PDA

View Full Version : Cabin with wood stove

Chagy7
01-05-2016, 10:18
Hey everyone,

This is my first post and I'm looking to see if anyone knows of any free cabins that have a wood stove or fireplace that are in either Massachusetts or Connecticut I know of a couple that I've stayed at in Vermont but living on the border of western ma and ct I'm looking for something a little closer for a nice winter hike and to stay this night it, it can be anywhere in either state and any trail at all.

Thanks

1azarus
01-05-2016, 10:49
The alander mountain cabin in Massachusett's mount Washington park (yes, Massachusetts!) Is on a beautiful trail, is free, and is a great place to stay when there is snow on the ground for a water source.

1azarus
01-05-2016, 10:51
Oh. And it has an old wood burning stove and a bunch of bunks.

Chagy7
01-05-2016, 12:58
Looks pretty awesome I'm planning on going out in a couple of weekends so this will probably be the place.

1azarus
01-05-2016, 15:46
Looks pretty awesome I'm planning on going out in a couple of weekends so this will probably be the place.

have a great trip. sounds like it might be just up the street from where you live! That whole area has some really pretty hiking. I suggest you get the free Maprika GPS on Ski Map smartphone app, find the South Taconic Range with Jug end Bushwack map, and use it on your trip. Well, maybe not the bushwack part, but otherwise pretty sweet free detailed map of that whole area.

Chagy7
01-07-2016, 11:52
Anyone else have any other cabins one possibly in ct I have a friend that wants to go as well and wants to meet in ct.

Grampie
01-08-2016, 11:13
Google: Connecticut AMC cabin. They have a cabin they rent.

1azarus
01-08-2016, 11:38
Google: Connecticut AMC cabin. They have a cabin they rent.
...just a very few miles from the alander cabin, but across the state line into CT! probably booked up for some time to come-- it is a popular place. and you can drive to it.

Traveler
01-08-2016, 11:46
...just a very few miles from the alander cabin, but across the state line into CT! probably booked up for some time to come-- it is a popular place. and you can drive to it.

I keep forgetting about this little gem in the shadow of Bear Mountain. Might be a good place to consider a WB group meeting of some sort in the future.

rickb
01-08-2016, 13:48
We stayed in a cabin at Savoy Mountain State forest one winter weekend about 5 years ago. Had a small wood stove. Nice spot for hiking, but I recall a good deal of snowmobile noise-- somehow we avoided them on the trails.

The cabin we stayed in looked like it had been untouched since the 60's -- almost too rustic, but fine if you are accustomed to AT shelters. I remember at the time thinking it remarkable they could rent the place out without a carbon monoxide detector. We lived and had fun.

Cannon
01-08-2016, 14:30
I second the Alander Mt. Cabin. Nothing fancy but its a nice hike and the summit isn't far off. Theres a nice view into a valley from up top and enough trails where you can make some decent miles if you want. Day hiked from Mt. Washinton State Forest to Alander then Frissel and back.

Migrating Bird
01-08-2016, 21:15
have a great trip. sounds like it might be just up the street from where you live! That whole area has some really pretty hiking. I suggest you get the free Maprika GPS on Ski Map smartphone app, find the South Taconic Range with Jug end Bushwack map, and use it on your trip. Well, maybe not the bushwack part, but otherwise pretty sweet free detailed map of that whole area.

Regarding maps, the very best hard copy map I have found is the BNRC map. http://www.bnrc.net/zoom_map/southtaconic.htm If there is no snow, the nearest, easiest water source to get to is easterly on the Alander Mt. Trail. Fire wood should be picked up along the Alander Mt. trail some distance from the cabin as the area around the cabin is pretty clean. Great spot. Great sunset views. Nice climb (steep) up from the wests, 3 1/2 miles in from the east but much easier. Just my $.02

Wise Old Owl
01-09-2016, 00:34
Uh I dont get this thread... is he going to buy a cabin or rent or slum it? oops sorry I ment Time share.

Need more impractical Input.