PDA

View Full Version : Zpacks Cuben Fiber Poncho (Rain Advice for a Novice)

TurtleTracker
01-05-2016, 01:06
Background: Novice hiker looking to attempt a NOBO thru-hike starting in late March.

I'm debating rain gear and after looking through some of the boards, it seems like there is very little consensus. I have a descent columbia rain coat and rain pants that I plan to use at the start of my hike when it's cold (It's heavy sure, but as a novice I'm more than happy to carry it for the security of keeping warmer than some lighter weight options). However, I would like to get something different for the summer time.

I'm looking at the zpacks poncho: http://www.zpacks.com/accessories/groundsheet_poncho.shtml

I can't find much in the way of AT thru-hike reviews. The benefit of this poncho in the summer is that I won't need a pack cover or leg covering. As a hammock hanger it could also act as a ground cloth as well to help keep other things clean/dry. On the downside, the fabric doesn't breath but it does have pit zips and a chest zipper.

The cost is extreme, and originally I ruled it out for that reason, but it turns out I may be able to get it as a gift...so money aside, what do you think? Are there any cons I'm missing about this poncho? Pros? Would you recommend just doing Frogg Toggs in the summer and avoiding this whole thing?

Thanks!
TurtleTracker

mtntopper
01-05-2016, 21:18
Background: Novice hiker looking to attempt a NOBO thru-hike starting in late March.

I'm debating rain gear and after looking through some of the boards, it seems like there is very little consensus. I have a descent columbia rain coat and rain pants that I plan to use at the start of my hike when it's cold (It's heavy sure, but as a novice I'm more than happy to carry it for the security of keeping warmer than some lighter weight options). However, I would like to get something different for the summer time.

I'm looking at the zpacks poncho: http://www.zpacks.com/accessories/groundsheet_poncho.shtml

I can't find much in the way of AT thru-hike reviews. The benefit of this poncho in the summer is that I won't need a pack cover or leg covering. As a hammock hanger it could also act as a ground cloth as well to help keep other things clean/dry. On the downside, the fabric doesn't breath but it does have pit zips and a chest zipper.

The cost is extreme, and originally I ruled it out for that reason, but it turns out I may be able to get it as a gift...so money aside, what do you think? Are there any cons I'm missing about this poncho? Pros? Would you recommend just doing Frogg Toggs in the summer and avoiding this whole thing?

Thanks!
TurtleTracker

In the summer when it is hot and I am sweaty I use a pack cover and let the rain fall where it may. Ponchos are good however they can also be hot and the wind will blow them around a bit. I did get a trekking umbrella for Christmas and I am planning to experiment with come summer. Enjoy your trip.

nsherry61
01-05-2016, 21:49
Ponchos ventilate so they don't need to breath. They are fantastic warm weather water protection precisely because they are so well vented, you don't get all sweaty in them. Frankly, they are my also my go-to winter rain/snow protection because, when x-country skiing, snowshoeing or hiking, I generate moisture and it doesn't build up inside my poncho like it does in any of my rain shells regardless of how "breathable" they may be. For winter travel I use non-waterproof pants and wind jackets covered with the poncho if needed as protection from rain. Snow generally just bounces off my wind cloths so waterproof is not needed or helpful except when raining or very wet snowfall. Even at -10*F, I don't need to worry about being warm while moving, only staying warm while stopped, and rain-gear doesn't keep you warm, it just keeps you wet.

SWODaddy
01-05-2016, 23:04
Looks like you're paying $165 to save <4oz. I have a couple zpacks products and they make good stuff, but I'd stick with the Frogg Toggs here myself. I like the way the material feels and for $10-12 I can make it double as a ground cloth.

Slo-go'en
01-06-2016, 00:12
In the summer I use a poncho to keep from getting soaked to the bone by thunder storms. These blow by fairly quickly, so I just hunker down for the duration and don't try to hike through them. Since your pack is pretty light in the summer, you don't need a exceptionally light (and expensive) poncho.

I also go with the cheap Frogg Toggs. which is good enough for the few times it actually gets used. Definitely go with a real rain jacket in the spring and fall when your more likely to have extended periods of light to moderate rain.