips in summer.. Currently use it for day hikes. I say go for it and let us know how it is!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

eblanche
01-19-2016, 09:08
Anyone end up ordering one? I am a bit surprised the initial reaction seemed very interested but no reports of anyone using it yet...

Coffee
01-19-2016, 10:10
I haven't purchased one yet. I'm trying to nail down my PCT thru kit first before I spend money on discretionary gear but this one is definitely still on my list.